Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMOs you've "re"-logged in for holiday events?

anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
So are there any MMOs that you've generally stopped playing, but then when a holiday event rolled around you logged in to grab the limited time swag?

I know that Runescape has got me a handful of times.   Mostly because I have a character there, it's darn easy to, and it's interesting to see how they handled the event lorewise (because the gymanastics they'll go through to justify it can be pretty amusing, especially when compared to other games).    Though I would never bother with this now since the events are dailies and time/token gated content, rather than a fun sized quest.

FFXIV got me once.   Though mostly through seeing Youtube meme-i-ness about it and realizing I forgot to unsub.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I generally avoid Holiday events , most are immersion smashing shit , I even completed the Reindeer event Quest in Vanguard just so i could kill the Reindeer mount ..

Some are not so offensive but most are terrible imo
    VestigeGamer
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    I used to always return to WoW to try to get that damn Headless Horseman mount, needless to say I've given up now and partly because they keep changing the level requirement and because I never seem to get it even when I am able to participate.

imageimage

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Nowadays you can participate from level 20+ I think, or some other low level.
    I don't know because I already have the mount ( :p) but they removed the level requirement and made it scaling.
    Well that's good but I ain't gonna be drawn back into it lol. Thanks for letting me know though.

imageimage

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    No, the "events" in mmorpgs never interest me.  The work involved for the trivial reward just isn't worth it.
    VestigeGamer
  • ookibakaookibaka Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Not sure if that is entirely true for WoW.  I think to get the mount you have to be able to get the epic loot/reward bag which is 100+.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited October 2018
    No, I usually don't log into an MMO I haven't played in awhile just for the holiday events.  That said, I do usually log into some MMO's I haven't played in awhile during the holidays because of the sales and special offers they usually have.
    Post edited by Octagon7711 on

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    I rarely participated in Holiday Events with MMOs. I definitely don't re-log just for them. I don't know exactly why, but none of them grabbed me.
    Zeppel80AlBQuirky

VG

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I rarely participated in Holiday Events with MMOs. I definitely don't re-log just for them. I don't know exactly why, but none of them grabbed me.
    Pretty much the same for me. I think I dabbled in WoW's Dark Faire (?) Halloween stuff once. Just a bunch of busy work, in my opinion.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• IwayloIwaylo Member UncommonPosts: 174
    I don't re-log MMORPGs because of events, but i do once in a (long) while log back in to some of the MMORPGs i stopped just to see if my account is still up and see if i can recognize someone online, see how's the game etc etc.  
    For example i played Tera for 2 years and stopped around the time Reaper class released. I logged few months ago to see how are stuff. Spoke with some peeps, generally didn't feel like "making a come back" and logged off, tho that might be because i'm currently active in another MMORPG. I believe i also logged to my account in a big private wow server too and i kinda plan to revisit some other MMORPGs i've played for a while long time ago.
    AlBQuirky
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I log into GW2 to do the holiday jumping puzzles.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Nope.  When I leave I don't come back.  Cause I they wouldn't listen to a development idea I had that would improve gameplay.  Not bitter.  Just lost interest.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I used to log back into GW2 for some Holiday Fun.. even after HoT, but.. as of late.. I can't even bring myself to do that anymore. And they used to have just fun festivals.

Trove has me going back tho every expansion or event...  I still jump in from time to time.. to see what they cooked up.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I also was tempted to log into GW2. Their holiday stuff is a real hoot. 
    anemo

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    My entire leveling experience in Rift Prime was completely smashed by the halloween event - to the point where i just stopped logging in. I level up by questing and following the story line, and close to every single NPC in the game has pumpkin heads on them right now. Not a few, but ALL of them. Critters, wolves, monsters, bosses, kings, queens, peasants.
    AlBQuirky
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Anarchy Online and ESO
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I despise "holiday" events in MMORPGs, distracts me from my progression plan and the completionist in me wriths in agony if I chose to ignore the event.

That said, I have signed up twice for EVE anniversaries (10 and 15 yr) to get the free stuff so I guess that sort of counts.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Stopped playing EQ2 years ago but I always log back in for Winterland during Christmas every year.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Kyleran said:
    I despise "holiday" events in MMORPGs, distracts me from my progression plan and the completionist in me wriths in agony if I chose to ignore the event.

That said, I have signed up twice for EVE anniversaries (10 and 15 yr) to get the free stuff so I guess that sort of counts.
    It's worked the opposite for me in EVE.    When interest goes up, I'll find out I missed an event (SoCT ones) and decide against resubbing for missing that.
    Kyleran

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."