Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

delete

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    anyway I find cute people who think goverments are there to protect you:3
    NorseGodKyleran
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019
    Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited December 2019
    Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited December 2019
    Phry
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2018
    Lumbeyard is open-source, you as a developer access all its code when you download their codebase, a backdoor on a game engine like this would not go unnoticed, everything on the code is documented.

There's no data they can get on FOIP, LY has no such feature, it's locked to SC's codebase.
    Kyleran
    edited December 2019
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Asm0deus said:
    Heh I guess you all dont use cell phones, much less those ones that use finger prints to unlock...and this is your worry? 

Bit late on the ship I think!

EDIT:  We are on our way to a real 2077 dystopian future where we're all punks tracked by our Cyber implants!
    :D
    most of us will be dead or very old by the year 2077. 
    KyleranNorseGodAsm0deus
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

NorseGod said:
    Well, when a developer with the qualifications says it doesn't, then ok. Now, to determine what CIG or other gaming companies (EA) would do for a buck. That's something we also don't know.

Let me ask you something.

Were you ok with Amazon getting caught selling FOIP data to the government without the endusers' permission?
    Oh yes you know, I have seen many github projects where shady code bits were found, it's impossible to hide them because all the code is open, and all that code is meant for people who work with it, go through, modify and expand upon, so it always gets found.

If that is already the case on small projects, imagine one of the main engines around, not realistic at all.

And I wouldn't, the only legit reason for that to ever happen include consent. They can do that with Americans, but they can't do that with Europeans, the laws here are strict on that point.
    edited December 2019
    Asm0deusKyleran
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Heh I guess you all dont use cell phones, much less those ones that use finger prints to unlock...and this is your worry? 

EDIT:  We are on our way to a real 2077 dystopian future where we're all punks tracked by our Cyber implants!
    Perhaps but I think CD Projekt Red might surprise us!
    ;)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2019

NorseGod said:
    Are you talking about GDPR?

I need to double check that. EU has treaties, agreements, and partnerships on data sharing. All the US has to do is say the magic words "War of Terror" and the US gets it. Are you sure this applies to governments and corporations or just corporations?
    It does apply to governments since it was implemented not even the gov services can call your phone without your consent to be able to do so, the right to erase your data and such is against corporations.

But in terms of the collection of this sorts, to be legal when made by a company it requires consent.
    NorseGod
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Given my avatar... I feel I should say something.. so...

Something.
    NorseGod
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:

I need to double check that. EU has treaties, agreements, and partnerships on data sharing. All the US has to do is say the magic words "War of Terror" and the US gets it. Are you sure this applies to governments and corporations or just corporations?
    It does apply to governments since it was implemented not even the gov services can call your phone without your consent to be able to do so, the right to erase your data and such is against corporations.

But in terms of the collection of this sorts, to be legal when made by a company it requires consent.
    here is the good thing, they need your consent to contact you, collecting your info without you knowledge is ok, as long you don't find out.

remember the whole smart tv liked to the internet listening everything said in that room?

a open source code having a hidden code to steal info is hard to hide, but remember most games app and so on require a login and registration, you guys are willing to share most of your data already then they store all you look and buy, and then they sell taht data to companys to understand on how people on your sex/ age backet/country/ internet usage spend money so they can try to push ads to get even more money.

and yeah I read all I write and it looks like a conspiracy theory and like i'm wearing a tin foil hat, the scary thing is its all true and things will get worse, hell I don't even belive the theory conspiracy 50 years ago was that creative then the people are doing today....
    NorseGod
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:
    NorseGod said:

here is the good thing, they need your consent to contact you, collecting your info without you knowledge is ok, as long you don't find out.

remember the whole smart tv liked to the internet listening everything said in that room?

a open source code having a hidden code to steal info is hard to hide, but remember most games app and so on require a login and registration, you guys are willing to share most of your data already then they store all you look and buy, and then they sell taht data to companys to understand on how people on your sex/ age backet/country/ internet usage spend money so they can try to push ads to get even more money.

and yeah I read all I write and it looks like a conspiracy theory and like i'm wearing a tin foil hat, the scary thing is its all true and things will get worse, hell I don't even belive the theory conspiracy 50 years ago was that creative then the people are doing today....
    It's not conspiracy-sounding because it's been documented to occur.  Companies like Facebook made their fortunes selling precisely targetted user data to advertisers like you describe.  It hasn't been until very recently that the general public has begun to grasp the breadth of information these companies have been skimming off of them for a while now.

It's a different thing @alkarionlog @MadFrenchie on EU companies doing that will hit directly as a crime, on the US is just a practice and you barely see consequences.

So companies can keep doing that, but if they want to do it with EU citizens and there is no consent being given, the EU is more than happy to lay sanctions against them. Security stuff as authorities crawling through data when it's used on that context has been happening since the data was registered in paper, but as for the rest...
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    It's a different thing @alkarionlog @MadFrenchie on EU companies doing that will hit directly as a crime, on the US is just a practice and you barely see consequences.

So companies can keep doing that, but if they want to do it with EU citizens and there is no consent being given, the EU is more than happy to lay sanctions against them. Security stuff as authorities crawling through data when it's used on that context has been happening since the data was registered in paper, but as for the rest...
    Yea, I'm well aware Americans are all too willing to give up their rights to their favorite companies without even bothering to fight for them.  It's ironic, considering the context of the foundational principles the country was built upon.  We recently found out that the FCC lied about suffering a cyberattack when thousands of people were trying to let them know they didn't want the net neutrality rules repealed, and that of the unique commenters, something like 95%+ were asking the FCC not to repeal net neutrality..  They did it anyways, and everyone's too busy to even notice.  We, as a people, have the attention span of a fruit fly.  "Lost that battle!"  "....  Wait, what battle?"

Maybe it's the lack of hundreds of years of perspective as a people that causes us to see these things so differently.

MaxBacon said:

MaxBacon said:

did you read your user agreement from your games, apps and free e-mails?

even if that was not the case, what i'm describing is on whole world, I don't live on US and EU people also use the internet, is not because you think europe is a special snowflake it means its true
    did you read your user agreement from your games, apps and free e-mails?

even if that was not the case, what i'm describing is on whole world, I don't live on US and EU people also use the internet, is not because you think europe is a special snowflake it means its true
    The agreement on that sort of stuff is there yes, that's why it can't happen sneakily it's there, people might ignore but accept those terms.

Now in EU law, we have, the right to erase, services CAN'T keep our data, even if it was given to 3rd parties and you can go there, this is why several US services suddenly became blocked for EU peeps, and ask them to permanently delete your data, not doing that goes against the current law.

On this aspect it's pretty clear, they can keep doing it if they do not get caught, but if they do, unlike what been happening on the US, they will be in trouble for it.

Yea, I'm well aware Americans are all too willing to give up their rights to their favorite companies without even bothering to fight for them.  It's ironic, considering the context of the foundational principles the country was built upon.  We recently found out that the FCC lied about suffering a cyberattack when thousands of people were trying to let them know they didn't want the net neutrality rules repealed, and that of the unique commenters, something like 95%+ were asking the FCC not to repeal net neutrality..  They did it anyways, and everyone's too busy to even notice.  We, as a people, have the attention span of a fruit fly.  "Lost that battle!"  "....  Wait, what battle?"

Maybe it's the lack of hundreds of years of perspective as a people that causes us to see these things so differently.
    EU is more proactive on consumer rights than the US, and this is known, so this stuff in here is still one ongoing battle.

And the EU's steps with the data protections have made a huge difference, from sudden I'm not getting spam bombarded anymore, having the ability to go to a place and say "I want my data on your service permanently gone", things like that are not any full victory but they are a huge improvement on the direction the abuse of data and privacy was going.
    NorseGodOctagon7711
    edited December 2019
    NorseGod said:
    MaxBacon said:
    You are putting a lot of weight in your comments about companies, but what about governments? Can they still collect data on people and follow them around with cctv cameras? What does that part of the law say?
    Governments collect your data since data was on paper and not in digital format, in terms of security and the necessary control to be able to counter criminal activities more effectively, this sort of practice should be done by authorities, I wouldn't be worried about this, just about  what if that practice goes beyond that scope.
    NorseGod
    edited December 2019
    alkarionlog
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MaxBacon said:
    Lumbeyard is open-source, you as a developer access all its code when you download their codebase, a backdoor on a game engine like this would not go unnoticed, everything on the code is documented.

There's no data they can get on FOIP, LY has no such feature, it's locked to SC's codebase.
    I know sometimes game companies make deals with third party companies to share the information they harvest to bring in extra revenue.
    NorseGod

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    klash2def said:
    Asm0deus said:

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    OG_Zorvan said:
    NorseGod said:
    MaxBacon said:
    You are putting a lot of weight in your comments about companies, but what about governments? Can they still collect data on people and follow them around with cctv cameras? What does that part of the law say?
    I routinely wear a hat and dark shades when out. Along with my nice, long, thick beard. Not worried at all by camera tech, it's easily beaten. Also have no cell phone, no web cams, and no smart tvs. Being old enough to not need all the little gadgets others do in a world going to surveillance hell has it's advantages.
    What advantages would that be? To live in the dark ages?  Consider joining an Amish community, should suit you.

The real art is learning to hide in plain sight.

maskedweasel[Deleted User]alkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon