Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In News You Didn't Expect Today - Hellgate: London Is Returning to Steam - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    This is great news. I hope it makes enough money to bring back multiplayer.
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    I got into Hellgate just as it was fading off. I'm excited to see what they do with this.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!
    I partly agree, how different is this from Bless and all the others coming back? I think if we get a better game it would be worth it (never played the original mind), otherwise its just milking players for cash.
    Kyleran
  • JadeX666JadeX666 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    edited October 2018
    No need, it is already back: https://london2038.com/
    Gorwe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!
    I partly agree, how different is this from Bless and all the others coming back? I think if we get a better game it would be worth it (never played the original mind), otherwise its just milking players for cash.
    If you don't like a game don't buy it. I don't understand why you both feel the need to make sure someone else can't play what you don't like. How fucked up is that? I have the entire SSI Gold Box D&D collection on GoG because CDProjekt thankfully didn't listen to people like you two. The great part being, I don't have to get milked if I think it's a bad deal.

I don't mind paying for an older game I like. Someone had to spend time getting it to work on modern hardware without me having to jump through ridiculous hoops and ancient 3rd party hack patches. That's worth something to me.

If Bless or another game can't find its footing and wants to keep plugging along until it finds it niche or dies then so be it. If Hello Games had abandoned No Man's Sky instead of persisting then I wouldn't have my awesome game. It would just be a historic debacle where people gave up. I'm glad they didn't give up Interloper.

What a world we live in where people are so quick to give up after failure.
    What can I say, "I'm the product of a fucked up generation...I can't even seem to find a sunset to walk off into." The Drifter, Bunraku

Apparently neither can some games properly be sunsetted and left to fade away.

Think of it as thinning the herd,  gaming will be stronger for it.
    Scot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!
    If you don't like a game don't buy it. I don't understand why you both feel the need to make sure someone else can't play what you don't like. How fucked up is that? I have the entire SSI Gold Box D&D collection on GoG because CDProjekt thankfully didn't listen to people like you two. The great part being, I don't have to get milked if I think it's a bad deal.

I don't mind paying for an older game I like. Someone had to spend time getting it to work on modern hardware without me having to jump through ridiculous hoops and ancient 3rd party hack patches. That's worth something to me.

If Bless or another game can't find its footing and wants to keep plugging along until it finds it niche or dies then so be it. If Hello Games had abandoned No Man's Sky instead of persisting then I wouldn't have my awesome game. It would just be a historic debacle where people gave up. I'm glad they didn't give up Interloper.

What can I say, "I'm the product of a fucked up generation...I can't even seem to find a sunset to walk off into." The Drifter, Bunraku

I find it hard to disagree, specifically with @Superman0X's recent posts detailing what I suspected all along: part of the reason the genre stagnated was because investors started finding there wasn't enough "free gamers" to build a new, profitable fanbase.

The base seems all caught up spending time and money on mediocre efforts that have limped along.  We whine about no new titles or innovation, but can't let go of our decades old avatars in our decades old games that were never really that great to begin with (judging by critical/user reviews at the games' respective releases).

Look at other genres, and you see that even the most popular franchises expect gamers to get bored with a title within a few years.  I don't advocate for release schemes like NBA 2k, but no other genre drags it's old boots along for so long that they have no room for a new pair.
    Scot

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Scot said:
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!
    well Hellgate is nothing like Bless, nothing like it all , It more like Diablo in Post Apoc horror setting ..

Its actually alot of fun .. Its also single player ...

And to be honest we dont have a game quite like it right now ...
    [Deleted User]kruler
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!

I find it hard to disagree, specifically with @Superman0X's recent posts detailing what I suspected all along: part of the reason the genre stagnated was because investors started finding there wasn't enough "free gamers" to build a new, profitable fanbase.

The base seems all caught up spending time and money on mediocre efforts that have limped along.  We whine about no new titles or innovation, but can't let go of our decades old avatars in our decades old games that were never really that great to begin with (judging by critical/user reviews at the games' respective releases).

Look at other genres, and you see that even the most popular franchises expect gamers to get bored with a title within a few years.  I don't advocate for release schemes like NBA 2k, but no other genre drags it's old boots along for so long that they have no room for a new pair.
    I can understand how nostalgia makes these old games coming back seem good, but unless the add more it is asking money for old rope. Gaming moved into a strategy over a decade ago where it mainly repeats tried and trusted staples like NBA 2K or AC. Now it seems to want to bring back old hits (or not so hits) because its a lot cheaper than making something new; notice I did not use the word original there, just something new.

But if they make something more of it I am all for it, Torval's example of No Man's Sky is just the sort of game that is becoming more than it once was, that's worth the reroll in my eyes. But I do have to ask one thing, is it easier or harder to add to NMS which was said to have no gameplay when it launched, or add to Hellgate London which did have a lot of gameplay in place already? One seems to take more work, but the other may come with a lot of built in issues.
    Post edited by Scot on
    MadFrenchie
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I was one of the first 20 players in the alpha for this game.  When they said they were going to beta we all went, "WUH?"  It wasn't ready.  Then when it went Open Beta all of us testers when "WUH?"  It wasn't ready.  Then when they said it was going to release in two weeks?  "ACK ACK ACK - ACK ACK, ACK!"  No where near ready.

Even at that I enjoyed the heck out of the game, although it was ultra buggy.  If they fixed all (or even most) of the bugs I would love to play it again!
    [Deleted User]

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    I am not interested in this as a single player game. The game was great to play but not really a setting I enjoy. I liked the mechanics and running across other players. I hope everyone who wants it will enjoy it greatly.
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I had the first one, and enjoyed it a lot, but was bagged a great deal by many and yes some of the complaints were more than justified.

So was interested when the F2P version raised from the grave years later and tried it, after that experience I had to have a good long hard talk with myself about rose tinted glasses and distorted memories.

I hope this does a lot better on its second resurrection, and will try if it still exists in 6 months time and not before just to see if the game gets the final headshot and dies for good this time.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Scot said:
    Katagiri said:
    Stop games necromancy!

Except when a game makes a successful comeback then your logic goes out the window.  FFXIV would like a word.....
    Post edited by Kajidourden on
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I just want to know how much they plan to charge for this game today. Its not a new game at all. If anyone hears anything post it. What would you guys say you would pay for this knowing its history.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hariken said:
    I just want to know how much they plan to charge for this game today. Its not a new game at all. If anyone hears anything post it. What would you guys say you would pay for this knowing its history.
    I wouldn't mind a 15 bucks price if all functions as the original did, without multiplayer I guess. Which is unfortunate, I would pay about 20 if that was included. Its a pretty fun game and like posted somewhere above, there really isn't anything like it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Well if history tells you anything this will be F2P with a terrible cash shop model. On it's previous incarnation (which was the 2nd time) T3 just gouged people. You couldn't even buy stash space they rented it to you. Despite all that we had a lot fun playing but it's the multiplayer that made it work. Can't see it gaining much traction as a single player.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Guess they named this game quite well.  It just keeps coming back from the gates of Hell.

How many times has this series died and respawned now?

I guess we should be impressed by how much the creators care about this franchise that they keep trying...
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Well like everyone I'm surprised too. As a coincidence I recently reinstalled the original and I'm playing it again. Was surprised the Windows 10 didn't have any problem with the install or running it so far. :)
    [Deleted User]
  • DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161

berlight said:

Bring back tabula rasa :'(

Yes....good times....well...not all...mostly
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    Let the dead rest. happy halloween!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Bring back City of Heroes!

Is today April Fool's day?

• jazneojazneo Member UncommonPosts: 52
    let it die all ready
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    If people are still willing to pay money for a game any claims of death are greatly exaggerated. When the companies of today can't find a way to entice players away from the games of yesterday, the fault squarely falls on those failing to provide what that audience seeks.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    I was one of the poor schmucks that bought the Lifetime Subscription for Hellgate. Loved the game! I was super excited to see this news... but single player? Disappointing... :(

The books were a cool story too, btw.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited October 2018
    berlight said:
    Bring back tabula rasa :'(
    Never gonna happen, since NCSoft doesn´t bring shut down games back from the death.

After what transpired between Richard Garriott and NCSoft and how he ripped them off and then tried to ripp them off even more via a lawsuit. 

You can be sure that NCSoft copied all code to tape, erased the servers three times over to make absolutely sure there is no trace of code left to be found and then threw all the backup tapes on a huge bonfire! Making sure the game is absolutely, permanently erased from existence!