Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why some people play MMOs alone

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    When I go to a sporting event I enjoy being around 93,000 other fans who are also enjoying the game. It makes the experience more vibrant and exciting. That doesn't mean I want to interact with them and hang out with them all of the time.
    KyleranConstantineMerusAlBQuirkycraftseeker

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• BernordBernord Member CommonPosts: 6
    I don't like partying in nay games, because i'm a completionist, i like to explore every corner if the game offers rewards for it. And through my years of gaming i find that there are people who are too emotionally driven, they rush through everything, collect half the stuff, other half they leave.

I don't like rushing, missing half the stuff, solo is usually slower and more experience, but partying is better long-term, sure. That's like the same thing when people boost newcomer friends to max level, and they miss 90% of intended content in the game. >_>
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Forced grouping all available contents is just as lame as making all contents soloable. If you want a world, you need to have both. Your first clue would be the world... you know! 
    I just don't believe in the idea of "forced" anything in games.

Player buys "a game" then they abide by the rules. It's not forced unless someone is "forcing them to purchase the game and to play it."

It's like someone going into a French restaurant and saying "they're forcing me to eat french food!"

Specious out of context argument, likely some sort of Latin named logic fallacy to describe it.

Assuming one desires or decides to play a particular game the concept of "forced" gameplay is relevant and easily understood.

"Just don't play" is a valid recommendation,  but irrelevant to the debate whether something is forced on a player within the context of the game's design.

erm "no"

You play football the tackling isn't forced on you.

you run a triathlon then swimming isn't forced on you.

you play a game that touts group game play then "grouping" isn't forced on you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    When I started playing MMOs, no one I knew played them. Fast forward to now, I'm still the odd man out. Everyone else play PUBG, Fortnite, LoL and so on.

So soloing came kinda by itself. I personally don't like joining random guilds, I need time to get to know someone before deciding on grouping up. Haven't played an mmo since black desert online. The mentality of some people which demands you to be fully focused on the game at all times is not something I seek while playing and relaxing. 

So, I guess that's my reasoning.
    JeffSpicoli

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Forced grouping all available contents is just as lame as making all contents soloable. If you want a world, you need to have both. Your first clue would be the world... you know! 

Player buys "a game" then they abide by the rules. It's not forced unless someone is "forcing them to purchase the game and to play it."

It's like someone going into a French restaurant and saying "they're forcing me to eat french food!"

Specious out of context argument, likely some sort of Latin named logic fallacy to describe it.

Assuming one desires or decides to play a particular game the concept of "forced" gameplay is relevant and easily understood.

"Just don't play" is a valid recommendation,  but irrelevant to the debate whether something is forced on a player within the context of the game's design.

erm "no"

Well Sorvath if you play football , even at the lowest level , (and im assuming you mean American Tackle football) If you dont Tackle you wont playing long as the rest of the Group will send you home ( unless of course you are Tom Brady for ex.. but even then there are time when you may have to demonstrate some attempt at it ..

point is .. No Tackle .. you wont be playing long ..

Same with Triathalon , if swimming is required in the Competion .. YOu must do it ..Or the Group will send you home (disqualified)....

But the last statement is true ..:)
    JeffSpicoli
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited October 2018
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

erm "no"

Clearly a Browns or Jets Fan....

Scorchien
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

erm "no"

Err...yes. Assuming one chooses to participate in any activity something will likely be forced on you. 

As noted, can't really play any form of football without having to tackle.   Triathalon's require one to swim a leg however some video games do permit a player to avoid grouping or PVP.

Though it appears devs favor "forcing" players to pay more money over most any other activity. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

erm "no"

Err...yes. Assuming one chooses to participate in any activity something will likely be forced on you. 

As noted, can't really play any form of football without having to tackle.   Triathalon's require one to swim a leg however some video games do permit a player to avoid grouping or PVP.

Though it appears devs favor "forcing" players to pay more money over most any other activity. 

I don't see how choosing to do something means the activity  you choose is forced.

Let me guess "new math?"
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Playstyles can become forced because initially a player may have had no intention of engaging in that activity.

Take for instance a game that says that you can level anywhere in the game and only if you go to certain zones is there PvP. You can theoretically avoid those zones if you want and only play in the non PvP zones. However they placed certain resources that the player needs and the player is unaware until the player has sunk a large part of their time in the game or is part of a guild and the guild now wants the resources in that zone.

The player though in the beginning when they bought or started playing the game had no intention of engaging in PvP find themselves being killed in these PvP zones they never wanted to play in. They are in effect being forced to experience an aspect of the game they had no intention to experience. Short of leaving the game they have already invested in or leaving their friends they are doing something very much against their will. I have been in this type of situation and considered myself being forced to participate much to my chagrin.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Many play MMOs to just relax and escape all human drama, hence no talking or socializing with other players. 

If you spend all day dealing with people, its nice to escape people after work 

Single player games are better suited to these people. Why play an MMO if you want to avoid people? I only ever solo on an mmo if I can't commit for a long period at a time.

Because sometimes you want to be near people but not talk to anyone. Single player games cant provide that.

Also MMOs have a particular playstyle that single player games dont have - example solo PvP/PK - cant do that in single player games.
    I accept the idea that MMOs have a unique play style that can appeal to you strange solo players but the idea that you want to be near people but not talk to anyone is beyond my comprehension. I hope you are not like that at parties. :D
    Do you live in a city?

I do.

There is a great energy here, a lot of hustle and bustle. But you don't really go out of your way to speak with everyone.
    That's a fascinating perspective, one I had never thought of. But you don't just do that in a city do you? You work with colleagues, party with friends, that is replicated in the full MMO experience. Just one you have to decide to take up, but if that's not for you fine.

But all that still does not mean I get it. :D
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gorwe said:
    I have a simple explanation. There is an IP a person likes. Lets's say LoTR. And that person likes story based RPGs / cRPGs / aRPGs. What are his options to play right now? That's right. He has no choice, but to play LoTR:O. But he plays it mostly for story / immersion / IP / etc. So, he mostly stays solo / in the background. The same applied to Conan and Warhammer Fantasy. No RPGs except MMORPGs.
    That's a fair point, but not totally correct. LotR has a lot of older games (battle for Middle Earth comes to mind) and even some newer titles, like the Shadows of Mordor series. Granted, these games may not be what one is looking for, but the IP is out there.

Conan has "Exiles" (the survival/builder game?), which I believe (not sure) can be played solo. Not much else, though.

Warhammer has a game in the "Total War" series, doesn't it? Again, possibly not what one seeks, but the IP is present.

All in all a very good point. Not all IPs are well represented outside of MMOs. Some MMOs have their own unique IPs, too like EverQuest and Norrath, or Wildstar.
    Gorwe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• XevraXevra Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I prefer to solo mmo's so I can game at my own (slower) pace, yet I also enjoy having other players around to roleplay or chat with.  If an mmo had forced grouping as a feature, I simply would not buy it. 

GorweKyleranAlBQuirky
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I start out with the intention to play duos or trios with friends in MMORPG's, but schedules conflict, and I can't usually invest as much time in gaming as they can (single guys), so they usually have to leave me behind. At this point, they have a few 'play with Gut' throwaway toons set aside...ha

Gut Out!
    Scot

What, me worry?

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Gutlard said:
    I start out with the intention to play duos or trios with friends in MMORPG's, but schedules conflict, and I can't usually invest as much time in gaming as they can (single guys), so they usually have to leave me behind. At this point, they have a few 'play with Gut' throwaway toons set aside...ha

Gut Out!
    At least you get to spend some time grouping with them, its not a competition to always be available. :)
  • wielkipwielkip Member CommonPosts: 13
    If you play in the great game, hard and with a full lot pvp you are unable to play solo. It is too hard do something overpowered without mates.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    wielkip said:
    If you play in the great game, hard and with a full lot pvp you are unable to play solo. It is too hard do something overpowered without mates.
    You might be surprised how many people solo PVP in EVE.
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Xevra said:
    I prefer to solo mmo's so I can game at my own (slower) pace, yet I also enjoy having other players around to roleplay or chat with.  If an mmo had forced grouping as a feature, I simply would not buy it. 
    This reminded me of my first day in City of Heroes. Totally new game, totally new mechanics. I wanted to "figure myself out" before grouping up and while doing so, had no less than four invitations to group with others. I politely declined them all, not wanting to be the cause of others' deaths.

Now, it seems most groups are into speed runs to some goal called "end game." :wink:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChalpieChalpie Member CommonPosts: 6
    I like to be a lone wolf in life and in the games, so i feel like myself when i go out and solo, without parties. It sounds cliche, but i love to see the whole content of the game, all the stuff developers intended to be experienced.
    You see, everything in games are intentionally put there to experience, and when you rush through a few main points through dungeons with massive parties, you skip half the content. And coming back to it is underwhelming as you have powerleveled and everything is weak now if you go back.
    So i think developers are letting both player types to enjoy the game, even if the ones who grind through to the end game are winning the power battle, it's still fun.

There is nothing like being a stealth character running from party, or backstabbing one of the members in a massive pvp, and see others chasing you. Or in a more realistic scenario, they steal your mobs and kill you too fast XD
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Due to having odd hours and sometimes only being available for no more than 30 min at a time it's unrealistic to expect someone to be on at 3am in the morning for only 30 mins when the group content requires 45min - 1h of time. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

erm "no"

Actually Marn Grook, the aboriginal game from which some say Australian Football is derived, had no tackling at all. Definitely a form of football, one that is still played informally by school children as "kick to kick" and no tackling at all. Sorry, voluntary playing, no teams or sides, no real scoring, just athletic fun.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:

erm "no"

Actually Marn Grook, the aboriginal game from which some say Australian Football is derived, had no tackling at all. Definitely a form of football, one that is still played informally by school children as "kick to kick" and no tackling at all. Sorry, voluntary playing, no teams or sides, no real scoring, just athletic fun.
    I learned about Marn Grook today. Awesome! Thanks, @craftseeker :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Lone wolf is a viable character to play in an MMORPG.  I've played in just about every way over the years and have found solo play the most rewarding for me.  That's not to say I never group cause I do when needed and even join and play with guilds for a change of pace.  
    TillerKyleranAlBQuirky

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760
    I play alone because I like the living world feel mmos provide with other players running around doing whatever it is they do.  Something most single player games don't offer me.

I've got the straight edge.

• H3llsingH3llsing Member UncommonPosts: 11
    For me and my girlfriend... we only play the two of us because there is too much crap dealing with other people. It's always some idiot who doesn't know anything and acts like they do, or a drama filled group that is cussing eachother out and calling eachother noobs. So what reason would we want to group up or socialize with a bunch of idiots?
    Hariken
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Why even play a mmo if you don't want to deal with others just play single player games. Personally only consider a mmorpg FFXI which at the time 2003+ was forced group game and only reason I still check for new mmorpg is to find that experience again but will never happen so I keep my memories of playing a real mmorpg. I don't dislike single player games by any means but when I want a mmorpg is for team work and the joy it gives even when failing but sure mostly when winning the battles. I love to socialize with other like minded gamers in game chat, voip, but mainly to play together and that's my reason of playing a mmorpg otherwise why play online?
    craftseeker