Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression

2»

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    I think you just dislike those "certain games".  For some game the journey really started at max level.  The leveling phase is just an extended tutorial.
    AAAMEOW said:
    Why does it matter.   All the games I played I have a few thousands playing hours.  I don't quit after I reached max level.

I presume from your post you are the type that need a level up bar to continue playing.

I played korean grinders with unreachable level cap.   The problem is the level gap between players get too large.  That is why themepark games have easy to reach max level.  So everyone is relatively the same power level.

I understand you hate wow, and almost every post talk about how bad wow is and other theme park game is... But the whole reason for easy to reach level cap is people need to be at the same power level to do dungeon and pvp together.  But of crouse you won't understand the concept.  Because most likely you quit the game after reaching max level.
    Who said I hate WoW or themeparks?  
    I think I got a warning for my post and got a "mild tag".  If you don't dislike themepark game why referencing UO or EQ style of game as "seemly" good as "journey", and calling people playing themepark game only playing for the destination.

I don't think I quit games after reaching max level. Infact the journey part never stopped after reaching max level.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AAAMEOW said:
    I think you just dislike those "certain games".  For some game the journey really started at max level.  The leveling phase is just an extended tutorial.
    Of course, we all have preferences.  I find the extended tutorial unnecessary, wasteful, divisive and lore destroying.
    AAAMEOW said:
    Of course, we all have preferences.  I find the extended tutorial unnecessary, wasteful, divisive and lore destroying.
    Which is precisely my point.  You make post saying "big reason why community is getting worse".  

To me the community is not getting worse.  You simply don't enjoy the game.  You most likely didn't get far in the game.  I dont' go around saying Darkfall don't have a community because I walked out of town, getted ganked, and rage quit.  I simply don't enjoy getting ganked.  I dont' even know if there is a community because I only invested 30 or so hours.

I don't know why my response to you is offensive and deserve a warning.  I found more offense that most post on this forum are from sandbox gamer or old time gamer who attack themepark or new games.  "Big reason why community is getting worse?"  I'm the one finding it offensive.  I enjoy the community in themepark games and newer games.  I find the community in newer games are better.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    If we look at journey as leveling and the destination as endgame I prefer the destination over the journey. I'm tired of leveling, its a journey I have done to death and I simply want the journey to end as quickly as possible.

Its really the same with gear, gear is a way to do the content I want to play and I will obsessively collect BiS gear but its just because I want to maximize my character when doing the hardest content.

When it comes to beating hard stuff, the journey is the work you do to learn the fight properly, the destination is when you finally manage to beat it. The energy release when you succeed after lots of failures is an absolutely sensational feeling so the destination is more satisfying than the journey.

If we look at bartles taxonomy of players I'm a social achiever with focus on the latter. I never cared for exploration in my games and I'm far too much of a nice person to be a killer.
    VestigeGamer
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Which is precisely my point.  You make post saying "big reason why community is getting worse".  

To me the community is not getting worse.  You simply don't enjoy the game.  You most likely didn't get far in the game.  I dont' go around saying Darkfall don't have a community because I walked out of town, getted ganked, and rage quit.  I simply don't enjoy getting ganked.  I dont' even know if there is a community because I only invested 30 or so hours.

I don't know why my response to you is offensive and deserve a warning.  I found more offense that most post on this forum are from sandbox gamer or old time gamer who attack themepark or new games.  "Big reason why community is getting worse?"  I'm the one finding it offensive.  I enjoy the community in themepark games and newer games.  I find the community in newer games are better.
    You are allowed your opinion but the real TRUTH is that community varies game to game,you can't just sum it all into one.
    I know from my initial gaming experiences playing mmorpg's ,there was only ONE "FFXI" that had imo a very mature and helping community.

It did change over time,i guess that is expected early on people don't know so are kind to each other but as soon as they think they are in the know they are Mr.Big Shot.What i saw in the other big games was actually very annoying and often times very childish and that was during those games infancy when i wouldn't expect it.
    So there is perhaps a bigger topic there,was the game design,the developer the responsible ones for enticing such an immature crowd,well i have stated it as such several times as YES.PVP is just one area the dev makes the mistake to creating a worse community but there are other reasons like server FIRST,rankings, etc etc,you know stuff to BRAG about usually does not sit well with others.Stuff like OUR guild has killed all the top RAID bosses,well good for you,what have you done for the community besides pat yourselves on the back,yeah exactly...nothing.

Ever hear of the DUNES parties in FFXI,i used to be one of the few that would hangout there just to help those that couldn't find a party or needed help early game.Gamers now a days ,see a big yellow ! or ? over an npc,vee line for it and start the linear progression of soloing and not helping anyone but themselves.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Why does it matter.   All the games I played I have a few thousands playing hours.  I don't quit after I reached max level.

I presume from your post you are the type that need a level up bar to continue playing.

I played korean grinders with unreachable level cap.   The problem is the level gap between players get too large.  That is why themepark games have easy to reach max level.  So everyone is relatively the same power level.

I understand you hate wow, and almost every post talk about how bad wow is and other theme park game is... But the whole reason for easy to reach level cap is people need to be at the same power level to do dungeon and pvp together.  But of crouse you won't understand the concept.  Because most likely you quit the game after reaching max level.
    Who said I hate WoW or themeparks?  
    I think I got a warning for my post and got a "mild tag".  If you don't dislike themepark game why referencing UO or EQ style of game as "seemly" good as "journey", and calling people playing themepark game only playing for the destination.

I don't think I quit games after reaching max level. Infact the journey part never stopped after reaching max level.
    No clue about a warning. I report nothing.

Yes but it doesn't state anything about hate.  WoW is one of my favorite overall MMORPG.  I just hated the trend and bad clones.  
    edited October 2018
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:

Again, it is opinion.  You can disagree.  I think there is a general consensus that the genre fosters solo play and playing unaffected by others.  

To be fair...  I would say the community is worst by the standard of impact it has on gameplay.  You can play a game like WoW and never talk level 1-200 million.  You will barely have a time someone around you affecting you.

I am not claiming the people were better as some do. There were always asses and trolls.  
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    What is more important to you?  How you level or the end result of you level?  Journey vs. Destination.

I would say both are about equal to me.  I can't play MMO where the leveling is boring test to see if I deserve in game.  On the other hand I like to flesh out my character horizontal or progressive leveling into something I like to play.  
    Without a destination, why journey? I am not much of an endgame player, but wish that there were better ways to use all that character building I went through other than raiding/hard-mode dungeons. In an MMO game, the paths are quite limited.

VG