Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How will you play ?

For me: 
I have to ask myself, how do you win an mmorpg ?..... My answer to this, a long friends list, a good guild, and can I be of service to others.  Speaking of contradicting myself with my personality here on this site :) ….. Well, I'm sorry about my behavior here.  I extremely passionate about the definition of an mmorpg. 

I love people, 
At least in the safety of my own home.  In real life I have to deal with a lot of people, I have a lot of friends and can be very social.  But somehow it's different when playing a community mmorpg.  The best way to describe it is "safety of my own home".  This makes it sound like I'm an outcast, I'm not I just like an alternate escape.... Your probably are asking yourself, why am I talking this crap ?

Well, I'm 85% sure you could understand,
The non-gamers cant relate, they haven't found this escape, we have..... I'm not sure if its healthy, but its what we do.  Newer Online games can't fill this itch. 

How I'll play ? 
I want to be level one for a week, I'm exaggerating but not by much.  I want to understand the UI and every box that comes along with it.  Spells and abilities are accumulative in a game where their IMPORTANT.  I've been doing KungFu for 28 years, the instructor tells everyone to learn the stances and study them for a long time before you move on, If not they will never be strong.  Very few take this advice, they want to learn the "kill move" the first day therefore they usually suck for ever.  With this, a good foundation for reaction time later on.  Pantheon is KungFu! 

I want to be level two for a week, I'll study the chat and start making friends, again exaggerating but take my time and get "that feeling of what's truly going on" and learn how to co-exist in a new virtual world.  Take in the sights and bask in it's goodness and see what every NPC in the starting zone has to say.  It maybe my first to study the lore, never really did that. 

In Vanilla WoW, I stayed in the Elf island for a long time.  I found like minded players and made friends with them, we must have ran Ban'ethil Hollow ten times and never got sick of it, was a sad time when I had to leave Teldrassil Island.  This will be my life in Pantheon.  

The rest is a mystery 
ConstantineMerusdeniterperrin82Brizlyn

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited October 2018
    You love people? You're the only person here who hates people more than me. I guess I can start saying that too then. 

I really do relate with your definition of winning an MMORPG. I guess in the long run, it's not about the game, but the players. And since I had lost my crew I have stopped playing MMOs. Although you need a meaningful world to be able to form and maintain relationships. We bind through our joy and suffering, not shallow fun. I hope Pantheon would bring that platform. 

Thank you for this post. I enjoyed reading it. Cheers mate. 

PS. Kung Fu black belt here, 31 years and counting. 
    delete5230XarkoBeezerbeezKyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I completely agree about the levels and pacing.  One of the nice things about older games was that that stuff took time and wasn't just a rush to max level in a week and "finish" the game.

However, something to keep in mind:  In a game with levels and slow paced levelling, those levels tend to carry more power for each +1.  So, the cooperability gap between a low- and high-level will probably be massive.

Your Kung Fu analogy is actually a really great one, in this case.  A master of martial arts(max level player) is way more powerful/capable than a newbie.

The difference in MMOs, though, is that there aren't unlimited classes and instructors available for newbies coming in.
    The slower-paced and wider-gapped the levelling system is, the more top-heavy the game will become down the road. 
    Which, of course, means that newbies coming in will be in an empty classroom trying to learn from diagrams in a picture book rather than instructors and classmates.

Assuming Pantheon keeps that Prodigy system or whatever it was called, maybe that'll help a bit?  But, if levelling was as slow as you are talking, then most people probably wouldn't use it.

"Hard" level systems always create a massive vacuum for players late to the party.  That's why we see these newer games using level-scaling and doing away with levels to a large degree.  Even though I think level-scaling is dumbest thing ever, it's better for a game than massive power gaps.
    Note: By hard I am referring to levels carrying a massive power jump.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

However, something to keep in mind:  In a game with levels and slow paced levelling, those levels tend to carry more power for each +1.  So, the cooperability gap between a low- and high-level will probably be massive.

"Hard" level systems always create a massive vacuum for players late to the party.  That's why we see these newer games using level-scaling and doing away with levels to a large degree.  Even though I think level-scaling is dumbest thing ever, it's better for a game than massive power gaps.
    This is a powerful topic within itself....Slow pace leveling and power gaps. 

Things like Mega servers absolutely destroy the root foundation of what an mmorpg is "community"......Level scaling is arguably a close second.  As painful as power gaps are, Mega Servers are not the answer.  Same with cross realm LFG. 

Would you like real life as a multi universe where some friends are in one and others are in another ?

Traditional combining servers is truly the only answer to keep community.
    t0nyd said:
    I will hop characters in an attempt to figure out what I enjoy playing. Once I create a few characters that I like, I will slowly level each of them up, switching characters based upon my mood. I will continue leveling until I find something that I simply do not enjoy. Like if I come to the conclusion that every "insert class" is the same, I will bounce.

I look at my class decision like this:  
    Tank, Dps, Caster, Healer this is my big decision.  Once I establish this, I'm confidant I'll get it right the first time.  I'll make it a point to play only one character unless unforeseen circumstance's arise. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The title is assuming we will buy and play the game already no matter what state it releases in.
    FAR from the truth,i will only be playing if the game is any good,no other option.
    If i see way out of line incentives to buy in early and get huge perks over other more sensible customers,then that will likely keep me away as well.

I want to support legit businesses and legit games keep any kind of gimmicks away from me.I want to see a game that is fair 100% the same for each and every player,no exceptions.That also means NO CASH SHOP.
    Alpius

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    I'll try out a few different classes in alpha. Learn the ropes, report bugs, but not play too much so the game is still fresh come launch. 

Launch, I'll join the FFA PvP server or closest one too it. Probably play a Ranger, unless I find another class I liked better in alpha. I'll rely mostly on PUGs for leveling. Join a neutral guild to help survive PvP. Once I get to max level (or sooner), I'll re-evaluate the guild I joined and see if it's the best fit for me. If not, I'll join a different one, probably an "evil" PvP guild. 

I'm getting excited just thinking about this!
    --------------------------------------------
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    For me:
    How I'll play ? 
    I want to be level one for a week, I'm exaggerating but not by much.
    That brings up another topic.  Nowadays, in most games, you are level 2 before you even start the game.  Usually, there's some tutorial that gives you a free level or two during/upon completion.

Has there been any official comment on whether or not they plan to have some kind of tutorial instance/zone/area/intro?
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    I will play just like I did in EQ. I make a character go out and start the adventure and see where it leads me. I have no plans to min/max my character, get to max level as fast as I can or anything like that.
    In EQ, I quickly ended up in a static style group as that just the way things went. 
    I leveled fast as I guess my static group was good and as a result ended up raiding a lot as their was not much else to do. I did not plan to level to level fast in it and will not plan to in this game.
     I really hope they get the bard class in as that is my preferred class. If no bard then I not sure what class I will chose. Maybe something like a Dire lord as they seem interesting or maybe a druid.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Things like Mega servers absolutely destroy the root foundation of what an mmorpg is "community"......Level scaling is arguably a close second.  As painful as power gaps are, Mega Servers are not the answer.  Same with cross realm LFG. 

Wtf is happening??!! I am agreeing with you...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scorchien
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If I've enjoyed myself and feel like I've gotten my monies worth, then I count that MMO as a win.  Sometimes for me that may mean not even getting to max level or it may mean leveling every class to max, it depends on the dynamics of the game as I play the game within the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Seek professional medical help.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited October 2018
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I know I'm agreeing with you.  

Reading this better in the morning to see what went wrong.  I should have started this with
     "I agree".  

Sorry for the mis communication on my part Lahnmir :(
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    lahnmir
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I will play Pantheon the same way I play every game. Taking my time. No hurry. Making new friends as I go. Exploring. Learning how to play the game and my class.

I will not be trying to have the best gear, but I will be trying for my gear not to suck. :open_mouth: 

The best part comes when I have an established group of friends, such as in a guild, where the highlight of the evening is me logging on and having them all say "Hey, Amathe [or whomever]. What's up?" And them being glad to see me. 
    delete5230ConstantineMerus

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I expect Pantheon to be the same as most MMORPGs: reaching maxlevel is the first step of the journey, and after that the phase to get the best gear starts.
    Wellspring
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I expect Pantheon to be the same as most MMORPGs: reaching maxlevel is the first step of the journey, and after that the phase to get the best gear starts.
    Sad isn't it and likely true.
    This is why a design like FFXI's sub class system,gave players years of just combining and leveling classes and gave you a lot of versatility towards your character.WE coule literally play for 5+ years never worrying about gear or end game,just have fun with your class setups and kill stuff with friends,no stress,no instance/dungeons.
    Now if Pantheon doesn't have any housing,it will actually be a step backwards from EQ2.I it does food the same way it did with the EQ series and Vanguard,it will be a BAD decision.If it does aggro systems the same way,another step backwards.
    I do not accept mediocre nor moving backwards,i want to see a NEW and improved mmorpg.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I usually play classes that are easier to solo.  My wife's health is not so good, so I often have to get up from my game and go help her.  Teammates will probably understand, for a while... but once this situation drains too much fun out of the team, I have to quit.  I will do group content and such, and I really like it.  But I have to wait for days that my wife is doing better.  The rest of the time I solo to level.  Paladins are ideal for me, since they have high survivability and have solid roles in most teams, whether it is Tank, off-tank or off-healer.
    Wellspring

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• Cuppett5Cuppett5 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    The question is, will we ever play?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited December 2018
    You love people? You're the only person here who hates people more than me. I guess I can start saying that too then. 

I really do relate with your definition of winning an MMORPG. I guess in the long run, it's not about the game, but the players. And since I had lost my crew I have stopped playing MMOs. Although you need a meaningful world to be able to form and maintain relationships. We bind through our joy and suffering, not shallow fun. I hope Pantheon would bring that platform. 

Concealed weapons permit holder, over 20 years and still shooting straight. 

;)

WellspringConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Cuppett5 said:
    The question is, will we ever play?
    Not will, but when...
    edited December 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)

Doing Martial Arts for so long, I've gotten the Indiana Jones sword thing thrown in my face so many times I can't even count.... It's like the number one thing people like to say.

And as far as having a gun... People tend to think Martial Arts people automatically DON'T own guns.  I have a pile of them all over the house :) 

Last people tend to think you should have lightning fast reflects like the movies (you should)...... But in real life, you should expect to take a good punch to the jaw before the fight often begins.  Their are little tricks to potentially avoid this but I'ts a small rule you can expect. 
  • Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    DMKano said:
    Same way I play any MMO game.

Min/max with my guild, chew through content as fast as possible to get to max level and then work on end game gear.

We already have group roles figured out - as we've been playing MMOs together for over 15 years now.

Crush. Kill. Destroy. 

Basically our idea is simple - dont waste time on any gear that is not end game, and while leveling up only use gear that is adequate to complete the content until max level.

Depending on how well the end game holds up, keep playing or shelf it until more end game content gets added.

All depends on quality of the game in the end, and quality of end game content - if there are major game breaking bugs and tech issues along the way - could end up in the trash bin before we ever get to end game

It's all in the hands of devs at VR - hope they make a good game.
    @DMKano this is just about entirely opposite of the way I play.  I am curious - really just curious since I don't play this way.

How long does it take your group to get to top level and consume the end game?  The games I can probably relate to most would be EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, and SWTOR.  Also, which games were good enough to come back for when they released more end game content?

Thanks!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Scott23 said:
    DMKano said:
    Same way I play any MMO game.

Min/max with my guild, chew through content as fast as possible to get to max level and then work on end game gear.

We already have group roles figured out - as we've been playing MMOs together for over 15 years now.

Crush. Kill. Destroy. 

Basically our idea is simple - dont waste time on any gear that is not end game, and while leveling up only use gear that is adequate to complete the content until max level.

Depending on how well the end game holds up, keep playing or shelf it until more end game content gets added.

All depends on quality of the game in the end, and quality of end game content - if there are major game breaking bugs and tech issues along the way - could end up in the trash bin before we ever get to end game

It's all in the hands of devs at VR - hope they make a good game.
    @DMKano this is just about entirely opposite of the way I play.  I am curious - really just curious since I don't play this way.

How long does it take your group to get to top level and consume the end game?  The games I can probably relate to most would be EQ, EQ2, Vanguard, and SWTOR.  Also, which games were good enough to come back for when they released more end game content?

Thanks!
    Manos group is the ultimate progression team (with like minded friends) as far as I can tell, which I can well understand as character progression is my primary pillar when playing MMOs, everything else is secondary. 

I just don't do the friend thing so much.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

If the game is designed around levels, I will probably skip it.
    Then I guess you'll probably be skipping it. 
    [Deleted User]svanndcutbi001
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Have not been researching enough about the game but little i've seen looks promising. A tank of some kind who also plays decent solo.
    Because og sickness my days vary wildly. So ill tank som pugs and join a relaxed social guild. 

As a 55 year old Danish Raidleader once told me .I'm too old to rush. And as I age. 40 now, I tend to agree
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

;)

I'll see you at high noon, father! Also, bring your little friend. ;)
    delete5230
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung