Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

delete

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Tesla cars are selling like crazy and they have cameras all around them and inside the vehicle, if you get into an accident you get a phone call right away to make sure you're ok, because all their cars data are monitored.  It's only a matter of time before that information gets a subpoena by law enforcement if related to an investigation.

Then there's the whole thing about hacking.  The news has shown that any place that has your information can be hacked or socially engineered to make a business think you lost your information and need to have your password and authentication reset.  So all that information the government and companies collect may end up for sale on the dark web or worse.  

If you check one of those, 'have I been hacked' sites like https://haveibeenpwned.com/ you usually see a lot of hits, including gaming sites.  Security is still trying to keep up because over the years most companies picked the cheapest protection methods they could to save money.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Tesla cars are selling like crazy and they have cameras all around them and inside the vehicle, if you get into an accident you get a phone call right away to make sure you're ok, because all their cars data are monitored.  It's only a matter of time before that information gets a subpoena by law enforcement if related to an investigation.
    Yes, but when you think of it, if that access by law enforcement is justified and recorded as part of some investigation, and not just data being manipulated by govs for other reasons, then it is effective.

I mean just the sheer amount of crimes, accidents, etc... that were solved by cars having dash cams is enormous.
    NorseGod
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MaxBacon said:
    Yes, but when you think of it, if that access by law enforcement is justified and recorded as part of some investigation, and not just data being manipulated by govs for other reasons, then it is effective.

I mean just the sheer amount of crimes, accidents, etc... that were solved by cars having dash cams is enormous.
    Which is pretty much why I have a dash cam.
    NorseGod[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Hmm, if anyone is seriously worried about their personal profiles/information/biometrics being used for profit by companies, then i would be more concerned about Facebook than Chris Roberts, pretty sure Chris is far more trustworthy than Zuckerberg after all, imo at least  ;)
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019

Post edited by NorseGod on
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:

To be sure: if we could guarantee strictest privacy of data unless/until a duly approved warrant is given for that data in relation to solving a crime, I think most folks would be all for it.  If you can guarantee me my personal information will be held anonymously, only revealed in a way that identifies me if there's cause for a warrant, take it all and store it securely.  I can accept that.

Thing is, there are no guarantees with this stuff.  That makes it a whole new discussion.
    Kyleran

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Erillion said:
    NorseGod said:
    I don't have a footprint. But now not having a footprint makes you a "suspect". 
    "I don't have a footprint."

says the person with 1404 posts on an internet website.

Have fun

I just now watched a web cast about reducing your digital footprint, insightful info.

Presentation's tongue in cheek closing line was, "If you are really concerned about digital privacy....move to Germany."

You have any extra rooms over at your place you'd like to rent?

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

NorseGod said:
    Let's put company names aside. Let's say we see FOIP in newer games, in the future. Do you think in the future, a different game company will abuse their FOIP data?
    The number of people that would use FOIP as game feature is a niche on its own, this is not something of attractability in terms of profit generation by a private company.

Thins like when you look at Facebook or Skype, or even Discord, with the video data, that yes is the type of places authorities/intellegence agencies would be interested in.

To be sure: if we could guarantee strictest privacy of data unless/until a duly approved warrant is given for that data in relation to solving a crime, I think most folks would be all for it.  If you can guarantee me my personal information will be held anonymously, only revealed in a way that identifies me if there's cause for a warrant, take it all and store it securely.  I can accept that.

Thing is, there are no guarantees with this stuff.  That makes it a whole new discussion.
    I mean that could happen if the fight was put on the right place, such as not allowing private companies to be selling or giving data to 3rd parties, and focus the ability of authorities to request and search up data of online services.

Instead, the fight I see is directionless, it seems to be focused on this massive go at governments and authorities/intelligence agencies, while private companies go wild with it.
    MadFrenchie
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:9

It hasn't happened yet, but with ever increasing electronics and automation being built into vehicles, the day is coming when hackers will be able to make your car crash.

Then the crap is going to hit the fan.

Read more about the risks of the internet of things if you want to have nightmares about the future.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2019
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Kyleran said:
    It hasn't happened yet, but with ever increasing electronics and automation being built into vehicles, the day is coming when hackers will be able to make your car crash.

Then the crap is going to hit the fan.

Read more about the risks of the internet of things if you want to have nightmares about the future.
    That is known, but the world won't become any less connected and online in the future, quite the contrary.

But the more exploitation happens, the more awareness is risen up to a point either we achieve security solutions of virtually no vulnerabilities, or people will start to agree with more control by authorities on the online sphere.
    edited December 2019
    edited December 2019
    Kyleran
    edited December 2019
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    NorseGod said:

*** snip ***

Do you predict FOIP will be abused? If yes, Is this ok or no?
    Do I personally think CIG is abusing FOIP ? No. Will abuse? No.

Will FOIP be abused in general? It already IS ! For over a decade. Nothing new there. For details one can read Wikileaks for the next few weeks. 

Is it OK in my personal opinion? No.

Have fun 

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    It's pointless trying to keep anything "personal" to yourself. If you do anything at all, you're on the grid somewhere.

You're not even safe at home. You can thank people like me for that.  My house has external cameras everywhere.  I see my neighbors coming and going, I record when the mail is dropped off, when solicitors come by, when someone is walking their dog.  Hell, if the neighbors across the street left their curtains open, I'd likely see inside their home too.. that wouldn't be good for anyone.

In my state, you need a fingerprint to obtain your license. Just the way it is. Chances are that'll roll across the rest of the states too.  You can choose not to have a license or ID, pretend you're off the grid, live in the woods, and try to be completely self sufficient so you never have to step foot in a store, never use the internet, never have a bank account or use it for anything... 

But that's highly unlikely anyone would do that these days.  I'm more of the mind today that nothing is truly "safe" and it's more hazardous to try and stop the progress of technology than to just let it happen. 
    cheyane

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Erillion said:
    NorseGod said:

*** snip ***

Do you predict FOIP will be abused? If yes, Is this ok or no?

Will FOIP be abused in general? It already IS ! For over a decade. Nothing new there. For details one can read Wikileaks for the next few weeks. 

Have fun 

What ever it takes to keep airplanes from flying into buildings. Period

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It's pointless trying to keep anything "personal" to yourself. If you do anything at all, you're on the grid somewhere.

You're not even safe at home. You can thank people like me for that.  My house has external cameras everywhere.  I see my neighbors coming and going, I record when the mail is dropped off, when solicitors come by, when someone is walking their dog.  Hell, if the neighbors across the street left their curtains open, I'd likely see inside their home too.. that wouldn't be good for anyone.

In my state, you need a fingerprint to obtain your license. Just the way it is. Chances are that'll roll across the rest of the states too.  You can choose not to have a license or ID, pretend you're off the grid, live in the woods, and try to be completely self sufficient so you never have to step foot in a store, never use the internet, never have a bank account or use it for anything... 

But that's highly unlikely anyone would do that these days.  I'm more of the mind today that nothing is truly "safe" and it's more hazardous to try and stop the progress of technology than to just let it happen. 
    Completely agree, though I would caution: not sure "letting it happen" is the best approach...  I would prefer a "monitoring its progression closely" kind of approach myself. ;)
    maskedweasel

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Completely agree, though I would caution: not sure "letting it happen" is the best approach...  I would prefer a "monitoring its progression closely" kind of approach myself. ;)
    Oh no, I'm well known worldwide to just walk into technology companies and financial institutions and I'll lay on the floor and repeat "you can do anything you want to me".  I'm very popular in those circles. 

They always go for the wallet first.. then quickly lose interest once they realize it's full of mints and pictures of sandwiches. 
    MadFrenchieNorseGod

edited December 2019
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited October 2018
    NorseGod said:
    Elsabolts said:
    Erillion said:
    NorseGod said:

Have fun 

What ever it takes to keep airplanes from flying into buildings. Period
    Ok. Thanks for your opinion.

Whatever it takes? Even travel bans for foreigners or just taking away my constitutional rights? We shouldn't go there, but consider what you are saying, is all.

"Whatever it takes ..." is an addition by Elsabolts. Not my sentence.

Have fun
    NorseGod said:
    Agreed. But, have you noticed this always leads to something more?

Ever been stopped by police and they asked where you are going or where you are coming from?

Now, they want your PIN to access your phone during traffic stops.

So that dash cam (I have them in my vehicles) will eventually be used beyond solving accidents. They won't ask "where have you been" and "where are you going". They will just take your dash cam. In this case, I'm taking my chances and keeping the dash cams. Too useful, like you said.

TSA went from checking for explosives to checking for weed. That's not their job nor the purpose of why TSA was created.

In the military we called this "mission creep".

*fun fact Michael Chertoff, former Homeland Security Director, co-Owned the company that makes the body scanners in our airports. He had 300,000 of them siting in his warehouse during 9/11. What a lucky prediction. lol
    Well, the only way to control crime is by controlling the people, if they know where you were at any moment, what were you doing, and it's all on recordings authorities can automatically access, then a large chunk of crime, especially on cities, have their days counted if the monitoring and identification systems like that ever go mainstream.

That a good thing or a bad thing? We're to see, but in a democratic state we won't see abuses of control if the people are proactive, so little chance of the US becoming North Korea on that aspect heh
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited October 2018
    Heh I guess you all dont use cell phones, much less those ones that use finger prints to unlock...and this is your worry? 

Bit late on the ship I think!

EDIT:  We are on our way to a real 2077 dystopian future where we're all punks tracked by our Cyber implants!
    :D
    ErillionKyleranNorseGod

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2019
    Phry
    Asm0deus said:
    Heh I guess you all dont use cell phones, much less those ones that use finger prints to unlock...and this is your worry? 

Bit late on the ship I think!
    I never thought of that, good catch.  Doesn't matter to me, had to give my fingerprints to the Sheriff's office to get a concealed weapons permit many years ago.
    Asm0deus