Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel i9-9900K Review: The Gaming World's Most Powerful - MMORPG.com

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,455
    Sephrus said:
    I'm personally waiting til 7nm AMD comes out before I upgrade again unless its delayed til 2020. Then I will just upgrade my 1700 to a 2700X and wait it out. I have had both the 1st gen ryzen (1700, kid has a 1600X and other kid had a 1500X) and a coffee lake cpu(8600K). And to be honest, esp while streaming, the ryzen cpu felt a bit slower but much more consistent. If your goal is epeen highest fps on the block then go right ahead and buy that 9900K, esp if you play games that favor intel. If you want a decent gaming experiance, then buy the ryzen for half the money and be content with a chip that will run 15 other applications while you game with little to no fps hit.
    I would expect consumer Zen 2 to launch on 7 nm sometime in 2019, and then Zen 3 to launch on either a 7 nm EUV process or 5 nm sometime in 2020.  Of course, the reason I'd expect that is largely because it is what AMD has publicly announced:

https://images.anandtech.com/doci/12233/x86_to_2020.jpg

After that, it's likely that they move to DDR5, and hence no more Socket AM4 compatibility unless they make a chip with both DDR4 and DDR5 controllers, akin to how the early Phenom II CPUs had both DDR2 and DDR3 controllers.  So Zen 4 or Not Zen or whatever they call it will need a new Socket AM5.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,781
    edited October 2018
    I assume Intel's objective with the i9-9900K was to create the "fastest gaming" cpu and in doing so grab headlines.  They managed it. Other faster cpus will come along but for they have the headline.

What it won't achieve - because of the price - is a place on any comparison sites "best performance buy".

The "unsung story" though could be that of the i5-9600K. Which may displace the Ryzen 7 2700X.
    Ozmodan
    gervaise1 said:
    I assume Intel's objective with the i9-9900K was to create the "fastest gaming" cpu and in doing so grab headlines.  They managed it. Other faster cpus will come along but for they have the headline.
    If you've got a bunch of engineer employees who design chips for a living, but you can't have them build the 10 nm chips that you want because the process node isn't ready, then what do you do?  You don't want to pay them to do nothing.  If you ask them to take a year of unpaid leave, you'll have a lot less talent available once the process node is ready.  Instead, you have them build what they can on the old process node.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 6,898
    I would say, at this price point, I'm far more interested in a Threadripper 2920X, which is supposed to be available in a few days. 12C/24T 3.5/4.3Ghz for MSRP $649.

Sure, it doesn't have the clock speed, and it won't "game" as fast, but if anything this review shows that most any modern CPU running at a decent clock speed is going to be fast enough, and having 33% more cores/threads (not to mention PCI availability, and vulnerability slowdowns, and whatever else) for a 22% increase in cost (** @MSRP, and AMD chips seem to be more readily available below their MSRP than Intel) seems to be a good buy

If I were in that market.
    Torval
    Ridelynn said:
    33% more cores/threads
    50% more cores/threads
    Ridelynn
    Quizzical said:
    gervaise1 said:
    <snip>
    If you've got a bunch of engineer employees who design chips for a living, but you can't have them build the 10 nm chips that you want because the process node isn't ready, then what do you do?  You don't want to pay them to do nothing.  If you ask them to take a year of unpaid leave, you'll have a lot less talent available once the process node is ready.  Instead, you have them build what they can on the old process node.

In the big scheme of things the development team costs very little. OK you want to keep a valuable resource occupied but you don't have to go to market with a new design. When you cut metal on a new design is when the serious costs kick in. The manufacturing costs will dwarf the design costs.

They will have gone ahead for multiple reasons. Maybe they wanted to introduce some new process - which they might go on to introduce into their 10nm fab. Whatever. I think the headline; though was probably one of the reasons. As "meaningless" as it is because of the cost headlines generate marketing.  

The i5-9600K though might have been a better cpu to review. Faster than and nominally $66 cheaper ($263 vs. $329) than a Ryzen 7 2700X - although you have to factor in the cooler of course and as @Ridelynn says it depends how that plays out when it comes to actual prices. Much more interesting.

Where the i7 version fits - who knows. How fast a cpu do gpu limited gamers need?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 6,898
    Quizzical said:
    Ridelynn said:
    33% more cores/threads
    50% more cores/threads
    I even plugged that into a calculator. I give up. Math is hard.
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I stopped reading comments when I heard 1080P testing is pointless when the whole point is to test the CPU and the Higher FPS on LOW res ramps up the CPU more great for testing those silly high numbers. At 2k, etc res your hardly going be capping your main core on the CPU unless the game was made to do so and most are not.

Damn this site gives me cancer.

SNIP

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,055
    kanechart said:
    I stopped reading comments when I heard 1080P testing is pointless when the whole point is to test the CPU and the Higher FPS on LOW res ramps up the CPU more great for testing those silly high numbers. At 2k, etc res your hardly going be capping your main core on the CPU unless the game was made to do so and most are not.

Damn this site gives me cancer.
    With a last sentence like that it would be really good to leave then.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    gervaise1
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member EpicPosts: 1,919
    edited October 2018
    There was some discussion about this chip, and it is pretty much a waste of money. I for one would never by a processor "just for gaming". I'm getting a next Threadripper series, which IS the most powerful cpu on the planet.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 672
    Only the 9900 was reviewed but does that mean that the other 2 are good? I am going to be getting a new computer soon. My current is 8 years old. I just figure that I might go for something newer like this since it might be 8 more years before I get another computer.
    Robbgobb said:
    Only the 9900 was reviewed but does that mean that the other 2 are good? I am going to be getting a new computer soon. My current is 8 years old. I just figure that I might go for something newer like this since it might be 8 more years before I get another computer.
    Money wise it seems that 8th gen 6 core 12 threads one is where the sweet spot is. If you really need 8 cores 16 threads then 9900 is there but expensive. 

SNIP

• DarkestOverlordDarkestOverlord Member UncommonPosts: 563
    edited October 2018
    But then again..do we need i9 realy,,.games are still stock on i5 game engine since they know most of ther buyers are kidz with low end pc/laptops..so i9 will just be a " look at my porche" thing

But then again..do we need i9 realy,,.games are still stock on i5 game engine since they know most of ther buyers are kidz with low end pc/laptops..so i9 will just be a " look at my porche" thing
    Well for many games it's about that per core performance honestly yes depending what your playing. Like me I will play Factorio, Fortress Craft, X Rebirth, X4, Heavy Modded Tech Minecraft Packs with lots of automation and much more.

So to answer your question yes the i9 has that slight gain in performance per core that is great. Will we use all 8 cores 16 threads. Not right away. But also I will in streaming, recording, etc. I have other uses not everyone does but some do. 

SNIP

edited October 2018
    Robbgobb said:
    There are reviews of the other two on well known sites e.g.

Anandtech 
    https://www.anandtech.com/show/13400/intel-9th-gen-core-i9-9900k-i7-9700k-i5-9600k-review

Tomshardware
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-cpu,5847.html

Other sites as well. You can use them to compare to AMD products, check out prices etc.

As I said above I suspect it will be the i5 that grabs the limelight. As Anandtech put it: 

"When Intel’s own i5-9600K is under half the cost with only two fewer cores, or AMD’s R7 2700X is very competitive in almost every test, while they might not be the best, they’re more cost-effective.

The outlandish flash of the cash goes on the Core i9-9900K. The smart money ends up on the 9700K, 9600K, or the 2700X"

However there are new cpus coming out - as ever - and there is always the question of how powerful a cpu does one need! The much bigger question for gamers - you? - is what graphics card to choose.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2018
    How come forum posters gets so tunnel vision when it comes to cores/processor speeds but rarely talk about cache capabilities? The article mentioned it. It does make a significant difference in processing calculations.
    Prime_Directive
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    How come forum posters gets so tunnel vision when it comes to cores/processor speeds but rarely talk about cache capabilities? The article mentioned it. It does make a significant difference in processing calculations.
    It usually gets folded into a comparison between architectures.  L1 and L2 caches are per core for recent CPUs, so that doesn't differ from one CPU to the next for a given architecture.  It's only L3 cache that varies, and the marginal benefit of each extra MB of L3 cache tends to get less and less as the cache gets larger.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 152
    edited October 2018
    I bought a 9900k to play Diablo 2. Tell me, how do you feel about that?
    Ridelynn
    edited October 2018
    xDarkjoy said:
    I bought a 9900k to play Diablo 2. Tell me, how do you feel about that?
    If you are happy I am sure we are all fine with it. What motherboard did you buy to go with it? Most people are happy to hear about experiences.
    Ridelynn
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,121
    edited October 2018
    I think using a CPU under it's intended workload is the most ideal way of testing. For instance if you intend to run the CPU with a nVidia RTX 2080 at 4k resolution, then you should test it under that scenario. Anyone who looks at production/professional hardware will want to see how something performs under their usage case since architectures can wildly vary results.
    You may think that running it on the lowest settings would mean that you are only pushing the CPU, but you are also throwing completely different computations at the CPU and using a smaller memory buffer. For instance something fetching from the L2 cache may be fetching from the L3 cache with higher graphical settings. Or the memory bandwidth limitation of a CPU may be exposed.
    Cleffy said:
    You may think that running it on the lowest settings would mean that you are only pushing the CPU, but you are also throwing completely different computations at the CPU and using a smaller memory buffer.
    Framebuffers are on the GPU and the CPU never sees them.  Unless a game is built such that a higher resolution gives you a wider field of view or longer view distances, the monitor resolution has often negligible and sometimes literally zero impact on the computational load to draw a given frame.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,055
    I like these threads, every time I read them I learn something new.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...
    Just noticed he is using the AMD R7 2700x , and if you really think about price to performance, the i9900k looks like a real pile of poop. HTHe review dar enot throw a threadripper up because intel would look like clowns at this point. imho.
    edited October 2018
    I read something that said the i9 doesn't have HTC either ? I guess some kind of hypertransport mode which overclockers like to have..
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Please can you guys test MMOs (as well)? It was the only reason I clicked the review to be honest, and it would be a differentiator!