Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortnite is Necessary - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited October 2018
    Rawiz said:
    My contribution may have been made in anger, due to how your question was phrased. I don't know if you realize, but WoW players have different tiers themselves (unlike FORTNITE PLAYERS). There are those who work on their gear and progress and those who just like the story and overall don't really care that much. The latter players are not accepted to proper content where shit hits the fan.
    You do realize that what you are getting mad about you are doing to other people right now, right? (Granted people who will not likely we reading these forums, but that makes no difference) Fortnite is actually 2 games, one PvE one PvP. And the PvP game is still early access! XD
    And there is 50v50, and playground mode in the PvP game, allowing for more "tiers" of players. 

Back to the OP, I also wanted to mention that I give the players credit for crossplay. The fact Fortnite is involved is coincidental.
    Hey, thanks for telling me. I've not once played fortnite and the only clip I've seen is the one where sacriel gets launched with a rocket to top of a hill and snipes someone. That game holds no interest to me, much like the entire genre. You can correct me, I'll correct those who don't understand what WoW is.

I still fail to see how you could argue fortnite is an MMO.
    Ozmodan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited October 2018
    Rawiz said:
    Scot said:
    Rawiz said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    TimEisen said:
    Let’s get one thing straight here and now, I appreciate the hell out of you guys and respect your post history’s. No need to apologize but doing so speaks to the caliber of forum fighters you are. As far as If FN is a mmorpg, that might be its own column. There’s a lot to unpack there.

For WOW, it was a mmorpg but it’s been a dungeon crawler for years. I dont know what it’s like now but last time I checked the open world devolved into a glorified lobby and you used that lobby to bring up a dungeon finder then loaded out. It’s more Diablo than mmorpg now. Given it’s the best dungeon crawler ever made, Ive had trouble calling it a mmorpg since the first expansion killed the open world.
    Bringing WOW into the conversation probably got all of us lost in the weeds. Doesn’t really matter if Fortnite is a MMO or not, you enjoyed playing it for it’s MMO-like features which are not specific to any particular sub-genre.

I don’t understand the appeal of Fortnite, but in all fairness I rarely comprehend or agree with what is popular with the majority. 
    I presume Tim means at top level WoW is a dungeon finder, you still have to get to top level in open world?

For me you can't ignore the effect Fortnite is and will have on the gaming industry, but for me it is not a good one. Just take the two things I think we can applaud Fortnite for, building and cosmetics only cash shop. Does any of us here think that will be Fortnites legacy, more games with building and cosmetic revenue only F2P games? I think not.
    ???? At top level WoW is definitely NOT a dungeon finder. It actually requires a lot of planning, executing said plans and a lot of people doing them at the same time or everyone dies.

Comparing some faceroll LOOKING FOR RAID content to mythic raids and such is fucking pathetic and shows how out of touch you and Tim are.

Of course, when compared to fortnite, lfr is exactly what you want to use. People have no clue wtf they're doing and it doesn't ever matter unlike high end WoW.
    Thank you for your calm contribution, you may not have noticed but I was asking a question about WoW, not making a statement. I cannot speak for others but what I think is being got at here is there is nothing to do other than raids. As a big fan of raids myself I do not see that as a huge issue, but clearly it does change the gameplay from one that feels open world to rather closed. As to my own preference it would be for raids and regional pvp to stand side by side as end game content in any MMO.
    My contribution may have been made in anger, due to how your question was phrased. I don't know if you realize, but WoW players have different tiers themselves (unlike FORTNITE PLAYERS). There are those who work on their gear and progress and those who just like the story and overall don't really care that much. The latter players are not accepted to proper content where shit hits the fan.

Tim saying what he did, also had nothing to do with this fact. Your question is completely off-topic to his article.

Raids are not the only thing to do, granted WoW is in a bad place overall right now. Still high difficulty group content is a thing, much like PvP of different types, always gives you the chance to get those rewards. Not to mention other ways to spend your time like pet battles, transmogs, achievements and so on. 

It's an MMO - you choose to engage in the content it offers, unlike fortnite where the only thing you can do is win or lose in a deathmatch.
    I agree there is no comparison between Fortnite and WoW, I am one of the most disparaging posters about Fortnite on here. I thought that came out in my first post. But we have talked about the problems with end game in actual MMOs (FN not being one) on here many times before. Ages since I have played WoW, so I have no idea about many of the things you mentioned, but they did seem to be to be episodic. You are not saying that at top level WoW seems as open world as when you were levelling?

This is one of the reasons I prefer realm versus realm, you retain that feeling of open world, but there are hardly any MMOs which try that route. Regardless of the MMOs set up, top level is always going to be a problem for MMOs it is just how that's handled.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
      wow thats a pretty fast drop off .. Down 37% , I wonder if it actually correlates to people actually playing or just no longer talking about it .. Or maybe somwhere between the 2

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Scorchien said:
      wow thats a pretty fast drop off .. Down 37% , I wonder if it actually correlates to people actually playing or just no longer talking about it .. Or maybe somwhere between the 2

Interesting. That correlates with what I see with my sons. They both Love Fortnite, but get bored of the PvP mode. They like the Playground, but a limit of 4 people ruins it for them. So they have been splitting their time between Fortnite and Minecraft recently. 

I managed to raise 2 gamers only to have them like the games I don't XD
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Scorchien said:

Interesting. That correlates with what I see with my sons. They both Love Fortnite, but get bored of the PvP mode. They like the Playground, but a limit of 4 people ruins it for them. So they have been splitting their time between Fortnite and Minecraft recently. 

I managed to raise 2 gamers only to have them like the games I don't XD
    Same for me. Raised my son on MMORPGS and what does he say his latest game is? 

The Destiny 2 expansion.  I f-d up somewhere I guess.

[Deleted User]esc-joconnor

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    Scot said:
    Rawiz said:
    Scot said:
    Rawiz said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    TimEisen said:
    Let’s get one thing straight here and now, I appreciate the hell out of you guys and respect your post history’s. No need to apologize but doing so speaks to the caliber of forum fighters you are. As far as If FN is a mmorpg, that might be its own column. There’s a lot to unpack there.

For WOW, it was a mmorpg but it’s been a dungeon crawler for years. I dont know what it’s like now but last time I checked the open world devolved into a glorified lobby and you used that lobby to bring up a dungeon finder then loaded out. It’s more Diablo than mmorpg now. Given it’s the best dungeon crawler ever made, Ive had trouble calling it a mmorpg since the first expansion killed the open world.
    Bringing WOW into the conversation probably got all of us lost in the weeds. Doesn’t really matter if Fortnite is a MMO or not, you enjoyed playing it for it’s MMO-like features which are not specific to any particular sub-genre.

I don’t understand the appeal of Fortnite, but in all fairness I rarely comprehend or agree with what is popular with the majority. 
    I presume Tim means at top level WoW is a dungeon finder, you still have to get to top level in open world?

For me you can't ignore the effect Fortnite is and will have on the gaming industry, but for me it is not a good one. Just take the two things I think we can applaud Fortnite for, building and cosmetics only cash shop. Does any of us here think that will be Fortnites legacy, more games with building and cosmetic revenue only F2P games? I think not.
    ???? At top level WoW is definitely NOT a dungeon finder. It actually requires a lot of planning, executing said plans and a lot of people doing them at the same time or everyone dies.

Comparing some faceroll LOOKING FOR RAID content to mythic raids and such is fucking pathetic and shows how out of touch you and Tim are.

Of course, when compared to fortnite, lfr is exactly what you want to use. People have no clue wtf they're doing and it doesn't ever matter unlike high end WoW.
    Thank you for your calm contribution, you may not have noticed but I was asking a question about WoW, not making a statement. I cannot speak for others but what I think is being got at here is there is nothing to do other than raids. As a big fan of raids myself I do not see that as a huge issue, but clearly it does change the gameplay from one that feels open world to rather closed. As to my own preference it would be for raids and regional pvp to stand side by side as end game content in any MMO.

Tim saying what he did, also had nothing to do with this fact. Your question is completely off-topic to his article.

Raids are not the only thing to do, granted WoW is in a bad place overall right now. Still high difficulty group content is a thing, much like PvP of different types, always gives you the chance to get those rewards. Not to mention other ways to spend your time like pet battles, transmogs, achievements and so on. 

It's an MMO - you choose to engage in the content it offers, unlike fortnite where the only thing you can do is win or lose in a deathmatch.
    <snip> Ages since I have played WoW, so I have no idea about many of the things you mentioned, but they did seem to be to be episodic. You are not saying that at top level WoW seems as open world as when you were levelling?<snip>
    As a non-English person I have trouble understanding exactly what you're asking here.

You work your way and then hit max level, then it becomes a gear grind with RNG from D3 in it. This is mostly so Blizzard can keep you subbing while chasing that random carrot. The world dies when you hit max level - you go there to do some world quests, after that you sit around in your main city waiting for dungeons or raids to form.

Is that what you asked or?
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Fortnight, and games like it, are needed, as they show us something new, something we never knew we wanted. 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    Ungood said:
    Fortnight, and games like it, are needed, as they show us something new, something we never knew we wanted. 
    Still don't need it, don't see the same value.

Does keep the riff raff down in steerage where they belong.

;)
    SensaiMadFrenchieOzmodan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• diznikkadiznikka Member UncommonPosts: 13
    This game is like Trix cereal.. its for kids..
    Ozmodan