Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG Expectations?

VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
What do you "expect" when you launch an MMORPG?

I got to thinking after reading this:
SWG was a simulation escape for some, but it was missing that game feel for others.
from @Tiller in another thread.

"Simulation." That's an apt word for what I look for. I look for a world that makes sense and "feels feasible." I'm not looking for an epic storyline like a single player RPG or a simply murder simulator. Fill that world with deep lore and allow me discover that lore.

I look for good NPCs that are my window to the world. They may have tasks for me to do. Maybe I just feel like killing monsters and seek others to do likewise. Maybe I feel exploring anywhere in the world and if I die, I die. Perhaps becoming a good craftsman tickles my fancy or learning a new language.

I expect alts. Lots of alts. I expect reasons to have alts like differing starting areas in this world.

I expect many activities that will keep me busy and engaged in the game. I expect deep systems that take me awhile to discover the nuances. I expect enough time to learn new skills and abilities before becoming inundated with even more skills and abilities.

I'm a carebear, so I expect a "safe environment" where I get to choose when to face danger, not being some other player's plaything or content. I'd like things I build to have a chance to be whittled away by time.

Again, what do you expect from an MMORPG?

PS: Is "Epic Quest" kind of redundant? Aren't Quests supposed to be epic by nature? Otherwise, aren't they just "tasks?"

VG

Blueliner

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Quality understandable and customizable UI
    Easy to use movement controls (WASD)
    PvP is voluntary
    My computer can handle running the game

Decent graphics
    Immersive world
    Lots of choices for who and what I play, and how I build that character
    Slow progression
    Lower levels are fun, not just upper ones
    High Fantasy, not silliness

VestigeGamer

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Hmm... well... seeing as I really play only one MMORPG right now and I am very familiar with it... I would say both simulation and escape.

Nice post, @VestigeGamer
    VestigeGamer

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• casualLaberscasualLabers Member CommonPosts: 3
    edited October 2018
    DMKano makes a decent point, but I believe there is a slight chance someone might actually make a game that would interest a lot of people, just like Path of Exile did back in 2011 I believe. 
    The currency system is actually really smart in there imo. I wouldn't mind a game with something as similar as possible to poe orbs. Or maybe someone invents an absolutely new market system, something that makes sense. The thing I love about path of exile market system is that you can buy poe currency to use what u farmed to kind of have fun with rng and roll items, and then if ure lucky enough u can actually buy currency in exchange for these items. And it is actually quite easy to spend just some orbs and make an item that is worth a lot more than just these few different orbs.

I'm not a huge fan of PvP so I don't mind a game where it wouldn't mean much, I'm all for this sweet PvE content, and I love grinding so wouldn't mind spending hours to farm exalted orb stuff - like in L2 for example. 

Another thing is I definitely prefer the games based on subscription. It makes it so that there is less of younger players who often make the gameplay less pleasant...

And I wish every game had developers similar to poe developers - who ACTUALLY listen to what people have to say about different game mechanics.

Post edited by casualLabers on
    VestigeGamer
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited October 2018
    OP, I agree with what you said, except for the carebear part, in part.
    I do want open world PvP, but with rules that make random PKing expensive to those doing it. I want a working justice system where victims can avenge the crimes against them, or done in their name through a social order. And it has to hurt the perp.
    "Hurt The Perp!"
    Say it with me, everyone, "Hurt The Perp!" lol

I expect more than just to go look around for exploration. I want discoveries.
    Like discovering valuable resource centers, Boss Mob dens, caves and other places you can turn into a home or encampment, ruins that you can explore for loot and artifacts, ancient burial sites, passes and shortcuts through mountain ranges, entrances to a vast underworld, buried treasures, the works. And ancient spells, power sources, rituals, and the like. And knowledge of the secrets of the world.

And related to that discovery, I want a deep lore that has layers of eras of ancient domination. Some good, and mostly evil. Like an Age Of Dragons, Ages of Demons and Cults (under humanoid control), a long lost "Golden Age", etc.

I want a very deep economic system that doesn't have the game systems that current games have, like universal banks and trade houses. I want the players to build that, and have the tools to do so.

And I want it in a Sandbox world where I can choose my courses of action.
    VestigeGamer

Once upon a time....

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    DMKano said:
    My expectations are - disappointment.

I know that sounds very negative - but OP did say MMORPG - and with the current state of the genre - I think I am being pretty realistic.

That not an unreasonable expectation, given the state of MMORPGs.

I tend to look for things beyond the Melee, Magic and Crafting systems that dominate the current games in the genre.  Even the games on the horizon aren't looking beyond these.  I'd love for a new game to come along and develop a new kind of abstraction for us to engage in.  If all I want is the MMC trio, I already have plenty of choices.  Do something new, please.

VestigeGamer

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    One thing I liked about the early days of SWG was the fact that you started out as nobody special and you could make a name for your character within the world on your own terms.

Your backstory was simple; you just happened to be an unlucky person who was traveling on a ship seized and blown up by the Empire. They basically said sorry about your bad luck and dropped you on a planet of your choosing with a few weapons, a melon and 200 credits (and later an annoying green droid).

Not many people liked the fact that in the early days there was no direction in the game at all. No real questing beyond mission terminals with a silly back story, and later the Rebel and Imperial themepark stories. You made your own story.

I thought they were onto something with the story teller patch and story arcs, but apparently they kept looking at games like WoW and became jealous of that success so they relaunched the game with the glorious NGE we all remember.
    VestigeGamer
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DMKano said:
    My expectations are - disappointment.

I know that sounds very negative - but OP did say MMORPG - and with the current state of the genre - I think I am being pretty realistic.

I am nodding in agreement here. I just don't see this changing anytime soon.
    VestigeGamer

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    edited October 2018
    Hmm... well... seeing as I really play only one MMORPG right now and I am very familiar with it... I would say both simulation and escape.

Nice post, @VestigeGamer
    Escape, Another good word. I think this is why I dislike cash shops so much as they bring the real world into my gaming world.

Thanks. I often wonder if much of the overall negativity about MMOs stems from failed expectations.

PS: Lots of interesting insights here.
    Phaserlight

VG

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Amathe said:
    Quality understandable and customizable UI
    Easy to use movement controls (WASD)
    PvP is voluntary
    My computer can handle running the game

Decent graphics
    Immersive world
    Lots of choices for who and what I play, and how I build that character
    Slow progression
    Lower levels are fun, not just upper ones
    High Fantasy, not silliness

Does voluntary PVP include dedicated areas like Eve Online or Albion or would you require access to the entire world completely devoid of pvp if requested?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    MMORPG's as a genre are in a terrible place at the moment, because it's become crystal clear that the ROI on these types of lengthy projects is dismal compared to other genres.

I believe the "Golden Age" of MMORPG's is forever gone. Perhaps the possibilities offered by new tech like SpatialOS may hold some hope, but given the fact that "more complexity" means higher development cost probably makes the ROI even less attractive...
    MendelVermillion_RaventhalAlBQuirkyVestigeGamer
    MMORPG's as a genre are in a terrible place at the moment, because it's become crystal clear that the ROI on these types of lengthy projects is dismal compared to other genres.

I believe the "Golden Age" of MMORPG's is forever gone. Perhaps the possibilities offered by new tech like SpatialOS may hold some hope, but given the fact that "more complexity" means higher development cost probably makes the ROI even less attractive...
    I don't agree.
    Gamers have proven that "MMO" is very desirable.
    Make a great game that plays different, that's an exciting and adventurous world to play around in, and polish it well, and you've got something.

PhaserlightVestigeGamer

Once upon a time....

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    edited October 2018

I always figured it will take a MMO maker that puts the genre in the hands of the community.  Where you can boot up a generic MMO out of the box. It would need to be highly customizable and allow community assets.

Though something like that could cause oversaturation and destroy the genre.  Unlike other gaming genres numbers matter to the individual game.  I don't know.
    VestigeGamer

I always figured it will take MMO maker that puts the genre in the hands of the community.  Where you can boot up a generic MMO out of the box. It would need to be highly customizable and allow community assets.

Though something like that could cause oversaturation and destroy the genre.  Unlike other gaming genres numbers matter.  I don't know.
    People never fully agree on anything so I don’t know how anyone could expect players being in charge of an mmo would ever truly be a good idea. 
    AmarantharAlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

I always figured it will take MMO maker that puts the genre in the hands of the community.  Where you can boot up a generic MMO out of the box. It would need to be highly customizable and allow community assets.

Though something like that could cause oversaturation and destroy the genre.  Unlike other gaming genres numbers matter.  I don't know.
    People never fully agree on anything so I don’t know how anyone could expect players being in charge of an mmo would ever truly be a good idea. 
    Many developers are already players.  Yes quality can come from players especially if they are running a business.  This already took place with games like Neverwinter Nights.  I think it would take a much more complex toolkit.

I totally agree. You need a skilled team that understands what they are making and for who, and know the pitfalls and how to get around them, or avoid them.

Once upon a time....

Many developers are already players.  Yes quality can come from players especially if they are running a business.  This already took place with games like Neverwinter Nights.  I think it would take a much more complex toolkit.

Big difference between creating an mmo with like minded players and letting an entire  player base create one. The moment you have a vote and pass one idea over another you lose someone. If you split them up into different servers with different rules, well thats a different game entirely now and defeats the purpose. 
    AlBQuirky
    edited October 2018

I totally agree. You need a skilled team that understands what they are making and for who, and know the pitfalls and how to get around them, or avoid them.
    Just don't play them if they are bad. Community content is a proven commodity.

Community content or a game created by the community? Need to make up your mind here because they are not the same thing. Community content is limited by the developers so content stays within the original scope of the game. 
    MendelAlBQuirky
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    That i would enter the realm as i would in real life,confused,unknowing,need to explore/discover,talk to people/npc's,you know a ...WORLD.
    VestigeGamerAmaranthar

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited October 2018
    I want a game that caters to its target audience.  I'm sick to death of all this wishy washy try to be something for everyone crap.  They end up pissing off at least half the player base at one point or another.  WoW waffles back and forth between casuals and hardcores, never finding a happy medium, thanks to their deluded belief that casuals can be converted to hardcore end game.  Pick a direction then go 150% full speed ahead. Something like Brad McQuaid's "The Vision" that existed in old EQ before SOE tried to embrace casuals in a hardcore game, creating a quagmire of bleh.

Only MMO I ever played that stuck to their guns was Wizard 101.  They picked their audience, catered to it and raked in the money and love because of it.  Never played Eve Online, but they seem to get it as well.
    VestigeGamer

Community content or a game created by the community? Need to make up your mind here because they are not the same thing. Community content is limited by the developers so content stays within the original scope of the game. 
    One in the same in context to a theoretical MMORPG maker.  
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I expect to play something I kinda already played. What I hope for is an experience I never had.
    VestigeGamer
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

Not one in the same. Even with an MMORPG maker you end up with the same dilemma, you try to get the opinions if a broad audience and it will fail. Once you separate the players you are in different games anyway.
    Amaranthar

Not one in the same. Even with an MMORPG maker you end up with the same dilemma, you try to get the opinions if a broad audience and it will fail. Once you separate the players you are in different games anyway.

If it fails... so what...
  • VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518

I don't agree.
    Gamers have proven that "MMO" is very desirable.
    Make a great game that plays different, that's an exciting and adventurous world to play around in, and polish it well, and you've got something.

"Make a great game..." That's the tricky part.

VG