Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamigo Issues Its Official Statement About the Purchase of Trion Worlds - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455
    edited October 2018

Torval said:

Kumapon said:
    cheyane said:

Trion was acquired via an “Assignment for the Benefit of the Creditors” process

Sounds like they owed a pretty penny and their debt was acquired by Gamigo .

Pretty much shows that Trion was on it's last legs. They were bankrupt, and were lucky to find a buyer.

If Trion wasn't sold, they would not have lasted that much longer.

The one thing in Kano's post that is relevant to the industry and echoed by Superman0X is that Trion isn't alone. On the surface not much in the thread seems industry relevant. After thinking a bit on both their comments and reading this, I think it's easy to infer at least one more company is feeling the fire.

Day Break Games anyone?!

I think DBG is in the clear nowadays. They managed to turn things around again, after the issues they had recently. Just take a look at PlanetSide2, their "average income" game, it is still doing fine both in terms of players and the revenue they generate, as well as game updates (they are even doing fundamental engine updates).
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Tough break for those employees just before the holidays. Sad.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    edited October 2018

So which games are gonna be immediately shut down?

Considering the games they previously took over and continue to operate, likely none of them. It is more probable they will enter a mainly maintenance mode to attract whatever profit they can from diehard fans. Trove may get more effort spent than the others as it was performing better than the rest.
    Kyleran
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    I think its time for Rift, Defiance, and ArcheAge to shut down.   This will show the industry that the F2P  P2W model that was made for these games is not a healthy way to go for a monetization model.  Then XLGames should talk directly to ZeniMax about hosting ArcheAge and what it would take for ZeniMax to make AA successful like ESO with the B2P Model.   If ZeniMax made AA a B2P game with no P2W aspects and removed the Labor system and revamped the crafting AA could become a good game again.   

As for Trion Worlds I seen this coming years ago.   Their P2W model was never going to be successful as players like me said with AA keep it like Alpha was without a Cash shop and go B2P.   Rift it should have stayed a Sub Only MMORPG but get rid of the Box cost.   That could have made Rift a lot more easier to keep around but their F2P model where you spend $150 to buy raid gear tells you how bad off Rift converting from the Sub model was.   HELL even if Rift went B2P with an optional Sub would have been better.   

Trion also wasted money on Defiance, End of Nations, Devilian, and Atlas Reactor.   You have to wonder together how much money all 4 games cost Trion.   If they took that money and worked with a Steven Sheirff on Ashes of Creation, or Brad McQuaid with Pantheon what would Trion be today.   The Problem is Trion and their investors tried to chase the WOW money and no one in the boardroom understand that casual slot machine MMORPGS are not going to make you money.   They are so stupid they think that a excel spreadsheet will make them money.  It will not.  You have to hire Passionate Gamers to make high end MMORPGS that people will want to waste their life on playing.  THIS is what made WOW what WOW was.  People wanted to waste their life playing WOW, not a Slot machine game.   What does Ashes and Pantheon have in common?  They are designed by gamers for gamers who want to waste their life playing a video game.   

Anyway Its about time more MMORPGS shut down that tried to follow the WOW money and boardroom morons that have no understanding of video games thinking they would hit the jackpot need to go.   Leave the Video game industry up to Gamers not the Harvard MBA guy who has no clue about video games.   
    Gdemamicraftseeker
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    WTF gamigo using Gamer Token. First time I heard Gamer Token. I guess this is interesting. I found this in other website.

What is Gamer Token?

Gamer Token is just one of many different actual Gamer Tokens in the wild, all of which follow the same general concept. The idea is to utilize the same technology that is behind CryptoCurrencies such as BitCoin and Ethereum to keep track of in-game events, such as achievements, rewards, items, currency, and similar objects, and allow them to be tradeable and track the history of those items.

The way I understand it is this:
    Gamer Tokens represent a commodity for a game, such as a skin, in-game item, etc.
    Gamer Tokens are created by the Game Dev implementing the system
    Gamer Tokens can be traded for other Gamer Tokens, OR they can be sold for a CyrptoCurrency called “GTX”
    GTX is a Cryptocurrency based upon Ethereum, it can be bought, sold, and traded as such.
    Following? Maybe not?
    Think of it this way. Gamer Tokens represent items you can get in Rift, such as a weapon drop from a boss. GTX represents Plat. You can either trade that weapon to another player for a similar weapon, sell that weapon to an NPC to get Plat, or sell it to a player to get Plat. Likewise, you can trade Gamer Tokens for Gamer Tokens, turn them into GTX, or sell the Gamer Token to other players for GTX.
    What does all this mean then?
    Well, it’s clear that one of Gamigo’s future goals is integrating Gamer Token and it’s related tech into their games. Having acquired 3 MMO properties from Trion, I find it incredibly likely that Gamigo will experiment with introducing these tokens into each game in the near future.
    In addition to this, Trion has their Glyph launcher, which is able to host and launch multiple games, and is a significant piece of software that in the past was also used to sell and launch 3rd party games. Conceivably this would be of great benefit to Gamigo as well.