Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long do you typically stay at "endgame" in an MMO?

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like quests so  DLC, or expansions mean the game continues for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Po_gg said:
    Kyleran said:
    I think TSW was the turning point,  I realized quite early while leveling in Egypt trying to catch up to guildmates I was working towards an end game which only included raiding and I set aside theme parks for good.
    Leveling in TSW? You're confusing it with Legends mayhaps... :smiley:

For the question, typically not long. I am and always was a journey player, endgame is the end of the game for me. When I'm there I just look around, get the content out of it, and leave.
    Even got kicked out of a guild once, maybe around 15 years ago, because I refused to powerlevel my character just so I could take my designated spot in the raid calendar faster... :smile: 
    I'm an explorer and adventurer right since the MUD era, and always made fun of the "living by the raid calendar, life starts at the level cap" players happily.

Endgame treadmill is the dumbest concept in the genre, imo, but apparently it is the core gameplay for a lot of players, so most likely it will stay in the games.
    I'd like to say this fact doesn't affect me, however that is not exactly the case. Endgame focus made the "journey" part in games shorter and more streamlined over the years, so in that sense it does affect my gameplay afterall.
    Unfortunately I can't do anything about it, besides ignoring the fact, and enjoying the journey.
    I think he might've been referring to the old system's skill points or whatever.

But I'm with both of you on not really seeing the point in wow's gear tredmill. When I first played in cata, it was alright enough to kill time plus I really liked bg pvp so that's what I ended up doing most of the time. Then when I tried to seriously raid probably towards MoP or so, I didn't really get why I was doing it. Now wow is to the point (or has been for a while) that the patch is the only thing that matters and you can skip raid tiers all together. That part bugs me because some of the raids are really well designed and even if you bust your arse to clear mythic, people will either say "so what?" or just buy clears (that's always been a thing though in any game, even in FFXI). 'Challenge' is fine and all, but the average gamer will only do something 'challenging' enough to clear it, not do it repetitively, which is the point of it. Right now, in wow-like games (wow, ffxiv, etc), you can calculate when ilvl increases and when old raids within the same expansion phase out, which is 'normal' for WoW players. I guess since I played FFXI for so long, I'm still used to expansions adding onto the things you do instead of funneling everyone into a patch even though I dont play it much anymore.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Rarely ever. Considering I've reached "endgame" in only a few of MMOs, I don't have a lot of experience.

The biggest factor is not the game play itself, but the players. I first reached "endgame" in Wizard101. But when my "friends" stopped playing, I had little reason log on.

I reached "endgame" in WoW and continued playing because of the guild (thus players) I was in. When Cata hit and destroyed our "Druid Only" guild, I left. I refused to do "dailies" and raiding by itself was not a big draw for me.

City of Heroes was similar to WoW. I had a great guild and played on an awesome server. There came a time, though, when things started falling apart. Known players became less frequent. Sometimes real world issues came up, sometimes it was just lost interest for a time. Again, the game play did not keep me logging in, the players did.

Overall, I'm not a "treadmill player", and when I see through the shiny graphics and look at the game play, the illusion is dispelled. So in game friends are what make or break the "endgame" for me.
    DibdabsKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR