Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The History Channel is EVIL :P

2»

Comments

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

That is one of the strangest things I herd since my friend not being able to watch MTV or BET. These kids will be messed up in the future. The parents thing they are doing a good thing, but wait till this kid want's to have a career thats right up the ally with the Discovery channel or the History channel. He won't make it.

I suggest you just leave it alone or at least have a little talk with the parent about their child.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• ScorpesScorpes Member Posts: 830

I would suggest the OP to drop it and not pursue it. The fact remains that if they want to brainwash and mentally crippled there children their is no law preventing them. People who are raised like that end up like the Phelps family, the one where the woman was thanking god for dead soldiers at a soldiers funeral.

That and these people are very unbalanced, how dare she go up to the OP and tell them to keep their child away from their child? It could have been handled well enough by telling their child to not associate with the OP's child but instead make a point to come over and rub it in. It shows a vindictiveness that could become an issue if its pursued beyond this point.

• FaemusFaemus Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X
    That is one of the strangest things I herd since my friend not being able to watch MTV or BET. These kids will be messed up in the future. The parents thing they are doing a good thing, but wait till this kid want's to have a career thats right up the ally with the Discovery channel or the History channel. He won't make it.
    I suggest you just leave it alone or at least have a little talk with the parent about their child.

i don't think theres any possibility of that talk with the parents going well. Just shoot pity rays from your eyes everytime you drive by the house.

-- I need a nerf --

• GuRu39GuRu39 Member UncommonPosts: 58

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by porgie
    WTF!!!???

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious!  Does she not realize that her kids are the dangerous ones?  They're going to explode someday when they are away from mummy's apron.  LOL!!!!

If it weren't for Discovery Channel, History Channel, and Science Channel, I don't even think I'd watch 10% of the television I do now.  I think she's trying to keep her kids in some Amish bubble or something.  Then one day, one of them wanders off the safety of the family lawn, and into the clutches of eeeeeevil.  Hahahaha.

Even Ned Flanders lets his kids play with Bart, doesn't he?

What would Jesus do????  Jesus would tell his kids to stay away from the neighbors.  They're evil.  ROFL!!!

So that's what this whole home schooling thing is about?  Now I know.  I will most defnitely put my kids in public school.  Where they can be engaged with different kinds of people.

You know what's going to happen?  God has a way of giving parents like this gay children.  Just look around you at all the hardcore conservatives.  There's a gay person in every one of their families.  They try to hide them, but they're there.  Just investigate it if you don't believe me.  You had better warn her.  lol. 

Parent's like this are the reason my teenage nephew is living with me right now. 

His parents got thumped in the head by the Bible and kicked him out of the house when he decided to tell them the truth about his sexualilty.  He was so embarrased by what they did that he was living on the streets instead of coming to the rest of the family for help.

I feel sorry for that kid.  I hope nothing bad happens to him.  It's not cool what they're doing.

Well i grew up going to church and the god thing is always a touchy subject, along with rasing kids.

It seems if my memory recalls there was a passage in the Bible ," Judge not, that ye shall not be judged". I wold call the parent fanatical and prob emotionally unstable.

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by GuRu39

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Parent's like this are the reason my teenage nephew is living with me right now. 

His parents got thumped in the head by the Bible and kicked him out of the house when he decided to tell them the truth about his sexualilty.  He was so embarrased by what they did that he was living on the streets instead of coming to the rest of the family for help.

I feel sorry for that kid.  I hope nothing bad happens to him.  It's not cool what they're doing.

Well i grew up going to church and the god thing is always a touchy subject, along with rasing kids.

It seems if my memory recalls there was a passage in the Bible ," Judge not, that ye shall not be judged". I wold call the parent fanatical and prob emotionally unstable.

I think my parents did a good job with the God thing raising us. 

My dad told us that there are a lot of different religions in the world.  And that each one has it's good and bad points.  But that every religion is a man made belief system that tries to explain life.  Along with that some try to manipulate and stifle while others teach of freedom and exploration.  He said there is wisdom inside each along with ignorrance and the potential for hatred.  He told us to try out each one if we like, and to pick the one that speaks to our hearts.  But to always respect others in their decisions.

I think if every parent did that then things wouldn't be so bad these days.  We might be a little more accepting.  I know I find myself a lot more accepting of others than most.  So it worked pretty good on me.  I feel comfortable loving as many people as possible.
  • VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by shae

Wow, thats wild Kimmar, good for you for not completely wigging out on her though.
    I can't imagine having such close minded parents, certainly it's their right to raise their children as they would like but can you imagine... ?
    My parents were so big on getting everyone's view point, they taught my siblings and I that our personal beliefs were a small part of a much greater sum, if we wanted respected for what we believed in, we would have to show the same towards others.
    We were encouraged to ask questions, get other peoples oppinions, read, watch and take in information that quite often contradicted what we were taught, how else would we learn about the rest of the planet ? 
    I like to think thats why we (my family) turned out so different, I have siblings in the military, I have some that are the quintessential familial suburbanites, a couple of hippies in there and then of course me which I've yet to catagorize (I have 9 siblings btw).
    Anyways, point being, I just can't imagine haven grown up so limited, or if I ever have children myself, limiting them to such a degree. There are so many amazing and beautiful things in the world. It's almost sad in a way.

it must be hard having family discussions on politics and stuff, if some of your family are military buffs, some are hippies, and other such different walks of life....

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• noname12345noname12345 Member Posts: 2,267

Originally posted by reavo

I think my parents did a good job with the God thing raising us. 

My dad told us that there are a lot of different religions in the world.  And that each one has it's good and bad points.  But that every religion is a man made belief system that tries to explain life.  Along with that some try to manipulate and stifle while others teach of freedom and exploration.  He said there is wisdom inside each along with ignorrance and the potential for hatred.  He told us to try out each one if we like, and to pick the one that speaks to our hearts.  But to always respect others in their decisions.

I think if every parent did that then things wouldn't be so bad these days.  We might be a little more accepting.  I know I find myself a lot more accepting of others than most.  So it worked pretty good on me.  I feel comfortable loving as many people as possible.

That's awesome Reavo. My parents never had straight up discussions like thats, but after 17 years of living with them and visiting my very spiritual Aunt, I picked up the same message.

With religion and kids, all it is just education. Just educating what God is like, how God works, how to worship,...ect. This education is very similar to the public school system in many ways except the main subject is God and your textbook is the Bible or whatever. The problem is, is that we all know in regular school that most kids don't get perfect grades and when they graduate don't get perfect GPAs. So as a graduate they could misinterpret many things specially history. Same thing with Bible except on a huge scale with a monster of a book talking all about life in a time where people spoke differently and had much different lifestyle. Then you add the differences of speech and lifestyle with all the translations the Bible has had and then you have a quite a "mess" (best word I could think of but its also 4:25 AM).
    Then you have all these sects of all these religions who think they got it right. So then all the members teach their kids their beliefs and so they were really just educated into believing it. Many people might call it brainwashing except they get a clean slate (child's brain) to work with and so there never needs to be any persuasion, torture,...ect.

I predict (assuming nothing catastrophic happens) in the future many years from now many religious beliefs will be different. People will wake up and realize that religion is the reason for war. They will realize teaching people how to behave and what to think can only lead to disaster. They will realize if they want to change someones behavior for the good they can only do it through being loving to them. Don't try and change them through fear, that will only spread fear and thus war. Why is war began in the first place? Fear. If there was no fear then there would be no reason for war or sadness or anything. Nobody would fear being poor or having no power over other people. Nobody would fear death... "To fear death, is to fear life"

"Wisdom is knowledge applied. We are ignoring wisdom in favour of knowledge. We are teaching young minds what to think, not how to think. Let the child discover for itself. Knowledge is lost. Wisdom is never forgotten. Children are taught to remember facts and the fictions each society has set up about itself, rather than given the ability to discover and create their own truths. What about the basic facts of life, like how the body functions, or about AIDS, etc." - CWG

Peace.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Hitler was a Christian...

Terrorists kill people in the name of God all the time...

Crazy people always say God told them to do it.

I read that on a a YaBB forum a friend of mine belongs to.

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

Originally posted by Vergeltung

Originally posted by shae

Wow, thats wild Kimmar, good for you for not completely wigging out on her though.
    I can't imagine having such close minded parents, certainly it's their right to raise their children as they would like but can you imagine... ?
    My parents were so big on getting everyone's view point, they taught my siblings and I that our personal beliefs were a small part of a much greater sum, if we wanted respected for what we believed in, we would have to show the same towards others.
    We were encouraged to ask questions, get other peoples oppinions, read, watch and take in information that quite often contradicted what we were taught, how else would we learn about the rest of the planet ? 
    I like to think thats why we (my family) turned out so different, I have siblings in the military, I have some that are the quintessential familial suburbanites, a couple of hippies in there and then of course me which I've yet to catagorize (I have 9 siblings btw).
    Anyways, point being, I just can't imagine haven grown up so limited, or if I ever have children myself, limiting them to such a degree. There are so many amazing and beautiful things in the world. It's almost sad in a way.

it must be hard having family discussions on politics and stuff, if some of your family are military buffs, some are hippies, and other such different walks of life....

I don't think of it as being hard at all, it was interesting certainly and very often heated, heh, still is sometimes to be honest.

But we were taught that there is an entire world out there that we had no idea about, that we were completely ignorant of just simply by way of human nature and this exists even within our family. So we learned growing up that it was possible to hear someone out, appreciate their point of view and try to see it from that perspective but still have a completely different and indepent way of looking at whatever the topic was.

One of my fathers favorite things to do at the diner table when we were kids was throwing ideas and topics at all of us and seeing us take sides and positions and argue reasonably until we were quite literaly blue in the face.

It was alot of fun and when you see me get all crazy and heated on the forums sometimes Verg, thats where it comes from

• VercadesVercades Member Posts: 1,065

Originally posted by kimmar

Originally posted by Vercades
    Subjective material begats subjective material. *shrugs*

Okay, first off, I'm a girl. 
    That's why I said, my husband.  

Second, how is what I wrote subjective?  I repeated exactly the conversation.  Verbatim.

I think you're using the 'subjective' thing as a cop out.  If not, then explain to me how I could have been less subjective.

Gender doesn't really have a purpose but, if you want to to correct me go right ahead. 

Subjective is something that relies on another to exist.  Your thoughts on this other woman's idea's of raising a child relies on that woman.  She's not here and she's not posting.  So, all this discussion is, not really going anywhere except in the direction you want.

It's not a cop out it's just the reality of the situation.

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by SobaMan

No he wasn't...

• @Large@Large Member Posts: 101
     I know what the kid will be.  Confused.
    He will turn out to be a raging pussy for the rest of his life.  People like me will take advantage of him in the workplace because he is so clueless when it comes to real life issues.  He will probably eventually end up committing suicide because his life sucks so much but nobody will care.  His mother should be dragged into the streets and shot in the head for being so fucking stupid!

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by @Large
    He will turn out to be a raging pussy for the rest of his life.  People like me will take advantage of him in the workplace because he is so clueless when it comes to real life issues.  He will probably eventually end up committing suicide because his life sucks so much but nobody will care.  His mother should be dragged into the streets and shot in the head for being so fucking stupid!

I see your mother did a real bangup job raising you...

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

Yeah, she did....
    My mother never sheltered me from the truth.  She never tried to hide something from me or lie to me.... which this mother is doing.  You want to be a religious fanatic waste of life, don't drag your children down with you.  This kid is done for before he's even started.  I don't care if you don't agree with me, it's the cold hard truth.  You put this kid out into the real world after being sheltered by his mother all his life.  You see what happens to the little bastard.

Yeah, I know your kind @large, I was like you for some time still kind of am. 

But aside from that, if you went to see a mother to tell her, her son is dead how would you do it?  Could you?

Yeah, she did....

Ahh yes...Teaching you to never take advantage of people to further your own selfish goals, while in the interim fulfilling some obvious need to feel superior...

People like me will take advantage of him in the workplace because he is so clueless when it comes to real life issues. 

Teaching you to be empathic and respectful...

He will probably eventually end up committing suicide because his life sucks so much but nobody will care. 

Teaching you to be tactful, respectful, and most undoubtedly loving and peaceful...

His mother should be dragged into the streets and shot in the head for being so fucking stupid!

And of course, respecting a persons decision to teach their children in a sheltered, even though somewhat unorthedox and extreme enviroment(hey...Afterall. The norm way of teaching children seems to of really created a generation of standup citizens!)...

My mother never sheltered me from the truth. She never tried to hide something from me or lie to me.... which this mother is doing.  You want to be a religious fanatic waste of life, don't drag your children down with you.  This kid is done for before he's even started.  I don't care if you don't agree with me, it's the cold hard truth.  You put this kid out into the real world after being sheltered by his mother all his life.  You see what happens to the little bastard.

Yah, you seem like a real great guy...

Ahh yes...Teaching you to never take advantage of people to further
    your own selfish goals, while in the interim fulfilling some obvious
    need to feel superior...
    Like I said moron..... Real life issues.... You don't like people taking advantage of you.  Tough shit, it happens all the time! Maybe you could cry about it in grammar school where a teacher or your mother would take care of you.... not anymore.

Teaching you to be empathic and respectful...
    Oh, so religion is the only way to be taught respect?  I know your type.... your way or it's wrong.

Teaching you to be tactful, respectful, and most undoubtedly loving and peaceful...
    You make no valid argument here.  You're saying without religion people can't be loving or peaceful... or that's at least what you're implying!

And of course, respecting a persons decision to teach their children in
    a sheltered, even though somewhat unorthedox and extreme enviroment...
    You don't like someone's decision... You don't agree with it... How can you call that respecting their decision.  You say so right there, you don't respect it.  You give them enough room and you stay away from them so they can do their own thing but don't give me that crock of shit that you respect it.

Yah, you seem like a real great guy...
    I don't care what I seem like to you.  I'm talking about some psychotic mother that is ruining someone's life.  You are here trying to argue with me, belittle me, or make yourself feel or look good.  If you are so god damn great and all knowing, why do you care what the hell I think.  I must be getting under your skin or make some valid point or else you wouldn't bother right?  You are a joke.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

Originally posted by SobaMan

No he wasn't...

Both of you have some truth in what you say. He was raised as a Catholic. Later he moved away from going to church and so. He was deeply religious and deeply anit-christian/catholic. He believed in a God, but he viewed Christianity as a corruption of what Jesus originally was. "My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a
    fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by
    a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned
    men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a
    sufferer but as a fighter." He kinda had his own version of christianity. Therefor he is linked to it, but saying he is a christian would inaccurate, just as saying he wasn't. He was something in between I'd say. That was abit off topic, oops 

Back on topic. I think home schooling is bad idea. You can argue how good the quality of education in public schools is. A private school usually beats it. But again private schools cost alot of money. But one thing that private school and home schooling can't offer. Is the diversity in public schools. Here you meet kids have been raised differently, kids that believe in something else and kids that are different. That is of immense value. I think all kids should learn all the "options" and then the parents can guide the kid based on their beliefs. But in a way that when the kid is old enough he can decide for himself.

I myself was raised by a non religious father and a mother that believed there is something more out there. In school I learned the scientific explanation of "everything", alongside the explanation of all the biggest religions in the world, speckled with subjects like "social study", comments from teachers on all sides of political and religious beliefs. And I think it has given me a wonderful base to build my own beliefs on.

Originally posted by @Large Like I said moron..... Real life issues.... You don't like people taking advantage of you. Tough shit, it happens all the time! Maybe you could cry about it in grammar school where a teacher or your mother would take care of you.... not anymore.
      Wow...Name calling now, eh? Oh, and this was never about him being taken advantage of because of his naivety. This was the point that you said people like you, would do it. Which scathingly points out that you are of someone with fallible ethics; such a thing being proven inadvertently by stating that someone of your ilk would kick someone down when you're in a position to do so.Oh, so religion is the only way to be taught respect? I know your type.... your way or it's wrong.
      What? I never even mentioned religion. I was just making the facetious statement(s) that you're an immature punk.You make no valid argument here. You're saying without religion people can't be loving or peaceful... or that's at least what you're implying!
      I am under the impression that you may need visual assistance...You don't like someone's decision... You don't agree with it... How can you call that respecting their decision. You say so right there, you don't respect it. You give them enough room and you stay away from them so they can do their own thing but don't give me that crock of shit that you respect it.
      Disagreeing with someone and saying they should be taken into the street and shot are two completely different things...I don't care what I seem like to you. I'm talking about some psychotic mother that is ruining someone's life. You are here trying to argue with me, belittle me, or make yourself feel or look good. If you are so god damn great and all knowing, why do you care what the hell I think. I must be getting under your skin or make some valid point or else you wouldn't bother right? You are a joke.

Why do I care what you think..? I suppose it comes down to the fact that I was trying to show you how asinine and immature you were coming across, maybe show you the error of your ways, so to speak. But I now truely understand that you are just an angry, and immature young man, that needs a scapegoat to point his wrath against; and until you decide to have a maturity to accompany your age, there really is no point in argueing with you, for logic has no bearing on an angry mind.

Was fun... die soon. Bye.

Yeah, I got bored of it too.
  • kimmarkimmar Member Posts: 446

You should see a doc.  Because as much potential as this kid has to have problems later on in life, you're having them right now. 
    If you ever tried anything like what you're describing on this kid then I, along with anyone else with any heart, would be there to protect him.  
    And as much as I disagree with his mother, she has every right to raise her children as she sees fit.  Making comments about shooting people in the head is something you should reflect on.  Maybe you were raised in household worse than this kid is in.  At least he's not talking about committing violence and homicide.
    And I don't think his life could suck nearly as bad as yours right now.  I would be really scared for myself if I were you.  I know there is a sense of anonymity on forums and people say some pretty bad stuff, but you're sitting on the top of that pile right now.

=============================
    It all seems so stupid
    It makes me want to give up
    But why should I give up
    When it all seems so stupid

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670
    I don't find this funny...  I find it sad...

This is the reason we have idiots like Jack Thompson and Fred Phelps in America.  Intolerant people, raised by intolerant people who will raise little intolerants of their own.  People like that should not be allowed to breed.

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!