Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So... A Vet returns to SWG to check it out...

Yup... despite all the warnings, I return to the game to check it out.... Had a new Dell 2405FPW monitor to try out... figured I'd try all my old games to test the res out and marvel at my new toy...

So I download the SWG trial, edit the options.cfg file to kick the res up to the 2405's 1920x1200 native res and log in.....

Now, I'm a pre pub 9 vet and a good cav trooper... I know how to grab my spurs and let SOE ram me in the ass.. I took it up untill the NGE lol. Still, after hearing Obraik and others (I avidly read this board, though I don't post much) I decided to see if the NGE had ironed itself out abit, perhaps be abit less than a beta.

So I kick up the game, and what do you know... it's no different than the night we all beta'd in horror just before the released the NGE. Still, to give it a fair shot, I zipped and zoomed around with my over-the-shoulder view(I fecking HATE that view) and admired my new monitor. Get through the intro sequence, get to the noob station, and here's the first thing I see:

NEW PROFESSION! BOXER!

(sorry for the sarcasm)

Completed 3 hrs or so of quests at noob station (trial doesn't allow you to leave) found SWG no better off than before.

Please ppl... let this game die. I want to play something akin to the immersiveness of the SWG I remember. Perhaps I'll give up and wait for vanguard...

Comments

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951

U-huh, the only difference before is that IT WAS PLAYABLE and ENJOYABLE!

It lacked alot, was majorly unpolished, broken on many aspects, but had a solid core and a serious community and a SOUL.

Now it has NOTHING! Take your seat in the "Anti SOE" lounge.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Working as intended.

Aren't you glad that the game hasn't changed? Still the same old bugs and issues. Oh yea, and they messed with combat something or another. But hey, they kept the bugs.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Spread the truth brother!  The more we tell it like it is, the more people will finally realize this game is trash and people will quit.  Only then this game will flop and hopefully another company can get the LA license and make a SW online game worth playing!
  • lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Darklighter1
    Spread the truth brother!  The more we tell it like it is, the more people will finally realize this game is trash and people will quit.  Only then this game will flop and hopefully another company can get the LA license and make a SW online game worth playing!

That's my wish... Unfortunately I think this game will keep struggling along for years, buoyed by SOE's allstation pass, and half-hearted attempts at enticing vets back by promising a return to something of the depth and character the pre NGE game posessed.  Personally, I'd just like ONE blank server with pub 9 and JTL.   but that's just me.

• Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250

Originally posted by lordstarwolf

Originally posted by Darklighter1
    That's my wish... Unfortunately I think this game will keep struggling along for years, buoyed by SOE's allstation pass, and half-hearted attempts at enticing vets back by promising a return to something of the depth and character the pre NGE game posessed.  Personally, I'd just like ONE blank server with pub 9 and JTL.   but that's just me.

That's why we need to continue the fight!  The more people we convince to cancel, the closer to reality your wish will become.
  • KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

/comfort loadstarwolf

The horrors of NGE reality! Just be happy that you just tried the trial and didn't actually hand any money to $OE, and limited your exposure to three hours.

I am thinking of giving Vanguard a whirl...maybe even the Victor Roma game too. I need a replacement mmorpg game I can truly immerese myself in once again.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Ohhhh... I wouldn't worry too much about the Station Pass keeping it afloat.  $OE just made the mistake of raising the price to $25/month for the AAP :)

Watch people drop the pass in droves now.  The only thing keeping that pass afloat was it was worth it to the EQ2 crowd because they got the 2 $5 expansions 'free' with it.   Now that they're paying $10 extra a month for that priviledge it'll be fun to see how many dump the pass and go to stand-alone subs to EQ2. 

If I were still playing EQ2 I know I would.  No way in hell is the AAP worth $25 a month.  EQ2 is the only game worth paying a monthly fee that SOE fields right now.  PlanetSide isn't *bad* but it's only worth maybe $6 per month, imo. 

Expect a LARGE drop in AAP subscribers over the next few months as people choose not to resub :)  LOL. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• chlaoschlaos Member Posts: 1,118
    Everything you said makes sense, but what cracked me up was in your screenie.  The log says "Cant converse while standing"  LOL...thats the good ole SOE knowhow and dedication to quality that we all know and love.  Reminds me of cant "knockdown recovery while knocked down."       

"The man who exchanges Liberty for Iconic classes is a fool deserving of neither." - Me and Ben Franklin

• azgarthazgarth Member UncommonPosts: 188

Those boxes are also showing up in game from time to time, I got tired of waiting and subscribed for a month, got a screen of these precious bugs. No matter how much we miss it, it aint there anymore.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Elnator

Ohhhh... I wouldn't worry too much about the Station Pass keeping it afloat.  $OE just made the mistake of raising the price to $25/month for the AAP :)
    Watch people drop the pass in droves now.  The only thing keeping that pass afloat was it was worth it to the EQ2 crowd because they got the 2 $5 expansions 'free' with it.   Now that they're paying $10 extra a month for that priviledge it'll be fun to see how many dump the pass and go to stand-alone subs to EQ2. 
    If I were still playing EQ2 I know I would.  No way in hell is the AAP worth $25 a month.  EQ2 is the only game worth paying a monthly fee that SOE fields right now.  PlanetSide isn't *bad* but it's only worth maybe $6 per month, imo. 
    Expect a LARGE drop in AAP subscribers over the next few months as people choose not to resub :)  LOL. 

Alot of EQ2 players get the Station Access Pass for the aditional character slots, not to play Planetside and SWG. So no, I wont be expecting a LARGE drop in access pass subscribers.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by Spathotan

Originally posted by Elnator

Alot of EQ2 players get the Station Access Pass for the aditional character slots, not to play Planetside and SWG. So no, I wont be expecting a LARGE drop in access pass subscribers.

I agree.  Some people are willing to pay $15 a month just for the right to post on the SWG forums.  I saw one post that said he spends more than that in thirty minutes at a bar.

If SWG had an option of an extra character slot (before the NGE) I would have gladly paid $25 a month.  Throw in the fact that I could then play two other games as a bonus, just would have made it sweeter.

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

I would think they wouldnt be fond of paying to support games that arent making it financially. I gues it would be diffeent if SWG were actually making the grade, and if you bought into the station pass to get 4 extra slots and other stuff for SWG, only to have the price go up becuase the other games on the pass arent making it (EQ, EQ2 etc). I think if I paid for the AAP and had this happen I would be irritated to pay more for game that are broke / borked that I dont play.

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

• bugzonlsdbugzonlsd Member Posts: 410
    Curiousity is a s.o.b aint it, makes you do things you know you shouldnt do. I dont see myself going back lol nope!
  • KehnKehn Member Posts: 180
    Maybe those of you that can’t resist the temptation could each put in a buck into sharing one account, then you could log in when you get the urge, and ten minutes later be back here with some fresh hate.