Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why some people play MMOs alone

13»

Comments

• H3llsingH3llsing Member UncommonPosts: 11
    DeadSpock said:
    Why even play a mmo if you don't want to deal with others just play single player games. Personally only consider a mmorpg FFXI which at the time 2003+ was forced group game and only reason I still check for new mmorpg is to find that experience again but will never happen so I keep my memories of playing a real mmorpg. I don't dislike single player games by any means but when I want a mmorpg is for team work and the joy it gives even when failing but sure mostly when winning the battles. I love to socialize with other like minded gamers in game chat, voip, but mainly to play together and that's my reason of playing a mmorpg otherwise why play online?
    MMORPG aren't group content anymore. They are solo grinds until endgame then dailies and dungeons until the next expansion.
    DeadSpockcraftseeker
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    I like playing games. But since developers and game companies have made it so that regardless if I want to play alone or with others, I will have to be connected to the internet.. so as I see it.. I am better off playing a Multi-player game, and just solo as my mood strikes me.
    craftseeker
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A Bioware guy talking MMO..haha.

My main complaint on Bioware games is that their MMO's are nothing more than single player games with a login screen.Point  being BIO doesn't make MMO's or good ones.

As to the so called "answer",well there are several reasons.

First of all ig a game caters to a solo player,the game design will be a bad MMO,aka Bioware games.

Now the reasons....

Solo players do not belong in a MMO,why they choose a MMO is beyond me,could be several reasons like game is popular,they like the graphics,the IP could be many reasons.

What i have seen is that a lot of the solo minded players go out and get scripts to run multiple accounts and or multiple players.This tells me something,SELFISH players,i want all the drops loot for myself.They might consider themselves better than others so they rather bot trhan use other real players.

Now an important FACT.It is possible to make a TRUE MMO game while still allowing a player to SOLO.The design stil has to cater to the MMO aspect,so as a solo player it will be more cumbersome/slower but at some point you will need to interact with others even if for only 5% of the time.This again is a SELFISH act,HELP ME when i need it but i won't be around to interact or help others.
    This is my break down of years of PLAYING,perhaps this guy should play more and design less so he can grasp the player base and their personalities.Instead this guy is going off like some wannabe fake Psychiatrist.Fake as in ALL Psychiatrist's are fake,self proclaimed gods.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2018
    The part that BOTHERS me the most about this guys speech is he is putting words into others mouths,saying we call them LOSERS ,NO CLUE yada yada,nobody is saying they are losers and nobody is saying single players games are not cool.
    The ONLY thing we or i would say is that a MMO should be a MMO and NOTHING else.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    H3llsing said:
    For me and my girlfriend... we only play the two of us because there is too much crap dealing with other people. It's always some idiot who doesn't know anything and acts like they do, or a drama filled group that is cussing eachother out and calling eachother noobs. So what reason would we want to group up or socialize with a bunch of idiots?
    Agree
    I only will play with real life friends now. If non play then i solo.
  • MalakhonMalakhon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    It's very simple:
     I want to be in a dynamic world where other people are doing stuff, but i'd like to solo content and enjoy exploring at my own pace.

If I choose to roleplay, PVP or group - it is a choice, not a requirement.
    El-Hefecraftseeker
  • MalakhonMalakhon Member UncommonPosts: 224
    edited October 2018
    I just realized it's even simpler:

The biggest and most realistic MMO is the world around you.

If you want to go outside and interact with it alone, you should be able too.

If you want to "Group up" to go to the mall or work and "Grind" for a paycheck, do that.

Make a game like the world, not an abitrary "you must gather your group to continue" game like a game.
    El-HefeOctagon7711Kyleran
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Can't really think of an MMO I haven't played a majority of the time solo in the last 5 years.  It all boils down to a few simple things for me.  Get tired of the toxic communities, the you have to do it this way crowd, the you can watch cutscenes on youtube even though this is your first time groups, skip all the mobs I just want to get to the endgame groups, or I just want to play and see others around doing stuff but not communicate with them because of my personal mood.  Hell I try and turn chat off in almost any game I play anymore because 9 times out of 10 they are talking about real world issues when I am trying to relax and get away from real world issues. 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    edited October 2018
    To me, a single player game is lonely.  I like to have people around me whether I am playing solo or in a group.   It's good to have options!

Also, When I play an MMO for the first time I like to solo so I can figure out how to play the game so I'm not a liability in groups.
    Ungood

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!