Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft Demo Tour & Comparison to 2005 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft Demo Tour & Comparison to 2005 - MMORPG.com

Blizzard announced earlier this week that Blizzcon Virtual Ticket holders could download the World of Warcraft Classic demo that will "only become available" once the convention begins next Friday. But that type of thing is usually seen as a challenge and someone took it up. YouTuber "dodgykebaab" managed to get into the demo without monsters or NPCs to make a comparison video between the "new" Classic and a 2005 version of World of Warcraft.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Looks like the original... oh wait, it IS the original just on a different engine.
  • AlpiusAlpius Member UncommonPosts: 247
    Shadows! Shadows everywhere!
    GaladournLeiHngWei
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    I am so hyped for this, even if its a 6 month honeymoon!
    jgDuffayTriddlePhrydarkhalf357x
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited October 2018
    But is it truly vanilla? Can you still see normally with invisibility pots and use them in conjunction with shadow meld? Because that was kind of my thing. Invis pot/SM into Orgrimmar on my NE hunter and gank every mofo I could. Kill.... FD...invis pot... run and then SM. LOL good times.

Not as easy as it sounds because of waiting on cool downs and avoiding the guards that detect stealth characters. Good fun tho!
    Thupli
  • wildarms2wildarms2 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    the 2 videos he used are both hacked version not battle.net why is this click bait here
    NotEvadingTaxFraudMensurTheFalcro

moo all

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2018
    wildarms2 said:
    the 2 videos he used are both hacked version not battle.net why is this click bait here
    The 2018 demo footage is taken from the one that is currently available to download via, you guessed it...BattleNet! :)

Besides, it's Saturday and why not? LOL such a grumpy reaction to something fun. :)

@WalkinGlenn I kind of wondered if the "2005" version footage was taken from a private server that probably has all sorts of improvements.
    RolanStormMensur[Deleted User]mikeb0817

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    Wouldn't it be cool if we could contain our hopes, just in case Blizzard and the "You think you do, but you don't" guy running the company let us down. The same guy who was recorded saying "You think you want Legacy servers, but you don't." Just dont be surprised if LFG is a thing, cause that same guy said "LFG is an amazing tool. No one wants to sit in towns shouting for tanks."
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    i really dont see a vast improvement. but thats just me. hope everyone that plays it enjoys it. been done with wow.
    JeffSpicoli
  • knightauditknightaudit Member UncommonPosts: 389

SBFord said:

wildarms2 said:

The 2018 demo footage is taken from the one that is currently available to download via, you guessed it...BattleNet! :)

Besides, it's Saturday and why not? LOL such a grumpy reaction to something fun. :)

@WalkinGlenn I kind of wondered if the "2005" version footage was taken from a private server that probably has all sorts of improvements.

I have to question the viability of the footage, in recent blizz said that you would only have access to certain zones, Blasted lands was not part of that. Also the 2005 footage looks improved over what it should be. I would still like to know the source just to be sure.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

. It's Classic World of Warcraft without all the watered down, disgustingly easy approach to content.

That hardly anyone of the paying general mass cared to keep around... But i am glad that you now have your little slice of what ever purgatory you call heaven. =)

Personally... As a Druid... I never want to or will put my foot in classic...
    GhavriggAalamrWhiskeydust

This have been a good conversation

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited October 2018
    As a Druid, I much preferred classic as it allowed me to actually play a hybrid class rather than play one aspect at a time. The same goes for my sad little Shaman.
    ThupliRolanStorm

• PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    run the 05 portion in 240p seems closer to what I remember
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    As a Druid, I much preferred classic as it allowed me to actually play a hybrid class rather than play one aspect at a time. The same goes for my sad little Shaman.
    i preferred bc & wotlk as a druid. in bc i got the flightform and in wotlk i truly enjoyed all of the specs. 
    Gobstopper3D

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I personally don't see any real difference although I like the 2005 WOW better than the new Expansions and content since Burning Crusade.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It's only comparing graphics.. and that's probably the least important thing about classic WoW and why people want it.
    XarkoXingbairongdarkhalf357x
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    People are gonna play it for about 2 months and then get bored of it and wonder why they wanted this.
    GhavriggBeezerbeezAalamrborghive49XingbairongRolanStorm
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Kootur said:
    People are gonna play it for about 2 months and then get bored of it and wonder why they wanted this.
    so more than current WoW? :D
    JemAs666Alderslearis1[Deleted User]Beezerbeezborghive49XarkoNevereverlandGaladournXingbairongand 3 others.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    More interested in gameplay and how similar it is to vanilla, than graphics

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• XA20XXA20X Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited October 2018
    I have zero faith in Blizz not to screw this up. Wait, I take that back. I have negative faith in Blizz not to fuck this up. Anyone who thinks they're smart enough to just throw up classic servers that have the game the way it was, untouched, has not been playing Blizz games very long. If it's fun, or enjoyable in anyway, you can expect Blizz to ruin it somehow. "Nerfing fun since 2004!" Could be their company missions statement, like officially, and it wouldn't even get me to bat an eye.

I don't know how they could possibly screw this up, but believe you me they will find a way come hell or high water.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Wait wait wait!
    You can't compare Classic to a private server and call it 2005.
    Even his character in the private server is lvl 255, WTF is this even doing here?
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Kootur said:
    so more than current WoW? :D
    We have a winner.
    [Deleted User]RolanStorm
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well all I saw was that they kept the latest character models as far as the poly count goes. Scenery is about same except the the water at the one point. Nothing much else to go on from the video, but we shouldn't expect much from this video. Remember the demo in this video isn't live so all you can see is that scenery graphics aren't that much different from the current client and that's it.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110

Wait wait wait!

You can't compare Classic to a private server and call it 2005.

Even his character in the private server is lvl 255, WTF is this even doing here?

The 2005 private server client is literally the 2005 client as it was in 2005. Private servers don't modify client-side files (graphics).

To play on private servers you download the exact same client that was distributed then
    Thupli
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Kootur said:

The difference between current WoW(BfA, Legion etc..) and Classic is that you actually have stuff to do for way more than 2 months. Nothing was just given to you. 2 months in the game 85% of people will probably still have low level blue gear(not talking the sets).
    Even if we exclude anything else just the PvP alone is more than enough to want to play Classic. True everyone was getting 1-2 shotted left and right, but it was more fun than what PvP is now.
    I personally will be playing it for as long as there is classic and I'm pretty sure that from the millions of players that have played the game there are bound to be at least 20-50-100k players and that's more than enough for Classic to be bustling with groups and guilds.

Also I don't really get the point of trying to downplay it. The fact that there are private servers and from what I've seen people are willing to pay hefty sums to have someone level their chars is proof enough that there are plenty of people who want classic. You wouldn't have your current WoW experience changed. You will continue to get an expansion every 2 years with 1 month of worthwhile gameplay, so what's the issue?
    RolanStormmikeb0817
  • BalticthunderBalticthunder Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I bet it all will be about rush, who will be the first at completing content. I can see how there is already groups of people planning and warming up for this rush. But when that will be done, they are gone and game will be left for few curious to see how it was back then.