Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Expands on World of Warcraft: Classic Blizzcon Demo Expectations - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlizzard Expands on World of Warcraft: Classic Blizzcon Demo Expectations - MMORPG.com

BlizzCon attendees and Virtual Ticket holders will be able to try out World of Warcraft: Classic thanks to a demo that is being created especially for the convention. In a new blog post on the WoW site, developers expand on what players can expect, what is "new" given the foundation of Classic on the modern code base, and more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Already twice the game that BFA is by the sound of things, cant wait.
    sacredcow4TheScavengerAlomardeniterGaladournRueTheWhirlNotEvadingTaxFraudonelesslightMrMelGibsonPsym0n
  • NanbinoNanbino Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Excuses to sound why they need to do it for cash, not passionate privateers for free xD
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    No experience for PVP in Vanilla when it comes out right? No arena? Twinking will be a thing again? I'll play just for that.
    AlomarRueTheWhirl
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I must admit, I am pretty excited about this. When Vanilla came out, I was an 8 year old with dial up. I have always wanted to experience the early eras of this game. Been having a blast in BFA regardless of all the complaints. I still remember buying bullets for my hunter, and having to feed my pet. Such good times. Hope this turns out to be worth the wait!
    RueTheWhirlMensur
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    If Blizz does this right......
    This reboot could actually become "World of Warcraft II" and take on a life of its own in a new direction...

OK, OK, I can still hope can't I?
    sacredcow4Galadourn[Deleted User]RueTheWhirl[Deleted User]natpickThupliMrMelGibsonMensurblamo2000
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    edited October 2018
    This is going to be such an anti-climax of mammoth proportions. As a Vanilla player right from launch day complete with dodgy camera angles although many many moons ago it was utterly fantastic to be part of a 'living' world and such a fresh and new experience. I would say that this aspect is no longer 'amazing' in the context that it has become the normal expectation in the world we are in today.

I too remember trekking at midnight over Arathi and Hillsbrad racing at nodes to mine enough funds to buy a Horse ( Alliance then ... only because my mate loaded the game before me .... Long live the Horde hehehe ) .... either way as memorable and nostalgic as it is I think there have been so many conveniences implemented into the game that to wind the clock back fully, cannot work.

Will i give it a go .... yes of course. The same way as I would like to thrash a Ford Capri and once again perform high speed reverses. But day to day I think the crappy cold starts, the lack of aircon .... the constant winding the tape back and forward to get to the right track and the huge power lag .... Ironforge especially at Christmas hehehe ..... would just get me back to Zandalar and to an expansion that I believe is setting the whole story for far better things.

I place BFA in the same fold as Lord of the Rings the Two Towers .... a story right in the middle that doesn't have the vavavoom of being a shocking new concept but suggesting a continuing story full of promise with the Old Gods, the Void and of course the 'new' Lich King / Queen.

I think Classic will be super super niche at best .... but a comfortable old pair of shoes that bear the weight of memories but now very creased and with a very worn sole.

sacredcow4MrMelGibsonMensur[Deleted User]Psym0nJeleena
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Classic is really going to disappoint a lot of people. People remember it fondly because of where they were in life at the time. They were young. Life was simple. It was many player's first mmorpg. It's like your first car. You remember it fondly, but it's the memories that are great, not the car itself.

The best way to explain this is classic dungeons. Trying to fight through a dungeon the first time was an adventure. The adventure is over now. It's the old car.
    borghive49[Deleted User]
     I've been here a while...
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Classic is really going to disappoint a lot of people. People remember it fondly because of where they were in life at the time. They were young. Life was simple. It was many player's first mmorpg. It's like your first car. You remember it fondly, but it's the memories that are great, not the car itself.

The best way to explain this is classic dungeons. Trying to fight through a dungeon the first time was an adventure. The adventure is over now. It's the old car.
    the dungeons was secondary at best for me. finding a quest that lead to them and following the breadcrumbs to them was way more fun for me. then comes the forming of a group and traversing to this place, and fighting off groups of the opposing faction if you hadn't managed to get a full group by the time you got there. sadly this won't be able to be replicated but it was way more awesome in the beginning than salty newbs care to admit.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    Classic had a sense of wonder to it, it brought us to the ground of the Warcraft Universe, it was huge and unexplored. Now its pretty small in comparison and we know where everything is, we will for sure not get the same sense. On top of that the game has no future. So Meh it will be like going to a museum, basically fun with some friends when there is nothing better to do.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I was 40 years old when WoW launched and my first car was a piece of shit 1963 Chevy Biscayne that I paid $100 for. Gas tank fell off the car the first time I filled it up, had to tie it up with speaker wire lol.

I loved the old dungeons... I loved dying in the old dungeons, I hated speed running the old dungeons. Vanilla Scholomance FTW

Now at 54, I'm so looking forward to Vanilla WoW and No... I'm not senile...  yet ;)
    SBFordMadFrenchieAlomarThaharRueTheWhirl[Deleted User]borghive49ThuplijgDuffayWhiskeydustand 5 others.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    BFA is great, Classic will be great. Sucks to enjoy both, oh well I m not a bitter MMO player, all bent out of shape.

Can t wait to play both. 

Oh and Project Gorgon rocks.
    Thupliblamo2000
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2018
    I don't know what the reaction will be, but i imagine they will probably say they already did this in 2004 and they want something new, and blizzard will point them to BfA lol.

Note: it's a lighthearted comment. I'm happy with BfA.

I think if Classic is popular (aka profitable) enough both games can coexist, but i don't know for how long as the community will be even more split than it already is  between faction and realm imbalance.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I don't know what the reaction will be, but i imagine they will probably say they already did this in 2004 and they want something new, and blizzard will point them to BfA lol.

Note: it's a lighthearted comment. I'm happy with BfA.

I think if Classic is popular (aka profitable) enough both games can coexist, but i don't know for how long as the community will be even more split than it already is  between faction and realm imbalance.
    Imo, the faction imbalance issue is like those screaming about Google's search engine: an example where an innocent and unintended discrepancy gives birth to conspiracy-level theorizing.

• BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    edited October 2018

laserit said:

I was 40 years old when WoW launched and my first car was a piece of shit 1963 Chevy Biscayne that I paid $100 for. Gas tank fell off the car the first time I filled it up, had to tie it up with speaker wire lol.

I loved the old dungeons... I loved dying in the old dungeons, I hated speed running the old dungeons. Vanilla Scholomance FTW

Now at 54, I'm so looking forward to Vanilla WoW and No... I'm not senile...  yet ;)

At 54 you very probably are slightly senile. Being a spritely 48 I have witnessed my mate who is the same age as you and also been playing WOW since Vanilla deteriorate quite markedly since he was 52 .... alarming really. I imagine how painful the electric shocks must be as you dribble on your keyboard hehehehe .....
    laseritRueTheWhirlThupliMrMelGibsonMensurTacticalZombeh
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    It's kinda funny and pathetic at the same time honestly, but I'm more hyped to play a version of a game from 14 years ago than anything that's come out or coming out in many years. Boy this industry's fallen into the dumpster.
    [Deleted User]RueTheWhirlesc-joconnorThupli[Deleted User]laseritblamo2000
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Bukkerz said:

laserit said:

At 54 you very probably are slightly senile. Being a spritely 48 I have witnessed my mate who is the same age as you and also been playing WOW since Vanilla deteriorate quite markedly since he was 52 .... alarming really. I imagine how painful the electric shocks must be as you dribble on your keyboard hehehehe .....
    Actually those electric shocks and the dribbling are from the new sex toys the wife picked up to help keep things stimulating. ;)
    [Deleted User]Bukkerz[Deleted User]RueTheWhirl[Deleted User]onelesslightMrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Guys, stop bringing up this argument that "people are gonna be disappointed with Classic because they are in fact nostalgic and that's all"; The game's been around for a few years in private servers and, judging by the appeal Nostalrius had, is still a very good game. 

Sovrath[Deleted User]RueTheWhirllaserit[Deleted User]borghive49Thupli
    Galadourn said:
    Guys, stop bringing up this argument that "people are gonna be disappointed with Classic because they are in fact nostalgic and that's all"; The game's been around for a few years in private servers and, judging by the appeal Nostalrius had, is still a very good game. 

you have to take into account how many of the Nostalrius players are willing to subscribe to Classic WoW. Many of them wanted to play for free, just like people who played on the other hundreds of vanilla-like WoW private servers that exist.

Don't assume every one in Nostalrius wanted official classic WoW and not free WoW.
    esc-joconnorMrMelGibson

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Galadourn said:

you have to take into account how many of the Nostalrius players are willing to subscribe to Classic WoW. Many of them wanted to play for free, just like people who played on the other hundreds of vanilla-like WoW private servers that exist.

Don't assume every one in Nostalrius wanted official classic WoW and not free WoW.
    your assumption is just as flawed. if they only wanted to play for free wouldn't they want the current version rather than the original?
    [Deleted User]borghive49MrMelGibson

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I remember Neverwinter nights very fondly. I've been playing through a new game with the expansions.

Morrowind changed my gaming life. I'm playing through it now.

Basically, those games are old games but they scratch an itch other games don't scratch.

I would say just because "you" can't find enjoyment in older games doesn't mean everyone is wired that way.

Dungeons for me are always awesome. Granted, some time needs to pass in order for them to feel fresh again but they always feel fresh after some time.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Thupli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited October 2018
    Galadourn said:

your assumption is just as flawed. if they only wanted to play for free wouldn't they want the current version rather than the original?
    Before i started playing Official WoW i went through many private servers and none of them were current. The very few that were trying to get current content were mostly broken so many of them instead opted for custom servers where they altered progression themselves. It was easier to keep a stable build for a classic server than to put up with the constant changes of current WoW.

I'm not saying all of Nostalrius users wanted to play for free, i'm saying not to assume they all wanted to sub to an official classic WoW. Some sure will be glad to have a legitimate classic WoW server while others won't be willing to sub to it. The question would be how many are on each side of the coin?

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632
    I used to think this would be great. However, unless they make some QoL changes to the "classic" system, I don't think it's going to be as great as everyone hopes. Almost a year ago I tried out one of those "private" servers for the classic experience. And it was exactly what I remembered from 2004. That's great, but also quite bad. One thing that sticks in my mind, is the constant need to bounce from zone to zone to stay lined up with the level of quests you have received. It became quite annoying. But....it felt "classic" I suppose.

So I don't understand what is so special about Blizzard doing an official release of these classic version of servers when there is now, and has been servers like this going for quite some time. Unless Blizz changes some things to make it a "more fun", or "a better QoL" experience.
    RueTheWhirl
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Bukkerz said:

laserit said:

Old gamers unite!

wait........what's the cause again?
    Sovrathlaserit[Deleted User]BukkerzMrMelGibsonTacticalZombehrertez
  • PowermikePowermike Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I believe that sentiment is better kept when gaming at a slow, casual pace. Say you leveled one char casually, in like 6 months or more. You might've read quests, followed a bit storyline. So many opportunities in enjoying the game still. Just don't rush it.
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966
    I really think a large portion of those who want a classic server are looking forward to it through rose colored glasses.  once they get into it again, reality will set back in and the complaints will start rolling into the blizz forums.

I didn't like the early builds myself.  I really didn't start enjoying the game until WOTLK.  That was the peak for me and it's been falling since.
    MrMelGibsonSBFord

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.