Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Devs Delay Relics of Hiram Launch to Ensure Stable Servers

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageArcheAge Devs Delay Relics of Hiram Launch to Ensure Stable Servers

A brief post has been written to inform the ArcheAge community that the Relics of Hiram update is going to be delayed. Originally scheduled for release today, the note indicates that the team is working towards a new indeterminate date to ensure server stability. The delay for stability has also come at the hands of Monday's revelation that Trion Worlds was sold to Gamigo. It remains unclear if Gamigo will continue publishing AA or if it will revert to developer XLGames.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wow.aa shutting down. Goal is to keep server alive. Wow
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    bennylong said:
    ?

"It remains unclear if Gamigo will continue publishing AA or if it will revert to developer XLGames.

GeezerGamerPanther2103meonthissite
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited October 2018
    Sovrath said:
    bennylong said:
    ?

"It remains unclear if Gamigo will continue publishing AA or if it will revert to developer XLGames.

I would say the delay could be because it's unknown who will be publishing AA. I didn't see AA shutting down. 
    Sovrath
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This should be interesting.
  • lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Players need a refund if shutting down. I always blame Trion publishing AA because AA is good in other Region and more youtuber. They suppose to be a good publisher because it is NA.
  • bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100

Sovrath said:

bennylong said:

?

Keep server live sounds like they won't be publishings. Deal with xl probably said if trion sold the rights revert to xl
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I doubt AA will be part of the sale to gamingo ( is that the group ?), they have to renegotiate and everything.,
    yes gamigo is a group, aeria is also part of said group, so AA and defiance on aeria will be funny lol

for the delay looks smart, doing a update together with aion could not be a good thing if they want to brag about number of people checking the update
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • angaelsangaels Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited October 2018
    Hopefully there was a clause indicating if Trion sells it defaults to Xl.. it's on Steam already, so I would rather it go there and Xl get a pr team together.. update gaps would be smaller..
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    UPDATE: The ArcheAge forum has a new post with a small note from XLGames, developers of the game:

Posted on behalf of XLGAMES:

Dear ArcheAge players,

You may be aware that there has been a business transaction involving Trion Worlds. XLGAMES is currently resolving issues to ensure that there is no harm done to the users since our ArcheAge fans are of the utmost importance to us.

XLGAMES will do its best to settle any matters with the involved parties in a speedy manner. The release date of the Relics of Hiram 5.0 Update will be decided and notified to you soon.

Thank you for your support.

-XLGAMES Team
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    UPDATE: The ArcheAge forum has a new post with a small note from XLGames, developers of the game:

Dear ArcheAge players,

You may be aware that there has been a business transaction involving Trion Worlds. XLGAMES is currently resolving issues to ensure that there is no harm done to the users since our ArcheAge fans are of the utmost importance to us.

XLGAMES will do its best to settle any matters with the involved parties in a speedy manner. The release date of the Relics of Hiram 5.0 Update will be decided and notified to you soon.

-XLGAMES Team
    That is much more honest and respectful answer. It's very reasonable to hold off on updates until the business end is sorted out.
    Im wondering tho . didnt NA players ,thru Trion get the much toned down NA flavor cash shop ..

So if i am recalling that correctly , now we have to wait and see if we get the full blown XL Cash SHop version or they keep it the same ..

And may be wrong with this altogether , I also recall that Trion was actually holding off XL pressure of more Cash SHop .. Im sure Kano could answer definitively ,
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Well die hards in west AA are pretty much screwd, character data belongs to Gamigo so XL Games have to buy them from Gamigo if Gamigo and XL Games don't make contract. Worst case scenario for XL Games they have to stop developing AA in west.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Rhoklaw said:
    "since our ArcheAge fans are of the utmost importance to us."

I wish I could Agree and LOL at the same time.
    [Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    You never know this may be a positive change for Archeage if it gets a new publisher but who would take on the role and be a change for the good? Yet another game that I enjoyed the gameplay and game itself but couldn't get past the P2W cash shop.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Torval said:
    Scorchien said:
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:

Dear ArcheAge players,

-XLGAMES Team
    That is much more honest and respectful answer. It's very reasonable to hold off on updates until the business end is sorted out.
    Im wondering tho . didnt NA players ,thru Trion get the much toned down NA flavor cash shop ..

So if i am recalling that correctly , now we have to wait and see if we get the full blown XL Cash SHop version or they keep it the same ..

And may be wrong with this altogether , I also recall that Trion was actually holding off XL pressure of more Cash SHop .. Im sure Kano could answer definitively ,
    Yep, the potential for delicious salt has not passed by me unnoticed. I'm waiting to see how this goes down before I lmao. Everyone assumed Trion was the bad guy here. Trion wasn't imo. They made a bunch of bad decisions in and about most every game, but I put most of AA on XL not Trion.
    or with would be more in tune with the situation, trion is as much to blame as the devs, remember a lot of thing they did was they doing, its 2 bad guys not only one, but trion was the one to take the flake from us, since most of us can't curse then in korean.

remember who was sold here, trion selling means they had not way to continue
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2018
    In the press release Gamigo put out yesterday it included this bit: "takes over employees to operate the business and gets the full publishing rights of the games." Although they didn't specifically list which games. However the post on the AA forum and now the post by XL strongly suggests that Gamigo are the publsihers of AA in the west.

In which case AA - along with whatever other games they have taken over - are going to be run by, if reports are correct, fewer ex-Trion staff. Always assuming that the staff offered contracts have accepted them. Fewer staff could cause issues.

And maybe - and this is purely speculation on my part - there may be a plan is to move AA / the other games to a different server farm. Going forward it would make financial sense to consolidate with their other games. (If indeed these are consolidated).

Same deal with payment processing. Again consolidation would make sense. Ditto customer support.

Now I don't know what the set-up for the existing Gamigo games is. However their website says they have c. 250 employees in various offices despite having acquired 20+ companies. Which strongly suggests either heavy consolidation and / or outsourcing of activity. So - maybe - run all the games from 1 location or maybe 1 EU and 1 US location and - again maybe - outsource payment operations.

Whatever. It is possible - probably likely - that some degree of restructuring is underway. So putting off an update that would add potential complications makes sense.
    [Deleted User]atonico
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This whole thing is reminding me of Sam from the alliance side story arc in Stormsong valley: run! RUN!
    [Deleted User]

Albatroes said:

This whole thing is reminding me of Sam from the alliance side story arc in Stormsong valley: run! RUN!

One could look at it this way:

Clearly Trion was in "financial trouble". If someone didn't "step in" then AA in the west may well have closed.
    [Deleted User]
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    lol if XL Games cared people would had a sub server by now.
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm sure the 5 people left playing Archeage will be fine...
    vespar555

• lucyluffy101lucyluffy101 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    Xlgames say no subs because they don't trust Trion, also Trion is for sale.  
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited October 2018

They don't Trust Trion but they do Trust the money all the greens ther're going to lose if the whales jump ship. Come down to money Trion was in for the money and as well XLgames loved it or they would of pull Arche Age long time ago from Trion.

They don't Trust Trion but they do Trust the money all the greens ther're going to lose if the whales jump ship. Come down to money Trion was in for the money and as well XLgames loved it or they would of pull Arche Age long time ago from Trion.
    XL Games don't operate AA in the west; same way that e.g. Blizzard don't operate WoW in China.

There will have been a contract between XL and Trion - presumably involving Trion paying XL Games money based on some assumed metrics (flat fee, variable fee, percentage, a mixture - whatever). Trion will have borne the cost of servers, staff, collecting payments etc.

Assuming Gamigo have taken AA over then the AA's fundamentals - money coming in vs. cost of running the game - must have been sound. (Same for other games that Gamigo have taken over.)

Trion's problem is that they have had "other costs". From what has been reported the cost of paying 175 other people (so maybe $20M) who were doing development, senior management posts etc. Plus probably some other costs. 

Same issue SoE faced basically. Games making money, development teams costing money. Also the reason Gamigo - in their history - say that they stopped developing games in 2013. Development was (is) risky. Develop a Fortnite and you are off to the races, develop a Wild West Online and you could be looking at a financial black hole with no hope of ever seeing a profit. As was the case with Sony and EQN - Sony reported a formal $20M loss on game development (e.g. EQN) just before they sold SoE.

And the question is: how many other companies are staring at a financial black hole?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    edited October 2018
    Sovrath said:
    bennylong said:
    ?

I would say the delay could be because it's unknown who will be publishing AA. I didn't see AA shutting down. 
    I'm not sure how much you guys know about Gamigo but they are a company that is known for buying dying games so they can cannibalise.

I remember their name from many years ago when they cannibalised a defunct soccer MMO game.

• asnowasnow Member UncommonPosts: 43
    since our ArcheAge fans are of the utmost importance to us.
    Read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/archeage/news/update-archeage-relics-of-hiram-delayed-xlgames-working-to-settle-things-1000050263#PGhFBs6WHEU2FJ4p.99

You're archeage Fans ? Bro ... its dead game... 50 player online are not fans, its just nerds :D
  • stuart45stuart45 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Something I will never understand on here is how people seem to think its cool to rage against whatever game it happens to be. I love Archeage and always will and am very sure there are tons of players who feel the same way. <3 Archeage