Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tab Target, FPS Style or a combination of the two?

ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
edited October 2018 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
The title says it all really.
Do you prefer:
tab target games, where you must first select your target and no "aiming" is required,
FPS Style where every skill toward another entity is aimed and uses non guided projectiles
or a combination of the two.

Some examples of a combination are ESO and Tera. I'm sure there are more, but that's what comes to mind.

I would also like to hear why you prefer your type and if you prefer a combination I'd love to hear more detail on how that combination does or should work. 

Thanks!
Tab Target, FPS Style or a combination of the two?
  1. same as the title.. seems a tad reduntant28 votes
    1. Tab Target
      50.00%
    2. FPS style
      21.43%
    3. Combination of the tow
      28.57%

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    tab target for MMO.  Only because you can't stop aim bot on pc.
    KyleranUngooddeniter
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I like tab target for MMOs. I like FPS for multiplayer games with guns. I have never liked the combination though.  
    craftseeker
    --------------------------------------------
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Tab target.  Its what  grew up on and I'm now even older and slower.

;)
    El-HefeOctagon7711Vermillion_Raventhalcraftseekermikeb0817AmatheAlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    ESO isn't bad with the combination.  But I'd prefer just tab targetting.

I've got the straight edge.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I play and enjoy both , But i enjoy Tab Target games better as the classes always seem more interesting imo with more depth and utility
    craftseeker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    None of the above.  I prefer that you attack in whatever direction you're facing and hit whatever is there without it being tied to the direction the camera is facing.  That used to be what games did almost universally, so I don't see how it's not even an option now.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i've always been a tab target combat fan.. but i learned it's not as simple.
    i like it when you can try to focus on one singular target to cast spells and i like it when you can throw things in it's general direction. if you combine it that is pretty awesome.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    As someone else mentioned,it depends on the game.I could use an analogy...do you like a baseball glove or a hockey stick better,well yeah depends what sport i am playing.
    Unreal...Quake...Doom,then it is manual aim,rpg's work better without manual because they do a heck of a lot more with combat than simply point and click.
    That is not to say a rpg is better than a fps'r.The first person shooter if done right has way better maps and weapon types to cover all bases,close,mid range ,far and splash damage.FPS'rs are about prediction and luring in and speed,rpg's are about thinking,react to the action taken,buffs and debuffs, so yeah genres have such huge differences,it is more about the game design than how you aim.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Someone mentioned the best example of action combat in an RPG ever: Kingdoms of amalur.  Really hope coperncius becomes a reality
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Quizzical said:
    None of the above.  I prefer that you attack in whatever direction you're facing and hit whatever is there without it being tied to the direction the camera is facing.  That used to be what games did almost universally, so I don't see how it's not even an option now.
    Didn’t even occur to me :) You mean a Zelda like system? Interesting for sure. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a MMORPG with that type of combat. 

Wizardry said:
    As someone else mentioned,it depends on the game.I could use an analogy...do you like a baseball glove or a hockey stick better,well yeah depends what sport i am playing.
    Unreal...Quake...Doom,then it is manual aim,rpg's work better without manual because they do a heck of a lot more with combat than simply point and click.
    That is not to say a rpg is better than a fps'r.The first person shooter if done right has way better maps and weapon types to cover all bases,close,mid range ,far and splash damage.FPS'rs are about prediction and luring in and speed,rpg's are about thinking,react to the action taken,buffs and debuffs, so yeah genres have such huge differences,it is more about the game design than how you aim.
    You can have MMORPGs with each style, the only thing preventing it is the team  creating it. You prefer tab target for this genre is what I get out of your statement. 
    Someone mentioned the best example of action combat in an RPG ever: Kingdoms of amalur.  Really hope coperncius becomes a reality
    I’ll have to play it sometime :smiley:
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Quizzical said:
    Didn’t even occur to me :) You mean a Zelda like system? Interesting for sure. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a MMORPG with that type of combat. 
    Spiral Knights pretty much is.  Tree of Savior is much closer to it than it is to tab target or first person shooter.  What I wrote also describes Elsword pretty well, as I didn't rule out side scrolling.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I prefer hybrid: mostly shooter style but without the tedious realistic projectile paths.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Think of God of War combat but in an RPG.  It's THAT good.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Think of God of War combat but in an RPG.  It's THAT good.
    I've just replayed KOA recently and it is pretty good but it does have warts related to range and facing. Particularly noticeable with medium range weapons like chakrams especially when you start adding special attacks to them.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited October 2018
    Probably tab target.   I prefer the complexity load to be more placed on actual character abilities.  (IE: GW1, any Iron Realms Entertainment game, Final Fantasy Tactics).

Compared to an action based MMO where the complexity load is shifted more towards movement, aiming, and dodging.   Which makes all the actual abilities you're using have less "cognitive space" available (simpler), usually resulting in something that feels more samey to other MMOs.
    Post edited by anemo on
    craftseeker

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Grinding and action combat can be tedious for me.  
    VestigeGamer
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I prefer non tab target , but less than fps style . Running around while casting AOE spell , care less about aim target is hella fun XD
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Pros and cons with both.

melee never bothered me at all with "FPS" style, and in fact, I much preferred that with melee combat over tab targeting. I could never get ranged/spell casting to work like I thought it should in an MMO with that style though, and with just tab targeting it's all just stat based and feels more like fighting in a spreadsheet than anything actually skill oriented.

I like my MMOs to be hybrid -- part of it comes from building my character in game, and part of it comes from me being an alert and active player. I don't like it when the game skews too far in either direction though. I should be able to power through with skill, and I should be able to power through with gear/level... but both of those only within bounds and reason. The rationale behind old EQ con system --- white was "your level" and what an average player, with average gear and skill, should be able to overcome. Yellow was challenging: either good gear, excellent skill, or teamwork should win. Red was just suicide. In practice it didn't quite work out that way, but I always liked the concept.

If I could get a MMO with Horizon - Zero Dawn style ranged, it would be keen. Best archery mechanic I've seen in a game to date.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    I love playing in first person view, unfortunately developers don't produce that kind of game :( As for targeting, tab targeting. Aim bots are a thing and they are not going away, so why not just remove the aiming and optimize the targeting?
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I kinda like how GW2, or DDO work when it comes to combat. You can Tab Target if you want to, but you do not need to, as long as you are facing your opponent you will shoot at them as if you targeted them, as opposed to 2 microns over their shoulder because your mouse moved a fraction of an inch.

Which I think is a better system for an MMO, it gives you freedom to open fire and kill stuff, or you can tab target and be all tactical.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    100% Tab Target. I, AlBQuirky, am not the character in a game, my avatar is. Leave my twitch skills at the curb, please.
    craftseekerVestigeGamer

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Depends.

When it comes to PvE tab targeting is just to unstimulating for me so I prefer more action based style.

With regard to PvP they're all good.
    VestigeGamer