Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen FOIP - Space Shopping

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
edited October 2018 in Star Citizen

I DIED at the 5:35 just watch it 

This was brilliant. FOIP FTW :D 
MrMelGibson

Comments

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259

:D 
    MrMelGibson
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Yup, but the first one has a very good mouth tracking, the 2nd was very random, likely he has a better webcam or better-lit place.

Will be interesting to see what the dedicated optimized webcam hardware Faceware is to launch will allow.
    MrMelGibson
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    This feature alone saved the game. Can I talk to players next to me by using FOIP?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited October 2018
    This on the PTU is some bits on calling another player (works from mobiglas UI and ship UI), at the moment it streams the player location into your UI what is quite cool, VOIP and FOIP are being added to this cooms as well:

NorseGod said:
    This feature alone saved the game. Can I talk to players next to me by using FOIP?
    VOIP on the current build, FOIP not yet.

ErillionNorseGod
    MaxBacon said:

NorseGod said:
    VOIP on the current build, 

Oh neat! Is it working?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    It seems the proximity is not (is bug as patch notes state it's in), and the other is within your party.

also lol this https://clips.twitch.tv/ColorfulColorfulJackalDerp the thing is the FOIP trying to vibrate the lips and such too haha
    lol this is another type of comm call: https://clips.twitch.tv/FairCallousTitanNotLikeThis

Camera misaligned much, or maybe intentional? Oh no the erotic roleplayers D: 
    Don't do Widow:

This is now the official FoIP shenanigans thread.
    Hope you don't mind Max B)

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    This sure as hell does not improve on that Uncanny Valley feel the character work in this game has. But it is a riot to look at.

GG
    hfztt said:
    This sure as hell does not improve on that Uncanny Valley feel the character work in this game has. But it is a riot to look at.

GG
    Facial models with auto-mouth animation by mic sound are also uncanny. And full static facial with no animation uncanny it is. So this at least translates into animation, but how good it feels depends on how good your usage of it is.

Things like streamers, content creators and roleplayers likely the ones making the most serious use of it, the rest what is most important is just VOIP, at once I can talk with someone in front of me instead of trying to get them to open text chat lol
    On FOIP related news, Faceware is moving to the final stages of production for the webcam hardware optimized for this feature:

http://facewaretech.com/motionsensor/

hmmm made to be effective on dark rooms, that ftw
    MaxBacon said:
    On FOIP related news, Faceware is moving to the final stages of production for the webcam hardware optimized for this feature:

http://facewaretech.com/motionsensor/

hmmm made to be effective on dark rooms, that ftw
    When do they start selling our biometrics to the government?

Face Over IP/ FOIP Tutorial [Star Citizen 3.3 PTU]

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    hfztt said:

GG
    Facial models with auto-mouth animation by mic sound are also uncanny. And full static facial with no animation uncanny it is. So this at least translates into animation, but how good it feels depends on how good your usage of it is.

Things like streamers, content creators and roleplayers likely the ones making the most serious use of it, the rest what is most important is just VOIP, at once I can talk with someone in front of me instead of trying to get them to open text chat lol
    Proximity voice chat has been a thing for a while in genres like survival.  The majority of player usage I've experienced with it has been to troll other players.

Maybe SC will be different, but I'll have to see the player buy in before I'll believe SC will be different in that respect.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    MaxBacon said:
    hfztt said:

GG

Proximity voice chat has been a thing for a while in genres like survival.  The majority of player usage I've experienced with it has been to troll other players.

Maybe SC will be different, but I'll have to see the player buy in before I'll believe SC will be different in that respect.
    In "open-world" settings I'd agree with the trolling concerns, but in "closed" environments like multi-crew ships or guild bases I'd imagine the proximity chat will be very useful.
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    hfztt said:

GG

In "open-world" settings I'd agree with the trolling concerns, but in "closed" environments like multi-crew ships or guild bases I'd imagine the proximity chat will be very useful.
    I would agree if Discord wasn't already a thing.  Being able to talk with everyone on your crew without running the length of your ship just to get within proximity chat range of the engineer is a huge advantage.

In short, proximity chat came into the game too late and doesn't offer enough of an incentive to use it over something like Discord.  Players have already found third party tools they would prefer that give them more control over who within their group and game they can communicate with (and who they have to hear over voice chat) at any given time.
    Octagon7711Vrika

Oh trolls are trolls, SC has a quick interaction mode > Select Player > Mute, this is the "Shut your face" saying to a whole other level :D 

But SC needs proximity VOIP, and the ship hailing VOIP too, I find it very old school to contact people in front of you via a text chat.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I prefer third party communication tools. Not in game VOIP.

EVE Online and other games teach you harsh lessons on lack of communication in critical moments when games lock up due to server (over)load or crash to desktop (and the in game VOIP crashes with it). Especially when this happens to (fleet and wing) commanders and (squadron) leaders.

Have fun
    MadFrenchieAsm0deus
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If I'm in a small space with ten or twenty people talking loud at the same time it gets hard for me to focus on one person ingame.  I'm for third party programs or even plain old dedicated chat friend channels.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I'm not, SC already is a game where you struggle to contact another player and they usually don't pay attention to the game text chat.

Hailing a ship in front of you, or talking to a player in front of you is most important in SC; you will not have a 3rd party program to go to when you meet up random players in-game.

This is most important in situations where you want to make yourself known as not being a threat to the other player, so VOIP is needed in places a 3rd party program with friends and such is irrelevant.
    edited October 2018
    Babuinix said:

:D 
    He should definitely get someone to exorcise that demon skull trying to burst out of his neck:

BabuinixXarko

Citizen Bowie - Space Oddity (FOIP) 
    FOIP : How To

Don't

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    MaxBacon said:
    I'm not, SC already is a game where you struggle to contact another player and they usually don't pay attention to the game text chat.

Hailing a ship in front of you, or talking to a player in front of you is most important in SC; you will not have a 3rd party program to go to when you meet up random players in-game.

This is most important in situations where you want to make yourself known as not being a threat to the other player, so VOIP is needed in places a 3rd party program with friends and such is irrelevant.
    That's a pretty good argument there.   The dischord or other 3rd party channels then operate as the meta for tight beam, encrypted, private communications that can't easily be listened on.  As long as you don't have a mole.
    MaxBacon

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.