Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For the last time fanbois, this game is NOT growing

2»

Comments

• MX13MX13 Member Posts: 2,489

Originally posted by Clackamas

Originally posted by MX13

I am FAR from a Fanboi, but I will add what I've seen since I've returned:

The Game is growing.
    What I mean by growing is that more people are playing.
    It's grown by about 20% from it's low point in January.
    A majority of the people returning are Vets.
    About 5% of the Pop are new players.

Where do you get your numbers?  Are they for all servers or just yours....  Do you mean growth in subscriptions is happening (and again, where do you get your info) or just population grown on a server (and how are you determining this)?

Unfortunately, anyone can make up numbers and throw them around. 

The game is dead and should be unplugged. 

ROFLMAO!!!

Don't you people read??? I DON'T LIKE THE NGE!!!! I HATE IT!!!!!!!! I HATE SOE & LA!!!!!

Look at my past posts, and you'll see why I'm playing, it's complicated, but for a damn good reason. That said, I POSTED WHAT I SAW!!!!! I didn't say it was the law, all I posted was what I SAW. With MY eyes. I ESTIMATED. That's why I used words & phrases like "what I" and "about".

Please poeple, if you want to flame me, do it for a good reason, not just because...

I'll start my own SWG... with Black Jack... and Hookers!!!

In fact, forget the SWG!!!!

• XcathdraXcathdra Member CommonPosts: 1,027

Originally posted by Obraik

Originally posted by admriker444

I see Obraik and other fanbois are still trying to convince others that the game is "growing" and the population is healthy.
    Once again I must point out that the President of SOE himself stated recently that the game continues to lose players. He was happy to admit however that the rate of losses was slower. That statement of course is ridiculous as of course the rate will slow when there are less players around to quit.
    The only reason people like Obraik might see more pvp action is because players from less populated servers are moving to the few remaining populated ones. This is a fact that has repeated itself in many other failing mmo's.
    I saw this in AC2, Horizons, EQ2, and a few other MMO's. The few remaining players are trying to convince others (and themselves) that their game is fine.
    Perhaps its an ego thing. If they admit their game is a loser then they'll realize....

Yeah, and he also said the game was losing players before the NGE.  WoW is losing players, DDO is losing players, CoV is losing players.  All games are losing players, why would SWG be any different?

No, these people are not from other servers.  Nearly all of them are vets from well before the NGE with some new guys that started after the release of the NGE.

I know it's not the news you want to hear, but the game IS doing fine and the publishes are bringing people back again. 

Uhm... Not on the server I used to play on... It is empty... Content is STILL broke.. They are up to 3 combat upgrades, and 28 publishes... And still no working game. The game is NOT fine.. Its NOT healthy...its NOT growing. WoW IS doing better than SWG.. which is why swg is trying to implement wow style crap into its game. If I wanted to play wow i would.. I play(ed) swg cause I prefer that over wow.. How many more people do they need to chase away for you to understand the game is dieing...Check out the SWG forums... People are still bitching about whats going on... The onny new thing about that is they are the NEW players...

You are one of the most optomitic people I have ever had the pleasuer of arguing with obraik...But at somepoint even you will get fed up with the NGE and promised publishes.

Xcathdra

Having access to a billion $ IP - Billions of dollars..
    Having access to a massive fan base of said IP - Even more Billons...
    Singly handedly alienating them due to stupidity - Priceless.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by hercules

I saw this in AC2, Horizons, EQ2, and a few other MMO's. The few remaining players are trying to convince others (and themselves) that their game is fine.

Hmm few people in EQ2 lol.What you been smoking dude.

Why not leave those still intrested in SWG to have their fun eh?

I wont claim to know much about EQ2 as I only played it for 2 weeks at launch and quickly left. However the fact that they had a server merger must mean reduced player population.

SOE can spin it however they like but there is no getting around this...less servers = less players.

Well at least you own up to the fact that you really have not played the game.But thats a bit  90s to think server merger means less people.

The servers that got merged were the last added ones.This were the less populated servers from the word go.Though the zones are instanced the city is not and at the time of launch the cities were lagging horribly due to heavy traffic thru it and required decongestion.

As people levelled out and visited the city much less frequently and that need was no more.

The only big advantage of the zoning system is that it creates loads of "sub servers" meaning the main server can actually hold much more people.

Hard to believe?Log onto oasis and see how many people are running around and this is even one of the less populated server.Will not even comment on servers like nagafen which u run into someone/people on every zone even off peak
    EVE has over 100k people yet one server.The need to have so many servers was of no use considering way EQ2 is build.

Sadly,sirbruce is no more doing his data but from a personal point of view i see more people now then i did at launch.And it had over 350k at that time.

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

Some people arent lying (I HATE NGE FANBOIS,but some maibe dont see the facts),well since SWG is soo empty people tend to talk to other friends and decide to play on server X,they still log on their main and some other people ask them what server has a big pop,and they say server X,soo all the SWG end up playing on server X while servers A,B,C...etc are almost empty.And the all station acces pass is atemp of SOE's to scam people into subbing to SWG,because players want to play PS or EQ2,and say "what the heck"...il get full station pass soo I can try out SWG too or PS,or EQ etc...well SOE sees them automaticly subscribed to SWG,EQ and PS.Soo SOE says that there are some people that stil lsub to SWG because those people sub to all of SOEs games.

Soo stop lying that the player base is growing,that alot of people are comming back and having tons of fun ,to all people that read positive post and reviews about SWG,do not belive them,they are lies.Soo to all NGE fanbois...let me put this very clear cause im tired of seein people go "SWG is great","omg SWG is soo fun" ...I got 2 words for you: STFU NOOBS

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Hmm few people in EQ2 lol.What you been smoking dude.

Why not leave those still intrested in SWG to have their fun eh?

I wont claim to know much about EQ2 as I only played it for 2 weeks at launch and quickly left. However the fact that they had a server merger must mean reduced player population.

SOE can spin it however they like but there is no getting around this...less servers = less players.

Well at least you own up to the fact that you really have not played the game.But thats a bit  90s to think server merger means less people.

The servers that got merged were the last added ones.This were the less populated servers from the word go.Though the zones are instanced the city is not and at the time of launch the cities were lagging horribly due to heavy traffic thru it and required decongestion.

As people levelled out and visited the city much less frequently and that need was no more.

The only big advantage of the zoning system is that it creates loads of "sub servers" meaning the main server can actually hold much more people.

Hard to believe?Log onto oasis and see how many people are running around and this is even one of the less populated server.Will not even comment on servers like nagafen which u run into someone/people on every zone even off peak
    EVE has over 100k people yet one server.The need to have so many servers was of no use considering way EQ2 is build.

Sadly,sirbruce is no more doing his data but from a personal point of view i see more people now then i did at launch.And it had over 350k at that time.

I dont recognize the name but if you are referring to www.mmogchart.com it appears he's updated (somewhat) the site after a long break.

I may check out EQ2 again if they have some sorta free trial going (i cant find my original cd box). Adding pvp was a step in the right direction

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Remember, when you point the fanboi finger, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you.

• MakaneMakane Member Posts: 232
    I can't say if it's growing or not, I just resubbed yesterday to see what condition the game was in. But the one thing I noticed is that my guild is still around with a healthy membership and places like Eisley and Dant MO are still bumping, and this was 8:00Am Central on Sunday morning on LOWCA of all places.

I hated the NGE but I have to say that they have fixed many things since Nov. I'm going to give it this month and IF I begin having fun again I will continue playing.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

Originally posted by Rekrul
    The problem with SWG is, it's mostly vets. It always has been. They are either still there, returning, quitting, coming back after quitting pre-cu, and so on.

What MMOs always need is fresh blood. All subscription games have 8-10% monthly turnaround (too lazy to lookup the stats site right now). Just considering this, any and every MMO will lose 70% of original population after 1 year.

In case of SWG, it is the influx of new players that is the problem. It's no secret, pre-cu, or now, that many people join, mess around a bit, then quit since it sucks. It always has been like that. But SWG has maintained loyal player base, which, while it decreased the turnaround, did not provide the necessary influx. Simply put, every month more people cancelled than joined. And from business perspective, that's a problem.

SOE was/is/will be making money of SWG. They'll do anything to keep it alive as long as necessary. But I became convinced, that SWG was already bound for cancellation, and only way to keep it going was to merge it into station pass, since standalone version was in red numbers (NGE or no NGE). Monthly upkeed simply did not generate enough profit to keep it alive.

So in essense, alive or not, it's here to stay. Pre-cu won't come, because they can't afford to pay people to maintain it, current version is maintained by EQ2 crew, development is done by small team of part-time SOE developers, who are distributed over all SOE's projects.

SWG had it's share of cancellations, but they were more or less offset by ToOW purchases. It's currently funded from station pass pool, and serves as another offer in station pass, to add more variety. With EQ and EQ2, there was no need for another "turn-based" game, so they went into action direction.

Many of this can be interpreted from their press releases, from various external sources, even from Raph's commentaries (read between the lines from his posts about future directions of online gaming, debates of levels vs. skills, which all strangely coincide with direction changes at SOE), and so on.

At this point, if you cancel a standalone subscription to SWG it no longer matters. People would need to cancel station pass, and due to EQ2 that won't happen, not because of SWG alone. This also makes player base hard to judge, and number of staying players will be small, with high rotation of new players. But now, they no longer need to stay, since they are paying for everything.

Sadly, or not, SOE won this round. Not for the best of customers, but for their stockholders. We'll see how this will work out in the long run.

Well said and I agree. SWG is just another game in a gaming bundle for purchase. One day, the games will be all out free just for joining and paying for the monthly Station Pass.

• ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

Originally posted by Jodokai

Originally posted by ixontes

I am not attempting to flame anyone but I am in complete agreement with this post and not Mx. I kept my account up until March and I made my final decision when I got on at Mos Eisley one night at peak time and there was not one on. This game is dead.

Forgive me for being so blunt, but you're lying. I have the station access, and pop into SWG everyonce in awhile (it's the only game that the cross-game friends list works on), and no matter what time I'm on there is ALWAYS people in Mos Eisley, ALWAYS.

I'm not saying the isn't dead and I'm not saying it is, just letting you know that was a pretty obvious lie.

What I am saying is, it is not like it was and it will never be. At one time I could stand in front of the Cantina in Mos Eisley and I could literally see 100 people on my screen with LAG LAG  LAG! But it was a good kind of lag.
  • War_DancerWar_Dancer Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Obraik

Yeah, and he also said the game was losing players before the NGE.  

Yes it was but from what I remember alot of that was the Devs fault too. Like the xp nerf they tried to slip in after only 24 hours on the test server, or the root  and snare changes.

Also there is a difference between losing players which your right all games are doing and losing more players then your gaining.

• JodokaiJodokai Member Posts: 1,621

Originally posted by MX13 
    Don't you people read???

That's asking a lot of this crowd.