Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overwatch & the Breast Cancer Research Foundation Share Insights on How Funds are Used - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageOverwatch & the Breast Cancer Research Foundation Share Insights on How Funds are Used - MMORPG.com

The Overwatch site has been updated with a new blog post in cooperation with the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. After players helped raise nearly $13M dollars earlier this year through sales of the Pink Mercy skin, the Foundation wanted to share insights into how those funds are being used in the spirit of transparency.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Cool now instead of doing Pink Gnomes thing how about allowing other races with pink hair, or selling unique skins across other games too so another 13 Million + can be raised?

How about a Junk Rat alternate gender skin?
    gastovski1ZenJellywinghaven1
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Why are they donating to breast cancer when the vast majority of their customers are men. Donate to prostate cancer... It's just as deadly and woefully underfunded in comparison .
    gastovski1ZenJellyMrMelGibsonWarlyxinfomatz
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Draemos said:

Why are they donating to breast cancer when the vast majority of their customers are men. Donate to prostate cancer... It's just as deadly and woefully underfunded in comparison .

Are you really complaining about who companies donate to....? Shouldn't you be complaining about companies that dont donate at all like SE (or at least publicly)?
    Panther2103SBFordMrMelGibsoninfomatz
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Draemos said:
    So as men we just don't care about breasts anymore? I don't think either sex is going to support your argument. 
    ElendengelZenJellyMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102

Draemos said:

So as men we just don't care about breasts anymore? I don't think either sex is going to support your argument. 

I mean breast cancer is over funded. I think doing a drive for prostate cancer would be a great thing.
    ZenJelly
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

Draemos said:

The reason attention is brought to breast cancer the way it is and for a entire month in October is because it is one of if not the most treatable and curable if detected early. The whole push for Breast cancer awareness is for women to get their annual mammograms.

As far as prostate cancer goes as men we would have warning signs such as difficulty or constant urination or sensation to pee. At which point you would see your doctor ect ect, even then Prostate cancer is one of the least deadly cancers you can get as a matter of fact it is very common in men. With breast cancer its a very treatable cancer if caught early and its not something that can always be easily detected among women. Often Women will get a Mammogram despite not feeling any lumps or having any pain symptoms ect ect & discover cancer... Hence the push for breast cancer awareness and to get those check ups done. I hope I'm explaining myself clearly enough where you understand Breast cancer has a certain set of circumstances around discovery and treatment that push it to the forefront of awareness.

I know why you said what you said especially on this site where some try to push a political agenda or a political ideology but this is not the fight you want to make. October Breast Cancer awareness month is a good thing, Some of us have wives or girlfriends (hopefully not both lol) & sisters But all of us have mothers. Women we love are apart of lives and this is a good cause and not a political one. I really hate preaching to people on any subject but if you do your research you will see this is a good thing, In the world we live in today its gotten harder to tell.
    SBFordConstantineMerusZenJellyPanther2103MrMelGibsoninfomatz
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    mallettjt said:

Draemos said:

I mean breast cancer is over funded. I think doing a drive for prostate cancer would be a great thing.
    There are drives that target cancer research in general.  Stand Up to Cancer is a celebrity-led drive that I think is general cancer research, not targetted to any specific cancer.

I mentioned in another thread that the body part affected by this cancer is both prominently featured in society (consider that breasts are considered different level of "nudity" than are the vagina and penis/testicles), and is a more comfortable body feature to discuss publicly.

I mean, what's the tagline for the prostate cancer event? "Bend Over for a Prostate Cure!"?
    SBFord

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2018
    Draemos said:
    Any stats to back up that claim? In fact, recent data shows that female gamers make up nearly half of all gamers worldwide.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/

Still, I don't disagree with your point that it would be nice to see a variety of initiatives. However, this particular one was done on behalf of breast cancer and the transparency on where the donated funds are going is excellent. 
    ZenJellyRenoakuKiwiHype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    mallettjt said:

Draemos said:

Any funding/research will turn out to help for many types of cancer.  Any progress is a good thing so do not look at it like spread it out or not. Just say great, lets do it again soon.

Can never be too much to any of the types/research areas as far as i am concerned.

SBFordPanther2103
  • mallettjtmallettjt Member UncommonPosts: 102

There are drives that target cancer research in general.  Stand Up to Cancer is a celebrity-led drive that I think is general cancer research, not targetted to any specific cancer.

I mentioned in another thread that the body part affected by this cancer is both prominently featured in society (consider that breasts are considered different level of "nudity" than are the vagina and penis/testicles), and is a more comfortable body feature to discuss publicly.

I mean, what's the tagline for the prostate cancer event? "Bend Over for a Prostate Cure!"?

LOL i like that tag line. But yea it's harder to market.

Also in response to SBford that study includes mobile gaming which is overwhelmingly female and a much larger market however most people wouldn't include those in the "gamers" tag. (But hey you may not be most people which would render this point moot) But I agree that all funding towards cancer is welcome :D. (My father has a highly aggressive strain nonhodgekins lymphoma. And I can only think of one research/foundation dedicated to helping victims)

ThunderC while i agree with most of your post the part about prostate cancer being one of the least deadly is either something you heard or you projecting. (Assuming no malicious intent) According to the PCF it is still the second leading cause of cancer related death in men. With lung being the leading.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited October 2018
    SBFord said:
    Draemos said:
    Any stats to back up that claim? In fact, recent data shows that female gamers make up nearly half of all gamers worldwide.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/232383/gender-split-of-us-computer-and-video-gamers/

Still, I don't disagree with your point that it would be nice to see a variety of initiatives. However, this particular one was done on behalf of breast cancer and the transparency on where the donated funds are going is excellent. 
    I think that's mobile market included which makes it inaccurate in my opinion ;) not because I have anything against women gamers, I encourage all my female companions to enrich their lives through gaming. I just don't consider mobile games as video games :P

But that's irrelevant. Men do have mothers, wives, sisters, and female friends. A serious disease targeting half the population affects everyone. 

And donating to such causes doesn't have to share a pool with the company's demographic. With that logic only homosexuals, prostitutes, heroine addicts, and I would donate to aids charities. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    How many CEO are men in comparison to the smaller number of women CEOs ,shouldn't these men be making sure their corporations donate to prostrate cancer.

I don't think the argument should be why breast cancer but more why don't more companies donate to all cancer research.
    MadFrenchie
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2018
    "transparency" oh so all of a sudden Blizzard staff have access to the charity orgs books,,i 100% DOUBT IT.
    How charities actually work is often left out or misleading,well because all they want you to hear is the positive PR spin.

As to the female only idea of this PR move,well pretty simple.There is a pecking order when comes to PR hype,children are first,female second then men.

I can simply point to a similar move,Blizzard ran a FEMALE only tournament in Hearthstone,imagine they did a men only,..lol huge flame,massive down grade in Blizzard popularity.
    For them they see the typical ease of ignoring it's fellow man ,the angle on female PR is way bigger PR for Blizz.
    mallettjtSoki123

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Breast cancer is very serious and I hope we find a cure one day.

SBFord

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2018

Without a single doubt, from September to June my treatment "featured" two surgeries, chemo and radiation and those months were the worst of my life. I had a 2-year-old who cried and ran from me when I had her dad shave my head when my hair started to fall out and who walked around with her hands in fists for the duration. I could hardly get out of bed every morning for 4-5 days after my every-other-week treatments but still did for her sake and to teach 2nd grade -- I didn't miss a single day that year. 

I don't have a lock on the pain and terror a cancer diagnosis inspires. I'm blessed to be here today when so many others aren't. If wearing pink and supporting breast cancer initiatives in October and any others for all the other cancers out there every other month is the "price" of my survival, then I'll willingly pay it. 

I celebrate every initiative like this regardless if it is in support of "my" cancer or some other one. And each and every day that I'm on this Earth, I am beyond grateful to have benefited from the generosity of donors who probably saved my life in one way or another.

I am committed to paying it forward.

IselinMadFrenchieinfomatzKiwiHype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Wizardry said:

"transparency" oh so all of a sudden Blizzard staff have access to the charity orgs books,,i 100% DOUBT IT.

How charities actually work is often left out or misleading,well because all they want you to hear is the positive PR spin.

As to the female only idea of this PR move,well pretty simple.There is a pecking order when comes to PR hype,children are first,female second then men.

I can simply point to a similar move,Blizzard ran a FEMALE only tournament in Hearthstone,imagine they did a men only,..lol huge flame,massive down grade in Blizzard popularity.

For them they see the typical ease of ignoring it's fellow man ,the angle on female PR is way bigger PR for Blizz.

Damn you re an asshole, go fuck yourself.

Good for Blizz on this.
    Iselin
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364

Draemos said:

yep why is always breast cancer? prostate cancer is the most deadly men illness , and there is no1 that cares about it (well some but come on the gap of $$$ going to breast and prostate is huge )
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited October 2018
    Draemos said:
    Why not both? Blizz certainly have the influence to help raise funds for both cases.

Both are seriously deadly. At least they are doing something to help fight breast cancer.

Some smaller companies can't do this while some other companies don't even care about this.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SBFord said:

Without a single doubt, from September to June my treatment "featured" two surgeries, chemo and radiation and those months were the worst of my life. I had a 2-year-old who cried and ran from me when I had her dad shave my head when my hair started to fall out and who walked around with her hands in fists for the duration. I could hardly get out of bed every morning for 4-5 days after my every-other-week treatments but still did for her sake and to teach 2nd grade -- I didn't miss a single day that year. 

I don't have a lock on the pain and terror a cancer diagnosis inspires. I'm blessed to be here today when so many others aren't. If wearing pink and supporting breast cancer initiatives in October and any others for all the other cancers out there every other month is the "price" of my survival, then I'll willingly pay it. 

I celebrate every initiative like this regardless if it is in support of "my" cancer or some other one. And each and every day that I'm on this Earth, I am beyond grateful to have benefited from the generosity of donors who probably saved my life in one way or another.

I am committed to paying it forward.

My mother was diagnosed with it and treated in her late 50's and she was cancer free until she died at the ripe old age of 96.

Here's hoping yours stays in remission that long too.
    SBFord
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED