Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progression

What is more important to you?  How you level or the end result of you level?  Journey vs. Destination.

I would say both are about equal to me.  I can't play MMO where the leveling is boring test to see if I deserve in game.  On the other hand I like to flesh out my character horizontal or progressive leveling into something I like to play.  
Scorchien

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think I agree that both are equal. You have to make the journey fun, and long enough to feel worth it, but the destination has to have something worth doing as well. There has to be a balance. Which devs seem to either cater one way or the other, not both usually. 
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      well over the years , i can say i really always have enjoyed the Journey much more than the end game ..

The journey was really great in games like UO,AC,AO,DAOC, Eve ,EQ etc .. These games were all about the journey living and dying in that world .. Overcoming odds...  The offerings of today are a fairly fast ride to end game dailies ... Much shallower experiences imo
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711PhaserlightcraftseekerVestigeGamer
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2018
    For me, its more about the point than the actual activity. What I mean by that is, how everything plays together in order for you to respect the systems in place.

I think earlier FFXI can explain my point a bit better. So back in the day, you could level up and after 50 you had level caps where you had to do a quest to increase your level cap (you could play everything on a single character in FFXI). The quests up to 66 were easy enough, with some rng involved with some (mainly the first level cap), then for the 66-70 one to increase your level cap up to 75 you had to fight a dude that was your class but it was also another class as well (classes were called jobs in FFXI). Pretty much, this would test how well you knew your class, if you geared properly and if you had your skills actually leveled up (elemental skill/axe skill/etc similar to how wow did theres sorta). Originally, this was designed to be done for every job you want to take past 70 but people complained for nearly a year before they made it a one time pass I think (it was probably all red mages complaining too since red mage maat was a nightmare). The point, everything worked in together in order to provide an overall experience. Back then, if people saw you had jobs up to a certain level and/or certain equipment, they knew you either were skilled or had massive amounts of money but honestly things didn't get sold too often due to how horrid the rng was back then.

I think that's the main thing people are missing about 'classic' versions of game, the meaning behind what you're doing, not the activities you were actually doing. Since leveling to cap was so long in many games back in the day, players had to think carefully about what they wanted to level up while also managing things like inventory space/money/etc on a regular basis while leveling. Skill/abilities/spells weren't just given to you either like they are today, with some games requiring you farm mob drops for spells (in ffxi) or going to trainers and paying a bunch of gold (like in wow). You actually started to bond with your character and care for it, rather than raising an alt army that you can barely remember who has what done. It may sound weird to some, but respect was an important thing back in the day in games, which is definitely lacking today.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    they are equal

you can't have a journey if you stand still
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Definitely the Journey for me. It's why in most of the MMOs I've played all my character slots are full with alts.

I enjoy the challenge of coping with less than the ideal (end game) tool kit and the faster pace of advancement. End game is typically more about small and subtle progression through gear or some other end-game scheme,

KyleranVestigeGamer
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    the end result kind of kills it for me.. most games nowadays focus on that at the cost of the journey. look at WoW if you want a worst case scenario.

you know like excessive power gains at a rapid pace,levels always increasing making everything obsolete etc. yeah i know "muh rpg"  

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited October 2018
    I enjoy games where the "end game" is the real game. I don't care anything about the leveling process and especially hate "quest to level" systems. I also almost never play an alt as I feel like I am cheating on my main.
    VestigeGamer
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    There is no such thing as end game. No sooner do you reach max level then they raise the level cap and add more dungeons. Boom you are back on your journey.
    [Deleted User]KyleranVestigeGamer

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    edited October 2018
    Why does it matter.   All the games I played I have a few thousands playing hours.  I don't quit after I reached max level.

I presume from your post you are the type that need a level up bar to continue playing.

I played korean grinders with unreachable level cap.   The problem is the level gap between players get too large.  That is why themepark games have easy to reach max level.  So everyone is relatively the same power level.

I understand you hate wow, and almost every post talk about how bad wow is and other theme park game is... But the whole reason for easy to reach level cap is people need to be at the same power level to do dungeon and pvp together.  But of crouse you won't understand the concept.  Because most likely you quit the game after reaching max level.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    AAAMEOW said:
    Why does it matter.   All the games I played I have a few thousands playing hours.  I don't quit after I reached max level.

I presume from your post you are the type that need a level up bar to continue playing.

I played korean grinders with unreachable level cap.   The problem is the level gap between players get too large.  That is why themepark games have easy to reach max level.  So everyone is relatively the same power level.

I understand you hate wow, and almost every post talk about how bad wow is and other theme park game is... But the whole reason for easy to reach level cap is people need to be at the same power level to do dungeon and pvp together.  But of crouse you won't understand the concept.  Because most likely you quit the game after reaching max level.
    Who said I hate WoW or themeparks?  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Amathe said:
    There is no such thing as end game. No sooner do you reach max level then they raise the level cap and add more dungeons. Boom you are back on your journey.
    Which is when I realized how pointless the typical theme park style gear grinder really is.

and the music stopped.....

PhaserlightVestigeGamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2018
    Obviously the journey because level 1 is exactly the same as level 101 just more of the same ,different foes different gear.
    Then to see scaling just makes my eyes bleed,you take one of the fails of a rpg and make that worse...sigh.

Let's turn an entire world....game  into nothing more than a bunch of instances grinding gear so you are able to hit a new instance.
    So yeah for me,it is about the people you meet along the way,the new art work and discoveries along the way,the new npc personalities,the new skills you learn along the way.When it comes time to hit the last level it is a sad state of gaming that evolves from there,one i have never enjoyed.

Oh but wait,let's call these instances RAIDS,oh boy isn't that exciting....sigh.Then after we kill that boss,we can just reenter and kill the same boss again a few minutes later,but wait ,i thought we just killed him...apparently not ,all the while 500 other groups are killing that same boss because hey isn't instance gaming ...FUN.
    VestigeGamer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    I just love to see my character grow stronger and stronger , collect more shine and shine .
    Who care it about grind ? quest ? boss raid ?
    Much say that i more enjoy the game when bots did everything for me and i only need to come back to check how the cute slaves (bots) progress .

PVP , PVE , boss raid is all the side dish for me .
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    The journey. (Surprise!)
    PhaserlightVestigeGamer

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Definitely the journey. End game with all the grinding and end game resource gathering before dungeons makes me quit pronto soon after. So I have very little raid and end game experience even though I raided for years in Everquest and WoW I simply hated it but for my friends.
    VestigeGamer
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited October 2018
    cheyane said:
    Definitely the journey. End game with all the grinding and end game resource gathering before dungeons makes me quit pronto soon after. So I have very little raid and end game experience even though I raided for years in Everquest and WoW I simply hated it but for my friends.
    How can you have very little raid experience if you raided for years in Everquest and WoW?

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I should have said 'in spite of'.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Both for me.
    But here's the thing. I don't want it to be about levels. I want the journey to be about building both my character and my assets, with no real "end" to it all.
    I want to be able to seek out advancements in my character and build "him/her" into what I want. I don't want it just leveled according to the system. I want to find the know-how to make stronger spells, or stronger special attacks, or better potions, or finer weaponry, etc. I want to do it, not the game's dictation that a level grants it.

I always wanted to see players be able to advance past the top "level" of skills, but at that point lose some with each death back to the "top level". So that it's possible to build an extraordinary character, and everyone would know what an accomplishment it is. A slow gain rate, and something like a 50% loss of the current "over-the-top" skill gain upon a death.
    AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

Once upon a time....

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It use to be just getting to max level when I first started playing MMO's.  Now it's pretty much the journey.  Some games I've never reached max level because at some point the game style changed and I wasn't having fun.  Other games I've maxed every class because I enjoyed the content so much.
    AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    My first inclination was to say I prefer the journey over the destination but then I realized that's not exactly right.  It depends on what I'm doing at any given point in the game.  I could (and have) hated the leveling up part of a game if I didn't like the type of game play I had to do during that part of the game.  I know quite well I can hate (and have) the end game of a MMO.

So really my answer is neither and both.  What matters to me is the type game play the game is designed for.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:
    Which is when I realized how pointless the typical theme park style gear grinder really is.

and the music stopped.....

That's right, which why the nature of the game play is all that really matters.  If you enjoy what you are doing to gain levels and/or loot then it's worth it to keep playing.  If you don't enjoy the type of game play required to progress then it is ridiculous to keep playing just to keep adding numbers to a character you don't even like playing.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Yes both for me as well. I likeI like having fun along the way. I also want to like where I am going.
    AlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    While I tend to appreciate the Journey more than the Destination, the Journey has become increasingly similar throughout.  I end up doing the same thing at level 10 as I do at level 50, only with different graphics.  I'm not finding as many interesting points on the journey, at least not enough to keep me interested in most offerings.  There's nothing to mark my character's accomplishments, no specific trial that I must complete in order to continue or a new tactic to incorporate into my combat routine.  I end up repeating the same basic combat operations, eventually running all out of new experiences.  Boredom sets in, and I move on.

AlBQuirkyVestigeGamer

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    I prefer the journey with end destinations along the way.  Horizontal progression.
    VestigeGamer

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I prefer the journey with end destinations along the way.  Horizontal progression.
    Horizontal or shallow vertical progression is something that seems like a hard sell.  So many games waste time and content on easy level up to the real game.  It doesn't take that long to learn the game.  In fact it is usually counterproductive because end game is group based.