Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE abandons "VoxElyria"

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Lulz.  So it begins.
    Begins?   This has been par for the course since the Kickstarter opened...
    IKR?
    It began this way and it will end this way
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    this site had so much coverage of this game for like 2 years straight.  wall to wall hahah. now its gone. they've moved on to other kickstarters

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562

Slapshot does like to take some out-of-context snippets to (over)sell the drama and stir up the fans, but he's still hitting the Great Wall-sized target.
    I prefer to describe it as encouraging folks on both sides to vigorously participate in debate :)

I would disagree that's what your actually trying to do but everyone is capable of making their own decisions on your motives.

As for Caspian learning something I agree Ky I think this has been a massive learning experience, it was for me... 

Personally if I was to develop a game, I would use in engine assets (free and cheap ones) and try to get as much of the base game working(movement, basic combat etc).
    Then I would go to kick starter and try to get funding to finish the project knowing that as soon as you get some custom assets complete you can get your backers into a pre-alpha
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    AnOldFart said:

Slapshot does like to take some out-of-context snippets to (over)sell the drama and stir up the fans, but he's still hitting the Great Wall-sized target.
    I prefer to describe it as encouraging folks on both sides to vigorously participate in debate :)

I would disagree that's what your actually trying to do but everyone is capable of making their own decisions on your motives.

As for Caspian learning something I agree Ky I think this has been a massive learning experience, it was for me... 

Personally if I was to develop a game, I would use in engine assets (free and cheap ones) and try to get as much of the base game working(movement, basic combat etc).
    Then I would go to kick starter and try to get funding to finish the project knowing that as soon as you get some custom assets complete you can get your backers into a pre-alpha
    My goal has always been to convince those that enable Caspiens tilting at windmills to realize that in the absence of a publisher, THEY have to play the role of adult and actually hold him accountable for doing what he says he will do.  

In in your case, it has worked, to at least a certain extent.

To me there is a very clear way for a developer to behave:

Say what you mean
    Do what you say you will do
    Do it relatively close to when you say you will

When you fail at one of those 3: Be humble and honest and use that failure to learn and not repeat that failure again, and again....

For the most part I think Caspien has actually followed the first rule, but failed miserably at all the others, and those around him simply enable it which is ultimately very bad for everyone.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I'll say it again.
    There is no COE and there never will be.
    I second this
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Trying to read into Caspien imo was at first a bit rough but now easy mode.He is a salesman,was peddling his product,perhaps even to just get it noticed and find a backer/partner who knows the overall scheme but in the end ,just a salesman that had no product for sale just an idea.

How much of a game he has now,well i still figure it can't be good enough,team is too small,everything seems like an angle to gets funds,it does not look like anything promising is going to come of it.

He has some nice ideas for a game,still not quite what i am looking for but close,he just needs more vision and a LOT more money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    AnOldFart said:

I'd say his motives are irrelevant if he's right. Yeah he's on CoE's case like herpes on a medieval hooker, but I can't recall him spreading any false information nor out of place insults. 
    ScorchienMadFrenchieSlapshot1188WellspringGeezerGamerAnOldFartGdemami
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited October 2018
    AnOldFart said:

I'd say his motives are irrelevant if he's right. Yeah he's on CoE's case like herpes on a medieval hooker, but I can't recall him spreading any false information nor out of place insults. 
    Yea, Slap is a pretty smart guy with an even keel when it comes to this stuff , Brings some great insight to the community.. And always has solid info backing up any stance
    Slapshot1188WellspringConstantineMerusGdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    As someone that is a lurker for these forums. Yet someone that has backed CoE, probably more than I should have. Even though not much talking really happens here. I rather like the discussions that does happen. CoE forums have overtime just become an echo chamber. Anytime I share a view, not followed by the majority. It's just smashed into the ground. 

So while people like Slapshot, do at times come across harsh. I would rather that view. Over this magically one that nothing can go wrong that's been shown on CoE forums. I do only wish more people would even be realistic on the forums over there. While discord is if anything even worse. 
    Slapshot1188KyleranScorchien[Deleted User]
    edited October 2018
    AnOldFart said:

I posted that in regards to trying to promote debate. He posts to get answers but the way he posts is usually in a devisive way in order to illicit the most responsive (good or bad).

Whether he is right or not (and I agree he has been right on alot of cases re. Coe, he has also bee wrong on a few occasions).

But the way he posts does not encourage healthy debate and this last point is the most important one when someone claims to be encouraging people on two sides to vigorously debate, mostly because it leads to insults rather than debate. 
    edited October 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:

I posted that in regards to trying to promote debate. He posts to get answers but the way he posts is usually in a devisive way in order to illicit the most responsive (good or bad).

Whether he is right or not (and I agree he has been right on alot of cases re. Coe, he has also bee wrong on a few occasions).

But the way he posts does not encourage healthy debate and this last point is the most important one when someone claims to be encouraging people on two sides to vigorously debate, mostly because it leads to insults rather than debate. 
    Hmm.. not sure what happened to my full post but I’ll try and recreate.

OK that’s teice I’ve typed a response and it was garbled when posting.  I’ll try again later on a computer.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

AnOldFart said:
    AnOldFart said:

Hmm.. not sure what happened to my full post but I’ll try and recreate.

OK that’s teice I’ve typed a response and it was garbled when posting.  I’ll try again later on a computer.
    No problem I have issues with mobile too
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Torrsk said:
    As someone that is a lurker for these forums. Yet someone that has backed CoE, probably more than I should have. Even though not much talking really happens here. I rather like the discussions that does happen. CoE forums have overtime just become an echo chamber. Anytime I share a view, not followed by the majority. It's just smashed into the ground. 

So while people like Slapshot, do at times come across harsh. I would rather that view. Over this magically one that nothing can go wrong that's been shown on CoE forums. I do only wish more people would even be realistic on the forums over there. While discord is if anything even worse. 
    Welcome to the forums,  always great to see people who are active in the COE community join us here for some more open discussions regarding progress on the game.

I am a member of the official forums but the rules there are tough for me to fathom.

I was moderated twice in about 10 posts (I think) so decided it wasn't a place for me.

Also, as a free account there are some annoying restrictions such as being unable to post links which greatly reduced my ability to provide context or confirmation of my points of discussion. 

I hope you will continue to join us from time to time and know that even when some us appear to be at our most contrarian it is never personal.

Gdemami[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:

Welcome to the forums,  always great to see people who are active in the COE community join us here for some more open discussions regarding progress on the game.

I am a member of the official forums but the rules there are tough for me to fathom.

I was moderated twice in about 10 posts (I think) so decided it wasn't a place for me.

Also, as a free account there are some annoying restrictions such as being unable to post links which greatly reduced my ability to provide context or confirmation of my points of discussion. 

I hope you will continue to join us from time to time and know that even when some us appear to be at our most contrarian it is never personal.

I echo this.  @Torrsk please be sure to stick around.  Not just for the CoE forum but all the others.  

Also, please be assured that Caspien and crew read the posts here.  So if you want to make a point but don't want to deal with the Ivory Tower swooping in to "shut you down" this is the place to do so.

Gdemami[Deleted User]

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Torrsk said:
    CoE forums have overtime just become an echo chamber.
    ...as if MMORPG.COM was any different.
    Slapshot1188WellspringIselinJamesGoblinFlyByKnight
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    Now that you've returned, no.

Welcome back.
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    I have not been around long enough to see if that's true. But it really can't be worse. Any update comes out the replies are normally "OMFG this is the best thing ever!!!". That can be said by anything SBS says in general I suppose. Though admittedly I did react the same at some given point.

I am excited to see how map voting rolls out. Well more if it rolls out as well. So used to them missing any dates at this rate. Not that I'm overall liking how it will work either. From the little bits of information I have caught on discord. 
    Torrsk said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    I have not been around long enough to see if that's true. But it really can't be worse. Any update comes out the replies are normally "OMFG this is the best thing ever!!!". That can be said by anything SBS says in general I suppose. Though admittedly I did react the same at some given point.

I am excited to see how map voting rolls out. Well more if it rolls out as well. So used to them missing any dates at this rate. Not that I'm overall liking how it will work either. From the little bits of information I have caught on discord. 
    The map voting, like everything else in game... will cater to the high roller donors.  The amount your vote counts is weighed by the amount of cash you have spent (and subsequent "points" earned).  So literally... one person's vote is worth 1000x another person's.

Wonderful community they are establishing...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Torrsk said:
    But it really can't be worse. 
    It is very much the same, just opposite side of the spectrum: OMFG these devs are the worst idiots ever!!!

Echo chamber of armchair developers...proof is in the pudding, this very thread - sheer ignorance and lack of any critical thinking.

It just likely resonates better with you(some) but bottom line remains the same.
    IselinShaigh
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    I'm sure bumptious knobheads agree with you.
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:
    It is very much the same, just opposite side of the spectrum: OMFG these devs are the worst idiots ever!!!

Echo chamber of armchair developers...proof is in the pudding, this very thread - sheer ignorance and lack of any critical thinking.

It just likely resonates better with you(some) but bottom line remains the same.
    Do provide a counter argument. I am asking sincerely. Because the story is about someone promising X and not delivering it. Yeah maybe predicting such outcome without the science and the full extent knowledge of the project might sound silly. But it already has happened. So I'm not sure what your observation is about. 

We're bunch of gamers talking about games on a gaming forum. Besides some rare cases, no one has claimed otherwise. If you've noticed someone is wrong about something then it is up to you to correct them or not. 

I mean a couple of weeks ago you and I were kinda in the same boat regarding lootboxes and governments and slap was on the other side. I fail to see the echo chamber on these forums besides this thread. There's not much left to say about CoE at least at this stage. And again, if you believe otherwise do tell by all means. 'You're all wrong because you all agree on this subject' is not an argument. 
    GdemamiSlapshot1188InteritusPhry
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:

Sure.. until reality hits and it turns out that the developers could NOT do what they said...

It's like you are divorced from what actually happens, which is that the developers do NOT deliver and the "armchair devs" were correct.

But since this is the CoE thread lets table our "armchair devs" discussion for another thread.

Let's get back to the wallet-weighted map voting!

GdemamiConstantineMerusYashaXKyleran

Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:

Sure.. until reality hits and it turns out that the developers could NOT do what they said...

It's like you are divorced from what actually happens, which is that the developers do NOT deliver and the "armchair devs" were correct.

But since this is the CoE thread lets table our "armchair devs" discussion for another thread.

Surely that should be its own thread in itself
    KyleranPhry
    edited October 2018
    AnOldFart said:
    Gdemami said:
    Torrsk said:

Surely that should be its own thread in itself
    Go for it!  I’ve started 9 of the top 10 threads on this forum.  It’s someone else’s turn.

I'd say hold off on map voting thread until dates and details are published.  (Unless they already are?)