Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Demo Tour & Comparison to 2005 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Looks good. I'm looking forward to getting into this sorta remastered Vanilla. Though I will only level, as there's no way in hell I'm doing 40-man raiding. Although might be easier to get into now that most people will likely know everything about 'em
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Unlike other games that reboot a legacy server (eq, rift, lotro) this isn't the current game with expansions locked, its patch 1.12 with modern backend. It also appears the content will be progressive as naxx has been removed. If it does end up as a release over time server then I doubt its going to die in a month as many as the naysayers would love to believe.
    mikeb0817
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    One thing that will be interesting is how many servers there will be. I would think you will need a healthy committed population to allow the auction house to flourish and the game to work. This was straight forward all those years ago because it was in the moment and was en-vogue.

Another point is to whom Classic is going to appeal to. If you are already invested in BFA and are very much part of the gearing system you will virtually have to give up one game for another which will be very difficult especially with all the new content on the horizon. I like BFA and I of course liked Vanilla but realize that you could not realistically pursue both, unless you don't work or have zero commitments.

If Classic is for those who have become disenchanted with the franchise and yearn for yesteryear then just how many are we realistically talking about. I think those who came to WOW late will not get on with Classic at all ..... it really is a time sink and huge grind.

Will be interesting. Then two years down the line will a Classic Burning Crusade be added and then Wrath ..... I take it after that Classic is no longer applicable ?

Intriguing stuff ....
    esc-joconnor
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Are there any differences? Do hunters have ammo bags?
    Yep, they most certainly do. I'd also imagine no flying mounts either. Hunters having to feed their pets. My only question would be, will both factions have access to Paladins and Shamans because I don't remember when Blizzard made that gigantic mistake.
    That mistake was made with the burning crusade, along with resilience imho.
    PhryThupli[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ImNotHarryImNotHarry Member UncommonPosts: 27
    You could've wait one week, come on.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Aori said:

I'm a bit excited to play, I didn't play all the classes back in vanilla, you just didn't have that kind of time to have alts. I'll probably make a Paladin this round and see if I can use what I know to make prot pally work. Now if I can get my hands on a Skullflame shield...

That or I make a hunter and rush to 30s and tame brokentooth. choices.. choices..

Well to be honest there was no such thing as prot pally... They could at best tank level 50 dungeons and that's about it. Paladins for raiding were all holy and for PvP were all Retribution and that was it. Prot pallies didn't have the toolkit to maintain aggro. That was added in later expansions.

A lot of the classes don't really have more than 2 specs, some even one if we are being realistic. It depends on whether it's for PvP or PvE.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2018

Strycker said:

Wait wait wait!

You can't compare Classic to a private server and call it 2005.

Even his character in the private server is lvl 255, WTF is this even doing here?

The 2005 private server client is literally the 2005 client as it was in 2005. Private servers don't modify client-side files (graphics).

To play on private servers you download the exact same client that was distributed then

Water ripple effects were changed in WOTLK from TBC, so was fire. Those effects appear to be the later. OK, I did take a look back and these do appear to be original.
    A question ..

... Is it the consensus that Classic will be supported by enough keen players to maintain it properly, including the 40 man raids and an ever buoyant Auction House  .... or will it be a brief nostalgic journey ?

...not a troll post, a genuine question.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited October 2018
    Bukkerz said:
    A question ..

... Is it the consensus that Classic will be supported by enough keen players to maintain it properly, including the 40 man raids and an ever buoyant Auction House  .... or will it be a brief nostalgic journey ?

Ignoring the argument that people only play vanilla WoW for free on free servers

Pretty high probably as far as considering how much people like vanilla compared to now. If it was nostalgia, people playing the current most popular free server (with about 7k on average online at once) would have quit and abandoned it and moved to servers that are on newer expansions. 

Where the people say they only play for free are probably right, well...will fans of vanilla move to blizzard classic servers and spend 15 a month when they can just play for free instead? That is the part that remains to be seen.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Bukkerz said:
    A question ..

Tough question. I doubt Blizzard know so I would expect Blizzard to use some sort of server cluster / mega-server type tech that they can flex. Which means we won't have any idea either - unless things are so good they release a press release etc.

Past experience of other games that have done this suggests that a) some new or previous players will return b) some players on the existing "current" WoW servers will shift. Resulting in an initial bump followed by a decline - with some returning to the old servers only to find them in a state of chaos (if 50% of current players shift say - not unknown - you get chaos.)

How it plays out could well depend on how what sort of path Blizzard decide to tread. What does "classic" mean?

In another thread I suggested they might announce that the next expansion would be for vanilla and not for current WoW. Vanilla becoming essentially the "new WoW".  

How they play it will influence longevity. Maybe vanilla will launch as vanilla. And the 12 content patches that followed release are rolled out as they were back then - but every month rather than every 2 months. And then do BC and its patches in year 2. Followed by a brand new expansion. Followed by WotLK and its content patches. That might excite quite a few folk. And that would be a 3 year timeline. 

Whilst it probably won't be as big as it was it could, I think, be bigger than current WoW. I think Blizzard would settle for that. 

Bukkerz
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Jokes on you guys: I made every bit of this video using Maya Autodesk.  Got 'em!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Nyctelios said:
    Bukkerz said:
    A question ..

Ignoring the argument that people only play vanilla WoW for free on free servers

Pretty high probably as far as considering how much people like vanilla compared to now. If it was nostalgia, people playing the current most popular free server (with about 7k on average online at once) would have quit and abandoned it and moved to servers that are on newer expansions. 

Where the people say they only play for free are probably right, well...will fans of vanilla move to blizzard classic servers and spend 15 a month when they can just play for free instead? That is the part that remains to be seen.
    Why would anyone pay for a game if any game on GoG is drm free?

Well because some people actually want to give their money in exchange for a good product / service? Fuck them, right?
    exactly

Sadly, people will play free to play junk MMOs (that almost always cost more on cash shop and make the player spend a lot more) than a pay to play MMO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    edited October 2018

Kootur said:

People are gonna play it for about 2 months and then get bored of it and wonder why they wanted this.

You are soo right, i mean its not like every classic private server is full from the moment its created until the moment it dies...oh wait

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Bukkerz said:

A question ..

At first yes, and after while only guilds will be running the content, then after awhile it will start to die out fully given the stagnant nature of never getting new content. You can only gear out so many alts, but hey at least who ever wants warlord for the week wont have a ton of competition after the first year

Kootur said:

People are gonna play it for about 2 months and then get bored of it and wonder why they wanted this.

You are soo right, i mean its not like every classic private server is full from the moment its created until the moment it dies...oh wait

Do they last more than a year?

gervaise1 said:

Bukkerz said:

A question ..

Tough question. I doubt Blizzard know so I would expect Blizzard to use some sort of server cluster / mega-server type tech that they can flex. Which means we won't have any idea either - unless things are so good they release a press release etc.

Past experience of other games that have done this suggests that a) some new or previous players will return b) some players on the existing "current" WoW servers will shift. Resulting in an initial bump followed by a decline - with some returning to the old servers only to find them in a state of chaos (if 50% of current players shift say - not unknown - you get chaos.)

How it plays out could well depend on how what sort of path Blizzard decide to tread. What does "classic" mean?

In another thread I suggested they might announce that the next expansion would be for vanilla and not for current WoW. Vanilla becoming essentially the "new WoW".  

How they play it will influence longevity. Maybe vanilla will launch as vanilla. And the 12 content patches that followed release are rolled out as they were back then - but every month rather than every 2 months. And then do BC and its patches in year 2. Followed by a brand new expansion. Followed by WotLK and its content patches. That might excite quite a few folk. And that would be a 3 year timeline. 

Whilst it probably won't be as big as it was it could, I think, be bigger than current WoW. I think Blizzard would settle for that. 

As fun as restarting the time line could be, it wont happen. Classic is a side project for them, Main wow will continue to grow and Classic will remain what it is, a museum to show were wow came from. Because if they did start updating it with "New" expansions over time it would just need to be made again, cuz "Classic is dah best" and then they would have to kill another iteration of wow. Live will continue to grow, classic will stagnate and make for a good content lul time killer for most.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    For there to be a true classic... you need both a PVP realm and a PVE realm. None of this sharding bullshit. If they only have one server type, it can't be classic.

True classic has contested zones, so there will be PVP on a PVE server no matter what. You enter the opposing faction zones... flagged you became. None of this you you must be within aggro range of a guard sort of thing, you were flagged the moment you entered the zone. If they change that, it isn't classic... most private servers that are PVE altered the PVP ruleset to make it more like retail, not original WoW.

That's how Southshore and Taren Mill were born... as well as Stranglethorn Vale. These areas were well know for the PVP that was going on.

There's just so much that Blizzard will fuck with that only a private server will ever truly come the closest to what it truly was.

Oh, it will sell, sell like hot cakes because how could it not? You have the atrocity of retail WoW to drive them there in droves. Will they stay there? Of course not. That really isn't the intention. The intention is to give players something to play that they currently aren't playing. If it does really well, I wouldn't put it past Blizzard doing the same for every expansion that follows... because in the end, all they care about is subscriptions and all the players care about is something different to play. And Classic will surely be different.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Rhoklaw said:
    @tawess Yes, you've made it clear with your dozens of anti-classic WoW comments that you aren't a fan of what some people enjoy. Imagine that, people enjoying a game you don't!
    You can enjoy what ever the heck you want.. no kink-shaming here... 

But the "classic wow" people as a mass brought this on to them self.. Seeings as we have had years upon years of these people proclaiming that not only is what they like superior but we are sheeple that does not see it... 

So... You my dearest @rhoklaw will have to put up with my anti-classic bullshit for well... as long as i care about it. 

But as i said... if that sort of self-flagellation is what floats your boat.. more power to you. 

This have been a good conversation

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I was there day 1 of release,so i know vanilla very well.I was trying Wow after a week of trying EQ2.

All the time i was already playing FFXI for quite some time,so i had a very good feel for what rpg's were doing.
    Entered Wow,a very boring introduction,no effort was put into the initial experience which most realize is quite important.Looked around,nothing much to see,a caravan and a couple npc's with a marker over their head to click.
    My immediate reaction was...this is NOT how i want my rpg to play out.Lasted that whole day but was not impressed by anything,i was actually feeling more inclined to get back to playing EQ2.

Bottom line,EQ2 held my interest way more than Wow did as Wow actually was doing NOTHING for the genre that i had not already seen and then some.

So is this what people/gamer's really want,a boring mmorpg experience?
    You know what i think,people have played it a lot,they know the game inside out and want to RACE off to show off,run around playing 24/7,look at me level 50 already.Problem is ,it is not fun,classes were not fun for me and neither is the combat.

Fast forward many years and guess what,classes and combat are still crap,like really crap.So where is the FUN factor,gaining levels?riding around on a chopper?looking for npc's with a marker over their head to click?

A big time over rated game.I can't say it is a really bad game but i can say it does nothing very well,a few good quests out of the thousand ++ do not make a HQ mmorpg.A bunch of instances do not make a HQ mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited October 2018
    XA20X said:
    I have zero faith in Blizz not to screw this up. Wait, I take that back. I have negative faith in Blizz not to fuck this up. Anyone who thinks they're smart enough to just throw up classic servers that have the game the way it was, untouched, has not been playing Blizz games very long. If it's fun, or enjoyable in anyway, you can expect Blizz to ruin it somehow. "Nerfing fun since 2004!" Could be their company missions statement, like officially, and it wouldn't even get me to bat an eye.

I don't know how they could possibly screw this up, but believe you me they will find a way come hell or high water.
    I honestly can't really see Blizzard doing it right.

I can remember the first time I played WOW, the experience was awesome, having to run dungeons, do attunements, and everything.

Then Blizzard came out with pre-patches, and burning crusade the put limits on the original talents that were there specifically killed mages POM/Arcane Power / Pyroblast combo, this is where i pretty much started seeing the game go down-hill.

Then comes burning crusade, which the lore to me made no sense to how aliens supposedly crashed from the sky would have been acceptable lore aka Draeni, then never really saw lore around Blood-Elves how they even came to exist in the game this was not really made clear in-game itself and where Blizzard kinda started killing the experience for me.

Assuming Blizzard can remove the new talent system from classic servers, bring back the old talent system the way it was in the first place, and add proper lore / story to in-game, as well as make crafting feel worthit again, then perhaps the game will be worth giving another try but I don't see Blizzard doing this any time soon.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Wizardry said:

So is this what people/gamer's really want,a boring mmorpg experience?
    You know what i think,people have played it a lot,they know the game inside out and want to RACE off to show off,run around playing 24/7,look at me level 50 already.Problem is ,it is not fun,classes were not fun for me and neither is the combat.

Its funny you bring this up, because this is exactly what the private servers are like. people power level and race to level 60 then thump their chest and tell everybody how bad ass they are. then they are bored so they camp lower levels on pvp servers. then they quit. or they only log on to raid, because they beat the game.

If people honestly really wanted to play vanilla, they could right now on a private server its so easy to google and play, and its free.

but just like the expansions these sheep are going to flock to vanilla pay blizzard money then be disapointed and quit within a month or 2.

Bukkerz said:

A question ..

At first yes, and after while only guilds will be running the content, then after awhile it will start to die out fully given the stagnant nature of never getting new content. You can only gear out so many alts, but hey at least who ever wants warlord for the week wont have a ton of competition after the first year

This is also my concern. For me part of playing WOW was the constant excitement with news regarding future content and direction which is part of the reason this website exists and in my opinion does such a fantastic job across the board with all MMO'S .... I literally have looked at it everyday for over a decade.

With Classic after the initial burst they will have to engineer a way of introducing some sort of unique future content, maybe even adding new dungeons and raids that are just written for Classic .... a sort of off shoot but still new and therefore attractive and continually relevant.

Did think the old PVP title / rank system was brilliant though ... even if I am a humble 'Grunt' hehehe
    Rhoklaw said:
    tawess said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    @tawess Yes, you've made it clear with your dozens of anti-classic WoW comments that you aren't a fan of what some people enjoy. Imagine that, people enjoying a game you don't!

But the "classic wow" people as a mass brought this on to them self.. Seeings as we have had years upon years of these people proclaiming that not only is what they like superior but we are sheeple that does not see it... 

So... You my dearest @rhoklaw will have to put up with my anti-classic bullshit for well... as long as i care about it. 

But as i said... if that sort of self-flagellation is what floats your boat.. more power to you. 
    No, what you had years upon years of, was people complaining about private servers. It's also nothing to do with superiority. Classic WoW wasn't a watered down, participation trophy handout that is currently the WoW of today. I know, challenging gameplay may sound superior to some, but that isn't what people were pointing out. Most classic fans are just tired of kiddy games.
    If that is the narrative you go with... By all means... Let your boat float and tug away at the rudder. I will not stop you. Especially as i do not need to... Nobody can force me to play classic again and there is no way in bloody hell i will. I am glad you got your slice of pie. But i´l stick to mine. 

But do no try to sell me the idea that the people raving about the excellence of vanilla custard pie did not more than once put the other types of pie and their consumers down. Because sweetheart.. that did happen. Maybe YOU did not do it.. But enough did that i will gleefully take every stab i can at the glory of classic. 

Enjoy you vanilla custard pie.  

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    tawess said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    tawess said:
    Rhoklaw said:

No, what you had years upon years of, was people complaining about private servers. It's also nothing to do with superiority. Classic WoW wasn't a watered down, participation trophy handout that is currently the WoW of today. I know, challenging gameplay may sound superior to some, but that isn't what people were pointing out. Most classic fans are just tired of kiddy games.
    If that is the narrative you go with... By all means... Let your boat float and tug away at the rudder. I will not stop you. Especially as i do not need to... Nobody can force me to play classic again and there is no way in bloody hell i will. I am glad you got your slice of pie. But i´l stick to mine. 

But do no try to sell me the idea that the people raving about the excellence of vanilla custard pie did not more than once put the other types of pie and their consumers down. Because sweetheart.. that did happen. Maybe YOU did not do it.. But enough did that i will gleefully take every stab i can at the glory of classic. 

Enjoy you vanilla custard pie.  
    I hope that you can see the contradiction in your post.

No one cares if you don't buy the pie. But people do care that you showed up intending to block everyone else from buying Vanilla Custard. You are doing the same thing that you accuse others of doing.

Honestly, I don't give a shit who said what or who did what about the "pies" you like, I just want to get in line to buy me a slice of that Vanilla Custard pie that smells so good from here.

Rhoklaw said:

LOL, you're the one who came to this thread commenting with your anti-classic rhetoric, so what did you expect? Your excuse is also weak, but who cares. A lot of people make vengeful posts, so nothing new there. Just think it's funny you get bent of out of shape when someone responds to one of your posts and you make it seem like it's unexpected. Trolls will be trolls.
    Ah... That is where the misunderstanding comes in... Not in the slightest bent out of shape... Now if you actually have done enough digging around to look up my other posts... You should have at least one or two examples of me actually getting bent out of shape... This.. This is simply me having some fun. 

But to be honest i did find your dedication to me a bit unexpected... =D 

I wish i could say the same.. But to be honest i have no real clue who you are.. Sorry... 

Anyway i am also honest when i say i am glad you will have your slice of pie. I have no horse in the race as i do not own Blizzard stock.

Still... There is a big step between hard and difficult.... Vanilla was hard... Not difficult... Much like climbing 40 flights of stairs... Hard.. Not difficult. 

Current WoW... Difficult... But perhaps not all that hard. (especially as far as leveling goes.. but then again it is about twice as much of it to do level wise... So without catch up mechanics it would be orc monopoly.. Not very good for player engagement)