Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New World: Exploring Windsward - Check Out This In-Game Footage - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageNew World: Exploring Windsward - Check Out This In-Game Footage - MMORPG.com

Amazon has released a new in-game video that shows off exploration of Windsward, one of the early New World zones. As the character runs through the map, viewers are treated to a look at the environments and locations that are found in what appears to be a starter zone.

Read the full story here

Comments

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Nice and all, I am just curious, where on earth did they come up with the setting in 18th century America?
    esc-joconnor
  • Whiteshade92Whiteshade92 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    edited October 2018
    This is not a MMO it's one of many survival game. I don't think this article belongs to MMORPG.com.
    Don't offend Suzie It's just my opinion.
    Post edited by Whiteshade92 on
    Margravegastovski1bobbymcswansonLaviota
  • RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

This is not a MMO it one of many survival game. I don't think this article belongs to MMORPG.com.

I suggest you hold that opinion until it is closer to release and when there is more public information.

;)
    Laviotametareal
  • FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254

This is not a MMO it one of many survival game. I don't think this article belongs to MMORPG.com.

MMO simply means Massively Multiplayer Online. With 10k players/server it clearly is an MMO.
    Laviotanatpick
  • ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91

Galadourn said:

Nice and all, I am just curious, where on earth did they come up with the setting in 18th century America?

Maybe because there is no game in that era?
    SBFord
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Shinobe said:

Galadourn said:

Maybe because there is no game in that era?
    Maybe there is a reason why there's no game in that era...i.e. sounds boring?
    gastovski1der_bayer36esc-joconnor
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Looks ok.. unfortunate that there was no flora movement when running through tall grass. theHunter does that very well so hopefully Amazon with a far bigger budget can get around to doing the little things that bring the game together.
    Brunlin
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    This is not a MMO it's one of many survival game. I don't think this article belongs to MMORPG.com.
    I do think it is safe to say that when Survival games grow in scope and population (500 plus players in one world) they are the next step in the MMO evolution, I've said so before. New World is a step in that direction.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]metareal
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Does this mean the NDA is lifted?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Following actual trend I think,they ll 'sold it as an MMORPG but at end as final product it have to be ;MP-co-op survival,action,shooter ... whatever ...
  • KiwiHypeKiwiHype Member UncommonPosts: 233

Does this mean the NDA is lifted?

No, its an official video.
    [Deleted User]
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Can somebody get this guy a mount?
    FacelessSavior[Deleted User]infomatz
  • KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    The setting is reminiscence of 18th century America, but I promise you it isn't set in colonial america and its not trying to stay historical.
    Galadourn

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    another one...

l2p

• anxelesaxeanxelesaxe Member UncommonPosts: 24
    The problem here is that most people got into MMOs after wow came out, so they think that MMO = theme park. This is looking interesting to me, as someone who started on UO and AC. I'd be down for a AAA budget game with an old UO feel. It's been a long time.
    FacelessSaviormetareal
  • RedsaltRedsalt Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I have been looking to try out a survival game, and this one looks the most interesting to me. I love the setting for this one.
    metareal

Redsalt... the other salt.

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

Be silent fool
  • bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

The problem here is that most people got into MMOs after wow came out, so they think that MMO = theme park. This is looking interesting to me, as someone who started on UO and AC. I'd be down for a AAA budget game with an old UO feel. It's been a long time.

Thank you...some of these clowns don't know what an mmo even is...mmo doesn't= shitty carebear game.......like many of you seem to think....any time a game has PvP and eating these people lose their shit.....
    rkip
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited October 2018

Kalafax said:

The setting is reminiscence of 18th century America, but I promise you it isn't set in colonial america and its not trying to stay historical.

The use of Conquistador type gear suggests, imo, a nominally early 16th century timeframe. Usually described as "The Age of Exploration" which would also fit with their New World label. It could span a century or two though after that, pre-industrial though.

As for where North America and much of South America for sure. And the potential mystery of such places to European explorers will allow "magic" be it witchcraft, voodoo, shamanistic, aztec etc. etc. .... if that is a feature they want to add.

How an individual views it though may well vary depending on where they are in the world ... and what graphic models they add; you are notgoing to look at the tootage and think "Japan" for example. It might prove generic enough to be Indonesia, New Zealand - maybe even Africa. Flora and wildlife start to play a part though.

However this is a timeframe that allows for both early firearms and swords whilst armour still has a place. Ground travel will be on foot, horse or cart and sea battles will be possible but with no pesky planes!

Generic but with enough historical material to be able to "suggest" Pirates of the Carribean, The Last of the Mohicans, Da Vinci's Demons, maybe Tarzan, King Kong, The Lost World and a host of other "stereotypical" stuff to "hook" players without paying for an IP. (Probably not Peter Pan since that has flying!)
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    [Deleted User]immoralthangrkip
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited October 2018
    Well then, I saw a video of a guy playing. The combat is absolutely trash. I doubt it's something they plan on doing anything about or could do anything about. The game seems like its literally a gather, and make stuff until you get tired of it game. It's basically Landmark without the voxels or super custom building. The mobs are just another gathering resource. They're terrible and don't really serve any purpose beyond this. It looks decent though. Maybe they'll implement mounts or transport. The idea of making your gear, tools and housing is cool but there's no other redeeming qualities. This is a empty husk craft/gather/make game. The survival mechanics aren't even noticeable. Doesn't matter if they get 10,000 people on it at a time they have no real offerings.

Lumberyard Tech Demo definitely confirmed.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    It's a guy running on a road. WTF are we supposed to see?
    MadFrenchierkip

Beta tester maniac

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yay, you can both run and have a 2018 curly top fade haircut in the 1700s.... who knew?

Also... breathing sounds. Absofuckinglutely revolutionary itellya.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well unless they hid another reveal somewhere behind their 3 last year(?), this was the only one people were caring about and so far its disappointing.
    Signex
  • WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    He must really be in a hurry
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    I find something about this game very appealing. But unless they offer PvE servers, or at the very least, consensual PvP, then I ain't going anywhere near it!