Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Fallout game is best of these 3

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ive actually never played these so going to grab one of these 3 , which do you feel was best ..
 Any insight is welcome
Which Fallout is best of these 3
  1. Which Fallout is best of these 382 votes
    1. Fallout 3
      23.17%
    2. Fallout New Vegas
      51.22%
    3. Fallout 4
      25.61%

Comments

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I played and enjoyed them all.  i didnt play fallout 4 as much as the other 2 mostly because of how many games i had at time of release. I picked new vegas. I have the most play time and lot fun memories of it

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    edited October 2018
    Each have different merits.

FO 3 has a clearly defined 'good' goal.  It wraps up the Harold & Bob story from the first two.  Some of it's DLC is delightfully weird '50's era science fiction elements.  Overall, it takes itself less seriously than the latter games.

FO New Vegas end goal isn't as clearly defined.  The different factions you can choose to support are neither good nor evil.  It's end goal and story is more open to choice.  

FO 4's story is rather scattered between all the different factions you can choose to support or try to kill off.  The crafting is significantly more involved than previous games.  Settlement building is a love/hate relationship.  You'll quickly find out why people want to put a bullet in Preston Garvey's and Marcy Long's skull.  

Replayabilty can be hit or miss.  You have to commit to a different build.  I always seem to end up with avatars that have the same skills regardless of what I try to start with.

None of the three have any continuity between each other.  You can play them in any order and you won't see any spoilers or story elements that are shared except for the world they occur in.

I'd say Fallout 3 and it's DLC are overall better than the other two.  Unless you really  like to create settlements.

In all of them Dogmeat is Dogmeat.  Love'im or hate'im.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq

Post edited by Grunty on
    ScorchienRobsolfPhryMrMelGibson
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2018
    My personal favorite is FO4, but overall I'd recommend New Vegas as the one to try.

I also recommend a strong stealth/ sniper build if new to these titles, worked very well for me in FNV.  Also rifle specs provide same bonuses to shotguns.  

Shotguns are a bit meh at first so use them only for up close killing of rad scorps and only if you can't kill them at range. Once you get the automatic combat shotgun

Melee builds can be very challenging especially until you get your first power armor set.

If going heavy weapons I found mini guns pretty underwhelming in both FNV and 4. Missile launchers however were awesome, especially when killing death claws at range.

Post edited by Kyleran on
    [Deleted User]ScorchienRobsolf

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Fallout: New Vegas, hands down.

The rest of the games in your list are not even proper fallout games, imo.
    [Deleted User]alkarionlog
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    so im leaning to NV , should i get all the dlc ... ...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I forget 3 since I played it so long ago and I never played New Vegas. So FO4 by default.

I did put a couple of hundred hours in it and have gone back 2 or 3 times. But like @Grunty said above, try as I may I always end-up using sniper rifles and shotguns :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Fallout 3 game of the year edition for me was just amazing. NV was good but not as free roaming as i would have liked. It had some really good things like weapons crafting. I played Fallout 3 with and without mods for 2 straight years.
    Scorchien[Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
    Scorchien said:
    so im leaning to NV , should i get all the dlc ... ...

Just buy the ultimate edition you have linked,  three of those DLCs are well done.

Final advice, do not slavishly follow the main story line or the game will end way too quickly. Some folks claimed to do it in 35 hrs, took me 175 plus.
    [Deleted User]Scorchien

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    FO4 may be best, base game for game.  But GotY NV is the best.  Old World Blues was brilliant.
    [Deleted User]
    Robsolf said:
    FO4 may be best, base game for game.  But GotY NV is the best.  Old World Blues was brilliant.
    Yeah, only DLC I didn't think was well done was the tribals...
    [Deleted User]Robsolf

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i am not a huge fallout player but i started again and its fun play them all buddy start with fallout 3 game of the year edition it has hundreds of hours of gameplay;)
    Robsolf
    Grunty said:
    Each have different merits.

FO 3 has a clearly defined 'good' goal.  It wraps up the Harold & Bob story from the first two.  Some of it's DLC is delightfully weird '50's era science fiction elements.  Overall, it takes itself less seriously than the latter games.

FO New Vegas end goal isn't as clearly defined.  The different factions you can choose to support are neither good nor evil.  It's end goal and story is more open to choice.  

FO 4's story is rather scattered between all the different factions you can choose to support or try to kill off.  The crafting is significantly more involved than previous games.  Settlement building is a love/hate relationship.  You'll quickly find out why people want to put a bullet in Preston Garvey's and Marcy Long's skull.  

Replayabilty can be hit or miss.  You have to commit to a different build.  I always seem to end up with avatars that have the same skills regardless of what I try to start with.

None of the three have any continuity between each other.  You can play them in any order and you won't see any spoilers or story elements that are shared except for the world they occur in.

I'd say Fallout 3 and it's DLC are overall better than the other two.  Unless you really  like to create settlements.

In all of them Dogmeat is Dogmeat.  Love'im or hate'im.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/6Z9PbRq

One correction, Fallout 4 is all about looking for aluminum......always pick up everything made of aluminum or buy it from vendors when you see it.  ;)

Actually there are a number of key materials, adhesive,  screws, springs,  oil, and about 4 more, depending on what you want to build.

Encumbrance is a very real thing and I always took every perk or gear mod to increase carry capacity. 

You are golden when you get strong back to the point where you can fast travel regardless of being over encumbered or not.

[Deleted User]

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Thanks for all the great feedback folks , went with Fallout NV and all DLC only 20$ ...
    Kyleran[Deleted User]deniterRobsolfH0urg1ass
    Scorchien said:
    Thanks for all the great feedback folks , went with Fallout NV and all DLC only 20$ ...
    Hey, if you do make it to the end let me know what path you selected.

I only did one play through, might go back and revisit before plunging into FO76.

[Deleted User]

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Fallout 3 was my personal favorite. Something about fallout 3 captured that Americana 1950's vibe so well, It was very immersive. Dont get me wrong i love all 3 of the games but New Vegas felt a little too sci-fi and Fallout 4"s explorable world didn't feel quite as massive in scale to me despite actually being larger (I think)

[Deleted User]Aethaeryn
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    You should buy all of them and play them all in my opinion. Each one has its merits.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranNyghthowler
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Underrail.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited October 2018
    Kyleran said:
    One correction, Fallout 4 is all about looking for aluminum......always pick up everything made of aluminum or buy it from vendors when you see it.  ;)

Actually there are a number of key materials, adhesive,  screws, springs,  oil, and about 4 more, depending on what you want to build.

Encumbrance is a very real thing and I always took every perk or gear mod to increase carry capacity. 

You are golden when you get strong back to the point where you can fast travel regardless of being over encumbered or not.

My anecdotal experience with fast travel in FO 3 and FO:NV was it would cause the assassination squads to come after me more often.  In FO 4  it caused more settlement attacks.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Kyleran said:

My anecdotal experience with fast travel in FO 3 and FO:NV was it would cause the assassination squads to come after me more often.  In FO 4  it caused more settlement attacks.

You could be right, I never did figure out what the triggers for those were.

By the time the assasination attacks started in FNV I was well armored and skilled so they really were opportunities to pick up some great loot.

FO4 I learned to mostly ignore settlement attacks or put massive defenses that could lay waste to anything.

Didn't matter if I had to repair, I was basically rich from my muti-fruit farming and couldn't spend the caps I made.

Phry

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I'm a huge fallout fan, to me, NV is the best game, but Fallout 4 had the best gameplay mechanics. 3 was just okay for me personally, its not good at all without mods its the "Oblivion" of the fallouts.

NV, FO4, FO3 in that order. None of them are BAD  games so play whichever speaks to you most, but yea IMO NV is the best of the 3. 
    [Deleted User]KyleranArglebargle
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I liked Fallout 4. I messed my game up so bad and the game let me. Institute nuked. Railroad butchered. Prydwin bombarded. Settlements taken by raiders and Preston won't talk to me. Raiders killed by me. Far Harbor taken by the fog. Children of Atom nuked themselves. Arcadia butchered like the railroad. I have no radiant quests and anyone I run into I know I can shoot first and ask questions later.
    [Deleted User]
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    If I could import 4's power armor mechanics and settlement building into New Vegas, it would be the ultimate first person Fallout game. Yet even as it stands, it's still the best one by far. Obsidian's showing with the franchise is better than either of Bethesda's attempts  by a mile. 
    [Deleted User]

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

I didn't like the way S.P.E.C.I.A.L and the perks worked in FO4.  You couldn't make a gibbering cretin with off the charts Charisma.
    [Deleted User]
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I had the most fun playing fallout new vegas.
    Robsolf
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.