Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Map voting announced

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Kyleran said:

from discord:

Caspian09/29/2018 OK. RE: Map voting. Official rules will be posted when it's ready. That said, we've locked in the rules, etc. and are very happy with where it is now, as it's simple, straight forward, and logical.

1. Your votes are weighted by influence, divided by your total number of votes. So if you vote once, it's worth 100% of your influence. If you vote twice, each vote is worth 50%, etc. The more you vote, the less each vote is worth.
    2. Voting will be done in a couple rounds. Round 1 will be all the servers except OCE voting on a pool of 20 maps to determine which 5 maps will be voted on for their server.
    3. Round two will be all servers, and will be for each server to decide which map they want of the 5 available.

That's it. Simple. At the end of Round 2, each server will know which map will be theirs. Note that round 1 is open results. So you'll be able to see how each map is fairing on each server. Round 2 is closed results, and the results of the vote won't be shown until the round ends.

As for people who received a package during searing plague but have no influence, you can vote, but if you truly have 0 influence the vote won't count for much, if anything. Sorry, but that's the way it is. You get to play the game, and have all the benefits of being able to play, but with no influence, your vote doesn't count for much. there is rounds

You may want to go back and read the OP....

But since we we are just reposting it... let’s be complete:
    Caspian09/29/2018

There's plenty of questions that can arise from what I just said, but in all cases, the answer should be what you expect. For example: Q. Doesn't that mean people with 10,000 influence are weighted 10x as much as someone with just 1,000 influence? A. Yes.

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/476649/map-voting-announced#qgIY8L6HGWvwJtU1.99

And of course we know that there are people with far more than 10,000 influence...
    Well, we might know who has more than 10K influence,  but they took the chart down from the web site at some point "in the interest of a more level playing field"

ROFL, that ship sailed long ago.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/influence

"As we move toward settlement / domain selection, and in the interest of a more even playing field, we have decided to remove the influence charts from the website, though influence is still being earned for your influential activities."

How does removing the influence charts from the website make it a "more even playing field"? Balanced through obscurity? Do they think their backers are idiots? The perception of balance does not make it so. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:

...  but they took the chart down from the web site at some point "in the interest of a more level playing field"

More likely that info is now hidden from the general player base so that it doesn't discourage potential new players from joining the funding pool.

Some people may be put off when they realize just how far they are outclassed by the serious spenders, and SBS would probably rather avoid that possibility... ;)
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Well we know that the Tier 12 Kings have at least 100,000 influence.   I wonder how much the double King has?  And he’s not even the most influential from what I understand.

Every vote counts!  It’s just that some votes may count for 1000 times yours...

LOL

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

You get 10 points per dollar spent.  So your average guy who just buys the game has 400.  A King has a minimum of 100,000 points.  Some kings have double kingdoms (200,000) and I believe that at least 1 king has over 400,000 influence.

KyleranWellspring

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NeutralEvilNeutralEvil Member UncommonPosts: 108
    So about those maps...

If most don't already know on here, it's not just about what the maps look like. Each kingdom will have a vast majority of their land comprised of 1-2 biomes and thus 1-2 tribes of Mann mainly inside their borders

I wonder how this will pit the kingdoms against one another, surely knowing their place already in order to pick which kingdom is theirs, for how they vote?
    But I think this just speaks to the unorganized way the game is being developed.  They have had people joining these kingdoms, buying tokens at $10 a pop and giving them to the leaders of their towns and counties... these people want to play as a certain tribe (race) because that’s what the group advertised.

So so how do you think people will react when they find out that their whole organization based around tribe X now will be in a biome of the opposite type and populated by tribe A and B?

Leader:Well I know we all planned to play as Brudvir and live in the cold Alpine forests, but all that is left for us is some land in the desert so I guess we can all just change our race to be Waerd.   It just that the King of XYZ was allowed to buy a double Kingdom so his votes counted 2000 times what yours did and even three times what our king’s vote did so he picked a map that forced us into the desert...  Sure they can still play as Brudvir but being in an opposite biome will put them at a huge disadvantage.

And before you backtrack and now try to downplay exactly what you said...  either the choices have significance to your play or they don’t.  If they do, and if players (not characters) get screwed because someone else bought more advantages...   then that sucks.  And if they don’t have significance then this voting is a pointless waste of time.

Anyone promising potential plebs that they will be in biome X with tribe A is either more of a fool than those potential plebs, or is just down right dishonest. Excluding of course anyone who has donated $1m and is most certainly getting first pick

My point to the kingdoms being pit against one another is because they each probably know what the other wants. Also there are alliances to consider. If there are maps with large bodies of water between two potential allies' biomes or other natural barriers then that could influence how they vote

Also if everyone is to gang up on the whale of whales, perhaps with them all knowing what biome/tribes he/she wants, that they all vote together giving said whale of whales the most disadvantageous map for the biome they want
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kyleran said:
    "As we move toward settlement / domain selection, and in the interest of a more even playing field, we have decided to remove the influence charts from the website, though influence is still being earned for your influential activities."

How does removing the influence charts from the website make it a "more even playing field"? Balanced through obscurity?

Do they think their backers are idiots? 
    Actually evidence so far supports such a belief, for the most part everything to date has been accepted by the ivory tower almost without challenge.  

Of course serious challenge results in insults, dismissiveness, and outright censure...and that's just from the Soulbound devs, fans can be worse. 

;)

NeutralEvilWellspringSlapshot1188Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Not sure how well well this is going to post from my phone, but here goes...

This is the top 50 and bottom 950-1000 most influencial people from the chart. Taken from August 7 2017, which I believe is the most recent data available before they took the chart down. 

NeutralEvilSlapshot1188Kyleran
    --------------------------------------------
    Does the map voting set the stage for possible future decisions regarding game play ?

I guess the peasants are all happy in the knowledge that their lords will be dictating more than just the rules of the kingdom...
    Not sure how well well this is going to post from my phone, but here goes...

This is the top 50 and bottom 950-1000 most influencial people from the chart. Taken from August 7 2017, which I believe is the most recent data available before they took the chart down. 

Thanks!  I remembered that someone was over 400k... and Adam has over 200k as he has 2 Kingdoms (#13 and 14).  So "GhettoMaster" (awesome name for a King right?) has literally 1000 times the vote of someone that just bought a basic account and get 400 Influence (and probably much more since last year).

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Actually, the Influence charts were taken down to prevent the players from trying to solidify their positions in the pecking order of choosing their domains. In addition to playing the system in regard to reserving half of the seats in their chosen regions by only reserving for their low influence supporters and leaving the high influence to choose first. 

In all truth from what was transpiring at that time, it would have been far more beneficial for SBS to leave the charts up as players were constantly purchasing more in order to increase their influence in the attempt to secure their position in domain selection. 
    NeutralEvilLokero
    edited October 2018

You get 10 points per dollar spent.  So your average guy who just buys the game has 400.  A King has a minimum of 100,000 points.  Some kings have double kingdoms (200,000) and I believe that at least 1 king has over 400,000 influence.

So, looking at the chart shared from over a year ago there was well over 1000 higher tier backers with more than 10 times the voting power of the average joe.

With roughly 1.5M additional funds raised since then x 10 means 15M more influence points have been added to that chart, most likely to many of the folks on the old top 1K list.

Really not surprising they took it down, actually quite a contradiction to either of your arguments

"either the choices have significance to your play or they don’t.  If they do, and if players (not characters) get screwed because someone else bought more advantages...   then that sucks.  And if they don’t have significance then this voting is a pointless waste of time."
    Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

In all truth from what was transpiring at that time, it would have been far more beneficial for SBS to leave the charts up as players were constantly purchasing more in order to increase their influence in the attempt to secure their position in domain selection. 
    No, knowing exactly where you stand means you'll only spend if you see your position being challenged.

Not knowing where you stand means that unless you spend pre-emptively, someone may pass you, but you have no way of knowing. So the only way to be sure of your relative status is to spend a LOT more ! :wink:
    KyleranSlapshot1188
    Still... does nobody see the utter irony that "GhettoMaster" is the guy who is picking the map and will be in control of a vast swath of the world?  Is his the Kingdom of Slumlordville?  Is his capital city PesantsHallow?

Gdemami

Actually, the Influence charts were taken down to prevent the players from trying to solidify their positions in the pecking order of choosing their domains. In addition to playing the system in regard to reserving half of the seats in their chosen regions by only reserving for their low influence supporters and leaving the high influence to choose first. 

See, if a dev is going to go down the P2W route it is better to fully embrace it and not try to maintain any sort of pretense of fairness.

Caspian is almost at that point evidenced by his direct admission that 10K player as a 10 times voting advantage over a 1K backer.

More honest would be saying a 400K backer has 400 times advantage over a 1K backer.

Also notable perhaps several thousand backers have at least a 2 to 1 advantage over the "average joe."

Publishing a more complete list of every backer with more than 400 influence would be the better way to go.

No, knowing exactly where you stand means you'll only spend if you see your position being challenged.

Not knowing where you stand means that unless you spend pre-emptively, someone may pass you, but you have no way of knowing. So the only way to be sure of your relative status is to spend a LOT more ! :wink:
    There is always more than one way of looking at things, in regard to the influence charts, the reasoning for them being taken down was to try to prevent the "bidding wars" that were transpiring at the time. Nothing more, nothing less. 
    Slapshot1188KyleranNeutralEvil
    Kyleran said:

See, if a dev is going to go down the P2W route it is better to fully embrace it and not try to maintain any sort of pretense of fairness.

Caspian is almost at that point evidenced by his direct admission that 10K player as a 10 times voting advantage over a 1K backer.

More honest would be saying a 400K backer has 400 times advantage over a 1K backer.

Also notable perhaps several thousand backers have at least a 2 to 1 advantage over the "average joe."

Publishing a more complete list of every backer with more than 400 influence would be the better way to go.

The real honest way is to say that the highest backer has literally 1000 times the vote power of someone that just bought the starter package. In a game that will have maybe 6000 people voting on a particular server's map...

Kyleran

Kyleran said:

The real honest way is to say that the highest backer has literally 1000 times the vote power of someone that just bought the starter package. In a game that will have maybe 6000 people voting on a particular server's map...

Or even more simply...."most of you don't need to bother to vote."

Slapshot1188Gdemami

There is always more than one way of looking at things, in regard to the influence charts, the reasoning for them being taken down was to try to prevent the "bidding wars" that were transpiring at the time. Nothing more, nothing less. 
    Do you really believe that hiding the numbers would stop the competition ?

Everyone just accepted their position in the rankings, and stopped trying to out-spend each other ?

Riiiiight....
    Kyleran

Do you really believe that hiding the numbers would stop the competition ?

Everyone just accepted their position in the rankings, and stopped trying to out-spend each other ?

Riiiiight....
    Or that a studio desperate for cash and having to lay off some staff would really try to discourage folks from spending money...

WellspringGdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    edited October 2018
    The whole removal of the IP charts could be argued so many different ways. But not many were really in bidding wars. More so since account merges had not even happened. So many people had second/third etc accounts, simply so people couldn't track their IP. So many counts/dukes have more than one title as well. There is rumours of a count on NA that has something like 12 counties, but surely that can't be true.

As someone that when I did care about my picking order. I would rather having the list. I knew most of the other counts forum names. So knew mostly where I would land. Can't account for randoms naturally. While I also mostly knew who was above me, as in, what title they held. Plus what server they were from. So the list was small, to who I was even bidding against. Most people were open about how much they would spend, within the community I was apart of at least.

Now being blind, people will if anything throw more money. But the outcome was the same anyway, it's like an ebay auction. While some may bid at the start. It's the people bidding at the last second you have to worry about. The same would have been with the IP. If SBS plays it smart and locks it down a week before domain selection start. You just have everyone upping their IP at the last moment. So having the list, not having the list. Stops nothing. Bidding wars will still happen. 

@Slapshot1188 Just so you know, Ghettomaster is a duke. A double duchy though, so if he brought kingship but didn't want it, no idea  There has been jokes around him for awhile. That everything in his duchy will be made out of gold. 

The most up to date influence is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19bAG7DGod83W4EUSXu8c8av73mMoJG4MrKuURMjyMyE/edit#gid=503051774

Always a good document since you can see all the servers/kingdom make up. Like how on NAE, you have Vornair. Full of the super rich.

Post edited by Torrsk on
    Gdemami
    Taken from Discord:

Caspian Yesterday at 8:09 PM

The geopolitical boundaries and relationships between the different domains is extremely important for the conflicts and engagements that will happen after launch. The kings, dukes, and counts that must manage those domains and settle those conflicts should naturally have the most say on what their borders look like.

But we didn't want to limit the vote to just the nobility and aristocracy, so more generally basing on influence allows us to achieve the previous goal while more broadly allowing influential people to have a say.

And finally, we've given out well over 100,000 in influence to people for community participation, managing our wiki, moderating reddit, participating in the forums, etc. So its important to remember purchasing isn't the only way people have gotten influence.

WellspringTorrsk
    edited October 2018
    Torrsk said:
    The whole removal of the IP charts could be argued so many different ways. But not many were really in bidding wars. More so since account merges had not even happened. So many people had second/third etc accounts, simply so people couldn't track their IP. So many counts/dukes have more than one title as well. There is rumours of a count on NA that has something like 12 counties, but surely that can't be true.

As someone that when I did care about my picking order. I would rather having the list. I knew most of the other counts forum names. So knew mostly where I would land. Can't account for randoms naturally. While I also mostly knew who was above me, as in, what title they held. Plus what server they were from. So the list was small, to who I was even bidding against. Most people were open about how much they would spend, within the community I was apart of at least.

Now being blind, people will if anything throw more money. But the outcome was the same anyway, it's like an ebay auction. While some may bid at the start. It's the people bidding at the last second you have to worry about. The same would have been with the IP. If SBS plays it smart and locks it down a week before domain selection start. You just have everyone upping their IP at the last moment. So having the list, not having the list. Stops nothing. Bidding wars will still happen. 

@Slapshot1188 Just so you know, Ghettomaster is a duke. A double duchy though, so if he brought kingship but didn't want it, no idea  There has been jokes around him for awhile. That everything in his duchy will be made out of gold. 

The most up to date influence is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19bAG7DGod83W4EUSXu8c8av73mMoJG4MrKuURMjyMyE/edit#gid=503051774

Always a good document since you can see all the servers/kingdom make up. Like how on NAE, you have Vornair. Full of the super rich.

I noticed Deleatherus shows the same value, 153,400 influence on the linked spreadsheet vs. the chart from the forums back in Aug 2017.

So he either totally ceased buying anything or the spreadsheet is using Aug 2017 data as its source.

It does provide an interesting breakdown of how influence was distributed at the time though. 

Unfortunately, likely about 15M more influence has been added to the tallies since then

One other thing I noted, Caspian show up on the spreadsheet with 5M influence. So he could potentially override any vote on the NA-W server should he choose to do so?  (Just asking as I don't know.)

Taken from Discord:

Caspian Yesterday at 8:09 PM

The geopolitical boundaries and relationships between the different domains is extremely important for the conflicts and engagements that will happen after launch. The kings, dukes, and counts that must manage those domains and settle those conflicts should naturally have the most say on what their borders look like.

But we didn't want to limit the vote to just the nobility and aristocracy, so more generally basing on influence allows us to achieve the previous goal while more broadly allowing influential people to have a say.

And finally, we've given out well over 100,000 in influence to people for community participation, managing our wiki, moderating reddit, participating in the forums, etc. So its important to remember purchasing isn't the only way people have gotten influence.

Wow... well over 100k... to 20,000 players.  That's like.. 5 per person! 

Those 5 points are really going to make a difference vs "Ghettomaster's" 400,000 he personally has... and by now maybe it's 500k or more...

The more you try to explain this the clearer it makes the fiasco.

KyleranGdemami

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ghettomaster? Whahahaha. Ghettomaster......

Here you are, all into your serious RPing like its nobodies business but your lord is called Ghettomaster!??!! Can't wait till xXxSephirothxXx spends even more in the shop...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerus
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

So, out of about 48M influence paid for with cash they've given out 100K for free.

Whoo hoo.....talk about throwing a thimble full of water at a forest fire.

It's clear this event is meant to be important and heavily weighted to favor the whales.

Good to see Caspian continuing to own up to the P2W aspect of this event rather than dismissing concerns as being not important 

;)
    Gdemami