Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big Names Headline New Squadron 42 Trailer - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    MaxBacon said:
    MaxBacon said:
    well only one game come to my mind on how long it did take to be made, duke nukem forever, and we know how that goes
    Oh, multiple been longer. Even the upcoming Beyond Good and Evil 2 is already reaching 10 years, Diablo III, TF2, Prey, L.A Noire all beyond SC current timeframe.

But none of that matters to the hyperbole hater statements like SQ42 can't have a proper trailer before the game is released (like it just did!), as it is standard everywhere, with or without a release date.

Gotta pick something to hate on, wasn't this an SC thread. :p 
    Did any of those take my money 10 years before they gave me the game?
    The fact the game is crowdfunded does not change the reality of game dev, you don't want to give money to games years before the game is released it's simple: Don't crowdfund games!
    Bullshit.  I gave based on a date that was 2 years not 10 and based on a SQ42 which was a recreation of WingCommander.  Not in any way a game that should take 10 years to make.  

The article asked what I thought about the trailer and the planned roadmap.  I gave my thoughts.  Don’t care if you agree.

Have fun.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    thunderC said:

*Breaking News* For another $20 million in stretch goal you can get now get:

If I'm going to pump more money into this cash cow I at least want 80's Top Gun Maverick Tom Cruise and not wacky Scientology Tom Cruise.
    But Scientology Tom Cruise already has a space ship coming to pick him up which is also getting digitized and will be available in-game.

Seriously though, by the time any iteration of this game comes out smartphones will be able to handle live ray-tracing. This game will look like how DOOM (1993) looks to the kids of 2018.
    JeffSpicoliOctagon7711
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited October 2018
    I for one am looking forwards to it still. By no means am I oblivious to the some times shady marketing practices but that's hardly limited to this project.

I have faith in the Devs, I have faith in those like Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman who have worked on the project. I don't believe for a second they would endorse a project that was vaporware. (Can you imagine the crapstorm aimed at them if it was)

But to each their own and only time will tell eh?

Edit: And boy did the trailers from yesterday make my giblets tingle.
    Erillion
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2018
    Seriously though, by the time any iteration of this game comes out smartphones will be able to handle live ray-tracing. This game will look like how DOOM (1993) looks to the kids of 2018.
    Haven't we been hearing that for many years already? The game devs ain't sleeping, just compare 2012 to 2015 SQ42 to 2017 SQ42, to 2018 SQ42, as it develops so are their visual standards kept with the AAA gaming scene.

And what they showed yesterday on the dev panels of the environments, cloud tech and gas clouds in space, their continues push on improving the visual quality will likely continue even after the game releases.

SQ42 will be a static release, as they'll work on the sequels. But SC isn't, the thing about MMO's is that they'll only stop developing the day they are shutdown.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

MaxBacon said:

Haven't we been hearing that for many years already? The game devs ain't sleeping, just compare 2012 to 2015 SQ42 to 2017 SQ42, to 2018 SQ42, as it develops so are their visual standards kept with the AAA gaming scene.

And what they showed yesterday on the dev panels of the environments, cloud tech and gas clouds in space, their continues push on improving the visual quality will likely continue even after the game releases.

SQ42 will be a static release, as they'll work on the sequels. But SC isn't, the thing about MMO's is that they'll only stop developing the day they are shutdown.

I agree with you 100%, but for conflicting reasons. This game is in the realm of perma-skepticism. It's on CIG how they go down in history. Right now it seems like a perpetual tech demo with shiny to keep the remaining worshipers believing. They might as well go for tax exemption at this point, it's basically a church.

"Do you want it NOW? Or do you want it AWESOME (in a nursing home)!"
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:
    They're doing it again. Misrepresenting the truth about the state of SQ42 to get donations. These guys are really slimy.
    lol, every game dev in this planet can do trailers of their game, CIG can without being the "devil".

And several parts of that trailers were on the gameplay walkthrough demo they did of SQ42, so what exactly misrepresents SQ42 there? Or is it just the fact "how evil CIG dares to do trailers to hype their product before it gets released"?
    Whether or not CIG is "evil" or the "devil" as you put it depends on how you view their lies and deceptions in order to raise money. I've seen Erillion basically say that the end justifies the means. I personally think that what they are doing is disgusting.

This isn't the first time they've misrepresented about the state of SQ42 and they are already known liars about the SQ42 subject - multiple times.

You can try and play the victim by saying that I am calling them evil or the devil or whatever, but the real victims are the people that buy into their bullshit.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Viper482 said:

MaxBacon said:

"Do you want it NOW or do you want it AWESOME?", Luke knows best.

They just record scenes of the game and roll it on a trailer, several scenes there like the Mark Hamill part and that prisoner on steroids are from the gameplay walkthrough shown last year (most of the SQ42 is cinematic but not as the pre-rendered video that plays out, the actual scene renders live while you're moving around and such).

I lost all respect for Hamill after he backpedaled on Luke's character being trashed in TLJ.
    Mark went through his own Jedi trial.  If he wanted to stay on Disney's good side, he realized he had to side with them.  Then he must of thought about it, asked himself what would Luke do, then started saying how he really thought about it.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I fell asleep watching the trailer, it wasn't epic and it was totally cliche.
    JeffSpicoliDarkpigeon
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    MaxBacon said:
    They're doing it again. Misrepresenting the truth about the state of SQ42 to get donations. These guys are really slimy.
    lol, every game dev in this planet can do trailers of their game, CIG can without being the "devil".

And several parts of that trailers were on the gameplay walkthrough demo they did of SQ42, so what exactly misrepresents SQ42 there? Or is it just the fact "how evil CIG dares to do trailers to hype their product before it gets released"?
    Stop it dude.  Quit comparing crowdfunded titles to producer-funded titles like crowdfunded titles should be able to act the exact same way with regards to marketing.

It's ignorant, and at this point you know as much.
    MaxBacon

• ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    I for one am looking forwards to it still. By no means am I oblivious to the some times shady marketing practices but that's hardly limited to this project.

I have faith in the Devs, I have faith in those like Mark Hamill and Gary Oldman who have worked on the project. I don't believe for a second they would endorse a project that was vaporware. (Can you imagine the crapstorm aimed at them if it was)

I don't know, man. They are kinda old...
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I don't get it. Why release a trailer with no release date in sight?

Seems kinda weird. More so if the game is still 2-3 years out, or more. Especially after how long they have already been in development.

Unless @BeansnBread has a point about them misrepresenting stuff...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited October 2018
    Zhenox said:

I'll have you know my giblets are as fresh as the day I got them.
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    Erillion said:

"Do you want it NOW or do you want it AWESOME?"

I like that Mark Hamill quote. Sums it up quite nicely.

Have fun
    Like i said a while back...hope they allow you to will this game to someone when you die, because that is who "MAY" be able to have it.

Ya, that would be AWESOME...

• ZhenoxZhenox Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Zhenox said:

I'll have you know my giblets are as fresh as the day I got them.

Darkpigeon
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited October 2018
    Nilden said:

Seems kinda weird. More so if the game is still 2-3 years out, or more. Especially after how long they have already been in development.

You could ask the same to CD ProjectRed, Ubisoft, Bethesda and probably any other AAA studio lol

As much as you guys are desperate to play a game as ambitious as this one you have to keep your perspective and not let the frustration get the best of your emotions. ;)

Oh and...

You got nothing* on Luke Skywalker and Superman B)

*dereksmartlol

Shaigh
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

You could ask the same to CD ProjectRed, Ubisoft, Bethesda and probably any other AAA studio lol

As much as you guys are desperate to play a game as ambitious as this one you have to keep your perspective and not let the frustration get the best of your emotions. ;)

Oh and...

You got nothing on Luke Skywalker and Superman! B)
    Or maybe the trailer makes me think it's at least semi close to releasing, but you know Star cultists gotta cult.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    Or maybe the trailer makes me think it's at least semi close to releasing, but you know Star cultists gotta cult.
    lol if you saw game trailers like this and thought games are close to release you'd be in for quite a rollercoaster ride :D 

You seem to used to the "E3 Effect", where games get suddenly announced to unveiled at this conference and release 6 months later.

Now for the titles that share more earlier dev, and there are many of those, we tend to see teasers of this and that through the years up to its release.
    Babuinix
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:

Stop it dude.  Quit comparing crowdfunded titles to producer-funded titles like crowdfunded titles should be able to act the exact same way with regards to marketing.

It's ignorant, and at this point you know as much.
    No, I won't stop. Crowdfunded on not, game development is game development on independent of how the budget is funded. Crowdfunded or not, a company is a company, and it will like any company, have the same type of inner workings.

So I am going to compare, call me ignorant all you want, the how the game studio is funded does not change the reality of development and its overall business aspect.

To me, attacking a company for releasing a trailer of game scenes (as standard on the typical cinematic story-driven game) before the game is released is what is ignorant and perfect example of double standards. ~~mumbles away
    Babuinix
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Babuinix said:
    Nilden said:

Oh and...

You got nothing* on Luke Skywalker and Superman B)

*dereksmartlol

have any of these company asked for player money BEFORE the game was done and with a launch date ready?
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited October 2018
    Whether or not CIG is "evil" or the "devil" as you put it depends on how you view their lies and deceptions in order to raise money. I've seen Erillion basically say that the end justifies the means. I personally think that what they are doing is disgusting.

This isn't the first time they've misrepresented about the state of SQ42 and they are already known liars about the SQ42 subject - multiple times.

You can try and play the victim by saying that I am calling them evil or the devil or whatever, but the real victims are the people that buy into their bullshit.
    Your post is the pedestal of double standards, you managed to get me in a lost of words for a bit on how petty your argument is.

In EVERY trailer of game, that come from months to years before said game releases, the state of the game is always polished, the trailers themselves are ALWAYS optimized and polished up to look visually as a "final polish" as they could possibly look, so instead of screaming at CIG, go scream at the game industry.

In fact you want to accuse of being misrepresentative but you got nothing, it's a reel of bits of SQ42 cinematic moments specifically, and several of those scenes, we have already seen on a gameplay walkthrough of SQ42.

If you want to hate CIG, I mean there are WAAAY better arguments you can bring, because this one to me, is petty garbage.
    JoeBlober
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Am I the only one who thinks they look just too much like the actors playing those characters to the point of being a distraction? Not totally creepy but definitely somewhere around the fringes of the uncanny valley.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited October 2018
    Iselin said:
    Am I the only one who thinks they look just too much like the actors playing those characters to the point of being a distraction? Not totally creepy but definitely somewhere around the fringes of the uncanny valley.
    I think the main chars this is clearly done on purpose, if you see the new Mark Hamill character looks much more like him.

But I don't see how would that be more distractive than say watching a movie, and you do get that feeling of knowing who the actor is and not embed yourself very well in who the actor is playing, I think it's quite normal isn't it?
    JoeBlober
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    MaxBacon said:

Your post is the pedestal of double standards, you managed to get me in a lost of words for how petty your argument is.

In EVERY trailer of game, that come from months to years before said game releases, the state of the game is always polished, the trailers themselves are ALWAYS optimized and polished up to look visually as a "final polish" as they could possibly look, so instead of screaming at CIG, go scream at the game industry.

In fact you want to accuse of being misrepresentative but you got nothing, it's a reel of bits of SQ42 cinematic moments specifically, and several of those scenes, we have already seen on a gameplay walkthrough of SQ42.

If you want to hate CIG, I mean there are WAAAY better arguments you can bring, because this one to me, is petty garbage.
    You want to pretend that what I am saying is "petty garbage," but the reason you are so riled up is because you know I'm right. They are misrepresenting their progress on SQ42 to get donations.

There is a reason they didn't announce even a hint of an estimate for release or beta or whatever. It's because the sole purpose of this video is to hype people to give them money. They know that people will interpret it as SQ42 being somewhat close to finishing.

They will do this exact same thing next year as well. And there will be no date given.
    edited October 2018
    You want to pretend that what I am saying is "petty garbage," but the reason you are so riled up is because you know I'm right. They are misrepresenting their progress on SQ42 to get donations.

There is a reason they didn't announce even a hint of an estimate for release or beta or whatever. It's because the sole purpose of this video is to hype people to give them money. They know that people will interpret it as SQ42 being somewhat close to finishing.

They will do this exact same thing next year as well. And there will be no date given.
    No, because your argument is petty garbage, not what you are saying, what I am saying about what you are saying. lol

Guess what! Trailers before the product is released and even the release trailers, are meant to hype people into buying / getting interested into buying the product. Why do you think Pre-Orders exist?!

And indeed no release date was given for SQ42, so any smart person will know it's not somewhat close to finishing, I think everyone here kinda knows that when a game is announced and shares trailer but dates, that game is not near completion independent on how good the trailers look. I think it's rather logical to percieve it as such.
    JoeBlober
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    MaxBacon said:
    Iselin said:
    I think the main chars this is clearly done on purpose, if you see the new Mark Hamill character looks much more like him.

But I don't see how would that be more distractive than say watching a movie, and you do get that feeling of knowing who the actor is and not embed yourself very well in who the actor is playing, I think it's quite normal isn't it?
    Well even actors in movies that have a distinctive cinema persona can be distracting when you see them in a new role. Not all actors - some can pull off a role change well and not distract from the role but others can't.

I have a hard time watching Daniel Radcliffe and not thinking "Harry Potter." Not quite as bad with Emma Watson, but close. Jennifer Lawrence OTOH, is a skin changing alien and she totally sells whatever new role she's playing.

I definitely find Luke and Scully distracting, will always think of them in game as Luke and Scully, and would have preferred their voice with a different body.
    [Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED