Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lineage's Success is Mostly Cultural

The original lineage was an enourmous hit in SK, but not so here. The main reason for this was cultural. SK's gaming environment is strongly based around internet/gaming cafes. The same cannot be said for the U.S., which is partially why Lineage never caught on in the states. Lineage 2 will be doomed to a similar fate, although to a much lesser extent (because of hype and incredible graphics). Because our gameplay preferences differ greatly from the Koreans, Lineage 2 will never garner the same amount of fame it has in its homeland. U.S. gamers demand solid single-player gameplay, which is the aspect most lacking in Lineage 2.

Think of it this way, South Koreans play together in public spaces, while U.S. gamers play at home by ourselves. Vastly different settings with vastly different gaming implications. This is not to say that L2 won't be popular in the U.S., it just won't be as popular. It will not mark the MMORPG revolution.

Comments

• DisastormDisastorm Member Posts: 318

lineage2 may not be as popular here as it is in korea, but then again i dont think any game will be as popular here as lineage2 is in korea. I also think i remember reading awhile back though even before lineage2 was released in korea that they were making lineage2 so that not only koreans would like it but the US would as well.

• ParaTrooperParaTrooper Member Posts: 1,961
    No one likes soloing to the highest levels... what the hell r u on about? And i'd say for Lineage when i was playing it the major problem with that was that grouping was really weird and it was acctually easier for me to solo..... have u even played the game?

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
    -----------------------------------------
    ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

• CassandraRCassandraR Member Posts: 29
    I rather enjoy soloing all the time. The problem is its rather hard to solo effectively in most games. :(

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

there are many people who would love to be able to solo all the way to max level.

As for Lineage 2 being a hit in US, I dont think so, it wont be able to compete with WoW, UO:X, and CoH.

its based towards Korean gameplay, although I think WoW will be competing with lineage2 in Korea, since Korea is Blizzards #1 gaming audience, blizzards sells more gaems to korea then to the US.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• SandozSandoz Member Posts: 31

In response to ParaTrooper, I did play the original, and was quite addicted for a month or two, but the interest quickly faded. The quests were few and far between, which meant your choices were to level or PvP. Not much fun in my opinion.

If, however, I was sitting next to 4 of my closest friends in an internet cafe while taking on beasts as a group I probably would have had an entirely different impression. I don't know about you, but I play at home, by myself. I group when I can, but I don't like the process of searching around for an hour just to get a group together. If you go to a cafe with your friends, the group is already formed and you're ready to go. The tough part is already accomplished.

yea ,if you dont pvp Lin2 gets boring, but im going to play it almost entirely for just the pvp.  If you want pvp this is the game to get.  I think for this reason it might do well, alot of people like pvp.
  • Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Lineage is the biggest MMORPG with apx 4 million subscribers

EQ is the biggest in the US with about apx 400K subscribers.

I'm sure NCsoft weeps for there lack of a success in North America.

-=-=-=-=-
    "elimination of <b>any</b> downtime and you don't have a chance to really talk. The result is no one gives a crap who you are. It's so incredibly anti-community building." - Brad McQuid (sigil games, maker of EQ)

A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50%

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

heh... does anyone know how well lineage2 is doing in korea? i havnt been able to find it anywhere, the last i heard they had 300k people but that was only less than a week after the game went retail in korea. by now they probably have millions...
  • KoltraneKoltrane Member UncommonPosts: 1,049
    Does Lineage cost the same (roughly) per month in SK as it does in the US?  It's $15/month here, which is pretty steep compared to other MMOGs.  I wonder if it isn't cheaper in its native country, given that English servers and support probably cost a premium.  It's hard for me to believe that almost 10% of the nation's population have agreed to pay the equivalent of $15/month to play a game that's over 7 years old.

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate. (written on the SW:G CD)

A: 73% E: 73% S: 40% K: 13%

-----

Old timer.

Originally posted by Koltrane
    Does Lineage cost the same (roughly) per month in SK as it does in the US?  It's $15/month here, which is pretty steep compared to other MMOGs.  I wonder if it isn't cheaper in its native country, given that English servers and support probably cost a premium.  It's hard for me to believe that almost 10% of the nation's population have agreed to pay the equivalent of $15/month to play a game that's over 7 years old.

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate. (written on the SW:G CD)
    A: 73% E: 73% S: 40% K: 13%

wow... well according to this article(http://news.com.com/2008-1082-939003.html), the over 4 million koreans pay about 25$ monthly. Wow, over 95% of the koreans have broadband access.

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Yes and no.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is between our currancies. But Yes it cost the same in SK. The differance is people are paying that out of there pocket. The PC bangs are, the masses pay the per-hour use of the PC. I'm not sure how the deals work out exsactly between the bangs and the game makers, or between the bangs and the gamers.

Few in Sk own a home PC.

-=-=-=-=-
    "elimination of <b>any</b> downtime and you don't have a chance to really talk. The result is no one gives a crap who you are. It's so incredibly anti-community building." - Brad McQuid (sigil games, maker of EQ)

Games and players have a type. What type are you? click here learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Yes and no.

I'm not sure what the exchange rate is between our currancies. But Yes it cost the same in SK. The differance is people are paying that out of there pocket. The PC bangs are, the masses pay the per-hour use of the PC. I'm not sure how the deals work out exsactly between the bangs and the game makers, or between the bangs and the gamers.

Few in Sk own a home PC.

-=-=-=-=-

as i said in the post right before yours, the price is 25$ in korea, not the same.

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

BUt he was also explaining that almost nobody in korea has a PC, they all have to goto internet cafes

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

Originally posted by Munki

BUt he was also explaining that almost nobody in korea has a PC, they all have to goto internet cafes

i know, im not argueing with that.