Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft's Project xCloud Will Let You Play All Your Games on All Your Platforms - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMicrosoft's Project xCloud Will Let You Play All Your Games on All Your Platforms - MMORPG.com News

Microsoft has energized the gaming world today with its announcement of Project xCloud, a new service "where you are empowered to play the games you want, with the people you want, whenever you want, wherever you are, and on any device of your choosing". In concrete terms, that means, you can play, for instance, Sea of Thieves on XBox One, PC or on your phone.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,515
    If there is one thing Microsoft does not know how to do: Its a commercial....cringe as F***ck

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Does this mean I can play State of Decay 2 on Win 7?
    SullieLore
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • jarsku85jarsku85 Member UncommonPosts: 84

Grunty said:

Does this mean I can play State of Decay 2 on Win 7?

You know MS... It makes these shiny features for their latest OS.
    SignexGdemami
  • SiysrrilSiysrril Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Well shit, it's happening faster than I thought. who could be the next big one to announce a similar project?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If your complaints about gaming today is that the games cost too little money, the graphics look too good, and the games run and handle too smoothly, then this project is for you.
    [Deleted User]KyleranacidbloodTacticalZombehinfomatzPhryMustikos
  • bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    SO I can play XBOX game on my Switch and PS4 now?? WOOOT. Can't wait to play on ANY DEVICES!!!
    ShadowStyleBinfomatz
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The "commercial" was fine. Looked to me like it came from the convention itself, didn't watch so I don't know.

This type of service is the future and has been for a long time. It wont satisfy everyone and the internet is most areas obviously still need massive improvement, but that's coming along at rates never seen before as well. With 5g (a laugh at the moment) on the way, SpaceX and Virgin or Amazon (can't recall which) pushing for low orbit satellite internet, it's all coming together nicely..

I need a development computer, so I can't just yet remove my need for performance locally, but damn I'd love to pick up a laptop or convertible based on it's looks and still get what I need done.

Always fascinating to see more advancements. Can't wait to test it out.
    SBFordSovrath
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Torval said:
    Quizzical said:
    If your complaints about gaming today is that the games cost too little money, the graphics look too good, and the games run and handle too smoothly, then this project is for you.
    Haha, we've moved from, "This will never work." to, "But it would have looked so much better if you would only have run it on..." You're getting there.
    My argument has never been that it cannot be made to work at all.  Rather, it has always been that to get a given quality of game experience will always cost more to stream from the cloud than to render it locally.

If they make it so that people who already have an Xbox One can stream the game from their console to other devices over a LAN, that could be more interesting and could work better, as that could offer much lower latency and far more bandwidth.  But over the public Internet to a server hundreds of miles away?  No.
    XingbairongGorwe
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I use my PS4 for Netflix/Prime only.  If I'm going to game, I prefer to do so in a comfortable, purpose-built chair in front of a powerful gaming rig that I can finely customize both with regards to hardware and in-game settings.

This just does nothing for me.
    Asm0deusTacticalZombehSolancer

• LililuneLililune Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Nice...I'll be able to play Microsoft games on my Linux?
    AWESOME XD
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Their whole "Play Anywhere" concept which they launched a few years ago has been an utter disaster for me. Tried a few titles but ALWAYS ran into problems. Re-install, you do not have access, files corrupt...

Lets hope this works better. It should solve most of those problems I listed but will probably introduce a whole new slew of issues.
    KyleranConstantineMerusMikehaSamhaelinfomatz

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    They really should have clarified in the commercial and on their website. They know full well that no one is playing any of their MS games on a Switch or PS4.
    ServingSizeinfomatz

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited October 2018
    They really should have clarified in the commercial and on their website. They know full well that no one is playing any of their MS games on a Switch or PS4.
    It's Play Anywhere*, guy!!!

*some restrictions may apply.  Visit store for details.
    maskedweaselQuizzicalSamhaellaserit

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

It's Play Anywhere*, guy!!!

*some restrictions may apply.  Visit store for details.

I knew it they just wanted me to visit the store. Those store clicks.
    MadFrenchieServingSize

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100

Play anywhere, Anytime, on ALL DEVICES!!! Can't wait for this on my SWITCH and PS4 . YEEEEEEEEEEEES
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Right now in the SONY Tower of Despair the evil geniuses are probably hard at work coming up with ways to thwart this.
    maskedweaselShadowStyleB

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Is this part of the takeover that Epic Games owner was talking about?
    Trying to get every single developer to pay Microsoft for each and every game.
    I do applaud the ability to play a mobile game on PC,but that i got to see to believe it,what screen size,quality of graphics etc etc.
    Reading it over doesn't sound like they are trying too hard,enabling it for Xbox,well yeah that is THEIR own console.
    If they instead already put in some backwards compatible effort for other known popular devices then we could say they are serious about WE the gamer,this instead looks like all in for Microsoft.

Devs have already been able to utilize Microsoft,they can make their games for multiple devices if they choose to do so,so yeah again this looks they are trying to reel ev1 into an all Microsoft takeover>>>>MONOPOLY.Microsoft has already been sued at least once for trying to run a monopoly,here we go again.

marketing 101 >>"puts YOU in the center"a well known word in psychology,the word YOU is considered the most powerful word on the planet.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is ONLY one positive and that is to say "i don't have to buy a game multiple times for multiple devices".Well why did you go out and buy multiple devices in the first place and since you did,well then what is the difference,are you going to toss away all your devices now to support ONLY Microsoft?
    WHY would you want to bu ya game multiple times anyhow?If you feel the need to play a game on a different device then guess what,buy it for that device.

As i mentioned,we need to see the QUALITY of this cloud gaming.If for example a mobile game still looks like a mobile game,well what is the purpose,i mean not like ev1 is going to start throwing away their phones.
    There is actual ya much bigger problem with a monopoly,imagine they hook ev1 in so now they profit from every single game on the market.Ok well once they have ev1 hooked in now what,monthly costs leading to even bigger ones?We all know how bills escalate...gas prices,it is a slow grind until the cost is ridiculous.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Right now in the SONY Tower of Despair the evil geniuses are probably hard at work coming up with ways to thwart this.
    It's better to reign in hell than serve in heaven baby! ;)
    KyleranMrMelGibsonlaseritPhrySal1ShadowStyleB
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Wizardry said:
    There is ONLY one positive and that is to say "i don't have to buy a game multiple times for multiple devices".Well why did you go out and buy multiple devices in the first place and since you did,well then what is the difference,are you going to toss away all your devices now to support ONLY Microsoft?
    WHY would you want to bu ya game multiple times anyhow?If you feel the need to play a game on a different device then guess what,buy it for that device.

As i mentioned,we need to see the QUALITY of this cloud gaming.If for example a mobile game still looks like a mobile game,well what is the purpose,i mean not like ev1 is going to start throwing away their phones.
    There is actual ya much bigger problem with a monopoly,imagine they hook ev1 in so now they profit from every single game on the market.Ok well once they have ev1 hooked in now what,monthly costs leading to even bigger ones?We all know how bills escalate...gas prices,it is a slow grind until the cost is ridiculous.

There are a lot of reasons especially in the mobile space.

For example, not all devices are created equal.  You may be sitting here with a phone from 4 years ago that struggles to play your favorite game.  You could have a phone so old that it can't get updates. 

Samsung is notorious for basically dropping updates for phones after about 3 years, maybe you're one of those that wants to play the newest game that is only available for the newest Android/iPhone.

Quality matters, sure, but GeForce Now can stream games in 4k, with relatively low latency, and considering that most of us who play MMOs already deal with that kind of latency, I think a lot of people are throwing this out of proportion on performance.

Not to say that there won't be areas where performance is an issue, but in time, it could be substantially less so with direct streaming.  Even with a local streaming service that downloads the "cloud app" that gives you access to the game cross platform through some type of emulation, or just authorizes the user to download games from the cloud on that device, it's still a CLOUD SERVICE, which means, there will probably be safeguards in place to prevent people from taking these games offline indefinitely. 

In the future I can see 60 dollars a month that you would normally pay for a single game, be spread across several different services... right now the cost of usage is kind of low, but as more platforms push for the new games and exclusives to be on their service... prices will start to creep up. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Interesting the stream talks about most of the comments above. Not just e.g. latency and game quality but the fact that e.g. even 5G might struggle and its not deployed worldwide yet. They also specifically say that a console backed maybe by multi-channel surround sound will still provide a premium fidelity experience. Basically this is not aimed - directly - at existing console (and by extension PC) users.

What they go on to say - essentially addressing why they are doing this - is that there are a lot of people in the world who don't own a console; have never experienced e.g. Halo. They don't say people who just have a phone but its sort of implied. And they believe its a big market. 

There is some other stuff as well but they represent the key points.

I think this is MS looking forward to a time when TVs perhaps might be powerful enough to run games; when the market for consoles and PCs is no more. Not today obviously but if you start to look 5 or 10 years ahead .... which big companies do. 

And I am sure developers will be happy with anything that allows them to tap into a larger market. That said mobile is huge. So maybe its a case of making it easier for PC and console titles to access the bigger mobile market.
    maskedweasel
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    The only cloud gaming service i've tested is GeForce Now and it works incredibly well! Depending on the servers, lag feels like having vsync on.
    gervaise1
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    I predict that eventually after all of the bugs have been sprayed out of this project and it's working properly, no more fights about which device is superior will occur ever again because eventually all of the consoles and pcs will reach a technological level in which you cannot tell a difference between the three.
  • KezBotKezBot Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Hmmmm..... Any comments from NVIDIA on this announcement?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    LOL! "When I am gaming, and my son enters the room and wants to play . . now I can leave and play somewhere else!" Love it!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!