Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cool Youtube, Getting ready.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited September 2018 in Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen
Thought this was fitting. 

The title was:  Preparing My Wife for Pantheon with EVERQUEST

[Deleted User]

Comments

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Am I gonna die? I dunno? Should I keep hitting it? Are we gonna make it? ut ohhhh I don't think, awww! ok! we got it hes running away...  (one of the small things that made EQ awesome) None of that 1 swing and 20 mobs fly to the floor dead garbage... Even small encounters could keep you at the edge of your seat...  
    Amathenatpick[Deleted User]ScorchienjimmywolfKiori001Hawkaya399Mensurdcutbi001NorseGodand 1 other.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Ppiper said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Am I gonna die? I dunno? Should I keep hitting it? Are we gonna make it? ut ohhhh I don't think, awww! ok! we got it hes running away...  (one of the small things that made EQ awesome) None of that 1 swing and 20 mobs fly to the floor dead garbage... Even small encounters could keep you at the edge of your seat...  
    Died too many times from Spiders near the newbie log.
    The thing that really made me think that EQ1 was picking on me was the rabid animals in Qeynos Hills.  I died so many times there.  I even got on a warrior's 'purple' list, cause he bandaged me up while i was rabid with negative HPs.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Advanced loot window?!!
    Thats not classic!1
    Amathe
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Same as FFXI,tons of quests but were not the ideal target of the game but more so in game as ....quests instead of XP fodder.

I couldn't get into EQ,had a few people constantly bug me to play it but for me the FPS's were way more fun,the Quakes/Dooms/Hexen's/Unreal's.It wasn't until FFXI that i saw a deep enough game and combat and classes done the way i wanted to see them done that i became addicted to mmorpg's.

Besides,fps's were playing for FREE,modding free,mapping free,i had no reason or incentive to jump into EQ1.
    The other factor was the internet,many still only had 56k when EQ1 came out so fps's were a much better option.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Now as to Pantheon,i feel that just like VG ,a game that looks good on paper but will come out looking like a crowd funded game.The graphics will be nice but if all i wanted was graphics,i would go play FFXIV.
    Pantheon has a LOT to prove to incite me to want to play,otherwise it might just look like the other few thousand games rolling through the forum turnstiles.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    edited October 2018
    This Nathan Naplam guy is annoying.  He's basically just the Pantheon forums in a video.  Just without intelligent counter arguments to what he's saying.

However, the video with he and is wife is funny.  He has a lot of patience.
    JeffSpicoli
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Old school wasn't harder...  It was totally just like today's game.

Yeah, just like walking to school uphill in the snow is the same as taking the bus.

I swear, listening to some people around here, they actually believe in this nonsense. Not only that, but they push it like their livelihood depended on making other believe this delusion.  
    I don't know much, but at level one I got murdered many times.  

In modern games it's impossible to die at level 20.   

Like walking to school uphill ?.... Now its more like kids are auto transported to school :)
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited October 2018
    Hmm why buy cloth armour for god's sake? You can basically get a full set by killing skeletons and gnolls in Qeynos and Qeynos Hills. You can get lots of gold by selling all those rusty weapons and the cracked staff was one platinum if you do the quest for Sneed and get rid of the 'Rat' problem he has he will give you better rates and you will get a a few more copper for each item you sell and it adds up.

I agree he has a lot of patience. The swimming bit was quite funny.
    Amathe
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Xodic said:
    That was funny. "We're playing a game called EverQuest and there are no quests?". The thing is, EverQuest actually had QUESTS, quite a lot of them, but lacked the monotonous tasks we now refer to as quests.

EverTask... that would have been terrible.
    The game had some quests that were worth doing. It also had some quests that were really worth doing (like Epic Quests). But the overwhelming number of quests left you feeling like the reward just wasn't anywhere near worth what you had to do to get it. And, as the years passed, that just got worse, as quest items became outdated. 
    svanndcutbi001

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    Xodic said:
    That was funny. "We're playing a game called EverQuest and there are no quests?". The thing is, EverQuest actually had QUESTS, quite a lot of them, but lacked the monotonous tasks we now refer to as quests.

EverTask... that would have been terrible.
    The game had some quests that were worth doing. It also had some quests that were really worth doing (like Epic Quests). But the overwhelming number of quests left you feeling like the reward just wasn't anywhere near worth what you had to do to get it. And, as the years passed, that just got worse, as quest items became outdated. 
    For every good quest in EQ1, there were several others that were just wastes of time.  That is, until your faction got messed up and you had to give milk to a guard about 10,000 times to get your faction fixed.  Normal things, like Bandit Sashes in the Karanas were great for early game low-level cash.  Then they added the Enchanter epic quest, and each one of those sashes you had turned in 4 expansions ago now required thousands of repetitions of the milk quest to repair your faction.  After they removed any faction effects from illusions, that is.

More a case of expansions made without understanding how things had worked, i think.  The paladin Sir Lucan quest was a similar faction mess right from the start.  If you helped out, you basically had to avoid Freeport, or spend an eternity fixing that faction with mindless quests.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited October 2018
    Fixing faction by turning in muffins and other stuff by boat loads was shit I agree. Most mind numbing, boring and ridiculous design and I take tasks any day over that crap.

I recall going to Plane of Growth and one of the elves with me killed something in the group she was in did not actually attack it and was kill on sight in Felwithe. I disbanded left when someone said it would ruin faction and never went in there again. Tunare I think I cannot recall it was ages ago .
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:

Fixing faction by turning in muffins and other stuff by boat loads was shit I agree. Most mind numbing, boring and ridiculous design and I take tasks any day over that crap.

They should have made the muffins where every time you turn in 100 of them, there is a chance to spawn the Muffin Man of Death. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2018
    Gyva02 said:
    THIS. 1000 times.

But the bite better match the bark. "Are we gonna make it?" is an empty statement if there're no negative consequences to losing. I don't think I'm the kind of person who can roleplay it or rely solely on imagination. The threat needs to be real and occasionally show itself. If I never fail or die there's no edge of the seat.

Some people only need a good story. I need more than that.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    I watched this video again last night. It's been said already, but there really was drama even at the lowest level.

Will the sewer rat make it to the water? Will the healer drown in the pool? Don't touch that dial. 

No other game I have played delivered suspense like that at such an early stage.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    That is because you missed out on Ultima Online.. =P 

This have been a good conversation

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Everquest: When Trash Mobs Were the Final Boss.

Protip: Pressing the W key harder, won't make your character run away faster (even though I drill the W key anyways). :)

Oh! I have another one.

I press the W key so hard, it is now a diamond.
    AmatheKyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • asteldiancaliskanasteldiancaliskan Member UncommonPosts: 58
    NorseGod said:

Protip: Pressing the W key harder, won't make your character run away faster (even though I drill the W key anyways). :)

Oh! I have another one.

No, but jumping while you ran could make the difference between life and death! 
    Kyleran
    DMKano said:
    Ppiper said:
    Gyva02 said:
    Died too many times from Spiders near the newbie log.

Because players didn't understand the underlying game mechanics and math formulas.

It's all about levels and gear in EQ1 - those same spiders would be a joke if you had 5 more levels and next tier of gear
    Thus the expression "Revenge is a dish best served up five levels later."

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    NorseGod said:

Oh! I have another one.

Haha, and let us not forget that the game programmers had some notorious vector issues and you could actually run faster while strafing at an angle than running full speed ahead.

If the mobs were as fast as you, all you had to do was strafe to stay ahead until you hit a zone line or something.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Lokero said:
    NorseGod said:

Oh! I have another one.

Haha, and let us not forget that the game programmers had some notorious vector issues and you could actually run faster while strafing at an angle than running full speed ahead.

If the mobs were as fast as you, all you had to do was strafe to stay ahead until you hit a zone line or something.
    or another group!
    Gyva02