Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO-Lite The Matrix

Comments

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited October 2018
    The problem with MMO lite is that it doesn't mean anything and just plain contradicting. 

The argument use to be calling a game that is clearly not an MMO, and MMO. The argument presented was that the words "Massively Multiplayer" actually has a meaning. It means there is a "Massive number of players" online in this game. We argued back and forth about what that meant and so on, but for this particular argument, that part doesn't even matter.

What you guys are saying here is MMO LITE means something. I can't mean anything because Massively Multiplayer Online Lite does not make sense. 

I think what you need to do is look at the OTHER descriptor for the game and add 'lite' to that instead.

RPG lite? Maybe. FPS lite? Perhaps, but Massively Multiplayer Lite? It does not make sense. It does nothing. 

Find something better.
    this makes no sense.

You seem to think massive number of players is what makes a MMO an MMO. In 2003 yes.
    In 2018 no. Stop ignoring the other parts of MMO. Stop ignoring the fact that people use it as a descriptor. Same shit as Rouge-Lite, or Souls-Lite, people today use those terms to help the listener understand the type of game it is. Nothing is wrong with that. Stop bitching over semantics. Gamervets are the worse thing for gaming. It took this long to get innovation at all in the genre because of how vocal gamervets are about changes. They hate new ideas. 

So what about all the other parts of a MMO. If a game doesn't have all the other things is it still a MMO just because it has massive numbers? NO it isn't. Is Checkers a MMO because it has millions of people? No it's not because its not a persistent world that changes and has dynamic events with raids, pvp, pve, dungeons, lore, character progression etc. happening simultaneously. 

MMO-Lites have all that. They are only missing the large scale players per shard thing. That's one element of the MMO. Its not everything. Its small scale players per shard. Thus the MMO-Lite.

Again i'm still waiting on one of you old dudes to explain to me how Destiny, Warframe, Division and games like them aren't MMO at all. Do not say anything about numbers, there are several parts to an MMO.  Number of players is one part. What about all the other shit that is there. You cant explain it because its true. They belong to the MMO family. Welcome the MMO-Lites. 

If you think about it MMO-Lite makes a lot of sense. You have to think first. Stop trying to disregard a whole logical point of view based on semantics. 

Maybe In the future the MMO experience will be a shared game space where small groups of people will get the traditional experience but in quicker and smaller portions. Its called evolution. You and others like you will be 80 years old still saying "these arent MMOs! back in my day" 

meanwhile all the cool grandparents will be trying to finish the 3 man raid with their grandchildren haha
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited October 2018
    So using a word as it's meant to be used by it's definition is semantics? Wow.

MMO - Lots of people playing the same game online in the same world. Nothing difficult about that description.

A "Lite" version of that is multiplayer. Simple as that.

Stop trying so hard. You're failing worse every time.

P.S. Just because you mentioned checkers makes me realize you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Good day.
    SensaiGdemami
    edited October 2018

MMO - Lots of people playing the same game online in the same world. Nothing difficult about that description.

P.S. Just because you mentioned checkers makes me realize you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Good day.
    LOL  so because I said online Checkers isnt a MMO, I have no idea what Im talking about now... lmao.

Okay so are you saying Checkers is a MMO? wotm8?

Yea please make sure you take your meds. 

I'm not trying anything. There is no failing. This is easy to do, I'm just presenting the information that's out there for us all to see. 

The only fail I see is on your part. Gamervet syndrome fail.

The only try hard I see are gamervets who cant let go of the year 2003. Yea please go and play with your emulators. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

Rhoklaw said:
    Lets see, HBM ( Hub Based Multiplayer ) or HIM ( Heavily Instance Multiplayer )? Of course, the SJW's might not approve of an acronym with such a masculine reference.
    We already have a term that works perfectly. MMO-Lite. That's exactly what these games are.
    ChildoftheShadows

klash2def said:

LOL  so because I said online Checkers isnt a MMO, I have no idea what Im talking about now... lmao.

I'm not trying anything. There is no failing. This is easy to do, I'm just presenting the information that's out there for us all to see. 

The only try hard I see are gamervets who cant let go of the year 2003. Yea please go and play with your emulators. 
    The checkers comment was a strawman argument that I'm not even going to comment on anymore. You are clearly attempting to argue something you don't understand. That's never a good idea.
    klash2def
    Again i'm still waiting on one of you old dudes to explain to me how Destiny, Warframe, Division and games like them aren't MMO at all. Do not say anything about numbers, there are several parts to an MMO.  Number of players is one part. What about all the other shit that is there. You cant explain it because its true. They belong to the MMO family.

klash2def said:

The checkers comment was a strawman argument that I'm not even going to comment on anymore. You are clearly attempting to argue something you don't understand. That's never a good idea.
    Bruh I thought you were leaving to play with a emulator? 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

No.  MMO like multiplayer is different than simple multiplayer games. 

I gave the perfect example of Borderlands vs. Destiny.  If you can't tell the difference between an optional 4 player coop game and a game with 10s of thousands of player seemlessly always online multiplayer game... I am not even sure.  It is not MMO lite because it is multiplayer.  It is MMO lite because it plays like an MMO.  
    klash2def
    edited October 2018
    dude is acting like he doesn't understand the difference between MMO and Multiplayer.

To me he looks stupid. MMO-Lites are much more than just multiplayer the same way MMORPGs are much more than Multiplayer.

One has more players per shard that is literally the only real difference. 

MMO-lites are literally MMOs with smaller shards. 

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Asheram said:
    I was hoping to read more about an MMO-lite Matrix game you was turning us all on to.
    Same here.  /dissapointed
    MrMelGibson
    klash2def said:
    Do not say anything about numbers, there are several parts to an MMO.  Number of players is one part.
    MMO is a descriptor of only one facet, the number of players able to be in the same world at the same time. It does not signify ANY OTHER aspect of the game. 

"Don't argue this specific thing because I say so" LMAO... kids
    Geeky said:
    Asheram said:
    I was hoping to read more about an MMO-lite Matrix game you was turning us all on to.
    Same here.  /dissapointed
    I wish. that sounds amazing. My dad is morpheus. 
    MrMelGibson

klash2def said:
    Wow.

I think I'll start calling you Human-lite. Seem to be missing some components.
    Scorchien
    klash2def said:
    Do not say anything about numbers, there are several parts to an MMO.  Number of players is one part.
    MMO is a descriptor of only one facet, the number of players able to be in the same world at the same time. It does not signify ANY OTHER aspect of the game. 

Oh look the classic

"let me take one thing you said out of context to try to get back some dignity because I look stupid."

I never said the number signifies any other facet, i said it doesn't. So don't use it. stop trying to bend my words. Its dishonest. I'm not going to let you change my words into something I didn't say or imply. 

nah my dude like I said, explain how MMO-Lites like Destiny, Warframe, Division don't belong to the MMO family. Talk about the other parts its missing outside of the players on a shard thing. You cant do it. Thus MMO-Lite.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    Gonna bring this thread up again in 12 months.
    Please do, I enjoy pointing out when people are totally wrong,  in fact it's almost a hobby,  and so easy to do.
    To be fair, he doesn't present you with much of a challenge to begin with.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibson
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:

Oh look the classic

"let me take one thing you said out of context to try to get back some dignity because I look stupid."

I never said the number signifies any other facet, i said it doesn't. So don't use it. stop trying to bend my words. Its dishonest. I'm not going to let you change my words into something I didn't say or imply. 

nah my dude like I said, explain how MMO-Lites like Destiny, Warframe, Division don't belong to the MMO family. Talk about the other parts its missing outside of the players on a shard thing. You cant do it. Thus MMO-Lite.

The numbers do matter though. Just because you don't think so doesn't mean anything. Just because you don't understand doesn't make it invalid. 

Just because someone can't see the round Earth it doesn't make it flat.
    klash2def said:
    Wow.

Bro why are you still here? I thought you were going to play SWG private emulator?

You have yet to explain your point or explain why I'm wrong. All you've done is lame attempts at trying to insult me with dad jokes..

I've asked you several times to explain how I'm wrong and you haven't because you cant. I have presented a argument that is hard to debate because the games are proof of what I and many others are saying. MMO-lites.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Wow.

Bro why are you still here? I thought you were going to play SWG private emulator?

You have yet to explain your point or explain why I'm wrong. All you've done is lame attempts at trying to insult me with dad jokes..

I've asked you several times to explain how I'm wrong and you haven't because you cant. I have presented a argument that is hard to debate because the games are proof of what I and many others are saying. MMO-lites.
    Its all explained in this thread for you for the 4th time this year ...Try reading it

Case Closed

klash2def said:
    klash2def said:
    Wow.

SWG Emulator? Dad jokes? What are you on about? Nvm, don't bother answering. You don't matter anyway.

Like I said originally, the term MMO-Lite fails to represent what you are trying to say. It's like saying Supercar-lite. It's not Supercar-lite, it's just a car.
    edited October 2018
    MMO Lite is a poor lable, it does not define anything besides saying "well, that massively part isn't really massively anymore but we left the rest as it was." How about SSO, Shared Space Online? It doesn't talk about numbers or type of interaction, because we all know multiplayer can also mean ten people in the same space treating the multiplayerg ame as a single player one. Seems reasonable to me and much, much clearer than MMO Lite. You could then easily go with a SSORPG or a SSOFPS.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScorchienMrMelGibsonklash2def

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:
    Please do, I enjoy pointing out when people are totally wrong,  in fact it's almost a hobby,  and so easy to do.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Both of you explain how I'm wrong. I'm waiting. I don't care about all the insults. Tell me how Warframe, Destiny, The Division aren't MMO-lite and don't belong to the MMO family at all. 

the argument that it has little players per shard. We get it, that's why we say mmo-lite. The games have the same features and gameplay loops as traditional mmorpgs. They play exactly the same.

the argument that its multiplayer only. Its not, a multiplayer game is Borderlands, Gears or Call of Duty. MMO lites are online only persistent worlds with dynamic events. Im not going to list out all the MMO tropes we all know them just know lites have everything but it happens on smaller shards.

Without those two dead arguments explain how I'm wrong. I'm sick of the lame dad jokes just give me facts or stfu. 

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    klash2def said:

It doesn't actually mention a number of players.  It is vague.  What is massively today and be nothing tomorrow.  If there is a breakthrough in latency you could have 60k players in just one main city.  

klash2def said:
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Both of you explain how I'm wrong. I'm waiting. I don't care about all the insults. Tell me how Warframe, Destiny, The Division aren't MMO-lite and don't belong to the MMO family at all. 

the argument that it has little players per shard. We get it, that's why we say mmo-lite. The games have the same features and gameplay loops as traditional mmorpgs. They play exactly the same.

the argument that its multiplayer only. Its not, a multiplayer game is Borderlands, Gears or Call of Duty. MMO lites are online only persistent worlds with dynamic events. Im not going to list out all the MMO tropes we all know them just know lites have everything but it happens on smaller shards.

Without those two dead arguments explain how I'm wrong. I'm sick of the lame dad jokes just give me facts or stfu. 
    How about dropping the cursing and read what I wrote above. You are right about the gameplay features being similar EXCEPT for the numbers, unfortunately that means the MM in MMO doesn't make sense anymore, not even with Lite behind it. And I would never make dad jokes, although I am an awesome one...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    klash2defMrMelGibson

klash2def said:
    lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    klash2def said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

It's been explained many times and no dad jokes have been made. Your childish attitude is really blocking your ability to have a discussion here. 

"Without those tow dead arguments" - this is part of the problem. When someone presents you with an argument or a fact you disregard it and keep trying to get an explanation. 

It's time to face the ultimate fact. You lack the ability to understand. Someday, buddy, someday.
    edited October 2018
    klash2def said:

It doesn't actually mention a number of players.  It is vague.  What is massively today and be nothing tomorrow.  If there is a breakthrough in latency you could have 60k players in just one main city.  

Vague yeah I agree with that, but massively is representative of being exceptionally large. I would argue that a MMO of yesterday shouldn't be considered an MMO of today because of the advancements in technology. Much like the "fast" cars of the 20s would likely not be considered remotely in the same category of fast cars of today. The threshold would be ever increasing. That would also mean only a handful of games would qualify for MMO status today.

But that is not what this "discussion" was even about.