Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old School Crew looking for new MMORPG! HELP!

cyberjock045cyberjock045 Member UncommonPosts: 14

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations.  Back in high school and college (near 20 years ago), my friends and I got in to our first mmorpg (Asheron’s Call).  We zombified ourselves and nearly gave up all contact with the outside world as we lost ourselves in the mmorpg world.  We played AC exclusively for several years until WoW came out and did the same with it for many years.  Over time we started losing some of our crew as they rejoined the “living world” and started families and lives of their own (which I was guilty of as well).  Some of us have been in and out of various mmorpgs but still missing the rest of our crew and longing for the game play styles of the past.  Just this week, I contacted everyone in the original crew and told them I was looking for a good mmorpg to get back in to and lose myself in.   To my surprise, everyone was ready to join me once again and bring back the sleepless nights!  We are looking for a good mmorpg to get in to and we have list of criteria that we are looking for.  I have included the list below.  The game we are looking for does not have to have all the criteria but we are looking for the game that has the most of it.  The list is ranked from the most important features to the least important.

- True Massively Multiplayer (no lobby, private server or MOBA style games)

- Decent Size Active Player Base

- Subscription Based (no free to play, no pay to win)

- Classless Character System

- Somewhat Modern Graphics Engine

- Open World PVP

- Strong Loot/Item System

- Non Lock Targeting (evadable projectiles) (skill based combat)

- Decent Crafting/Profession Systems

- Open World (no Zones)

- Death Consequences  (loss of XP and/or loss of items, etc.)

- Player Housing (non-instance if possible)

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CJ

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    The subscription-based requirement eliminates all but a few MMORPG's. The classless character system eliminates most as well.
    cyberjock045ThupliAlbatroesVestigeGamerAlBQuirkyScotPhry
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Sorry many of us are looking for the same thing. 
    Vanilla WoW is the only option.

cyberjock045NorseGodPhry
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited October 2018
    Your popular sub based games are going to be, World Of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy XIV....but your list of needs do not match what you are looking for with those two. Plus you have already played WoW in the past. 

Others i'm sure will jump in and try to give some assistants to, but I can give you my suggestions and what others may also likely drop as well. The MMO market has been stale for a long time most may not want to admit it, but others have seen the decaying shell. 

For what is out already 

-Elder Scrolls Online is pretty damn good, it is buy to play with an opt sub that is pretty nice. There is no pay to win the cash shop is full of cosmetic and some xp buffs. Iv never felt pressured to spend money along the way and the game can be 100% played with no sub. 

There is massive scale PvP in one large large zone, there just is not lose items on death that you want. The only zone that is open PvP is cryodil in the middle of the game world.

You have player housing(although it is instance...)

There is a pretty damn nice crafting system in place.

Game is action based combat with dodge rolling and blocking. 

Player base is large and steady. 

This is the one game that has taken me over for some time now as I want for some others to come out that may be nice.
    Pantheon is one in dev that aims to bring back the old school feel of mmo gaming and community such as games like AC, EQ1, Ultima Online. May seem impossible but its nice to think on. 

Other games I will drop suggestions on would be Guild Wars 2, Shroud Of the Avatar(eh) and Legends Of Aria (which is a sandbox style mmorpg might be more towards your list of needs but I know little about it).  Last you have Camelot Unchained all though it is not out yet, people are looking forward to it and also goes along with your list of needs. 

However Dark Age Of Camelot if i'm not mistaken is a Sub based game and does go along your list of needs I just don't know how the player base is doing. (Not action combat)

Hopefully I was able to give some assistants, sorry if this is a wall of text. Hopefully others jump in to try and give you a hand as well. Best of luck to you!
    cyberjock045

• cyberjock045cyberjock045 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Forgrimm said:
    The subscription-based requirement eliminates all but a few MMORPG's. The classless character system eliminates most as well.
    I do realize that the list would be short, and that is a good thing.  The reason for wanting subscription-based is that we have noticed that when it costs to play per month the population of "non-adult" players are drastically reduced.  Thank you for input.

Rhoklaw said:
    So, you'll have to redefine your list.
    We do realize that there is no game that has all of our list,  just looking for the game that has most of it.   Thank you for the BDO recommendation, we will check it out!

Sorry many of us are looking for the same thing. 
    Vanilla WoW is the only option.

You would think if there was a high demand for it, someone would make it... shows what I know about business!  Thanks!

Hopefully I was able to give some assistants, sorry if this is a wall of text. Hopefully others jump in to try and give you a hand as well. Best of luck to you!
    I will look in to your suggestions.  Thank you, it was very insightful. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    Look at Project Gorgon it hits many of your marks , has 2 of the AC devs making it and a dedicated ACrefugee guild in it
    cyberjock045Thupli
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I feel your pain. Old AC'er and WoW guy here. You might try one of the private WoW realms... I am on one that goes through Wrath and seems very stable and well run (cough Warmane cough). 
    cyberjock045
    Scorchien said:
    Look at Project Gorgon it hits many of your marks , has 2 of the AC devs making it and a dedicated ACrefugee guild in it
    Finvega said:
    I feel your pain. Old AC'er and WoW guy here. You might try one of the private WoW realms... I am on one that goes through Wrath and seems very stable and well run (cough Warmane cough). 
    Thank you both.  Adding both suggestions to the list to look in to!
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited October 2018
    The longer your list of requirements is, the less likely it is that anything can satisfy them all.

That leads to people just ignoring your list and recommending whatever game they like.  People mention WoW, but it lacks several of the things on your list, whether Vanilla or the modern incarnation.
    PhryAlBQuirky
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Let us know if you found one, OP. Been waiting well over a decade, myself.
    cyberjock045
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    The closest MMO might be ESO but in reality the MMO you are looking for doesn't really exist. With the modern day "innovation" of F2P/B2P the classic MMORPG from the era of EQ is dead. If you don't want instant gratification with loot boxes and P2W elements there isn't much for you in the MMO genre anymore (with the possible exception of maybe WoW, FFXIV and ESO).

If modern graphics wasn't on your list I might suggest an EQ TLP server such as P99, EQ Reborn or even one of the official Daybreak TLP servers. I did the P99 thing for quite a while not that long ago and it reminded me just how good EQ was and still is even with dated graphics. They even have a pvp server if that is your preference but it's not nearly as populated as the pve variant.

The downside of P99 is that it's been around a while. So while it has a large enough active community it is very top heavy which makes the end game congested and somewhat toxic since raid targets are contested. If you don't care about raiding then it won't matter and the server is pretty good.
    NorseGodcyberjock045
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Have you tried ESO? It meets some of your requirements although not all... not that anything these days would.

• It's a true MMO especially in PvP where you can have several hundred in the same zone. Busy PvE areas do culling via phasing.
    • Population is large and stable
    • It's technically sub-optional but the cash shop is just convenience stuff and the sub gives you lots of QOL benefits. Most regular players do sub.
    • It's a hybrid class/classless system. Almost everyone runs around with about 1/3 class skills and 2/3 non-class skills that everyone has access to learning and training.
    • Graphics are very good.
    • The PvP is DAoC style if you know what I mean. It's persistent 24/7, 3 sided open world but only in the one massive PvP zone. Elsewhere it's PvE only.
    • The item system is awesome and uses a Diablo-like item set concept. With the apex set bonus doing all kinds of interesting things like pet and/or ability procs, etc.. There are literally 100's of sets in the game and when you get them they're scaled to your level.
    • Targeting is lock-on but dodgeable or blockable or LOS avoidable.
    • Crafting is deep and enjoyable and it allows you to improve non-crafted drops.
    • It does have zones with loading screens.
    • Death consequences are of the trivial variety (item repair) and no item loss.
    • Player housing is instanced only: everyone uses the same front door of a house they own but go into their own instance

Cyber_wastelandcyberjock045kertin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Have you tried ESO? It meets some of your requirements although not all... not that anything these days would.

• The PvP is DAoC style if you know what I mean. It's persistent 24/7, 3 sided open world but only in the one massive PvP zone. Elsewhere it's PvE only.

The only thing that even remotely resembles DAOC, is the fact that there is 3 factions, and it ends there.
    Yeah? Siege engines, keep capture and repair. I played the shit out of DAoC and this is as close as anyone has gotten to that since then. WAR didn't do it and GW2 didn't either.

It ain't perfect but it's the best 3 faction RvR around these days.
    NorseGodSinsai
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I feel like if the game you're describing existed you would already know about it. 
    NorseGod
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Rhoklaw said:
    Just be aware, with BDO, it's leveling is open ended so to speak. It has a soft cap instead of a hard cap. I believe the first 58-60 levels aren't too hard to earn, but 60+ and it literally turns into having to kill like 100,000 mobs just to level.

Then you have the gear progression, which revolves around a very very horrible RNG grind. That is where the P2W elements come into play with stuff you can purchase off the cash shop. Ranging from pets to loot for you, to crafting insurance items and so on.

Uhg. Just reading your description of BDO "progression" makes me want to vomit.
    Cyber_wastelandNorseGodVestigeGamer
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    l think Camelot Unchained will be realatively close to what you are looking for.  
    Another you may look at is Pantheon.

Neither are out yet, though Camelot Unchained is just starting Betas.
    cyberjock045
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Darkfall: New Dawn is probably a good direction, although at this point the game is on it's deathbed.
    cyberjock045

MurderHerd

Honestly, the next best thing to flop is currently being made.  Use that line for everything coming out... games aren't sticking, the population of people who have massive amounts of time to spend on a game is spread thin, a lot have gone to survival games or just stopped gaming. 

At the end of the day, people who love old school games will more often than not, hate new style games that try and mimic the old, it's not as good and the new MMO experience isn't there. I LOVED MMOS for many years, and I have hope something like Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, or one of the other in development for what feels like a lifetime, that we're all watching closely will have that magic, but let's be real... it won't. 
    Well spoken, 
    Anything for the past 10 years are not meant to be played as a group.  They have the group mechanics in place but are not designed to be done.  It's true they may have end game and mini games in place but that doesn't cut it for groups trying to play together. 

People mention ESO however its not for groups of friends, it's just not.  People tend to suggest games they are trying at the time.  Their just giving their temporary hype that all of us have whenever we start a new game.  I often play a WoW emulator I've been playing on and off  for years with friends...Sadly it's the only thing. 

People are waiting for Pantheon, because their looking qualifications to play with friends such as the OP.
    cyberjock045Thupli
    Utinni said:
    I feel like if the game you're describing existed you would already know about it. 
    I would normally get that impression too "he most likely know this already". 

However people here tend to act like nothing is wrong.  So with only 12 post and being new, he probably has false hope and asking.  He may feel that he is missing something that we may know when in fact he is not...He's in the same boat we are.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Utinni said:
    I would normally get that impression too "he most likely know this already". 

However people here tend to act like nothing is wrong.  So with only 12 post and being new, he probably has false hope and asking.  He may feel that he is missing something that we may know when in fact he is not...He's in the same boat we are.
    Everyone has their own 'list' of things they would like in a game, the trouble is that the longer the list, the more it diverges from everyone elses. Chances are there will never be a game that fulfills all those listed features, so the best they can hope for is one that fills enough of them to be considered worth playing, the real question then remains as to how much of a compromise is acceptable. :)
    cyberjock045
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Albion online is an Open World Full Loot PvP sandbox MMORPG.  Might want to look at that for some risk reward gameplay.
    cyberjock045
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518

Hey guys, looking for some recommendations.  Back in high school and college (near 20 years ago), my friends and I got in to our first mmorpg (Asheron’s Call).  We zombified ourselves and nearly gave up all contact with the outside world as we lost ourselves in the mmorpg world.  We played AC exclusively for several years until WoW came out and did the same with it for many years.  Over time we started losing some of our crew as they rejoined the “living world” and started families and lives of their own (which I was guilty of as well).  Some of us have been in and out of various mmorpgs but still missing the rest of our crew and longing for the game play styles of the past.  Just this week, I contacted everyone in the original crew and told them I was looking for a good mmorpg to get back in to and lose myself in.   To my surprise, everyone was ready to join me once again and bring back the sleepless nights!  We are looking for a good mmorpg to get in to and we have list of criteria that we are looking for.  I have included the list below.  The game we are looking for does not have to have all the criteria but we are looking for the game that has the most of it.  The list is ranked from the most important features to the least important.

- True Massively Multiplayer (no lobby, private server or MOBA style games)

- Decent Size Active Player Base

- Subscription Based (no free to play, no pay to win)

- Classless Character System

- Somewhat Modern Graphics Engine

- Open World PVP

- Strong Loot/Item System

- Non Lock Targeting (evadable projectiles) (skill based combat)

- Decent Crafting/Profession Systems

- Open World (no Zones)

- Death Consequences  (loss of XP and/or loss of items, etc.)

- Player Housing (non-instance if possible)

Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

CJ

It's strange that 20 years ago, this list would have been viable with many suggestions coming forth. It's just not an MMO for today.
    cyberjock045delete5230

VG

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    try ESO op its not exactly what you want but its close. 

The exact type of game you want just isn't in demand anymore so they aren't being made. TBH I would be surprised if it ever happens again on a major scale.

Every few years a indie pops up with an attempt at it and ultimately it fails for many reasons but mostly because its a game made for such a small group of people. 

Nostalgia keeps people holding on to it, or playing emulators but imo that classic mmorpg train left long ago. The sort of silver lining is we now get to see the effect that MMORPGs has had on the industry at large. Almost every game is adding MMO type features because of how big MMOs got in the mid 2000s. We are literally living the effects of 2002-2009 today. 

I'm guessing a lot more of those quasi MMO games (MMO-Lites) are going to come out in the next few years and there will be no more traditional MMOs left, hell there aren't any right now if I'm being honest. ESO, FFXIV and WoW are the closest thing to it but even they are still "MODERNIZED" versions of the mmorpg. 

But again this site is mostly people who hold on to nostalgia like their life depends on it so most of them will tell you that there is no change and MMORPGS are fine because there is one they are excited about in kickstarter currently lol. 

Personally the best I can hope for is the dragons/swords/magic version of Destiny but with crossplay support. 

That'll be something.
    cyberjock045
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Project 1999 might be worth a try.
    AlBQuirkycyberjock045

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    There are acheron's call emulated servers, if AC is your first love.
    Quizzical said:
    The longer your list of requirements is, the less likely it is that anything can satisfy them all.

That leads to people just ignoring your list and recommending whatever game they like.  People mention WoW, but it lacks several of the things on your list, whether Vanilla or the modern incarnation.
    Again, they are not "requirements"... it is not required that the game have all of the list... looking for the game that has the most of them.  I guess I should have put that in highlights and bold.

NorseGod said:
    Let us know if you found one, OP. Been waiting well over a decade, myself.
    You bet!  I have a long list now of games i'm researching to see which will be a "best fit" for us.  We may end up with a couple to try out.  Regardless, I will post back here with our status.

Vinterkrig said:
    ... and I have hope something like Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, or one of the other in development for what feels like a lifetime, that we're all watching closely will have that magic, but let's be real... it won't. 
    We will be watching them too.  Thanks for the heads up!

Iselin said:
    Have you tried ESO?

A few of us tried it at beta... but we were upset because we were looking for a multiplayer Skyrim.  That was more our fault than anything.  ESO has been mentioned a few times now on this thread and so it is added to our list to check out again (this time with a less subjective view).

Utinni said:
    I felt the same way before making this thread... but then I though, "could it be possible that I don't know everything?"... As very unlikely that it might be that I do not know everything, I did decide to post and see what others had to say anyways.

Thupli said:
    l think Camelot Unchained will be realatively close to what you are looking for.  
    Another you may look at is Pantheon.

Neither are out yet, though Camelot Unchained is just starting Betas.
    Thanks! They are both on the list and we will be keeping a watch for them!

Darkfall: New Dawn is probably a good direction, although at this point the game is on it's deathbed.
    That is unfortunate.
    Blackboa said:
    Albion online is an Open World Full Loot PvP sandbox MMORPG.  Might want to look at that for some risk reward gameplay.
    Added to the list, thanks!

It's strange that 20 years ago, this list would have been viable with many suggestions coming forth. It's just not an MMO for today.
    I know right?

klash2def said:
    try ESO op its not exactly what you want but its close. 
    Thanks!  We will be checking back in to ESO.

Amathe said:
    Project 1999 might be worth a try.
    Thanks, Checking it out!

There are acheron's call emulated servers, if AC is your first love.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I have tried some of them, but I think we will have to wait till they are much more polished (if they ever get there).