Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YooZoo Games Collaborates with HBO for a Browser-Based Game of Thrones Title - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageYooZoo Games Collaborates with HBO for a Browser-Based Game of Thrones Title - MMORPG.com News

YooZoo Games has announced that it has entered into a collaborative agreement with HBO to bring an officially licensed version of Game of Thrones to browsers everywhere sometime in 2019. YooZoo Games is best known for the League of Angels series of browser MMOs.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    League of Thrones?
    SBFord
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Oh Boy....
    SBFordXarkoLeFantome
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    "From the team that brought you league of angels" is not exactly a hype inducing phrase
    XingbairongAlomarAsm0deusLeFantomePhryOzmodanmikeb0817Samhael

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    Agreement with HBO? I would think that GRRM would have to agree to it as well and be getting a piece of the pie, though maybe we are all better off if other entities own some of the rights. GRRM isn't getting any younger and I'm STILL waiting for Winds of Winter.
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

itchmon said:

"From the team that brought you league of angels" is not exactly a hype inducing phrase

So true. Literally the opposite effect at least for me.
    Btw any idea what this is going to be? I think that Game of Thrones really suit the Heroes of MIght and Magic genre.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Browser based. :-( I was hoping for something a little more deep like a LotRO type of game with updated graphics.
    Asm0deusceratop001PhryOzmodan

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Browser based. :-( I was hoping for something a little more deep like a LotRO type of game with updated graphics.
    They've just "reached an agreement" and the proposed launch date is 2019, so they obviously intend to knock this one out in record time.

Probably a re-skin of League of Angels with a few GoT references grafted on.

The "sign-up rewards" should give you a clue of where this is headed...
    Octagon7711itchmonOzmodanmikeb0817
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Incoming Game of CashShop
    [Deleted User]ScotPhryOzmodanNilden
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    You're only eligible for the sign up rewards after you invite three players to pre-register. Isn't that the definition of a pyramid scheme?
    XarkoSBFordPhryitchmonetlarSamhael
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited October 2018
    "The game is on"

Nuh, now it ends...
  • seratinseratin Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited October 2018

So true. Literally the opposite effect at least for me.

Btw any idea what this is going to be? I think that Game of Thrones really suit the Heroes of MIght and Magic genre.

It would probably also work pretty well as something like The Witcher.
    Octagon7711
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Gross

Joined - July 2004

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I say let winter have this...
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Okay, so...when do we get "The officially licensed non-browser" game? So much potential in this IP and it has been utterly wasted or untapped thus far, doesn't appear to be changing with this.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    LORD NO,we don't need anymore lousy games trying to cash in on TV series or movie IP's.
    Games SHOULD be able to stand on their own two feet without sales gimmicks.
    Browser game,haha even cheaper yet,they will pay more money to license the IP than on the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    You mean that the company is going to actually license something legally, rather than just pirating whatever they want?
    Nilden
  • Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290
    It amazes me that the most popular brand in television and the "Lord of the Rings" of a new generation, sells it's brandname to all kinds of "b"class amateurs in the videogame space, almost like a junky prostitute sells its body for a few dollars to every second rate john, with no care at all about it's reputation.

It's sad really, because the result is that at one point no one will take the idea of "A game of thrones" videogame seriously, and because of that, no serious videogame company will ever contemplate to make a "game of thrones" videogame. And in theory, a well excecuted GoT game could actually be great (just like we have seen well excecuted Star Wars games and LOTR games).
    RexKushmanitchmon
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    My prediction, It's going to be less thrones and tons of boobs. I wonder where I got that impression.
    itchmon
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I'm actually surprised about this. Sad news for a great TV show.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    The Cash Shop is Coming.

We can have pages of delight with this. :)
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Looking forward to the titillating ads. The game, not so much.
    Scot
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Iselin said:
    Looking forward to the titillating ads. The game, not so much.
    So you're saying that this game will be like the Super Bowl?
    IselinWellspringAlomar
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    What a Waste, with the right team, just money waiting for the taking from us players gives us a great mmo on Game of Thrones.
    Alomar
    This feels like a last-minute cash grab, seeing as the series comes to an end in 2019.

This game will be the only "official" way to get a "GoT fix" after the final season runs next year.

The monetization will probably be brutal, I doubt the license was cheap, and with the TV series ending, the window of opportunity to exploit its popularity will rapidly close.
    Alomar
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Browser based cash shop heavy pay to progress type of game, i seriously doubt that they are going to put any kind of real effort into making a game, just relying on the 'name' to sell the game and undoubtedly whatever rubbish is in the cash shop that you absolutely have to buy in order to play the game. It will probably be a Game of War, Lords Mobile type of game.  :/