Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Quests be able to be completed out of order?

WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
One of the unique things from EQ1's questing system was that quests could be done out of order. Without talking to the quest starter NPC, you could kill a mob and find quest items. You could then hold onto the quest item until you eventually figured out what quest it was for. 

I found this approach enjoyable, as it allowed you to do the quests backwards if you wanted to and perhaps discover quests that you would've never known about. Also, you didn't have to run into town to pickup quests before going into a dungeon.

Any word on how questing will work in Pantheon?

I know they have the perception system, and in the demo videos, with the key being hidden behind a fallen rock, it seems that you may only be able to pick up the key if you are not on that specific step of the event. Which I understand. Certain quests may need to be done in order (as was the case in EQ1 too), but hopefully they plan to have plenty of quests that can be completed out of order as well.

--------------------------------------------
Amathe

Comments

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    I hope Pantheon follows the EQ model or something close to it.  By that I mean quests don't have to work just like they did in EQ, but that they should be integrated into the game so as to be hardly noticeable.  It's been quite awhile since I've played any MMOs, but I seem to recall later ones holding your hand throughout most of their quests.  There shouldn't be a giant blinking light over an NPC with a sign that says, "Click on me first" to start your quest, and there shouldn't be direction arrows showing you where to go next.

It may be more challenging and time consuming to receive a quest and be completely clueless about what to do next, but that's part of the fun of playing an MMO and what makes it the word I go back to time and time again...immersive.

I agree with you about being able to do quests "out of order", meaning (I assume) that you don't actually have to officially accept a quest in order to start it.  You can start collecting certain quest items and already have them in your inventory before you go to the NPC that gives you the quest.  By contrast, it seems later MMOs had completely linear quests where you had to do each step in order to complete it.  That was pretty maddening.

One last thing.  Again, I don't know how they are going to work, but if Pantheon has "no drop" items as EQ had, I hope Pantheon allows for multi-questing.  That may or may not have been an unintended bug in EQ (I don't know), but ultimately I think it was a good thing.  I understand the rationale behind no drop, I think it's primary function was to prevent a person from over-twinking alt-characters.  But I believe devs should allow players to bypass that limitation on quests by multi-questing.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    I'd love for grinding in a party to level to be a thing again and for quests to be only for important stuff like skills/spells etc, but that's just me.
    Eronakis
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Albatroes said:
    I'd love for grinding in a party to level to be a thing again and for quests to be only for important stuff like skills/spells etc, but that's just me.
    Probably how it will work actually as they likely lack the resources to fill the game up with a lot of quest content.

It's probably going to be more of a camp grinder particularly at launch.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:
    Albatroes said:
    Probably how it will work actually as they likely lack the resources to fill the game up with a lot of quest content.

It's probably going to be more of a camp grinder particularly at launch.
    You bring up a good point. I hope they don't add the high-level exp quests after launch.

The best time I had in Vanguard was at launch when I got to be lvl 35+. They didn't have any of the high level quests in game yet, so then it became like EQ1 where you were forced to group up and grind mobs to level. You could exp wherever you wanted, not just where the quest hubs were.

Once you FINALLY hit lvl 50, it felt like a real accomplishment.

THEN, a few months after launch, they added in all of the missing quests for levels 35+. The time it took to level from 35-50 was reduced in half (or more). It completely diminished the accomplishment of reaching max level the hard way. And accelerated the issue of launching with no end game raid content.

Point being, Pantheon needs to launch with all of the exp quests in-game AT LAUNCH, if they're going to have them at all. Not add them in a month or two after the game is live.
    Kyleran
    --------------------------------------------
  • asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    I dont think there will be much in the way of high xp quests as they don't want quest to be the focus for lvling. 
    I expect a fair few quests will come from a consequence of adventuring - either some weird loot drop that is linked to other loot drops from around the world and perception spotting something while you are hunting. I hope most quest come from adventuring in an area rather than quest hubs sending you from A to B.

If the above is true i would think quests would be less linear and more like many eq1 quests
    Wellspring