Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old SWG player curious about the "new" SWG

FaurFaur Member Posts: 330
I played a pikeman before any of the revamps and had a bunch of fun. Eventually I quit because of doctor buffs and all that, but figured I'd check back later in case anything changed. Well, I guess you can safely say they did.

After I quit, I've only played the free trial just as the NGE hit live, and I hated it. I only played the tutorial though.
Being a pikeman was my main attraction to SWG, and am I right in my assumption that you can no longer focus on melee combat alone for fighting?
How is it overall? I'm trying to get an impression from reading the offiicial forums but it's hard to get a general idea of the state of the game.

Comments

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Jedi is the only Melee profession, although all professions can pick up a pike and use it if they want.  It's probably a safe assumption that if you didn't enjoy the trial, then you're probably not going to like the rest of the game

• slant64slant64 Member Posts: 5
    Take my advice and don't waste your time on it anymore.   I purchased the SWG: Total Experience Pack about 4-5 months before the NGE update.  I liked the tier and column system of skills as it added flexibility and specialization.  After NGE was released I realized that SOE had made a huge mistake, the combat seemed better (at least for me) a sort of 3rd person non-turn based style where the player had control over the attacks and timing.  I guess you could say that they turned the combat into an FPS sort-of-ish style system.  But that was the only thing that I was pleased with, other then that, SOE raped the game to put it bluntly.

I let my subscription run out and never looked back.  Stay away from it.  It will only bring you suffering.

Slant64

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Well, its not the same game "mechanically' speaking anymore.

The professions system was dumped in favor of a class system. If you can get past all the "iconic" talk, the classes are ok although somewhat restrictive and cookie cutter. The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is Jedi being a starter class.

Jedi have no place in the games timeline.

Other then that its same old same old. It was a mediocre game before NGE and its still the same now only with a different ruleset.

The community has taken it pretty hard. Just look at the forum here. Not that I blame them but they seem to be having trouble moving on or being objective about it even after 6 months. I would think you should check out the offical boards or a fan site rather then here if you really want to see how it is.

Also pre-NGE stuff like quest has lots of problems with NGE stuff.

• HelldogHelldog Member Posts: 169

u won't be able to live upto your role as much anymore

since the game is divided into classes now everyone is the same,

also population will be a lot less than it used to be (so there goes the immersive factor)

the only thing NGE fixed is probably lag, since u can  go coronet or theed now and be lonely with the npc's

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Never Gonna Evolve

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• freebirdpatfreebirdpat Member Posts: 568

Originally posted by Helldog
    u won't be able to live upto your role as much anymore
    since the game is divided into classes now everyone is the same,
    also population will be a lot less than it used to be (so there goes the immersive factor)the only thing NGE fixed is probably lag, since u can go coronet or theed now and be lonely with the npc's image

From what I have read even that hasn't been solved.
  • k-razyk-razy Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Torak

Well, its not the same game "mechanically' speaking anymore.
    The professions system was dumped in favor of a class system. If you can get past all the "iconic" talk, the classes are ok although somewhat restrictive and cookie cutter. The only thing that really rubs me the wrong way is Jedi being a starter class.
    Jedi have no place in the games timeline.
    Other then that its same old same old. It was a mediocre game before NGE and its still the same now only with a different ruleset.
    The community has taken it pretty hard. Just look at the forum here. Not that I blame them but they seem to be having trouble moving on or being objective about it even after 6 months. I would think you should check out the offical boards or a fan site rather then here if you really want to see how it is.
    Also pre-NGE stuff like quest has lots of problems with NGE stuff.

Okay, sorry i played SWg about 2 years ago but that was it. First of all, this will probably be a stupid question but what is NGE and also since jedi is a starter class do you start out with a lightsaber or something? Any help to answer these questions would be great. Thanks.
  • DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Damn, I thought this was a thread about the new SWG in development. Or so the rumors would like it to be.

The NGE? FORGET IT! Just do it! You will never ever experience SWG again, it's gone forever. If no game is smart enough to create another one it's a one of a lifetime experience.

NGE is the most crappy MMORPG (cough) I have ever tried, I swear to god (not that GOD is anything but just a quote that the person is serious) about that. The NGE is - if possible - even more broken than the original SWG.

There are so little variation in everything you just want to smack your foreheada against a granite rock and chase Smedley with a greased razor sharp chainsaw.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by Agricola1
    Never Gonna Evolve

Now Gone Eliminated

Now Gay Enough.

Now Gruesomly Embittered.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

Originally posted by DuraheLL

Originally posted by Agricola1
    Never Gonna Evolve

Now Gone Eliminated

Now Gay Enough.

Now Gruesomly Embittered.

Nice Game Ended?

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • GrimReapezGrimReapez Member Posts: 463
    They're cheap $@#$%!

They screwed the interface and took away alot of things, now they're bring things back telling all the new players it's "new content" pfffffffffffffffffffffft.

-
    Do not hate it, but instead embrace the diversity.

• VexinVexin Member Posts: 297
    Yup, good point.  Probably thinking that'll keep them alive a little longer. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    As ye SOE, so shall ye weep.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    As far as any new players who didnt play before the NGE are concerned it is NEW content, they never played it before so even if it is re-used from the old system its still new to the people who bought the game after the NGE. I enjoy the game a bit, mostly only play becuase friends do, and i was about to quit before they allowed me to respec to another class, saying that my sub runs out in 6 days and i am doubtful of renweing it as ive logged in once in the last month and that was just to respec.

• Aikes1Aikes1 Member Posts: 292

NGE sucks.

Star Wars Galaxies only lives in memories now for Lucas Arts and SOE have destroyed it.

"SWG was a world, now it's just a game" -adamrk-

"When the game was good, you didn't have to ask where the population was, because it was everywhere. When the game was good you didn't have to ask which server had population, because they all did. When the game was good you didn't have to beg friends to give it a try, because they were already playing. " - Salty Pete

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Think of it this way:

SWG no longer exists.  It was cancelled in November, 2005.  At that time they rolled out a new game:  Star Wars:  NGE

Seriously... it's THAT different.

If you didn't like the trial you'll REALLY hate the game.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• Pjay2kPjay2k Member CommonPosts: 260

some good articles about the current SWG:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/72174

enjoy.

SOE and NGE-Star Wars Galalaxies:
    Raph Koster: "It's like dumping the girlfriend who has always been patient and loving to chase after the supermodel who probably won't love you back."

• Neurox1Neurox1 Member Posts: 260

the game bascially sucks IMHO ...

no character variety ( everyone is jedi and soon to be BH as well) ..

the crafting is non-existent ... the stuff you can craft is basically garbage and totally generic ... useless really ...

the game itself has a very YOUNGish feel to it .. i think its geared for the 12 to 15 age group ...its not complex ... combat is a weak ... almost archaic FPS feel to it ...

and the graphics are becoming outdates ...( the graphics were once the redeeming factor of this game)

and the civil war doesnt have an authentic feel to it ... you have rebels killing rebels and imperials killing imperials .. and everyone whining when they die

worst of all ... the community is not stable and never will be ... a bad trend emerged when SOE put through a game change known as the combat upgrade ... and it worsened when they made the NGE ... the trend being the community CONSTANTLY taking odds against sony ..every change is met with anger and whining .. the forums are flooded with complaining and people threatening to quit or actually quitting and giving reasons why ...

the community is getting smaller and smaller ... at one time id say ... late 2003  to the summer of 2004 .. each city was FLOODED with players ... and people selling things and dueling and talking about their speeders or weapons ...or spaceships ( after jtl) ...but since the combat upgrade in early 2005 i believe it was ... the game has gone downhill in numbers .. it seems to be leveling out now as in, not so many people are leaving ( the people who hate the NGE have all left i suspect).. but at the same time i dont see the game growing much