Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rumor - Upcoming week - more turmoil in video game industry

12346»

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,193
    OG_Zorvan said:
    DMKano said:
    This year has been brutal in terms of instability in video game industry.

Lots of rumblings about something imminent about to go down

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
    Being in the industry, I can say that there are some changes coming in the western market (which is all most of you care about). We might be involved in some, so I cant give any specifics, but many developers/publishers are not as stable as people would like to believe.
    I just love that @Gdemami gave this an unexplained LOL.

That dude has no shame.
    Some of you know what company I was associated with. When we sold that company, we had a non compete for many years, but that has since passed, and we have been considering moving back into the publishing market. There are many more opportunities at this time than you would have in a healthy market, and we have explored some.  Some of you might consider this bad (if you didnt like our service), but others might actually appreciate us coming back.
    Companies die for reasons. What's dead needs to stay dead. Whole fucking genre is nothing but shambling zombie companies as it is already.
    The reason we got out of the publishing business was because it became a race to see who could lose the most money, in the effort to become the biggest. We realized that there was no way to reasonably compete with the amount of money that was being thrown around, and that it was going to be a long while until those that were doing it ran out. So we sold our company, and moved to other things. 

However, the online publishing business is starting to stabilize, because those that were driving the industry into the ground have started running out of cash...  and if enough of them fail due to bad behavior, it creates an opportunity to re-enter the field, with more reasonable expectations. This is going to be bad for the west for a few years, because eastern companies have bought many of the western developers, and it will take time for new companies to start again. There is some capitol looking to return, but it is looking for proof of returns before investing large amounts this time.
    MadFrenchieTorvallaxieGdemamiNycteliosSlyLoKMrMelGibson
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Was the Trion news really the "turmoil" in question? What an over-hyped letdown. The only surprising thing about this news to me was that Trion was even still a thing. I had no idea that irrelevant company was still managing to be irrelevant.
    craftseekerSlyLoK
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,622
    I guess anything less than a meteorite strike wiping out half the planet is irrelevant news.

There's certainly a lot more unemployed developers down in this neck of the woods.
    DMKanoGdemami

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,543
    I guess anything less than a meteorite strike wiping out half the planet is irrelevant news.

There's certainly a lot more unemployed developers down in this neck of the woods.
    So much this.

I guess 200 MMO developers out of work is no big deal these days.

Sad.
    craftseekerGdemamiborghive49
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,508

EA shutting down Visceral Game is a meteorite strikking the gaming industry.

Trion...? 

Sad news is sad news - but bombastic news, "the hammer will fall" news... That's something different.
    TorvalMrMelGibson
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    DMKano said:j

So much this.

I guess 200 MMO developers out of work is no big deal these days.

Sad.
    Yes it is sad, very sad, but not even close to justifying your original post. I have been delaying my response until either the 'other shoe' dropped or you came back to confirm that is all that there was.

But really Kano you oversold the sad, but not unexpected news.
    MrMelGibson

MrMelGibson
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,052
    It's one of the bigger developers. It's definitely big news imo. If you had to name 10 biggest MMO developers, Trion would easily make the cut.

It's probably the first of many significant studios with a similar fate.
    Gdemami
    laxie said:
    It's one of the bigger developers. It's definitely big news imo. If you had to name 10 biggest MMO developers, Trion would easily make the cut.

It's probably the first of many significant studios with a similar fate.
    Actually it is by no means the first, SOE for example. How could the studio behind Everquest not be on the list of "10 biggest", the staff cuts were numerically largerand some of the same names were involved, Linda Carlson for one.

Yes it is sad, yes it wiil be remembered as an important milestone. Particularly since it seems unlikely that Gamigo will be even as good to its inherited products as DBG has been with its range.

But please stop overstating the significance of this announcement.
  • ItstimetodealItstimetodeal Member UncommonPosts: 284
    DMKano said:
    This year has been brutal in terms of instability in video game industry.

Lots of rumblings about something imminent about to go down

Stay tuned.

P.S. Maybe this year will be the one to be the catalyst for change inside the video game industry as far as change needed to introduce some stability, as at this rate - developers will keep bailing and leaving the industry for something more stable.
    Catalyst for change?  Haha yeah another record breaking for video games.  Obviously those thinking video games need to change are in the minority. 

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/08/30/2018-sees-a-record-breaking-first-six-months-for-us-video-game-sales
    Gdemami
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    MF's lose their job everyday bee. They'll be iight (if they're talented).

The foreshadowing was anti-climatic as f#$% and unnecessarily vague in hindsight.

Go find some better industry gossip. 

ScorchienMrMelGibson
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 6,883
    MF's lose their job everyday bee. They'll be iight (if they're talented).

The foreshadowing was anti-climatic as f#$% and unnecessarily vague in hindsight.

Go find some better industry gossip. 

agree .. but its .........aight