Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE's concept in a nutshell

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    AnOldFart said:
    What really annoys me, pre kickstarter this game was sold as something totally different that what's its now become. 
    Among us are those who have seen this story unfold before.  Some would brand them Harbingers...
    Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    AnOldFart said:
    What really annoys me, pre kickstarter this game was sold as something totally different that what's its now become. 
    If by some miracle, there is ever a game released called Chronicles of Elyria, it will not be remotely recognizable as anything ever marketed with said title. Not that I believe for 1 moment it will ever release. But as I said, if by some miracle it does......It will still be shit slapped together.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Torrsk said:

In order to get a publisher, they'll 1st need something worth publishing.
    I'm sure some point on discord they have said they got publishers interested, but wanted to change things or something. Can't really remember.
    My first guess would be they wanted to hand project lead to someone who actually lived in reality.

The concept of your game is pretty irrelevant when you make ridiculous decisions like:

"We are building a massive MMO with a new studio that's never made anything and someone with no project management experience, so let's build 7 projects simultaneously!"

I'm betting there were quite a few other things they deemed worthy of change, from revenue model to selling kingdoms/power, etc.

There are just way too many red flags for any publisher with business-sense to jump into that steaming pile of bad decisions.

Let's be honest, Caspien is way too arrogant and proud of himself to allow any external influence to reach the game.
    You aren't going to attract many publishers by being completely inflexible.
    GeezerGamerGdemami
    Lokero said:
    Torrsk said:

In order to get a publisher, they'll 1st need something worth publishing.
    I'm sure some point on discord they have said they got publishers interested, but wanted to change things or something. Can't really remember.
    My first guess would be they wanted to hand project lead to someone who actually lived in reality.

The concept of your game is pretty irrelevant when you make ridiculous decisions like:

"We are building a massive MMO with a new studio that's never made anything and someone with no project management experience, so let's build 7 projects simultaneously!"

I'm betting there were quite a few other things they deemed worthy of change, from revenue model to selling kingdoms/power, etc.

There are just way too many red flags for any publisher with business-sense to jump into that steaming pile of bad decisions.

Let's be honest, Caspien is way too arrogant and proud of himself to allow any external influence to reach the game.
    You aren't going to attract many publishers by being completely inflexible.
    Son?  

Is that you?
    GeezerGamerLokero

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

AnOldFart said:
    Among us are those who have seen this story unfold before.  Some would brand them Harbingers...
    Creative inspiration needs to be grounded in reality. Kickstarters, by their very nature are people who have ideas but no sense of reality, or hell, even a good dose of pragmatism. That's why they are kickstarters in the 1st place. They can't get a solid business plan together but have good ideas. But everyone has good ideas. I'd bet we all would have something creative to add as an idea for a game concept. But without the ability to make the idea a reality, it's just a cheap dream. And that is what Kickstarter sells.
    MendelGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I hate cash shops with a passion, but honestly the idea of selling all these advantages pre-launch and then shutting the store is even worse.  The game is designed to be a playground for the rich and famous (nobles) so the idea of throwing a switch and shutting the store at launch is just silly.

This has been our point along,  as there is is P2W before launch, it should remain in place post launch in order to keep the game appealing to the whale audiance.

I'm sure there are many potential big spending customers still out there, but like most of us aren't sinking money into COE until there is an actual game available.

Makes no sense to shut them out post launch as they'll be the ones who can help keep the game viable for years to come.

One has to believe most of the pre launch whales will be suffering from a bit of spending exhaustion from supporting the development for so many years. 

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    If it fails, will the whales be able to write off on their taxes the money they spent if they haven't already.

Gdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Kyleran said:
    This has been our point along,  as there is is P2W before launch, it should remain in place post launch in order to keep the game appealing to the whale audiance.

I'm sure there are many potential big spending customers still out there, but like most of us aren't sinking money into COE until there is an actual game available.

Makes no sense to shut them out post launch as they'll be the ones who can help keep the game viable for years to come.

One has to believe most of the pre launch whales will be suffering from a bit of spending exhaustion from supporting the development for so many years. 
    With their token system, that has left the door open for a cash shop. I really wouldn't be surprised if they sold tokens post launch. They already don't believe it's pay to win, anyone that happens to have them. So in their minds not much would change overall.

While the problem with any whales, most won't ever need to buy a spark again. So I'm a count. I got 12 sparks. If I think realistic, that I die once every 6 months. But probably get longer once I lose my title. That's at least 6 years I got. Then I could think the chance I would even still be playing after that many years anyway.

With the game that doesn't encourage having alts as well. So many backers, would be getting at least 2-3 years out of their package sparks. 

But of course SBS believes the backers now will only make up 5-10% of the population come launch. One main reason they feel anything brought now, doesn't mean anything. Which is utterly impossible to tell naturally.
    KyleranSlapshot1188Gdemami
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    From Caspien:

This really explains it.  It is all about the Kings and Nobles... everyone else is just there to add some background action.

Nobody really cares about Bob the Farmer... but you need a lot of Bob the Farmers in order to support a Robert the Bruce.

...there are more than plenty of Bob the Farmer no one cares about in EVE Online and it works just fine.

A troll CoE thread on monday, you start the week in shape!
    FlyByKnight
    Gdemami said:
    From Caspien:

This really explains it.  It is all about the Kings and Nobles... everyone else is just there to add some background action.

Nobody really cares about Bob the Farmer... but you need a lot of Bob the Farmers in order to support a Robert the Bruce.

...there are more than plenty of Bob the Farmer no one cares about in EVE Online and it works just fine.

Two days late and a dollar short.
    Like usual.

KyleranDakeru

Gdemami said:
    From Caspien:

Two days late and a dollar short.
    Like usual.

I'm starting to think perhaps he is a backer.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Gdemami said:
    From Caspien:

Thing is, CCP does not openly support a multi tier, priviledged class player structure, outside of pay a sub, or play for free.

Soulbound does.
    GdemamiSlapshot1188GeezerGamer

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...
    FlyByKnight
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...
    Factually, @Kyleran is correct.  You are arguing just to argue, or to get your post count higher.

DakeruKyleranGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...
    Factually, @Kyleran is correct.  You are arguing just to argue, or to get your post count higher.

I thought deliberately misusing the votes on this site to troll posters was against the TOS. How has he gotten away with it for so long?
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...

I thought deliberately misusing the votes on this site to troll posters was against the TOS. How has he gotten away with it for so long?
     If I were a betting man, I'd wager it's because nobody is inconvenienced enough by an LOL to go through the trouble of reporting it.

He's like a troll under a bridge that doesn't confront anyone about paying a toll, he just grunts menacingly at folks from below as they walk across the bridge.

EDIT - to clarify, for the sensitive: I said he is like the under-the-bridge troll, not that he is.  No name-calling!
    Post edited by MadFrenchie on
    GeezerGamerNeutralEvil

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...

If I were a betting man, I'd wager it's because nobody is inconvenienced enough by an LOL to go through the trouble of reporting it.

He's like a troll under a bridge that doesn't confront anyone about paying a toll, he just grunts menacingly at folks from below as they walk across the bridge.
    "Against the assault of laughter, nothing can stand."
    - Mark Twain
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...

Well, that and the system doesn't view an LOL as a negative, but awards points for collecting them.

The LOLs I've amassed just from him propelled me to orange status back in the day.

It's all good.

;)

MadFrenchieSlapshot1188ConstantineMerus

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...

Well, that and the system doesn't view an LOL as a negative, but awards points for collecting them.

The LOLs I've amassed just from him propelled me to orange status back in the day.

It's all good.

;)
    The whack-a-LOL guy?  I just think of him like this forum's cheerleader or a court jester or something.  He's building people up and trying to entertain(and probably trying to get attention).  And, for people who care about the points, it's freebies, so they probably don't mind.

You rarely ever see him post, so he's not worth noticing if his effort is to troll, like @MadFrenchie says.  I think I can count on my fingers how many times I've actually stumbled across him posting, and then it's usually like one vague sentence.

I guess if they actually cared about troll voting, they wouldn't have put in the LOL and WTF options to begin with.
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188
    Lokero said:8
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:
    Gdemami said:
    Kyleran said:
    Thing is...
    No, it isn't...

It's all good.

;)
    The whack-a-LOL guy?  I just think of him like this forum's cheerleader or a court jester or something.  He's building people up and trying to entertain(and probably trying to get attention).  And, for people who care about the points, it's freebies, so they probably don't mind.

You rarely ever see him post, so he's not worth noticing if his effort is to troll, like @MadFrenchie says.  I think I can count on my fingers how many times I've actually stumbled across him posting, and then it's usually like one vague sentence.

I guess if they actually cared about troll voting, they wouldn't have put in the LOL and WTF options to begin with.
    They considered not providing either, only did so due to the clamor for downvoting.

Doesn't bother me if others are laughing with me or at me, better than roaring silence.
    Slapshot1188

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    After that reference I just had to ask..

Am I the only one noticing similarities between these maps and the GoT main continent?
    Wellspring
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    After that reference I just had to ask..

Am I the only one noticing similarities between these maps and the GoT main continent?
    Now that you mention it, yes. The shape does remind me a lot of Westeros. 
    --------------------------------------------
    They are all pretty similar.  North to south so he can squeeze in both snow and desert areas.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    No way a creative team like this would copy elements of a big fantasy IP!

Kyleran5CARLLeTT
    Harbinger of Fools
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    See I LOL a post I find funny, some posts do actually make me laugh. If people are using it for a negative reason then IMHO their perception is skewed.