Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42 Trailer is out

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
edited October 2018 in Star Citizen

This is the first proper trailer of SQ42, the characters have gotten quite the upgrade that was shown in-depth in one of the dev streams today. And showing off some of its impressive heavyweights cast in the action.

On specific SQ42 status, is said with the now releasing OCS tech (released today on 3.3 testing) all the major hurdles hitting the game are dealt with, it will only need continuous finishing up of game mechanics from flight to FPS, most deff AI still needs to improve a lot, as the SP campaign shares those mechanics with SC.
Post edited by MaxBacon on
IselinBabuinixConstantineMerusErillionSirAgravaineWalkinGlenn

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Does the trailer give a release date?
    NorseGod

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2018
    Does the trailer give a release date?
    Nope. They did not give dates but they did give a roadmap as to what of major is left to do before the release of Star Citizen. SQ42 Roadmap is set to be published in December.

It seems the game is finally looking at a release, seeing that the last major item to be done before the release of SC is the server-mesh, and considering the usual roadmap fluctuations, SC is moving to release the missing gameplay professions, expand the game-world and its content, and polish up the game to its initial release. So I am speculating one SC Beta in 2020, it's not much left to do (most time most deff will be fixing up and polish the game).

He just confirms the MVP is what they'll do, and continuous post-release updates with the rest. 
    Gdemami
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    "Answer the call... 2021" Maybe...

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SQ42 is the one and only part of this whole thing I've ever been interested in. Story driven space fighter adventures were the Roberts games I enjoyed way back when.

Looking forward to this.
    Slapshot1188IncomparableOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    But I thought "all the mocap work binned because it was impossible to work with"... :D

Epic Trailer! Squadron 42 is gonna sell like hotcakes just by it's cast alone lol
    GdemamiWalkinGlenn
    edited October 2018
    "Answer the call... 2021" Maybe...
    Gets to a point it gets clear the SQ42 and SC releases won't be far apart, because they can't be, because mechanics are shared, the last phases of dev (the polish and optimization) will hit both at the same time, it's like you're cooking 2 breads in your oven but you take one in half the time the other will be baking it'll end up half-baked.

Babuinix said:
    But I thought "all the mocap work binned because it was impossible to work with"... :D 
    I mean I heard so much the argument how SQ42 looked bad and outdated, and since the very first showcase in 2015, to the one in 2017, and now this one, every time they show it it's visually more impressive, especially the characters and the environments.

Same thing with mocap, the dev panel today did go in-depth on what they worked on to improve and solve the problems it faced. 
    Gdemami
    It's almost if the people having those theories know very little about the process of how a video-games is made lol B)

Seems armchair development is hard too, they keep missing all their doomsday predictions :D
    IselinGdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Babuinix said:
    It's almost if the people having those theories know very little about the process of how a video-games is made lol B)

Seems armchair development is hard too, they keep missing all their doomsday predictions :D
    You should at least wait for someone to start trolling before you go into your anti-troll trolling in this thread don't you think?
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]NorseGod
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Babuinix said:

You should at least wait for someone to start trolling before you go into your anti-troll trolling in this thread don't you think?

Paladin: [observing the wreckage of the Concordia] May they rest in peace.

Blair: Peace. Have we ever known anything like that, Paladin?

Paladin: Not for a long time, laddie.

edited October 2018
    ErillionBabuinix
    edited October 2018
    MaxBacon said:

Oh Hamilll ... you're a gentleman and a scholar, a gambler and a wit.  <3
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2018
    Iselin said:
    Babuinix said:

I do think calling out arm chair devving while armchair devving yourself is pretty hilarious though.

Too bad its asking for drama when there was none to be found, yet.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]NorseGod
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Looks pretty but I’m underwhelmed.
    BabuinixNorseGod

hah! But Oldman looks better now, as on lore he is 150 years old (in lore humans can live up to 200 years) and his voice accent does make more sense.
    BabuinixConstantineMerus
    Also some of the actor's from the trailer comparison to their characters:

Gillian Anderson

Mark Hamill

Rhona Mitra

Liam Cunningham

Gary Oldman

Mark Strong

Craig Fairbrass

Ben Mendelsohn

Andy Serkis

ErillionBabuinix
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    MaxBacon said:

So I am speculating one SC Beta in 2020, it's not much left to do (most time most deff will be fixing up and polish the game).
    Back during Star Citizen Kickstarter they were speculating release in a about 2 years.

6 years have passed and we're progressed up to the point where fans are speculating beta release in about 2 years.

edited October 2018
    Vrika said:
    Back during Star Citizen Kickstarter they were speculating release in a about 2 years.

6 years have passed and we're progressed up to the point where fans are speculating beta release in about 2 years.
    I mean back then it was when the scope kept growing, we kept seeing SC this, then more ambitious approachings to many things, many refactors, etc...

That is the main difference from today, the scope is rather locked, we don't see them like the Citcon demo and all announcing this major new features and all that, just doing what they already had planned before.

It becomes much easier to predict when we know "What's left to do?", and as CR mentioned on the road to release, SC will release as one MVP, so it's as stated the server mesh being the last major undertaking before a beta then launch.

So we calculate shenanigans here, the server mesh was originally Dec 2018, pushed back to Mid 2019 and on the review it got cut (as it's no longer on the 1-year roadmap prospect, we'll see if they add it to Q3/Q4 2019), so it gets quite likely this will get worked next year and being conservative releases in 2020.

That's what I'm using here, server mesh milestone + 1 completed solar system (they need Arccorp and Microtech after now being adding Hurston), can very much mark that move.
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    I'd much rather see actual gameplay than cutscenes. 
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Arkade99 said:

Naw we need more concept sales like new 4 wheelers, skate boards, transgender heads, ect.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Arkade99 said:
    SQ42 is a cinematic SP campaign, so stuff like this is very heavily part of what is to expect, the specific flight/FPS play was shown last year, it is not finished or polished up yet but you can check it out:

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    As a trailer it failed to make me exited or even curious about the story. This looks derivative like ****.

Hopefully the game play will make up for it, or the story will turn out less paint by numbers than it seems.

One can hope.