Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Firestick vs. cable

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I have to drop my cable TV, too many commercials and are provider boxes keep overheating. 

Anyway, 
Seems everyone at my work place has Firestick anyway.  I know very little and will start my study. 

Can People give examples of what they subscribe too ? 

Who has Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime ? 
How else do you have programming configured ?

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Yeah I am considering dropping my Directv as well. I agree with the commercials and on several stations that I watch its the same exact commercials every break and even sometimes the same one is played twice in the same break. My box isnt over heating though.

Also they gave me free HBO for 6 months because they couldn't wouldn't give me a better price but I can rarely watch more than 1-2 episodes of a series I like on their ondemand because I get service is unavailable at the moment please try again later but I can immediately go to its ondemand movie section and it works fine. Makes me think they are throttling me on the series ondemand programs.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Ads had me cut the cable, too. I'm done paying for ads. In America, this type of service is usually a monopoly, so cable companies have no incentive to provide good service.

Hulu and Vudu have ads, though I think they have a subscription that gets rid of them (I hope). I am not familiar with Amazon's Firestick, though I imagine it has ads also. Amazon is all about maximizing profits.

Personally, I still have my ISP through my local cable company. For some reason, I still receive basic cable channels through my smart TV, which is good because I live in a rural area where the closest TV towers are 30 to 60 miles away (outdoor antennae solutions). If I lived in a big city, I'd go free local stations all the way.

Games are not the only business that "double dip" these days...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    If you want traditional channel services, then there is Hulu Live TV and SlingTV. Netflix and Amazon are more for specialty shows now. You can still get some traditional TV shows, but they are usually delayed verse Hulu Live TV and SlingTV. YouTube also offers a Live TV service, but I don't think it's very good.
    AlBQuirky
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    I dropped cable about 6 years ago and don't miss it at all.  With a digital antenna I can still pick up broadcast channels for free.  I bought a Roku and have a subscription to Netflix and Amazon Prime.  Plus my DVD collection recently broke 1,000 movies.
    AlBQuirky

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2018
    Cleffy said:
    If you want traditional channel services, then there is Hulu Live TV and SlingTV. Netflix and Amazon are more for specialty shows now. You can still get some traditional TV shows, but they are usually delayed verse Hulu Live TV and SlingTV. YouTube also offers a Live TV service, but I don't think it's very good.
    Hay, thank you !!!! 

Hulu Live TV has most major channels and most important Disney jr. that I was worried about !  $40.. a month and 50 hrs of cloud dvr, with an upgrade for 200 hrs.  This satisfies TV channels for me, now will look into specialized movies however this will have some within the channels. 
    Update: $40+$20=$60 total for 200 hr dvr and unlimited number of TV viewing at same time.

Sling TV not as good, You would have to be more crafty to buy addons to get what you want for the same price.....However not out of the question, just need to study it deeper.   

This is the basic base to canceling cable I was looking for. 
    A little more investigation, a little math to take into account with increasing internet speed... But It looks like a go :)  

The way I see it, and my understanding Firestick, it could be a struggle selecting what to pay for in the beginning.... But once set up AS EASY AS WATCHING TV.
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The Firestick serves it's purpose as a receiver, but it tends to get hot. You can load other applications into Firestick like Netflix or HuluPlus. That is if your TV can't already do this.