Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriott's Official Shroud of the Avatar Description Eliminates 'CEO' Title

2»

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    edited October 2018
    Technical Director, Chris Spears does not approve of this article.  He's blowing up on Facebook.

I got news for that guy Pissy Chrissy. Fixing bugs, shipping a product you already sold, adding new systems, announcing episode 2 and rising reviews are not news at all. Everything but the last one is just what you do making a video game. Sounds entitled as all hell. What a man baby.

MMORPG.com has given this game way more coverage than it should have and a lot of it much more flattering than what I would have. Seeing this it's pretty obvious the guy doesn't even read this site.

Edit: So it shall be!

Post edited by Nilden on
    SBFordHobbitsWonTheWarJamesGoblin[Deleted User]cover2xy

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• digriz602digriz602 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited October 2018
    His professionalism leaves a lot to be desired.
    SBFordJamesGoblinLeFantomeIce-Queencover2xy
  • VladamirBegemotVladamirBegemot Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Blah blah blah, he's right, Port puts out tons of updates, the game is leaps and bounds above what it was 6 months ago. But what gets picked up here lately is some reddit tin foil hat trolling.

Make no mistake, this whole article originated on reddit by a guy who just constantly tries to stir shit up.

But since that's 3/4 of what MMORPG covers anymore (recent articles: a half hour server rollback, layoffs, this, and dungeons. So only 1/4 of the articles had any meaningful reporting about the game).

I guess we should thank the reddit trolls for stirring the pot up so MMORPG will at least put out some coverage.

Maybe this website just doesn't have the staff to cover anything but click-bait anymore.
    HobbitsWonTheWarJamesGoblinLeFantome
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    He’s right, but that’s journalism for ya. It’s only news worthy if people will react and people only react to the negative stuff anymore. I barely come here anymore because nothing I get is actually the news I want to hear. I don’t care who is ceo, cfo or pms I want to read about updates, progress, brand new mmos, indie games. 

Who’s the real pissy people? The players are getting more pissy by the day. 
    VladamirBegemotKyleranIselinJamesGoblin
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Maybe the next article can be on the hyped episode 2 content that was promised for episode 1 and paid for with Kickstarter funding in 2013.  Or the physical Kickstarter rewards that still haven't been created, much less delivered even though they were paid for in 2013.  Or maybe an article on the bugs that have been in game since before persistence in 2016 began and still haven't been fixed.
    JamesGoblinHobbitsWonTheWar[Deleted User]Ice-Queen
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Technical Director, Chris Spears does not approve of this article.  He's blowing up on Facebook.

Not sure what his problem is.  The MMORPG.com article here merely corrects the rumor's implication to show that RG still holds a director position with the company.

I don't get where MMORPG.com is spreading negativity about SotA here.
    KyleranSBFordHobbitsWonTheWarJamesGoblin

Not sure what his problem is.  The MMORPG.com article here merely corrects the rumor's implication to show that RG still holds a director position with the company.

I believe the point is "There have been huge numbers of news worthy items in the game, and the only thing they pick up is a troll rumor from reddit."
    HobbitsWonTheWarLeFantomeJamesGoblin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

I believe the point is "There have been huge numbers of news worthy items in the game, and the only thing they pick up is a troll rumor from reddit."
    Is it?

https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm/read/49465/ismb/1/shroud-of-the-avatar-player-made-dungeons-to-debut-in-q4-2018.html

That was the last article MMORPG.com ran prior to this one squashing a rumor for your favorite developer.
    JamesGoblinHobbitsWonTheWar[Deleted User]

The game development staff continuing to do their fucking job is not news. They want a pat on the back for that then my advice would be to hire better public relations staff. Now a change in the lead guys official title is news, not very interesting news granted but it's news none the less. What's also news to me is that this game has a free trial. Which I was seriously considering trying out, at least until I saw what a crybaby jerk one of the game leads seems to be. 

Massive fishing additions is news. Players already building 1000 point dungeons is news. Huge QOL improvements is news. And these would be carried in a lot of other games, if WoW makes a move that players are calling for, it's news.

Is it?

https://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/news.cfm/read/49465/ismb/1/shroud-of-the-avatar-player-made-dungeons-to-debut-in-q4-2018.html

That was the last article MMORPG.com ran prior to this one squashing a rumor for your favorite developer.

I mentioned that one. That's why 1/4, as I said, of the last four, was actual news instead of the guys over at raw spilling over into the real world.
    HobbitsWonTheWarcover2xy
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm sensing "fake news" babies crying over coverage they don't like.  We actually get to pick and choose what we read.  You don't like an article, come up with your own rebuttal article.  It's not the MMORPG staff's job to kiss butt of your favorite game.  They have the privilege of writing the articles they want and you have the privilege of not reading them.

If you want someone to blame, it's the PR machine at Portal, they aren't pushing out their updates and other vital information to the public.
    SBFord[Deleted User][Deleted User]cover2xy

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    I would like someone in the media to contact Tracy Hickman and get the scoop on the novels that are still owed.
    JamesGoblinLeFantome[Deleted User]Ice-Queencover2xy
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    I could write a book about all of the Portalarium's lies and f***-ups noone wrote an article about; instead I'll just quote a guy from reddit; While still a rather short selection, it is a kind of "translation" (of Chrissy's meltdown) to reality, all these unwritten stories:

We still have thousands of bugs, quest and scenes to fix. No story.

Our combat, PvP and story still sucks, we wasted money for advertising but people don't stay. No story.

We beg for more money for episode 2 that is much smaller than we promised and is already 4 years late. No story.

There is still not a single positive review from a professional journalist or any interest from decents mags and websites, so we had to ask in the forum to write positive steam reviews and hype no-name youtubers. No story.

Our CEO prepared for and visited the North Pole during crucial release. No story.

Our COO left without a trace, and our supposed lead writer tracy Hickman is still MIA. No story.
    (source - https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar_raw/comments/9ntki5/poor_chris_spears_is_angry_that_mmorpg_isnt/)

For example, the devs (it was Starr Long IIRC) virtually asked people to go on Steam and write positive reviews, then tried to delete that thread and remove traces - but it is waybacked (a copy was saved).
    LeFantomeHobbitsWonTheWarNildenIce-Queen
     W...aaagh?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2018

The game development staff continuing to do their fucking job is not news. They want a pat on the back for that then my advice would be to hire better public relations staff. Now a change in the lead guys official title is news, not very interesting news granted but it's news none the less. What's also news to me is that this game has a free trial. Which I was seriously considering trying out, at least until I saw what a crybaby jerk one of the game leads seems to be. 

Massive fishing additions is news. Players already building 1000 point dungeons is news. Huge QOL improvements is news. And these would be carried in a lot of other games, if WoW makes a move that players are calling for, it's news.

Is it?

I mentioned that one. That's why 1/4, as I said, of the last four, was actual news instead of the guys over at raw spilling over into the real world.
    Does Portalarium actually push these news items to MMORPG.com? It's been my experience they will publish most press releases sent their way.

I note in the August story you say was a good one it appears they had to deliberately visit the SotA web site to learn of it.

"The latest Shroud of the Avatar newsletter is live on the game's official site."

Marketing is a real profession, perhaps they could hire someone actually good at it?

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Sounds like a move to try to limit liability as much as possible for when the game bellies up in the near future...
    JamesGoblinLeFantomeIce-Queen
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    He’s right, but that’s journalism for ya. It’s only news worthy if people will react and people only react to the negative stuff anymore. I barely come here anymore because nothing I get is actually the news I want to hear. I don’t care who is ceo, cfo or pms I want to read about updates, progress, brand new mmos, indie games. 

Who’s the real pissy people? The players are getting more pissy by the day. 
    No he's not right. Every single little thing about SOTA gets reported here.

How we react to it, what we choose to ignore or comment on, praise or bash has nothing to do with the mostly neutral or mildly praising reporting that the staff here do about this sad little MMO.

KyleranSBFordHobbitsWonTheWar[Deleted User]cover2xy
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    "All is well"
    Very good, much wow!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    KyleranNilden[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

klash2def said:
    Just curious.. where is this magical market for an Old School MMO that people here keep talking about?

SotA is not an MMO, in fact it isn't even a game but rather an alpha test duct-taped and prematurely launched for purely financial reasons; Not that I am saying that "magical market" exists, just clarifying the genre of "the game".

I like you James, I like you.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinHobbitsWonTheWarLeFantome[Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Blah blah blah, he's right, Port puts out tons of updates, the game is leaps and bounds above what it was 6 months ago. But what gets picked up here lately is some reddit tin foil hat trolling.

Make no mistake, this whole article originated on reddit by a guy who just constantly tries to stir shit up.

But since that's 3/4 of what MMORPG covers anymore (recent articles: a half hour server rollback, layoffs, this, and dungeons. So only 1/4 of the articles had any meaningful reporting about the game).

I guess we should thank the reddit trolls for stirring the pot up so MMORPG will at least put out some coverage.

Maybe this website just doesn't have the staff to cover anything but click-bait anymore.

I hear ya man, Crapalarium is not making enough money , they fired half of the team and now they getting ready for the end.
    How is that stretch goal for episode 2 doing ? https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=40715
    50K in 2 months, right?

Begathon? 30K so far? Instead of 70-80K ..
    Did you see it coming when they fired all those people? What about Dallas..he quit without a word either.
    But if 1+1+1= 5864255 for you..suit yourself.
    I'm not a mathematician but when I look at the numbers, I can tell, they are in debt , broke and planning the sell out.

So, your blah blah blah is blend as your comment. Whatever you said, you never had a link to prove your words. None what so ever. Don't blame MMORPG for the failure of M. Wanna be British , anywhere on internet people are explaining why the game is bad. But not on the official forum..well, you can try but your thread will be lock in a few hours or the white knights are going to bash.

As of M. wanna be tech lord Spears, nobody forced him to read the article.
    JamesGoblinHobbitsWonTheWar

• blur13blur13 Member UncommonPosts: 15
    How is Portalarium focused on 'Episode 2' when, by its own omission, it has to remove, and completely remake, the quest system in 'Episode 1'? This is a MAJOR undertaking and, after sacking half the studio a couple of months back, you have to wonder how it will even be competently done, let alone working on 'Episode 2' when the first episode took 5 years to make, and they still messed it up?!?
    HobbitsWonTheWarJamesGoblin[Deleted User]