Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti SLI: Worth It With NVLink? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti SLI: Worth It With NVLink? - MMORPG.com

The game has changed for SLI. With the RTX 20-series, NVIDIA seems to have reaffirmed their dedication to multi-GPU support with the introduction of NVLink. These new connectors offer more than 12x the bandwidth of last generations’ high-bandwidth bridges but the proof is in the pudding. We tested two 2080 Tis to find out. Read on to see the state of SLI at the start of this new generation.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    The 2070 just became availabe as of today @ $600. I'd like to know where it stands compared to the 1080 TI and the new 2080 TI singles instead of SLI. Because it is half the price of the 2080 TI and less than 2/3rds the price of the 1080 TI. That said, even if it does 80% of the 1080 TI it'd be well worth it in comparison. I remember when the old 880's came out and they were what was needed for Crisis and it was $600-700 new to the market.
    Ozmodan

• GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    It's coming soon! We got our samples a little late due to a shipping error but they're being benched now.
    catofmanyOzmodan
  • SephrusSephrus Member UncommonPosts: 76
    And they STILL wont be able to ray trace 60fps at 1440p or 4k. Dont listen to these paid advertisers, hold off until the next gen of cards when there are actually ray tracing games out to play and the technology has some seat time. Or if you have to have the latest and greatest, just buy one. The number of games available right now that support ray tracing and SLI are 0.
    Phry
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited October 2018
    What i want to know is what else do i have to upgrade to take full advantage of this card. Right now i have 2 970s in sli but also a motherboard from that time. Im sure i would need to upgrade the mobo as well.
  • PartieplayinPartieplayin Member UncommonPosts: 93
    edited October 2018

Siphaed said:

The 2070 just became availabe as of today @ $600. I'd like to know where it stands compared to the 1080 TI and the new 2080 TI singles instead of SLI. Because it is half the price of the 2080 TI and less than 2/3rds the price of the 1080 TI. That said, even if it does 80% of the 1080 TI it'd be well worth it in comparison. I remember when the old 880's came out and they were what was needed for Crisis and it was $600-700 new to the market.

THE 2070 is like having a gtx 1080 for twice the price.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    What i want to know is what else do i have to upgrade to take full advantage of this card. Right now i have 2 970s in sli but also a motherboard from that time. Im sure i would need to upgrade the mobo as well.
    The mobo should be fine. You only need PCI Express 3.0 x16 slot, which your motherboard should have if it's same age as GTX 970.

RTX 2080 Ti also requires quite a lot from PSU, but not as much as running GTX 970 SLI.
    GroqstrongOzmodan

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    For gaming purposes, the only reason for SLI bridges or NVlink bridges to even exist is that Nvidia is completely unable to make a respectable implementation of PCI Express. Ordinary 2011-era PCI Express 3.0 x16 has massively more bandwidth than you need to transfer every other frame between GPUs. That's why AMD dropped CrossFire bridges years ago in favor of simply using PCI Express. Of course, it also helps that AMD's implementation of PCI Express actually works how you'd hope.
    Ozmodan
    Siphaed said:
    The RTX 2070 is a little faster than a GTX 1080, and a lot slower than a GTX 1080 Ti.  At current prices, it's really not that interesting for gaming purposes.  It's also going to stay a lot more expensive than a GTX 1080 unless Nvidia discontinues the latter, as it's a far more expensive card to build.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Why would you use 2 x 2080 rtx ti ?  thats like duble dipping
    Ozmodan

I assume crypto mining? Games are not advanced this point to where that much power makes a difference. 200 fps is pointless other than to say hey man I get 200 fps in such and such game.
    Never underestimate the ability of slow software to run poorly even on very fast hardware.

Besides, if games decide to use full ray tracing, 2x RTX 2080 Ti won't be anywhere near enough to get 60 frames per second at 1920x1080.  That's Nvidia's plan to convince people that they need to upgrade for many years to come.
    [Deleted User]
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I don't think there are many games that utilize ray tracing. It is not worth it until it becomes mainstream.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

I assume crypto mining? Games are not advanced this point to where that much power makes a difference. 200 fps is pointless other than to say hey man I get 200 fps in such and such game.
    Almost all algorithm has ASIC now there is not a whole lot of point mining using expensive GPU. a 2080 only generate $1.20/day that still doesn't include the cost of electricity at $0.1/kwh you are looking at $0.9 cost of electricity, and If I'm not mistaken some of the US electricity is multi tiered the more you use electricity the more expensive per kwh. so no people won't be buying this for mining.
    I don't think there are many games that utilize ray tracing. It is not worth it until it becomes mainstream.
    There likely aren't any games that do real-time ray tracing.  Plenty of games have pre-rendered lighting effects that used ray tracing.  But if you want to ray trace everything in real time, the hardware to do that without restricting you to extremely simple scenes or extremely low resolutions simply doesn't exist yet.

Nvidia doesn't even seem to have ambitions of doing that in the near future.  Rather, they're pushing an approach of partial ray tracing:  just enough ray tracing that you need the top end hardware in order to get good frame rates, but not actually enough ray tracing to get the visual benefits of it.
    vegetableoilOzmodan
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Games that have said they will be supporting rtx? Very limited.
    Games that have actually physically shown they will support rtx and are able to by either an example, alpha look at an rtx patch or demo in any way? 0
    Ozmodan
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Games that have said they will be supporting rtx? Very limited.

Games that have actually physically shown they will support rtx and are able to by either an example, alpha look at an rtx patch or demo in any way? 0

But look at it as what the secret ingredient for the next console war/race is going to be on about. Last gen it was HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray. This gen it is 4K vs VR and everything in between. Next gen will kick off with Ray Tracing as a big key feature.

"Coming Soon: PS5! Now with beyond photo realistic 4K, ray traced graphics at 60 FPS! Launching Nov. 2020, just in time for the holiday season! Pre-Order today!".

So ya, nVidia will have 1 more year of PC guinea pigs to help send configuration data to their servers in order to get the cards just right for those massive Sony/MS contracted orders that will surely happen.
    Ozmodan

• JippiijooJippiijoo Member UncommonPosts: 100

yea i get your point, but 240hz monitors need that 200+ FPS
    Ozmodan
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Absolute no for me I'd still rather do a 1080Ti SLI setup. you can pretty much get 1080Ti's for $500 now so I'm still spending less than a 2080Ti and getting way way more performance per dollar.
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    edited October 2018
    Quizzical said:
    Siphaed said:
    The RTX 2070 is a little faster than a GTX 1080, and a lot slower than a GTX 1080 Ti.  At current prices, it's really not that interesting for gaming purposes.  It's also going to stay a lot more expensive than a GTX 1080 unless Nvidia discontinues the latter, as it's a far more expensive card to build.
    Actually, the benchmarks I have seen show the RTX 2070 can be slower than a GTX 1080 and since 1080's can be had in the 400's it makes no sense to buy a 2070.   As to ray tracing, the 2070 and upcoming lesser cards do not have the horsepower to run it.  The 2070 is just an overpriced 1080 with no other benefits.

Anyone contemplating purchasing a 2070 needs to reevaluate that thought.

As to SLI with the current cards, there is little reason to do it.  Unless you are running a big monitor, 4k is still not that big a deal, and running at 2k is more than enough resolution for most games.  On anything under 40 inches, the difference is so slight as to be not worth getting a second GPU.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited October 2018
    Ozmodan said:

Actually, the benchmarks I have seen show the RTX 2070 can be slower than a GTX 1080 and since 1080's can be had in the 400's it makes no sense to buy a 2070.   As to ray tracing, the 2070 and upcoming lesser cards do not have the horsepower to run it.  The 2070 is just an overpriced 1080 with no other benefits.

As to SLI with the current cards, there is little reason to do it.  Unless you are running a big monitor, 4k is still not that big a deal, and running at 2k is more than enough resolution for most games.  On anything under 40 inches, the difference is so slight as to be not worth getting a second GPU.

RTX 2070 can be slower than 1080 - as in a situation where RTX 2070 is slower than 1080 exists if you go out of your way to look for that situation and ignore everything else.

But in practise it's a bit faster than GTX 1080.

EDIT: But GTX 10xx cards are still likely a better purchase than RTX 2070
    Ozmodan

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Sephrus said:
    And they STILL wont be able to ray trace 60fps at 1440p or 4k. Dont listen to these paid advertisers, hold off until the next gen of cards when there are actually ray tracing games out to play and the technology has some seat time. Or if you have to have the latest and greatest, just buy one. The number of games available right now that support ray tracing and SLI are 0.
    And it might be years yet before ray tracing even goes mainstream, and thats a huge assumption right there, just because something is possible doesn't mean it will be used, lets face it, unless consoles support it natively, its a none starter. Maybe the next generation of GPU's will need to have it, but, then again, maybe not. :/
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Vrika said:
    Ozmodan said:

RTX 2070 can be slower than 1080 - as in a situation where RTX 2070 is slower than 1080 exists if you go out of your way to look for that situation and ignore everything else.

The point being, you get a card that is basically the exact same performance for $200 more that does nothing better than the 1080.   That is what makes the 2070 a braindead purchase!!!
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    edited October 2018

Ozmodan said:

Vrika said:

Ozmodan said:

The point being, you get a card that is basically the exact same performance for $200 more that does nothing better than the 1080.   That is what makes the 2070 a braindead purchase!!!

You mean that's what makes the entire RTX series a brain-dead purchase. 2080 and 2080Ti are not worth it in the slightest either unless you have money to burn. If your an enthusiast and want to make it rain cause your bored then by all means go ahead. If you even slightly care about your money you skip the 2xxx series entirely.
    Ozmodan
    "Can be" is an awfully weak claim.  I can concoct situations where an RTX 2070 is slower than a Radeon RX 580, but that doesn't mean that such situations would be typical.
  • louis.imbrognolouis.imbrogno Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited October 2018
    Sadly i dont have much faith in SLI. i've used 680 sli and now 970 sli. 3440x1440. There is success in certain games, and a definite improvement. But there are certain games that support SLI that run like crap, and SLI causes graphical glitches even to this day. For example, black desert online. If i run SLI, i get random times where the whole game goes black for 20-30 seconds, then comes back. Turn off SLI and this never occurs. Attempted a fresh install, and different drivers after a clean removal and same thing. Can find posts about this all over.

There are some games that take good advantage over it, and others that have good fps result increases but yet feels like its stutterinig, which you dont see without SLI. as much as i'd love to go this route, i've decided from personal experience that a single card solution is the best way to go. SLI support and optimization from the vendors is always an afterthought, and a bastard child. SLI IMO should only be considered if you buy 1 card, use it for awhile, and maybe 2 g ens down the line theres a sale on a used one somewhere and you can get a great price and buy a link and toss it in your box. Thats what i've always done, and i recommend if you want to go this route. Just my 2 cents to try and help anyone else thinking about this.
    Ozmodan
  • dannyo969dannyo969 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I have 2 2080ti and nvlink and sli sucks with it , until more games like strange brigade and sniper elite 4 are made which use async and mgpu not sli it's worthless because of stutters even on sli supported games . Framerate is one thing frame time is another and they go hand in hand. I was excited about this but didn't know enough about it at the time until I got my hands on it and began to tinker . Strange brigade and sniper elite 4 work so well with 2 cards . I'd hold off for now . That being said 1 2080 ti is not even close to worthless unless you don't care a ton about gaming but if your on this forum and even know what one is chances are you care . Before some says I'm rich and buy anything with no worry , I was a heroin addict at when my sister passed away and have worked my balls off to get what I wanted and still not close to rich just an impulse buyer . It's in my dna haha.