Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pokemon Go Players Invited to Celebrate the Rivers, Trails & National Parks in the US - MMORPG.com

ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
edited October 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePokemon Go Players Invited to Celebrate the Rivers, Trails & National Parks in the US - MMORPG.com

North American Pokemon Go players are invited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Lyndon Johnson's National Trails and Wild & Scenic Rivers acts. During the event, players are encouraged to explore "as many rivers and trails as possible". The goal is to have players travel as many of the more than 12,000 miles of protected riverways in the United States.

Read the full story here

trix

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I have to admit that this is pretty cool. :) $5 donation per postcard is fantastic. :) I'm all for anything that benefits the National Parks!
    trixColNaughtZenJelly

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
      Its all Fun and Pokemon , till you get eaten by a Grizzly....:)
    trixSBFordArskaaaManWithNoTan
  • stebo104stebo104 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    i'm guessing niantic does not realize (or forgot) how people are when playing pokemon go, they are all too focused on the screen and will not "look aroud" like they want the players to do, and end up falling in to the rivers
    trixColNaughtZenJelly
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    stebo104 said:
    i'm guessing niantic does not realize (or forgot) how people are when playing pokemon go, they are all too focused on the screen and will not "look aroud" like they want the players to do, and end up falling in to the rivers
    oh my god,believe that and WORSE than that,not only focused on the screen,it is like tunnel vision and they don't hear anyone around them,like zoned out mode.
    Encourage people to explore whilst having the pokemon go game/app going?This is really lame imo,if they are going to travel to explore the many parks,i would hope to god it is not for Pokemon Go.
    No they will go about their lives as usual,if so happens they are camping in some park or hiking,they might switch it on to get some reward but in no way at all do i see this encouraging people to change their lives for a game app.Like i said,i would hope to god people don't do ANYTHING based off of a cell phone or game app,already sad seeing people hypnotized by cell phones.
    How about get people to put their cell phones away for a month for starters,see if we can get people less addicted to their over used pile of transistors.

SBFordColNaughtZenJellyMadCoderOnebobbymcswanson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• trixtrix Member UncommonPosts: 66
    edited October 2018

but you have the problem of jerks going out there stomping through everything and littering just to get some pokemon. a high number will have no clue what "Leave No Trace" and "Carry in, Carry out" means...

I agree this is retarded. Lawsuits likely incoming. Does MMORPG staff support everything they are paid to report on?
    SBFordColNaughtZenJellybobbymcswansonManWithNoTan
    LOL L2's new advertisement is wonderful..... 
    Take a step back in time and relive the original Lineage II experience as it was in the beginning. Create a classic hero from the original 5 races and 31 class options and jump into the nostalgic hardcore level grind where the rewards can outweigh the risks. It's your chance to experience the game the way it was when "hardcore" meant something!
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    People on a forum on the internet hating on people going outside in beautiful national parks. MMORPG at its finest. Go outside guys, it's not as scary as you think!
    SBFordZenJellyManWithNoTan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited October 2018
    trix said:

but you have the problem of jerks going out there stomping through everything and littering just to get some pokemon. a high number will have no clue what "Leave No Trace" and "Carry in, Carry out" means...

I agree this is retarded. Lawsuits likely incoming. Does MMORPG staff support everything they are paid to report on?
    Oh for Pete's sake. It's legitimate news from a game company about an event designed to get people out in nature -- something Niantic has  always promoted -- and to earn a few extra bucks for the NPS.

You assume that people who are likely to go out to remote locations are the ones who don't understand nature and how to take care of it. No patch is going to encourage non outdoorsy types to head to the wilderness so I'm pretty sure everything will be A-OK. 

I'm beyond sick and tired of the continued "fake news" about being "paid" to write something. When we are, we mark it. End of story. People who continue to spout this nonsense must believe that if it's said enough and with enough bitter sarcasm behind it, it makes it true. I've got news for you: It doesn't. 
    ColNaughtConstantineMerusZenJellyManWithNoTan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

SBFord said:

trix said:

Oh for Pete's sake. It's legitimate news from a game company about an event designed to get people out in nature -- something Niantic has  always promoted -- and to earn a few extra bucks for the NPS.

You assume that people who are likely to go out to remote locations are the ones who don't understand nature and how to take care of it. The people who aren't likely to show respect are probably not going to go anyway and no stinkin' patch is going to encourage them to. 

I'm beyond sick and tired of the continued "fake news" about being "paid" to write something. When we are, we mark it. End of story. People who continue to spout this nonsense must believe that if it's said enough and with enough bitter sarcasm behind it, it makes it true. I've got news for you: It doesn't. 

ooooof. tell em girl. can i buy you a coffee sometime?
    SBFordColNaughtZenJelly
  • ColNaughtColNaught Member CommonPosts: 2
    Some of the above comments are pretty inaccurate...

I am a longtime Pokémon go player and hiker. I frequently run across others doing the same. We don’t walk around with our faces glued to the screen. Our phones vibrate to alert us that a Pokemon is nearby, which is only a rare occurrence in the areas described. Most of the time, if you walked past me while I was playing while hiking, you would see a hiker picking up trash.

And I am not unique. Without exception, I have found my fellow POGO players to be particularly considerate. Many players, like me, hike trails and take an empty trash bag with us. We have an unofficial rule that “we leave the areas we play in cleaner than we find them”.

I, for example, frequently pack OUT a full bag of trash and recyclesbles on many trips to new trails. I take the bag home, sort out recyclables (recyclable items are typically the vast majority of the trash - drink bottles and cans), and trash the remainder. Our local Kansas City FB page actually coordinates gatherings to do trail and park clean ups, as do most other local groups.

I guarantee that this program is a huge benefit overall to our park system.

Finally, this game has gotten a LOT of normally sedentary people out walking. I know numerous fellow players whose health has dramatically improved from playing it.
    ZenJellymklinicManWithNoTan
  • ColNaughtColNaught Member CommonPosts: 2

“I agree this is retarded.”

It’s 2018. Stop talking like a 10 year old.

I suspect any negative response to this criticism will will include “homo”, “fag”, and / or “bitch”...
    ZenJellyManWithNoTan
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    We're doing extensive research on urban gamification, and Pokemon Go is the best thing ever happened. A person in a park looking at a screen has a better chance of enjoying nature than a person indoors looking at a screen. And PG crowd don't litter more than the average people. 

@SBFord, sometimes ignorance is a choice not to know, and no amount of facts and logic can change that. You shouldn't get sick nor tired since you'll have to deal with this till the end of time. And this is the most hippie thing you'll ever get from me; you're great at your job and I do appreciate what you do. Now I may have had a couple of drinks but that doesn't make this any less true! ;) 
    SBFordZenJellyManWithNoTan
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    People are going to litter and stomp through everything regardless of pokemon.

It's a neat idea.  Seems like launching in summer would have been a better timeframe.  It's starting to get pretty cold out.
    ZenJelly

I've got the straight edge.

• bennylongbennylong Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Outside is scary
    ScorchienConstantineMerus
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    oh deer, how long some kids get killed/r*ped? its not very safe there.
    El-HefeManWithNoTan
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I walked a total of 2400 miles, In the end I just say I'm done. No more.
    ConstantineMerus
  • VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    Game is great Niantic is the worst. Totally forgets that its game is a social game cant be bothered to communicate with them.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

OG_Zorvan said:

You know those really hot springs and geysers that can kill you if you fall in? All the best Pokemon should be in the middle of them.

Yep some of them are actually in the middle of it. I found one in the middle of a active volcano crater, that is WTF moment. I didn't want to go down there to capture it.
    [Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2018
    Sad reality of Pokemon Go?

In the last several months,like the entire summer,i saw many times the Pokemon crowd huddled on the sidewalk or street corners.What i saw was like 90+% adults,i don't mean 21 year olds,i mean in their 40's,collecting Pokemon pixels...yikes.
    Just last night walking the dogs i saw 4 adults huddled together,at least in their 40's.Yes i understand you can say gaming in general should be left to the kids but there are adult games or games can be played in a mature manner.However ,collecting those puny pixels on screen of cheesy looking creatures seems like a very odd hobby for an adult.

I never really thought down on the idea until 2 days in a row i saw a guy walking his nice calm looking dog along my walk.Well what does this guy do he stops and starts searching for Pokemon's,his dog looked sad.Well i come back towards heading home about 15 minutes later,yep dog still sitting there on the sidewalk while dude is searching for Pokemon's.
    To me that is both sad and pathetic,geesh if your walking the dog,that one time a day,give him his walk,you should NEVER be that addicted to a cell phone app ignoring your friendly companion.

ManWithNoTan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bobbymcswansonbobbymcswanson Member UncommonPosts: 204

stebo104 said:

I live out in the woods alone on 20 acre.....I have nice hiking trails and rivers within a 5min walk of me.....I have been playing Pokemon with friends on and around my property since the game started with none of the problems described by you or others....in fact one of my friends was so aware while playing that we found 20lbs of our favorite mushrooms....you think people can't walk and every once in a while glance a screen? Im willing to bet my people have more awareness of our surroundings than yourself because we live and understand what's out here.....

Stay in the city like a stacked rat....the rest of us can and will explore the beautiful rivers and mountains....while playing Pokemon go and smoking a joint if we please....and you my friend can go stuff yerself
    ManWithNoTan
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I use one of those Pokemon Go Plus thingies when I'm out on a walk, so I don't have to look at my phone.