Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ashes of Creation - Battle Royale Highlights

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Mikeha said:
    I dont like this  at all. 

What happened to the mmo that I was really looking forward to? :/ 

I have to agree, 
    Nothing against the game but I didn't realize how much of a PvP this game will be.  I like PvE with a little PvP.

I just assumed :(
    Given Steven's reported background (leader of a large ArcheAge clan and major whale in the game) it is very likely Ashes will be heavily influenced by the ArcheAge model.

I believe Steven has also expressed admiration for CCP / EVE and other (in)famous PVP titles of the past.

I just can't see this being a primary PVE game, more like the next iteration of AA without the crappy cash shop.
    delete5230Waan[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Mikeha said:
    I dont like this  at all. 

What happened to the mmo that I was really looking forward to? :/ 

I have to agree, 
    Nothing against the game but I didn't realize how much of a PvP this game will be.  I like PvE with a little PvP.

I just assumed :(
    Given Steven's reported background (leader of a large ArcheAge clan and major whale in the game) it is very likely Ashes will be heavily influenced by the ArcheAge model.

I believe Steven has also expressed admiration for CCP / EVE and other (in)famous PVP titles of the past.

I just can't see this being a primary PVE game, more like the next iteration of AA without the crappy cash shop.
    I can't really say I was tricked, 
    I simply don't research into backgrounds or interviews. I stumbled onto Ashes of Creation about a year ago, and took the basic information at hand and ran with it. 

-First video displaying Dungeon crawling. 
    -Second video displayed character classes.
    -The basic synapsis was players develop nodes and protect them from PvP.  

It took several months and realizing "hay" all new videos demonstrate PvP….. That's when I realized this game will turn 100% PvP.  

I may play Ashes of Creation depending on quality, hype, population and off timing of other releases. Why?.... because I'm a sheep too, were all sheep and play anything new. 
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I still think the BR thing was a nice idea to test mechanics, but I'm getting the feeling a lot of people have the wrong impression of the game now. Maybe they should have named it differently, although they're obviously trying to target a larger audience this way.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    jahlon said:
    Torval said:
    I'm curious to see how hybrid will go down too. It's either been clunky or one of the two is more favorable so anyone serious or hardcore (all pvp players and some pve players) will use it. If they pull off a cool hybrid system that would be remarkable.

You will have a set number of abilities on your bar.

You will be able to choose up to 75% of one type (action or tab) and the other 25% must come from the other.

So you could be 50/50  40/60  70/30  but you can't be more than 75/25.   
    I've read that. I'm curious how that is supposed to work because movement, dodging, and cover are action attributes. If those are present then those TT skills are just dumbfire no-target spells. I mean action combat games have spells you can cast that don't require targeting or won't miss. ESO has skills like this, but it's still an action system because of the active dodging, stamina, cover, and positioning. Magic Missiles in D&D don't miss even if you try and dodge.

So, I want to see what all that ratio stuff actually means. It's hard to understand their perspective on what those terms mean until I see something more concrete. There are too many ways that could be implemented, too many ways to interpret action and TT without context.
    A lot of MMOs already use this, just look at regular tab target games where you can cast an AOE over a certain area, that part is not tab based, or plunge down a totem, or a well, or a Blizzard.... Only now you will HAVE to use some of these, its nothing new though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Kyleran said:

PvE is the catalyst for almost all the content and progression in this game. You need to PvE to develop civilizations and generate nearby content. Choices in how that content was created will affect nearby dungeons to populate them with a variety of raiding scenarios. Loot tables in these dungeons will drop critical crafting components needed to progress the server. While there will be open world dungeons and raid bosses, there will also be highly competitive 40 man instanced raids for the more hardcore raiders out there. 

The sad thing is Intrepid was working on the foundation for all this (and successfully got nodes to generate dungeons with specific quest and loot tables based on cultural xp) but people wouldn't shut up about their placeholder combat and their "expert opinions" on UE4 server capabilities. So instead of developing PvE mechanics first, they made the mistake of listening to gamers who will never be satisfied. Now we have 7 months of pure large scale PvP testing ahead of us before we can get back to the interesting stuff.
    KyleranjahlonCazriel
  • JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    They stated on one of their live streams they used BR because it  literally took them no time to code and start testing combat.  I don't like BR shit either, but if it gets them data to move faster towards the MMO so be it, since a lot of people do like BR.  
    Cazriel
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Kyleran said:

Sorry was on vacation and couldn't respond easily to these forums, but no Ashes is a "themebox" that has some PvE elements, some PvP elements, and some elements that are comprised of both.  
    Cazriel
    jahlon said:k
    Kyleran said:

Sorry was on vacation and couldn't respond easily to these forums, but no Ashes is a "themebox" that has some PvE elements, some PvP elements, and some elements that are comprised of both.  
    Just like ArcheAge then, which was a mixture of both.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

as is ESO also
    A little different, PVP in ESO is totally avoidable,  not really true in AA.

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

as is ESO also
    A little different, PVP in ESO is totally avoidable,  not really true in AA.
    Im sorry i was referencing that it is a hybrid Tab Target system ..
    Torval said:
    Tab targeting is a misnomer, in my opinion, for a system that uses math to calculate hit, damage, healing, and the entire combat sequence. Typically movement and Line of Sight has little to no influence on the combat formula and outcome. Attacks can hit around corners and out of range if the skill sequence was initiated in range, and so on. There aren't active movement defenses a player or NPC can make. Those are decided by combat math. It's more accurate to call this system die roll (or RNG) based, like PnP. EQ, EQ2, LotRO, WoW, DAoC are the examples

Action combat has active dodging and reticule based targeting for hit purposes. Some systems do allow the player to tab through targets, but that only selects and highlights a target. The reticule must be on the target to hit. Neverwinter, Tera, and ESO are examples.

There can be surefire skills in an action combat system. The D&D magic missile is an example. The missile would still need to be targeted with the reticule even if you could select the target by tabbing. Tabbing to a target in itself isn't sufficient to complete the target.

So, after thinking about it for a while the game would need to have active dodging, reticule based skill execution, and dumb fire skills (through tab or reticule selection) that will hit a select target based on calculations not reticule.

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. I did like the action combat even if the BR format sucked.
    Altho ESO did improve the targeting recently you can still Tab target  thru ... If there are 2 mobs or players one standing directly in front of the other you can TAb the rear target and hit it with single target bow and spells skills , Without hitting the target in front of it , as long as you reticule is in the white border , this is an improvement for sure , and it has it uses in PVE (limited) like taking out a healer ..I actually just went into game and tested to make sure .. And it does work
    [Deleted User]
  • PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134
    I viewed the last test session as what it was.... a Stress Test.
    I put few thoughts into the large glowing items that spewed out of the big glowing chest other than to say to myself, we're testing items, functionality, server stability and if something doesn't work they will know and can look at other implementations. 
    The bunny hopping is what you do in the silly BR games ( am not a fan either) , but if the mode helps the game get moving then great.
    If the game strays too far from what I donated to, meh ... no worries, I'll still get my monies worth out of it over time. 

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    On the PvP front, there's no way to know how successful the PK suppression mechanics will be in the game.  The Ashes Wiki has quite a long list of various consequences of PvP, which the game is not really encouraging outside of sieges or battlegrounds or caravans (moving PvP zone). 

The unfortunate thing is that this could most certainly change.  PvPers tend to be loud and relentless and devs have the unfortunate characteristic of listening to the most persistent voices.  So from a PvE/PvP balanced game with a heavy disincentive for PKing, the game could easily shift to a PvP focused, semi-OW PvP game.  

They already changed their testing schedule to satisfy PvPers who were beginning to trash the game.

I'm not really concerned about the Battle Royale nature of the test this past weekend, as I think it's abundantly clear that this is the easiest mode for a developer to throw up and they were clear about the back end testing they were doing. 

But if Ashes is not carefully balanced between PvE and PvP, the game will become another PvP whale-driven wasteland. 
    delete5230
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Cazriel said:
    On the PvP front, there's no way to know how successful the PK suppression mechanics will be in the game.  The Ashes Wiki has quite a long list of various consequences of PvP, which the game is not really encouraging outside of sieges or battlegrounds or caravans (moving PvP zone). 

The unfortunate thing is that this could most certainly change.  PvPers tend to be loud and relentless and devs have the unfortunate characteristic of listening to the most persistent voices.  So from a PvE/PvP balanced game with a heavy disincentive for PKing, the game could easily shift to a PvP focused, semi-OW PvP game.  

They already changed their testing schedule to satisfy PvPers who were beginning to trash the game.

I'm not really concerned about the Battle Royale nature of the test this past weekend, as I think it's abundantly clear that this is the easiest mode for a developer to throw up and they were clear about the back end testing they were doing. 

But if Ashes is not carefully balanced between PvE and PvP, the game will become another PvP whale-driven wasteland. 
    Why?  Why do developers keep listening to PvP players when they are such a minority in MMO games?  It's not like their being a vocal but small minority is a new phenomenon in MMOs.  The temptation to go with a simpler, PvP-oriented game versus dumping a ton of resources into PvE content must be huge.
  • celtwulfceltwulf Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited October 2018
    Cazriel said:

Why?  Why do developers keep listening to PvP players when they are such a minority in MMO games?  It's not like their being a vocal but small minority is a new phenomenon in MMOs.  The temptation to go with a simpler, PvP-oriented game versus dumping a ton of resources into PvE content must be huge.
    Hell all I want is to try a new MMORPG that is PvE focused & doesn't try to cater to the survival, and now it would seem, the battle royale crowd. Yeah it's great if it has PvP in it but it would seem all new MMOs now are straight up PvP games. Developers create these games trying to follow market trends then bitch & moan when their game is failing in less than 2 years.

PvP games like Overwatch & other hero shooters are huge, but in the MMORPG market PvE is what the majority want. The PvP crowd is the minority. Look at the largest 3 MMOs & all 3 are PvE focused games. I am in no way saying there shouldn't be PvP MMORPGs but I am tired of seeing all these new PvP games being released then fail within a year or 2, then the developer blames the MMORPG crowd instead of taking the blame for their crap decisions, then they usually sell to someone like TENCENT or some other shit company. It has become a vicious cycle.

He did say it was supposed to have some of both but that is very vague. It doesn't tell anyone what the main focus is so most will be wary of it. 
    delete5230
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    celtwulf said:
    Cazriel said:

Hell all I want is to try a new MMORPG that is PvE focused & doesn't try to cater to the survival, and now it would seem, the battle royale crowd. Yeah it's great if it has PvP in it but it would seem all new MMOs now are straight up PvP games. Developers create these games trying to follow market trends then bitch & moan when their game is failing in less than 2 years.

PvP games like Overwatch & other hero shooters are huge, but in the MMORPG market PvE is what the majority want. The PvP crowd is the minority. Look at the largest 3 MMOs & all 3 are PvE focused games. I am in no way saying there shouldn't be PvP MMORPGs but I am tired of seeing all these new PvP games being released then fail within a year or 2, then the developer blames the MMORPG crowd instead of taking the blame for their crap decisions, then they usually sell to someone like TENCENT or some other shit company. It has become a vicious cycle.

He did say it was supposed to have some of both but that is very vague. It doesn't tell anyone what the main focus is so most will be wary of it. 
    This is what I'm thinking.

If the game is developed with a PvP struggle ,,,, The game will turn totally PvP regardless of developers intentions.  It's like the cows got loose and the farmer can't round them up, it got out of control. 

This posting got me thinking.  The Overwatch & other shooter fans will be vocal and make the game seem a positive direction..... But what developers don't see, is this group is short lived, they move on leaving it a waist land. 

I agree mmorpg market PvE is what the majority want, but that's not what their gonna get. 

Eventually this game will cater to no one. The Overwatch people will be gone and the mmorpg people will be gone.
    celtwulf
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think I am start a no bunny hopping campaign for all gaming. :)
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    I said this the moment they released what this game is about, if something is too good to be true...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• OscillateOscillate Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Companies like this, are what is wrong within the mmorpg genre.  Following the money, instead of trying to create a unique and in-depth game.  Makes me sick.

You could not pay me to support this.  Its pathetic.
    Theocritus

(Akiraosc)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    This is why many of us don't support kickstarter projects...They mislead you one direction then change the game to whatever is popular and youre out whatever you donated.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Ive taken this title off my radar, simply because of seeing battle royale attached 
  • AngreeegamerAngreeegamer Member UncommonPosts: 59
    This is why many of us don't support kickstarter projects...They mislead you one direction then change the game to whatever is popular and youre out whatever you donated.

boris20 said:
    Ive taken this title off my radar, simply because of seeing battle royale attached 

Oscillate said:
    Companies like this, are what is wrong within the mmorpg genre.  Following the money, instead of trying to create a unique and in-depth game.  Makes me sick.

You could not pay me to support this.  Its pathetic.

I said this the moment they released what this game is about, if something is too good to be true...

I'm going to start a collection of screenshots like this so we can all have a laugh at your expense when Alpha Phase 2 starts up. So many uninformed drama queens on here. No wonder devs never invite us back into the kitchen this early on. 
    jahlon
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

I'm going to start a collection of screenshots like this so we can all have a laugh at your expense when Alpha Phase 2 starts up. So many uninformed drama queens on here. No wonder devs never invite us back into the kitchen this early on. 

The worst part is this entire 7 months of testing was changed up BECAUSE people were worried about combat.

In December we will see 100 vs 100 Castle Sieges
    In March we will see Horde Mode which is the testing of the mob AI.

In Q2 next year we see the MMO in action again, which if people remember, they've already let people go hands on with.

Its like when other games have done testing where they just drop people into a coliseum to do testing.   Intrepid went like an extra 20 miles do make it a fun mode to play, and that is somehow bad.   

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    jahlon said:

The worst part is this entire 7 months of testing was changed up BECAUSE people were worried about combat.

Its like when other games have done testing where they just drop people into a coliseum to do testing.   Intrepid went like an extra 20 miles do make it a fun mode to play, and that is somehow bad.   

People were worried about the game's previous incarnation of combat because it was that ridiculous "rhythmic" style where you when you attacked you would get a bar and then you pressed the button again when an indicator that was moving back and forth was inside a section inside the bar.
    No one expected or wanted them to go to the complete opposite extreme to third person shooter combat. That kind of shift tells us that the game is having an identity crisis internally and in trouble.

NO ONE wanted or asked for a Battle Royale mode when they first saw this game. The previous time they showed it off was to highlight trinity gameplay in a dungeon with traditional combat. Then they do a complete 180 degree turn and show us a third person shooter style Battle Royale PvP?!
    Dont chase fads! It never works! We've seen a dozen other MMOs implement BR modes with zero success. Again this tells us that the game is trouble.

Also, you can say "these are just tests, the game isnt in trouble" all you want but it will fall on deaf ears. That is what these tests are projecting to us, the consumers.
    Stop wasting time and money recreating the game in different for genres for these tests. Whats next? A Madden NFL version to test player collision? Or how about a Mario Kart version to test mounts?