Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Desert Online Russian Player Data Lost as Pearl Abyss Takes Over Publication - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlack Desert Online Russian Player Data Lost as Pearl Abyss Takes Over Publication - MMORPG.com

Black Desert Online in Russia is no longer published by GameNet, the company that has held the reins for the past three years. Publication will be assumed by Pearl Abyss in CiS nations. However, after negotiations fell through regarding the migration of account databases, it appears that players will have to start from scratch on the newly created Pearl Abyss servers.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Beezerbeez

Comments

• BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    Wow! Is there a Circle of Hell that spawns these game publishers? I know Pearl Abyss is pretty bad, but GameNet takes the cake when it comes to screwing the players.
    OyjordLeiloni[Deleted User]KyleranGdemamiRolanStorm
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    edited October 2018
    That's what you get if you have an greedy Developer.

If Pearl Abyss would actually honor their players instead of trying to milk them, then they would renew the status quo with that Publisher so that noone looses their money/time.

I can bet that PA will not refund any single pearl item but refers to say buy it again! And obviously blames the publisher who just fulfilled their contract. After all it was PA who did not want to renew it.
    Life2vdinogngastovski1KyleranGdemamiRolanStormCaffynated
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Yikes!
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Daaamn, poor Russian players.
    All those endless hours lost...
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Out of all games...
    [Deleted User]Reverielle
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    Given how grindy the game seems to be, this does suck for the CiS. I personally wouldn't trust PA after that tbh since we dont know what an "excessively high price" even means to them. This is also something to keep in mind when other developers outsource their publishing rights to other publishers for different regions.
    nfacatriusgastovski1wingoodGdemamiCaffynated
  • liffixliffix Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Hi!

Guys just a question does this mean there will be no more IP block, for example for Baltic countries like Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia?

Pearl Abyss can lift that off, no?

Thanks.
    GdemamiRolanStorm
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    How incredibly convenient, lol !

"So sorry, you'll have pay us all over again, because the evil GameNet won't give us your player data for free !"
    nfacatriusLife2vCaffynated
  • nfacatriusnfacatrius Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Pearl Abyss could lift the ip block sure.. but they rather make an own localized version for that area so they can make you different kind of whales.
  • stebo104stebo104 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Having all Russian players start from scratch? Well hope this new company enjoys empty servers, as noone will play them.
    Leilonigastovski1KyleranRolanStorm
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Shit man this is bad! Feel sorry for them.
    Chamber of Chains
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I would just quit, Iv never been one for Alts in any MMO and the idea of "starting over" is not appealing at all especially in a game like this. Sounds like gaming in Russia is a chore....
    Leiloni[Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    liffix said:
    Hi!

Guys just a question does this mean there will be no more IP block, for example for Baltic countries like Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia?

Pearl Abyss can lift that off, no?

Thanks.
    I'm from lithuania, i tried playing BDO when it was free on steam, so i guess it's not blocked. And btw, it's shit game. 
    JeffSpicoliOyjordalkarionloggastovski1
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

If Pearl Abyss would actually honor their players instead of trying to milk them, then they would renew the status quo with that Publisher so that noone looses their money/time.

I can bet that PA will not refund any single pearl item but refers to say buy it again! And obviously blames the publisher who just fulfilled their contract.

After all it was PA who did not want to renew it.

Well considering PA couldn't acquire the database, they don't have the player financial data to even tell them who purchased anything. So they couldn't offer refunds even if they wanted to. GameNet holds everything and until they're willing to make a reasonable deal, PA is forced to start from scratch.
    laxie
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Damn, and I thought a 24 hour rollback in an MMO was fail.
    SBFord[Deleted User]necrolockwingoodcheyane
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

I can bet that PA will not refund any single pearl item but refers to say buy it again! And obviously blames the publisher who just fulfilled their contract.

Did you actually read any of the article? PA doesn't have the information to restore any CiS player's items, or refund them. That data is held by GameNet.

PA is well within their rights to cut out the middle man between them and their CiS customers. GameNet doesn't want to play ball and would rather fuck their customers over than help make the transition as smooth as possible. Trying to use player data to extort more money out of PA is about one the lowest things I've seen in gaming.
    Kyleranwingood
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I do not have a dog in this fight but.. 

We all know PA could very easy give all the accounts affected something like 100 dollars worth of "pearls" as huge good-will gesture and to apologize for any inconvenience they are going though due to this mess, and it would not cost them a cent, as it's all digital vapor anyway,  maybe even toss them all a custom cosmetic crown, like some kind of "We survived The Transfer" type of deal. And this would build sold rock faith in PA to stand by their players and be there for them under any and all circumstances. 

But they won't, and we all know this, they would rather fight with GameNet while leaving their players high and dry, as I said before, Game Companies do not respect their players investments and then we wonder why communities within games are getting worse.
    iamspamicus[Deleted User]Pesky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Did you actually read any of the article? PA doesn't have the information to restore any CiS player's items, or refund them. That data is held by GameNet.

PA is well within their rights to cut out the middle man between them and their CiS customers. GameNet doesn't want to play ball and would rather fuck their customers over than help make the transition as smooth as possible. Trying to use player data to extort more money out of PA is about one the lowest things I've seen in gaming.
    Pearl Abyss even mentioned that GameNet was using the playerbase as "weapons" to effectively "force" them to buy the translated version they'd created. How true that is remains to be seen. It may well end up in court.
    Dakeru[Deleted User]wingoodRolanStorm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    So basically Gamenet believe that the players data belongs to them and Pearl Abyss should pay for it, to which Pearl Abyss replied by giving the middle finger, don't really see either one as being particularly 'Player Friendly' though perhaps its not so surprising that Gamenet would be holding the players data for ransom, given that Gamenets reputation isn't really all that good in the first place.
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

Ungood said:

We all know PA could very easy give all the accounts affected something like 100 dollars worth of "pearls" as huge good-will gesture and to apologize for any inconvenience they are going though due to this mess, and it would not cost them a cent, as it's all digital vapor anyway,  maybe even toss them all a custom cosmetic crown, like some kind of "We survived The Transfer" type of deal. And this would build sold rock faith in PA to stand by their players and be there for them under any and all circumstances. 

But they won't, and we all know this, they would rather fight with GameNet while leaving their players high and dry, as I said before, Game Companies do not respect their players investments and then we wonder why communities within games are getting worse.

You tell me how they would give anything to anybody with no data. They don't have customer data.

GameNet works like the Russian Government, by extortion. They extorted their player base and now the license holder.

Pearl Abyss is simply cutting ties to a terrible company, said company is proving how bad they really are.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Hashbrick said:

Ungood said:

You tell me how they would give anything to anybody with no data. They don't have customer data.

GameNet works like the Russian Government, by extortion. They extorted their player base and now the license holder.

Pearl Abyss is simply cutting ties to a terrible company, said company is proving how bad they really are.
    They could very easy allow for any New Account made in the Region that GamerNet (ISP tracked) controlled to be given some free rewards for "Returning To Pear Abyss" with the promise that the rewards would be transferred over to their Main account (at the players choice) once the situation was resolved.

In the Intern the new accounts would get 100 dollars in Pearls to buy stuff, maybe a pile (20) exp pots, to allow them to catch up, and a special "Welcome back to PA Pet" that looked like a Bright Bouncy Pearl.

Once things settled, transfer over Progress to their main account (Again, ISP/CC Tracked) at the players request, they would receive +EXP/+gold/+loot potions for every level their "New Account" earned, and transfer over "Base Materials" for all gear, as well as the 100 dollars in Pearls and the Special Pet.. and the "Temp Account" would get deleted.

If they were worried about abuse, they could lock the accounts so they cannot trade any Store Items, Pears. or other "rewards" to other players.

Really it's not hard to make people feel like "You got their back" if you want to make people feel like you got their back.

[Deleted User]Gobstopper3D
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    edited October 2018
    What a shit show. And since they don't have any of the data, there is no way they can reimburse people.

I doubt handing out an equal compensation to everyone will make people happy. Imagine spending $100 on a game and then everyone gets a $100 compensation. You'd still be upset regardless in my opinion.

They would have to hand out a crazy high compensation, so that most of the spenders would feel they're getting a lot more than they spent. You'd still be upsetting the high spenders though, who might represent large proportion of the overall income.

Is there any numbers on the spending distribution? How much money is coming from the top 5% of the spenders?
    [Deleted User]wingood
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407
    $100 doesn't make up all the time put in to  leveling character, gearing it up, etc.   

This isn't a good look for GameNet, or PA.  I know I would be really unlikely to play any game hosted by either one in the future.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Haven't had a chance to read the story- what does the contract say about data ownership if the two companies part ways?

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    "After reportedly offering PA a "solution" that included GameNet continuing its publishing duties and service infrastructure within CiS countries,"

This is what GameNet wants. Pearl Abyss moving to take their CiS game from GameNet means GameNet doesn't get to sit back and cash the checks. So this situation has become a crapfest for PA because GameNet gets either A. a massive payday for the player data to compensate for them not being able to reap the rewards on BDO anymore, or B. pressure PA into accepting their "solution," when player backlash pops up from them having to start all over in a holy hell levels of grindy game.

Black Desert was PA's first monumental achievement. The russian server came out three months after KOR came out in 2015 so odds are GameNet with contract in hand came to them saying "We'll publish in Russia. You get money, we get money, they play your game, everything will be good." And PA being fresh off their high of just releasing the game signed the deal with the devil and now they are finding the contract was probably a giant mess against them.

I hate PA as much as the next guy, but in this case I feel like it's another case of gross publisher taking advantage of a new talent at the time.
    UngoodwingoodWaanPhry