Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Russian Player Data Lost as Pearl Abyss Takes Over Publication - MMORPG.com

Comments

• BeezerbeezBeezerbeez Member UncommonPosts: 302
    I didn't catch it in the comments or the story, so I apologize if I've missed it but:

Will this impact players who purchased items from the BDO store or whatever? That's a thing, isn't it? How will that be handled?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

SBFord said:

That's what you get if you have an greedy Developer.

If Pearl Abyss would actually honor their players instead of trying to milk them, then they would renew the status quo with that Publisher so that noone looses their money/time.

I can bet that PA will not refund any single pearl item but refers to say buy it again! And obviously blames the publisher who just fulfilled their contract.

After all it was PA who did not want to renew it.

Did you actually read any of the article? PA doesn't have the information to restore any CiS player's items, or refund them. That data is held by GameNet.

PA is well within their rights to cut out the middle man between them and their CiS customers. GameNet doesn't want to play ball and would rather fuck their customers over than help make the transition as smooth as possible. Trying to use player data to extort more money out of PA is about one the lowest things I've seen in gaming.

Pearl Abyss even mentioned that GameNet was using the playerbase as "weapons" to effectively "force" them to buy the translated version they'd created. How true that is remains to be seen. It may well end up in court.

Russian Court? Good luck winning that fight.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Wow! This is why I don't give money to these game companies. None of them can be trusted.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    All that P2W down the drain. GG Russian players.
  • NinnghizhiddaNinnghizhidda Member UncommonPosts: 12
    To anyone remotely familiar with BDO, it was well known how "P2W" the Russian version could be (even more so than the original Korean for example) and one can only imagine how much money was thrown at it, especially from all the whales who seeked to dominate and "win", considering also how completely messed up "PvP" in BDO has always been with its extreme emphasis on gear - even more so lately after the Renown Score and a series of loony patches.

The amount of tears and rage from all those who lost their very precious (and seriously expensive to make) PENs must be epic. So much for spending fortunes for silly pixels and also relying on greedy and shady companies (this goes for both Publishers and Developers).
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Regarding the pearl refund. At least on the EU Server you got many annoying mails whenever you bought pearls or anything as an recipe for your order. I'd assume the same applies to the CiS countries aswell.

That way its easily refundable but still the wankers at PA won't do shit.
    Gdemami
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589

Regarding the pearl refund. At least on the EU Server you got many annoying mails whenever you bought pearls or anything as an recipe for your order. I'd assume the same applies to the CiS countries aswell.

They can't do anything without the database. It is the publisher that offers the in game currency, mail systems, etc so PA can't do dick about it period.
    edited October 2018
    - can be deleted -
    Post edited by nfacatrius on
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

SBFord said:

That's what you get if you have an greedy Developer.

If Pearl Abyss would actually honor their players instead of trying to milk them, then they would renew the status quo with that Publisher so that noone looses their money/time.

I can bet that PA will not refund any single pearl item but refers to say buy it again! And obviously blames the publisher who just fulfilled their contract.

After all it was PA who did not want to renew it.

Did you actually read any of the article? PA doesn't have the information to restore any CiS player's items, or refund them. That data is held by GameNet.

PA is well within their rights to cut out the middle man between them and their CiS customers. GameNet doesn't want to play ball and would rather fuck their customers over than help make the transition as smooth as possible. Trying to use player data to extort more money out of PA is about one the lowest things I've seen in gaming.

Pearl Abyss even mentioned that GameNet was using the playerbase as "weapons" to effectively "force" them to buy the translated version they'd created. How true that is remains to be seen. It may well end up in court.

Right but PA wasnt using the game client rights as a weapon and thus denied the continuation of the publishing rights? I mean this is getting twisted pretty bad as usual isnt it? All PA had to do was agree to extend the current contract.

Either way as usual its the average joe players who get shat on, while the companies fight over our money, reminds alot of the NFL protests; guys making millions to play a kids game crying about oppression as the players and team owners rape average joe with insane ticket prices etc...
    CaffynatedGdemami
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    edited October 2018

Those emails don't do anything for a company that doesn't hold the actual transactions.   Every purchase you make is tied to a transaction ID that is generated by both the institution you paid with as well as the company you purchased it from's internal database.  Banking institutions are legally not allowed to release that information to third parties, and part of GameNet's package deal is the list of transaction IDs for the purchases from their store.  So Pearl Abyss would basically have to take it at face value because they can do absolutely no verification whatsoever that the email is not doctored or spoof.  This would break the hell out of the economy and marketplace in the game in an instant because of these doctored "receipts," where people would say they spent hundreds to thousands of dollars, and would create a massive influx of premium items and currency that would drive the marketplace into the ground around everyone; to the extent that it could take months to even a year or so for it to stabilize to some form of normalcy. 

And before you say it, no they can't accept and deny the receipts to their own discretion because they can't reference anything.  They wouldn't be able to tell which is valid or which isn't because there are people who spent thousands of dollars on the game which PA may very well then turn away because they didn't believe them.

Just as companies may be out to screw the players for money, there's a fair amount of players who would willingly do scummy things to get a leg up at the expense of the developers or game environment.
    nfacatriusPhry
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    On a positive note, maybe this will open some player's eyes as to how empty digital purchases are and make them think twice before spending large sums of cash on in-game items. Hell, maybe it's the beginning of the end for cashshops  :*  

One can hope.
    nfacatriusCaffynated
    edited October 2018

Wankyudo said:

Those emails don't do anything for a company that doesn't hold the actual transactions.   Every purchase you make is tied to a transaction ID that is generated by both the institution you paid with as well as the company you purchased it from's internal database.  Banking institutions are legally not allowed to release that information to third parties, and part of GameNet's package deal is the list of transaction IDs for the purchases from their store.  So Pearl Abyss would basically have to take it at face value because they can do absolutely no verification whatsoever that the email is not doctored or spoof.  This would break the hell out of the economy and marketplace in the game in an instant because of these doctored "receipts," where people would say they spent hundreds to thousands of dollars, and would create a massive influx of premium items and currency that would drive the marketplace into the ground around everyone; to the extent that it could take months to even a year or so for it to stabilize to some form of normalcy. 

And before you say it, no they can't accept and deny the receipts to their own discretion because they can't reference anything.  They wouldn't be able to tell which is valid or which isn't because there are people who spent thousands of dollars on the game which PA may very well then turn away because they didn't believe them.

Just as companies may be out to screw the players for money, there's a fair amount of players who would willingly do scummy things to get a leg up at the expense of the developers or game environment.

One could tie it to show an actual proof of payment like a sheet from your bank acc or paypal acc to verify the sum paid. That way you can get rid of most doctored recipes. Sure not all but would say (imaginary and my opinion) 90 to 95%. The bank isnt allowed to show the transaction but the owner is exempt from that.
    Gdemami
    Pesky said:
    Wow! This is why I don't give money to these game companies. None of them can be trusted.
    So you don't play games then, yet hang around gaming forums? 

Weird.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    After Bless another blow to players confidence in MMORPG's and indeed gaming in general, events such as these effectively devalue digital goods and time spent in game. But more importantly they erode the trust players have in the MMO genre.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    cis nation?
    in oposite to transgender nations? ^^
    Dakeru

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Scot said:8
    After Bless another blow to players confidence in MMORPG's and indeed gaming in general, events such as these effectively devalue digital goods and time spent in game. But more importantly they erode the trust players have in the MMO genre.
    There's still players who have trust in the MMO genre? Weird.

;)
    Scot

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Humm, If I were Gamenet I would be careful of the soup I had.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Scot said:
    This event will have zero impact on anything players do, lol

The complete loss of all digital "assets" is implicit in any online game that sells them. When a game is eventually shut down, you lose everything, regardless of how much you spent.

Gamers produce epic levels of complaining and whining, yet spending on games and "digital perks" climbs steadily every year...
    Kyleran
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If Gamenet is willing to hold players accounts for ransom in such a despicable manner, then i would seriously consider never having anything to do with any game they 'publish'. Pearl Abyss either pays the ransom, which by the sound of it is an unreasonable amount, or they take the hit and lose those accounts, the more i think about this the less i consider Pearl Abyss to be at fault, it sounds like Pearl Abyss got a bad deal from Gamenet in the first place and was exploited in their lack of experience with publishers.  :/
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Gamenet are the thugs here.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    One of the 1st times I've seen a justification for ragequit.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Again, do we know what the contract says about the data in question?

I'd be hesitant to lay blame here without first having intimate knowledge of the contract wording. CIG and Crytek is a good example of how quickly these things become less than clear-cut.

If the contract reads that GameNet owns the account information, while regrettable, I can't truly fault a company for trying to enforce a contract entered into wilfully by both parties.

I didn't follow the article links, can someone quote the applicable portions of the contract?
    [Deleted User]

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Phry said:

If Gamenet is willing to hold players accounts for ransom in such a despicable manner, then i would seriously consider never having anything to do with any game they 'publish'. Pearl Abyss either pays the ransom, which by the sound of it is an unreasonable amount, or they take the hit and lose those accounts, the more i think about this the less i consider Pearl Abyss to be at fault, it sounds like Pearl Abyss got a bad deal from Gamenet in the first place and was exploited in their lack of experience with publishers.  :/

The story is likely a whole lot more complex than that.

GameNet had to make a localized version of BDO for their market. What did it cost them ? How much of that expense did they recoup before PA yanked their license ?

Why did PA decide to revoke the license in the first place ? Did PA get too greedy and ask too much for the license renewal ? Or were GameNet trying to bargain the price down too far ?

And lastly, why does PA give their publishers such weak contracts ?
    KyleranMadFrenchie
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Phry said:

The story is likely a whole lot more complex than that.

GameNet had to make a localized version of BDO for their market. What did it cost them ? How much of that expense did they recoup before PA yanked their license ?

Why did PA decide to revoke the license in the first place ? Did PA get too greedy and ask too much for the license renewal ? Or were GameNet trying to bargain the price down too far ?

And lastly, why does PA give their publishers such weak contracts ?
    Those are all questions that should be answered before we reach a final judgement of the companies involved.

As for inexperience of PA, that's why you have lawyers review contracts.  Preferably, lawyers with experience in your industry.  If PA had in-house lawyers or inexperienced lawyers review the contract and advise them to enter into a piss poor contract, the blame lays with those lawyers, not GameNet's intentions to enforce the contract terms.
    [Deleted User]

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    People ask...."How can you win in an MMORPG?" Not sure, but this one shows how players can certainly lose,
    Kyleran[Deleted User]