Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs You Don't Get?

13»

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member RarePosts: 9,343
    DMKano said:
    klash2def said:
    @DMKano Interesting that you feel that ESO has heavy handed questing. I actually enjoy ESO's questing. I love that there are so many different stories and you can choose what stories you really want to do. Also ESO is light on the "Fetch me x" type of quests and it makes it really feel like you are making your own story in this world. The leveling is fun because of the amount of customization. I play ESO in first person and it really feels like a "Elder Scrolls" game.

I agree with GW2 the mob scaling and the art direction was just a no for me. I hate how all the armor looks in GW2. Hate. Yuck.

I thought I was going to main Wildstar before I played it. I love Sci-Fi games and this an SWTOR were like the only good sci fi mmos on the market at the time outside of EVE (another game i don't get) but WS has the worse map design I have ever seen. Your quest log fills your map up with a ton of Icons and symbols that they don't really explain the meaning of.. its just messy. I thought the cartoon style was cool but I wasn't in love with the races. Idk it just felt forced and not cool as it marketed itself. 

I greatly dislike questing in MMOs - and there is no effective way to skip questing in ESO.

Grind grind grind. It's can be done, but yeah. I so love the way questing in Wushu was totally optional all but maybe twice a year with new releases of whatever. Their quests didnt even give experience!
  • UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,526
    For me, is was Archeage.

A lot of the gamers I knew, went to AA, and told me how great the game was, they sung it's praise and how great the game was, and it even looked like the kind of game I would enjoy.

But for the life of me.. I just could not get into the game, I gave it a solid 3 tries, Dwarf, Warborn, and Whatever the heck that cat race was... but for the life of me.. I just could not get into the game.
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
  • ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I don't get why people prefer overly easy PvE to the point where games that puts any sort of challenge in the general experience almost always fail.
    klash2def
  • GarySevenGarySeven Member UncommonPosts: 12
    ESO, because of the combat controls.  I love Elders Scrolls, including ESO, but I use a Logitech G13 with a default MMO profile, and it's not one that works well with ESO.  I keep meaning to create an ESO profile, but just have too many other games to focus on.

ArchAge, because of the PvP focus.  I was a $150 founder and knew what I was getting into, so I'm not complaining.  Just bumming because ArchAge is probably my 2nd favorite MMO behind WoW.
    klash2def
  • UngoodUngood Member RarePosts: 1,526
    ShazPur said:
    I don't get why people prefer overly easy PvE to the point where games that puts any sort of challenge in the general experience almost always fail.
    It's a simple concept really, because there are a lot of gamers that play games to unwind, relax, and get away from work. Hence the phrase "If I wanted to have to work at this, i's just put in more hours at work, as opposed to playing a game"

Also, button mashing and memorizing rotations, and encounters is not challenge, it really just a Smart Cow Problem, where once learned,  it's repetitive grind like all other content, as such, there is no real profit for a game company to make that kind of content as the challenge is at best fleeting. Once they go down that path, they then become obligated to make more of this content often at a race against the players that can solve it, that will demand more or they will quit the game.

Whereas, Simple, Enjoyable, Content, like exploration, and lore reveal, timed or random events, and the like, can keep players occupied for far longer with no need to beat the content, but simply enjoy it.

Also with current MMO's coming out, since MOBA's offer the best kind of Challenge with PvP arens battles, it's actually considered wanna be, or try hard, to look for challenge in PvE content, as opposed to PvP.

Just saying.
    OG_Zorvan
    There is no Truth, only the Illusions we wish to Cling to. Knowing this, why do we all cling to such shitty illusions?
  • thunderCthunderC Member EpicPosts: 1,911
    Without a doubt Second Life, Everything about that game makes me scratch my head. Virtual Real Estate for Real cash ? I just don't get it
    AlBQuirkyDibdabsklash2def
    “Those who control the present, control the past and those who control the past control the future.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

• ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Ungood said:
    ShazPur said:
    It's a simple concept really, because there are a lot of gamers that play games to unwind, relax, and get away from work. Hence the phrase "If I wanted to have to work at this, i's just put in more hours at work, as opposed to playing a game"

Also, button mashing and memorizing rotations, and encounters is not challenge, it really just a Smart Cow Problem, where once learned,  it's repetitive grind like all other content, as such, there is no real profit for a game company to make that kind of content as the challenge is at best fleeting. Once they go down that path, they then become obligated to make more of this content often at a race against the players that can solve it, that will demand more or they will quit the game.

Whereas, Simple, Enjoyable, Content, like exploration, and lore reveal, timed or random events, and the like, can keep players occupied for far longer with no need to beat the content, but simply enjoy it.

Also with current MMO's coming out, since MOBA's offer the best kind of Challenge with PvP arens battles, it's actually considered wanna be, or try hard, to look for challenge in PvE content, as opposed to PvP.

Just saying.
    Yeah, I certainly don't like games that makes you feel like going to work by having you mindlessly repeat the same thing over and over again, and I agree that looking up the current flavour of the month when it comes to rotations on the web has nothing to do with skill.

But the easy games that rule the market suffers from the first part more with daily activities that are no different from yesterdays daily activities. The second part is just sloppy game design that has little to do with the amount of challenge there is in the game.
  • klash2defklash2def Member RarePosts: 1,222
    thunderC said:
    Without a doubt Second Life, Everything about that game makes me scratch my head. Virtual Real Estate for Real cash ? I just don't get it
    LMAO I forgot about SL.. What the actual hell is Second Life supposed to be?! I really don't get it.

That's a level of nerdage that simply eludes me. 
    Angry Chicken
    USMC 2nd Mar Div/RCT 2/2nd LAR (Veteran)
    Music Supervisor
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,331
    edited October 23
    DMKano said:
    klash2def said:
    @DMKano Interesting that you feel that ESO has heavy handed questing. I actually enjoy ESO's questing. I love that there are so many different stories and you can choose what stories you really want to do. Also ESO is light on the "Fetch me x" type of quests and it makes it really feel like you are making your own story in this world. The leveling is fun because of the amount of customization. I play ESO in first person and it really feels like a "Elder Scrolls" game.

I agree with GW2 the mob scaling and the art direction was just a no for me. I hate how all the armor looks in GW2. Hate. Yuck.

I thought I was going to main Wildstar before I played it. I love Sci-Fi games and this an SWTOR were like the only good sci fi mmos on the market at the time outside of EVE (another game i don't get) but WS has the worse map design I have ever seen. Your quest log fills your map up with a ton of Icons and symbols that they don't really explain the meaning of.. its just messy. I thought the cartoon style was cool but I wasn't in love with the races. Idk it just felt forced and not cool as it marketed itself. 

I greatly dislike questing in MMOs - and there is no effective way to skip questing in ESO.

I agree....WoW, LoTRO and EQ2 all burned me out to the point where I never wanted to see a quest again......WHen I see a MMO with alot of questing it feels like its just to appease the masses.... ESO was a big disappointment in my book.
    Post edited by Theocritus on