Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO-Lite The Matrix

12346»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Not in any real context. Just people failing to explain something using an acronym that does not fit what they are describing in any fashion. If it actually worked, no one would complain. That's what you need to realize. It just doesn't work.
    Not sure what gives you anymore authority to declare something not working. Are you part of the Federal Acronym Bureau of Review?   

No it has always been used as a term to describe something that isn't viewed as full fledged MMO.  It has been around for years.  It has stuck to games like Destiny. Quick search it is described in a 2014 Forbes article as MMO-lite. 

This is the only thread I have ever seen that had issues with those games being called MMO-lite.
    Thats weird on the 2017 Box Art from the creators its a Single/Multi/Coop Shooter ... Im guessing you think Forbes knows better than the creators of the game ATVI/Bungie ..

why don t you fire them an Email i tell them they have labeled there game incorrectly lmfao
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:
    Not in any real context. Just people failing to explain something using an acronym that does not fit what they are describing in any fashion. If it actually worked, no one would complain. That's what you need to realize. It just doesn't work.
    Not sure what gives you anymore authority to declare something not working. Are you part of the Federal Acronym Bureau of Review?   

No it has always been used as a term to describe something that isn't viewed as full fledged MMO.  It has been around for years.  It has stuck to games like Destiny. Quick search it is described in a 2014 Forbes article as MMO-lite. 

This is the only thread I have ever seen that had issues with those games being called MMO-lite.
    Thats weird on the 2017 Box Art from the creators its a Single/Multi/Coop Shooter ... Im guessing you think Forbes knows better than the creators of the game ATVI/Bungie ..

why don t you fire them an Email i tell them they have labeled there game incorrectly lmfao
    smh.. why do you keep talking about what Bungie Marketing is saying? You know better. 

They can call it whatever they want, that's marketing, box art.. that's marketing, game quick bio is all MARKETING. There are many reasons why they wont call it MMO or MMO Lite..but mainly because the MMORPG market is all but dead making it a HUGE risk that's non-debatable.

Us saying MMO lite has nothing to do with Bungie Marketing. They admitted that Destiny was inspired by MMOs, but if you play it, you quickly realize its more than inspired by.. We are saying it PLAYS like a MMO and that's okay for us to say because its true. Other Destiny players also say this, Unlike you and the rest of the "Because I say so" bittervets, I provide context and evidence to back up what I say. I've already provided links to such things in this thread.. so what are you denying?

Are you denying it plays like a MMO? If so you have never played Destiny even once or you haven't played MMOs even once... which is it? 

If you have played both you would see the correlation quickly. 
    Gdemami
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Scorchien said:

Doesn't matter lol.  These games will be called MMO and MMO lite by me and others.  It is just what it is. It is not new. I don't agree with them being call full fledged MMO.

Bungie really doesn't have a choice in the matter.  Not even if their marketing team decides to call it a coop murder simulator.

MMO-lite is here to stay.  I know I was using term for an idea way back in 07 to 09. 
    klash2defceratop001Gdemami
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:

Doesn't matter lol.  These games will be called MMO and MMO lite by me and others.  It is just what it is. It is not new. I don't agree with them being call full fledged MMO.

Bungie really doesn't have a choice in the matter.  Not even if their marketing team decides to call it a coop murder simulator.

MMO-lite is here to stay.  I know I was using term for an idea way back in 07 to 09. 
    If you believe so strongly in it , write them the email , state your case ... Then post us the reply .. here ..

But we all know you wont do that dont we .. .. You dont want the truth ..

Youve spent enough time writing here about it , surely you believe enough in your Theory to write ATVI/BUngie an email , why i would guess you could put it together in 10 minutes ....  Unless of course you dont want to know what the developer thinks ,

the amount of people calling it that is very very small , ive done some looking around even recently on Reddit .. it s the same discussion .. a couple trying to push an agenda the mass pushing back and laughing

Vermillion_Raventhalklash2defMrMelGibson
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

If you believe so strongly in it , write them the email , state your case ... Then post us the reply .. here ..

Youve spent enough time writing here about it , surely you believe enough in your Theory to write ATVI/BUngie an email , why i would guess you could put it together in 10 minutes ....  Unless of course you dont want to know what the developer thinks ,

the amount of people calling it that is very very small , ive done some looking around even recently on Reddit .. it s the same discussion .. a couple trying to push an agenda the mass pushing back and laughing

What are you rambling about?  If I created a themepark MMORPG and said it was an Online Action RPG does it matter?  What people call an MMO-lite has been used to describe The Division, Warframe, Anthem fits Destiny.  It has been applied for long time.  
    klash2defGdemami
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

What are you rambling about?  If I created a themepark MMORPG and said it was an Online Action RPG does it matter?  What people call an MMO-lite has been used to describe The Division, Warframe, Anthem fits Destiny.  It has been applied for long time.  
    Write your email if you dare and ask the devs if Destiny is an MMO of any sort .. go ahead...........  I Dbl Dog Dare Ya...lmao    weeeeeeeee we are lite .. silly ass shit ...
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:
    Scorchien said:

Write your email if you dare and ask the devs if Destiny is an MMO of any sort .. go ahead...........  I Dbl Dog Dare Ya...lmao    weeeeeeeee we are lite .. silly ass shit ...
    Wouldn't it be Bungie that needs to write multiple news outlets calling their game a MMO-lite? Obviously they don't care. 

I know you are trolling at this point but it is ok to accept change. It will be alright. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    klash2def said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    It's still the same ol' arguments 'round these parts.  

Semantics really mean nothing... we can call it an MMO, a "CORPG", a "Shared World Shooter", a "Toucan in a Party Dress", an "MMO Lite", a "Hub Based MORPG" --  it doesn't matter what you call them, it doesn't change what they are.

What's the point really?  Even "True MMOs" still instance content, cap areas, and even if they didn't WHO CARES, when was the last time you had more than 100 people in an area that you could see? GW2's WvW? Did it somehow make the game more enjoyable?

I don't know, I think people make a big deal about pigeon holing games into their own definitions too often, and honestly ask any 10 users on this site what an MMO is, they'll all give you a different answer, and they're all wrong, or maybe they're all right...  but that nobody can pin down the exact definition is fairly telling. 

And another question, is a game an MMO if the server can handle 1 million people in the same persistent world, but you only ever see 30 at a time?  How different is it than games that allow 100 people in a persistent world and yet you always see 40 people everywhere you go?  

Modern civilization cares. It's why languages were invented. So people know what the hell you're saying when words spew out of your mouth. If you start referring to boats, cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles, snowmobiles, jet skis as just "vehicles" all the times, people will look at you funny.

So, I drove my vehicle with my vehicle down to the lake, but after the day was done, my vehicle broke down, so I had to leave it there.

Can you guess which vehicle broke down? Probably not. So there's your most obvious answer for why people hate meshing everything under the sun into one category.
    I agree that modern civilization cares about categories which is exactly why this thread was created. But also i'm confused on what you are implying here with your car reference.

Are you saying that someone saying games like Destiny are MMO-lites is the same as calling all vehicles "vehicle"?

I disagree. 

Defining MMO-lites is like saying this vehicle is a pickup truck and this one is a suv.

They both do the same thing but they are slightly different and should be defined. Why Define a vehicle as Truck but get salty when people define a vehicle as SUV?  

It does not matter that you are a truck vet, we all have driven trucks.  there is enough truck in a SUV for people to realize its from the truck family but its different enough to be considered its own TYPE of truck. Thus the SUV. or in video games terms, the mmo-lite. 

Most people who own SUVs (Myself included) dont say I need to go wash my suv, they dont say i need to go wash my car.. we say i need to wash my truck. 

We know the difference between a truck and a suv but the word truck has been around longer so its easier to use and  its okay to use because its in fact a form of truck. 

People who deny that sound like "don't call your suv a truck! my dodge ram is a truck! that's a car! its not even a truck! it doesn't have a bed in the back!" 
    I can see where both sides are coming from. My opinion is that I'm just happy that people are separating true mmos with multiplayer games. If you or someone else wants to call them "MMO-lite", have at it.

These games (Destiny 2 etc.) tend to have similarities to Full fledge mmos (WoW). But imo it's in the same respect as SP/MP RPGs have to MMORPGs. 
    maskedweaselklash2def
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    GOTEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited June 2019
    Any game where potentially all players at least 100+ on at any given time can meet and interact together in 1 place without any lobbies in a persistent world is a mmorpg. These mmo-lites aren't mmos at all and shouldn't be counted as them. I'd actually view star citizen as a mmorpg over many listed
    Post edited by IsilithTehroth on
    Gdemami

MurderHerd

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited June 2019
    Just not sure I see the reason to redefine CRPGs and lobby games as "MMO-Lite" games.

This just seems random.

EDIT: Man I did not even pay attention to the necro-postification of this. 
    Scorchien
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Can't remember if I made a post about solitare being an MMO because it's massive, multiplayer and online.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Limnic said:
    Just not sure I see the reason to redefine CRPGs and lobby games as "MMO-Lite" games.

This just seems random.

EDIT: Man I did not even pay attention to the necro-postification of this. 
    I think for most players they don't care. When I played Destiny 2 I had to literally look it up to see if MMO because I couldn't really tell the difference.  
    Gdemami