Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map voting announced

Comments

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Well this "community" event is coming along nicely. So far one server has had a very public drama event, all over the forums. Another server had an private drama event between two kingdoms. Everyone is thinking OCE is trolling all the other servers, when really we don't even care enough to vote. Some are waiting for duchy lines to be added in, with Caspian replying with "they aren't important". Well clearly they are to some if they keep asking for them. So we have no idea when they are coming, apart from "soon".

The only plus from this whole event, at least the hatred towards kingdoms has been increased. So no doubt when launch happens. Enough wars will be starting from it.
    AnOldFart
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    You think this is a mess? Wait until launch.
    There will be a lot more than Dutchy Lines missing.

TorrskAnOldFart

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

You think this is a mess? Wait until launch.
    There will be a lot more than Dutchy Lines missing.

I do agree there. Just this whole event was pushed as "a positive community event to bring everyone active". The point it's been said over and over "no other game does this". Maybe cause people can't even handle themselves over something so small, more so when most of the maps all look the same anyway.

For a community that keeps saying they are more mature than the other gaming communities. It's not even funny anymore, it's just sad. Not that every community is like this, but enough.
    Slapshot1188
    The community has spent around $5M on the game.  The bulk of that was securing in game advantages. The highest donor is a guy literally named “GhettoMaster”. The very first chance given, the guy with the highest influence attempted to troll another player by using his spot to select the other guys name...

One doesn’t need to be a Harbinger to see where this is going.  Just wait until the griefing includes In game PvP with looting and loss of territory and possessions people spent money on.  Just wait until folks use their accounts to just repeatedly kill other players and cause them to lose their life and thus cost them real life money with every death.

This game is a griefers dream...and the griefing started years before launch...
    KyleranAnOldFartMadFrenchieGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    If the game is released none of the Kingdoms will remain as they currently are, I would imagine splintering happening all over the map and loads of "robber baron" Kingdoms forming.

Then these "Kingdoms" will form massive alliances.
    This will then involve territory being carved up, and eventually no proper wars just lots of pointless skirmishes. 

Just like nullsec in eve. 

The only difference is there is no high sec
    KyleranGdemami
    As of today 27% of eligible community members have voted.  Per Caspien 
    Kyleran

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Make CoE great again!
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Most are waiting closer to the end of the time limit 
    Kyleran
    AnOldFart said:
    4 hours left.  41% of ELIGIBLE players have voted.  Will there be a big vote in the next few hours or a big yawn?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    AnOldFart said:
    4 hours left.  41% of ELIGIBLE players have voted.  Will there be a big vote in the next few hours or a big yawn?

My guess is a big push in the final hours

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

LOL... typical Clusterfuck on Discord

Per Caspien: 
    -Someone put a lot of influence into voting, and then went and fucked up by messing with the JavaScript and WebAPI

-There's almost 170,000 influence being removed from the competition.

-A group of people realized that we deployed an update to the website this morning that allows you to vote on maps for Oceanus now, if you bypass the website and send messages directly to our Web API.

------------------------
    Another example of the benevolent nature of the community that would never do anything less than honorable.  It's OK!   TRUST THE NOBLES!

KyleranMendelWellspringLokero

Per Caspien: 
    -Someone put a lot of influence into voting, and then went and fucked up by messing with the JavaScript and WebAPI

-A group of people realized that we deployed an update to the website this morning that allows you to vote on maps for Oceanus now, if you bypass the website and send messages directly to our Web API.

------------------------
    Another example of the benevolent nature of the community that would never do anything less than honorable.  It's OK!   TRUST THE NOBLES!

Never under estimate the evil genius of modern video gamers.
    Mendel

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2018

Per Caspien: 

------------------------

Lmao, how anyone can think a PvP game created by this amateur-hour team will be anything short of a complete and utter disaster...  It's mind-boggling.

EDIT- this is also the first time I think I've ever seen a gamer hack a video game developer's product before the video game developer even has a video game to hack.  Impressive in the worst way.
    KyleranAnOldFartGdemami

Per Caspien: 

------------------------

Lmao, how anyone can think a PvP game created by this amateur-hour team will be anything short of a complete and utter disaster...  It's mind-boggling.

EDIT- this is also the first time I think I've ever seen a gamer hack a video game developer's product before the video game developer even has a video game to hack.  Impressive in the worst way.
    It will truly test their Role Playing ability as Game Developers...

MadFrenchie

this is also the first time I think I've ever seen a gamer hack a video game developer's product before the video game developer even has a video game to hack.  
    Should this game ever get to a stage they call "released" I am quite sure it will be like what Mortal Online had.

You know with hackers taking both the game and the website hostage and the devs being unable to do anything about it.
    Slapshot1188MadFrenchie
    Harbinger of Fools
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Per Caspien: 

------------------------

These are the same people who claim to be able to duplicate SpatialOS using open source software? And will be the ones responsible for preventing hackers and exploits from happening in-game?

And they didn't have the foresight to keep their website's API secure from direct posts? These devs need to wake the Elyria up. 

Their target audience is full-loot PvPers, the most vicious of all gamers! Expect the worst and then multiply that by 10. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    You don't want islands.  Supposedly if you die by drowning you character won't be allowed to respawn. 
    KyleranAnOldFart

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

anemo said:
    You don't want islands.  Supposedly if you die by drowning you character won't be allowed to respawn. 
    I would like to know the logic behind this decision.
    Harbinger of Fools
    anemo said:
    That would only be for deep ocean. So take the islands on the OCE maps, it's already been confirmed there is shallow water between them. 

It's more for different continents. Which is fair enough there, great rewards have great risks.
    Wellspring
    edited November 2018
    Torrsk said:
    anemo said:
    That would only be for deep ocean. So take the islands on the OCE maps, it's already been confirmed there is shallow water between them. 

It's more for different continents. Which is fair enough there, great rewards have great risks.
    Thinking about all of the times back in Vanilla WOW when the game would dump everyone into the sea (killing us all) while taking a boat between continents this seems like an ill conceived idea.
    AnOldFart

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    anemo said:

Thinking about all of the times back in Vanilla WOW when the game would dump everyone into the sea (killing us all) while taking a boat between continents this seems like an ill conceived idea.
    Agreed, but think about the premise here. The game is not even in Alpha, continues to put resources into ideas and then scrap them, and after years of production and countless sales has less than 20k paid backers as far as I can tell (probably far less if you account for folks with multiple accounts).

I think additional continents are a pipe dream so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep on this.  Though, given their wasteful development history I will admit it wouldn’t shock me if they started working on pie in the sky stuff like this.  Especially if they can tie to to a store promotion.  Ship jpegs are pretty cheap to make...
    Gdemami

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    anemo said:

Agreed, but think about the premise here. The game is not even in Alpha, continues to put resources into ideas and then scrap them, and after years of production and countless sales has less than 20k paid backers as far as I can tell (probably far less if you account for folks with multiple accounts).

I think additional continents are a pipe dream so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep on this.  Though, given their wasteful development history I will admit it wouldn’t shock me if they started working on pie in the sky stuff like this.  Especially if they can tie to to a store promotion.  Ship jpegs are pretty cheap to make...
    Gamers clearly enjoy paying big money for "ships," I think they should go for it.

• InteritusInteritus Member UncommonPosts: 236
    Stage two of voting started. It's a bit late. The biggest problem is that the maps used for voting no longer show which biome you're looking at. So you have to go back and reference the round 1 voting maps. I'm sure quite quickly members of the public will release the new maps with the biomes listed. But really this was something that SBS should have kept. Why would you remove information?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    anemo said:

Gamers clearly enjoy paying big money for "ships," I think they should go for it.

Jpegs of ships, jpegs. Those have proven to be a winning formula.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchie
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited November 2018
    Interitus said:
    Stage two of voting started. It's a bit late. The biggest problem is that the maps used for voting no longer show which biome you're looking at. So you have to go back and reference the round 1 voting maps. I'm sure quite quickly members of the public will release the new maps with the biomes listed. But really this was something that SBS should have kept. Why would you remove information?
    SBS clearly ran out of time. It was pass 1am their time when the maps were finally released. They should have just called it a night and pick it up in the morning really. 

But at least the other servers have something to reference the maps off. On OCE, we are flat out guessing what biome we are looking at. While some is clear, some not so much. Adding onto the fact we don't have duchy lines. Which there has been an disagreement how many duchies we even have in the first place. Some think 8, others think 12. But seeing the server overall knows what tribes they want. Be nice knowing how many duchies we have for that reason. Since take the kingdom I'm in, it's very Brudvir heavy, so voting for map with a bigger Brudvir biome/duchies would be the way to go.

This whole thing was a mess really and you could see it coming. Caspian was saying on the weekend, they were working on OCE maps. Doing their own vote on 130 maps to get them down to 8. Makes me wonder why we couldn't vote in round 1. While once again not leaving themselves enough time. Everything should have been ready before round 1 even started really. 

While the biggest concerned, Caspian commented on discord that someone left the studio in the middle of this event. I'm not sure if that meant someone upped and quit or just didn't like working crazy hours and just left early each day. Which the latter isn't so bad, the former just isn't good news.
    InteritusAnOldFart